Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
The Stones Staging - should they ‘up their game?’
Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: January 31, 2024 19:39

Ok, this might cause some debate, so let’s keep it friendly, OK?

But, as acts like U2 are wowing crowds at the Sphere in Vegas (I saw the show last month, and it is mind blowing, musically and visually) and many big names are routinely putting on ‘spectacles’, especially in stadiums, should The Rolling Stones be putting ‘more’ into their stage production? Of course we don’t know yet what they have in store for us this summer - but with a new album, a big new tour (and big ticket price tags to match) do we think - or want - that we’ll see a bit more ‘wow factor’ this year?

I personally think the simple, no frills, keep the focus on the music philosophy works really well in arenas, but let’s face it - the staging has gotten a bit ‘lackluster’ over the last few years. Think back to the Bridges, and Voodoo Lounge, and even Bigger Bang tours - there was some cool stuff going on. And I’m not suggesting they go over the top, but it might be fun to see something really impressive again. And I’m almost afraid to ask but - What are your thoughts?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-31 22:06 by bv.

Re: The Stones Staging - should they ‘up their game?’
Posted by: dedospegajosos ()
Date: January 31, 2024 19:48

DEmerson
Ok, this might cause some debate, so let’s keep it friendly, OK?

But, as acts like U2 are wowing crowds at the Sphere in Vegas (I saw the show last month, and it is mind blowing, musically and visually) and many big names are routinely putting on ‘spectacles’, especially in stadiums, should The Rolling Stones be putting ‘more’ into their stage production? Of course we don’t know yet what they have in store for us this summer - but with a new album, a big new tour (and big ticket price tags to match) do we think - or want - that we’ll see a bit more ‘wow factor’ this year?

I personally think the simple, no frills, keep the focus on the music philosophy works really well in arenas, but let’s face it - the staging has gotten a bit ‘lackluster’ over the last few years. Think back to the Bridges, and Voodoo Lounge tours - there was some cool stuff going on. And I’m not suggesting they go over the top, but it might be fun to see something really impressive again. And I’m almost afraid to ask but - What are your thoughts?

Totally agree, the last stage was incredibly hideous, the 4 screen towers was nice, but we need something cooler...the toilet shaped stage from 2012 was super cool too! Or the superbowl tongue! that was awesome and simple! The Voodoo stage was the best of all..anything but those awful standard festival shoebox stages please!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-31 19:49 by dedospegajosos.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 31, 2024 20:01

Less is more! ... don't need gimmicks, brass sections, Vegas background singers. Just the 5 plus keyboardist and saxophonist. A simple stage is fine as well.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 31, 2024 20:20

It doesn't matter. Just turn up and play. We're lucky if they can do just that. Don't expect to much, they are plus 80 now. The stage is of non importance whatsoever.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: January 31, 2024 20:39

What made me such a big fan WAS the spectacle in a stadium. On the Bridges tour, which for me, is the coolest stage ever - with that bridge that came out of nowhere!!!! The fireworks. The pyro and real flames on SFTD both of which are now gone and dampen the song IMHO. I've enjoyed some of the videos playing in the background over the years - the Licks girl comes to mind, as well as Don't Stop's video. Part of what makes it the greatest show on earth for me has always been the spectacle combined with the music. Slowly the music has been watered down to placate the masses, unfortunately, and the spectacle seems to have also been tuned down, and all I can think is that they're looking to keep more in their already overflowing pockets.......

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 31, 2024 20:39

I think they would want a nice stage. That's a big part of the concert experience. Maybe there wouldn't be a lot of extras like blow up dolls or decorations. I do like to see innovation, for example the draw bridge that took them out to the B-Stage. There's a lot of possibilities these days.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: January 31, 2024 20:41

With the "mini-tours" in recent years stage design always was a compromise between being economy and design. I can imagine if the HD tour is a bit bigger then we also might get a more special stage than on the Sixty tour.

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: January 31, 2024 20:56

Small tours have been an obstacle for making that investment obv. But yes!

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: January 31, 2024 21:37

Yes, they should up their game and have a wonderful new, exciting and innovative stage.
This is a STADIUM tour with very expensive tickets so let's have some fun. Impress us again. It's time to go out with a larger bang!

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: January 31, 2024 23:06

one truly giant screen above the stage would be great for me

they don't need much more then that just keep it simple

if they try to much on a limited budget we may just end up with something like the 60th stage again

i'd rather they have a big well made screen so that everyone can see them and a decent sound system so that everyone can hear them

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 1, 2024 00:00

ProfessorWolf

i'd rather they have a big well made screen so that everyone can see them and a decent sound system so that everyone can hear them

But this 'big well made screen' is also used at Desert-/Power Trip as well as by Taylor Swift (Eras Tour) and maybe others (U2). The Stones should again use something 'exclusive'.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 1, 2024 00:08

How about having seats onstage, so the fans can actually be onstage with them?

And if anyone leaves their seats Keith is allowed to chase them and swing his guitar at them.

Date: February 1, 2024 00:10

treaclefingers

And if anyone leaves their seats Keith is allowed to chase them and swing his guitar at them.

Did you skip the ABB tour entirely??????

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 1, 2024 06:21

Irix
ProfessorWolf

But this 'big well made screen' is also used at Desert-/Power Trip as well as by Taylor Swift (Eras Tour) and maybe others (U2). The Stones should again use something 'exclusive'.

well if it works for everyone elsewinking smiley

but yeah it be nice to have a new elborate and interesting looking stage i'm not opposed to that

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 1, 2024 06:36

Very long story short, going by memory, U2 was hoping for Phillips, the CD inventor (?) to foot the bill for a giant video screen for 1992-93 ZOOTV tours.

No.

U2 worked around it elsewise and include a B-stage at some point.

1994... The Rolling Stones have a video screen on stage similar to what U2 was hoping to do... and a rolling B-stage.

1997 (I do not recall if Pink Floyd was involved) the Stones dial the onstage media back and have a more central location... while U2 lights up a giant grocery cart.

Etc blah blah blah.

The greatest stage ever, that I've witnessed, was U2's 2017 THE JOUSHA TREE tour. What they did in 2017 onward... wow.

They work with the same people the Stones work with.

No Stones stage has ever come close. NO SECURITY was very cool. Maybe their best. That's a difficult area but in regard to video quality etc way better than VOODOO or BRIDGES (BANG was terrible).

With U2 at the Sphere perhaps the (US) football stadium experience will be better than pre-2020 with the Stones and whoever else (that can afford it, anyway).

Posted by: Handova ()
Date: February 1, 2024 09:04

tiffanyblu

Another reason to expand the Hackney Diamonds Tour somewhere else after the US dates, even if that is next year.

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: February 1, 2024 09:30

Handova
tiffanyblu

Another reason to expand the Hackney Diamonds Tour somewhere else after the US dates, even if that is next year.

yes, I am not against it grinning smiley

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 1, 2024 10:16

The wonderful sound, lighting and large screen technology available today should be employed in creating a more intimate stage atmosphere.

If well done it would allow a club show performance to be totally effective in a stadium.

...and surely age is now making all that running about on 50 yard wide stages a bit of an issue.

[ Imagine that technology being used to put us all front row for the "B" Stage. Many of us will remember what a great experience that was grinning smiley]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-01 10:55 by Spud.

Posted by: Barkerboy2 ()
Date: February 1, 2024 11:59

I would really love to see a big spectacle like Voodoo or Bridges. The last few stages have been very underwhelming.
I know it's about the music ultimately, but lets face it - ticket prices are disgusting these days, so I want as much bang for my buck as is possible to get!

Date: February 1, 2024 12:46

Yeah the 2022 one was not a pretty one. Did not like to no filter towers.

But I expect a standard stage like 2014/2015 and 2022.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: February 1, 2024 13:11

I don’t expect much. It’s not like they’re doing 150 shows over a years time. The days of Steel wheels through ABB stages are done.

Posted by: stonerolling ()
Date: February 1, 2024 15:48

Have seen a few tours over the years, Inc. B2B. The best, IMO, being the 4 tower screens. Not sure why, just worked really well.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: February 1, 2024 16:11

The tower screens were indeed great. I was about 15 rows from the PIT and thought I was watching them in a club. Stage wise you will never see the productions that went through ABB. The towers if I remember correctly were probably used for at least 2 tours but I’m thinking more

Date: February 1, 2024 16:21

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Date: February 1, 2024 16:22

VoodooLounge13
treaclefingers

I actually won a pair of onstage tickets.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: February 1, 2024 17:42

Yeah, I miss the big stages. I think the spectacle days are over, but 2014-2016 and 2023 were disappointingly generic, so hopefully a notch above that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-01 17:43 by Send It To me.

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: February 1, 2024 18:00

The No Filter Tour stage was amazing! Really impressive and innovative. The 60 stage was once again with the standard roof as in 2014-16, really underwhelming after what we were used to during the No Filter tour. But I guess since this is a new stadium tour which will likely span 2 years and this is already 19 concerts announced, this next stage will be cool!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 1, 2024 18:15

The Stones had with Hackney Diamonds a #1 album .... so they should have a #1 stage design-wise for the next tour(s).

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: February 1, 2024 18:16

Bashlets
The towers if I remember correctly were probably used for at least 2 tours but I’m thinking more

The No Filter towers were used in 2017 (Europe), 2018 (Europe), 2019 (US/Canada), 2021 (US).

Date: February 1, 2024 18:20

treaclefingers
VoodooLounge13
treaclefingers

I actually won a pair of onstage tickets.

Wow! Very cool! How was that experience?

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2512
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home