Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
classic rock radio in the U.S.
Date: December 7, 2005 00:55

Stinks; at least the Clear Channel station. I grew up in the eighties listening to 'deep cuts' from bands like the Stones, Zeppelin, Doors, Steely Dan, etc. It was refreshing then, but now just done to death. And they don't even play the NEW Stones material-- just the same ten or so tunes.

Any opinions? T&A, you were a DJ in the Seventies. What happened to radio???

Re: classic rock radio in the U.S.
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: December 7, 2005 01:03

don't listen much to it anymore, frankly. the 80's killed radio (or radio killed music, maybe?).

i'm sure there's some good underground stuff out there if I bothered to hunt for it. but, with several thousand albums to listen to of my own, not a whole lotta reason to bother.

sorry - no grand theories here....

Date: December 7, 2005 01:06

Yeah, underground radio can be pretty good if you're close enough to any low wattage stations.

Date: December 7, 2005 01:08

if I had to suggest a theory - it would be the obvious one - money. radio stations (almost all of them owned by conglomerates) are driven by the dollar...period. ratings are all that matters. didn't used to be like that - KSAN being the classic example. ratings drive formats...and you can figure out what happens from there....

Posted by: angieluvsmick ()
Date: December 7, 2005 02:09

WZLX 100FM in Boston.

Posted by: drake ()
Date: December 7, 2005 02:24

Its all formatted radio now. There are no DJs anymore. Now people just play what they're told to play.

Posted by: saturn57 ()
Date: December 7, 2005 03:52

Hey angielusmick, I listen to ZLX a lot, good station.

It's so very lonely, you're 2,000 Light Years from home

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: December 7, 2005 03:56

I just heard Little Stevie's Underground Garage this week and he covered R'n'R Circus really well. I guess that's a show not a station, but it was played on KQ92 in Minneapolis. Kept me in the car for the whole show.

You can hear it hear, check it out.

[www.littlestevensundergroundgarage.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-12-07 04:00 by camper88.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: December 7, 2005 05:01

i got a fairly new station here that will not play any classic rock , just the odd tracks & hidden gems , its great , it really caught on 2 , very popular now

Posted by: Treesnake2000 ()
Date: December 7, 2005 05:07

Move to Philadelphia.

Date: December 7, 2005 05:10

Classic rock stations play very little from '89 onwards.When I do listen to the radio,I prefer just a rock station like 94 WHJY www.whjy.com that plays all rock even though it is still too repetitive.

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: December 7, 2005 06:04

A station in Nashville played Little T & A the other day; not too shabby.

Posted by: winter ()
Date: December 7, 2005 08:39

everything's turnin' Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> What happened to radio???

A: the telecommunications Act of 1996.

Posted by: drake ()
Date: December 7, 2005 11:24

Some of you may have awesome stations in your towns/cities, but here in Louisville we have two major 'classic rock' stations. WQMF and WSFR. They're the only two classic rock stations. Sure they play some good tunes, but they're the same damn tunes every day. Honestly both stations are about the same with SFR playing the more predictable hits but they only cover the 70s and 80s prettymuch. QMF, on the otherhand, plays anything 'classic rock', meaning they played new Stones when ABB was released. Unfortunately they, like every other station, seem to fall into the whole formatted radio. The repetition is insane. Its as if they were given Hotrocks, some tunes off Some Girls, and thats it.

Here intown we have WFPK (public radio). I've heard ONNYA, Rough Justice, Back of My Hand and She Saw Me Coming on that station. I listen to alot of AM, hardly any FM. Its just junk now. I used to like those stations when I was kid, but hearing Taking Care of Business every hour on the hour just really started to get to me.

"NEXT UP LYNARD SKYNARD, FLEETWOOD MAC, ZZ TOP, JOHN MELLONCAMP, STYX, JOURNEY, FOREIGNER......" (Drake yawns and throws a mix cd into the deck containing Bloc Party, Stars and the Arcade Fire... none of which have recieved local radioplay)

Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: December 7, 2005 12:38

Same thing goes on here in Montreal.
If you tune in only on regular stations in the daytime, you'd say rock is a meager relic all right. Sometimes my daughter surprises me by telling me classic rock station CHOM is playing Hendrix's Wind Cries Mary...
But I can't stand all the commercials to get to that one candy, let alone when they're on auto-pilot (heavy rotating Taking Care of Business, etc.)!
Things sure ain't what they used to be: in the 70s, people (= the "man on the street") used to tune in to get their music (whatever style), SOME banter, also information, then they had to pay and suffer some through a commercial BREAK... Now it's all the other way around!!

Posted by: Jackass ()
Date: December 7, 2005 14:55

Yeah, Toronto sucks as well with Q107 (you guys remember them now don't yeah!) playing the same songs over and over again. You take someone like Neil Young, they play Cinnamon girl 20 times a day but you'll never get anything off Ragged Glory and onwards. (unless it's just out and they might play a new one for a little while) Same with the stones, nothing after Tattoo You. Very frustrating. they do ocasionally play an entire album side which is cool but usually they're the same as well (Dark Side, The Wall, Zep 4, etc.)

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 7, 2005 14:57

Sirius has a deep cuts station called "The Vault" - album cuts, etc.

Commercial radio seems stuck on the same saongs - Free Bird, Money, Stairway, Satisfaction....on and on. I can't take it any more. Try Sirius (they have an all-Stones channel BTW) or XM.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: December 7, 2005 15:04

Like camper 88 and Howard Stern say: GO SIRIUS!!
It is what cable TV is to regular TV. Corporate radio in USA is a disgrace. A couple years ago I was in a city where a major statyion changed format. The big deal was that they were going to play album tracks. For a week non stop there were no commercvials, all cool songs. Then the first crtacks appeared; a couple of ads. Then more, then the top 40 came. Now it is the smae as all others. There is no room for any original thoughts. College radio too. used to be "
alternative". That has become a label just like Top 40 or Cpountry, Rap. The format is just as restrictive.
On the chart of Sirius radio in Lil Steven's area in the Low 20's there are several other "Garage" stations. Thta is where it's at. best music around.
The other alternative is to program your own station on the Net. You mighjt have to pay a little but you can literally decide who you wnat bandwise, and employ the option that the channel can add other similar acts that fit the format. I used to do that. Trouble is I was limited to my Box.
There are some tiny college radio stations who play whatvere they want, the problem is they play the weirdest funkyass crap that nobody in their right mind wants to hear.

Posted by: Rickster ()
Date: December 7, 2005 20:31

Yes its sad to say seems classic rock stations in the US. only play the greatest hits not much new stuff from the classic rock artists and very few hidden gems its sad to say.

Date: December 7, 2005 20:49

camper 88, Little Steven's Underground Garage is a show that is syndicated AND a station on Sirius. In fact, Andrew Loog Oldham is one of the DJ's. He tells some great stories - Stoneswise and otherwise.

Posted by: R ()
Date: December 7, 2005 21:11

We have two in my town: WORS and WMoreOfIt....

With the advent of satellite radio skimming the cream of radio listening audiences it's only going to get worse.

MORE Skynyrd.

MORE Floyd.

Hard to imagine I realize. Truth be told, it's hard for the advertisers too because the audience that's left is rarely qualified to buy much.

Date: December 7, 2005 21:14

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
> camper 88, Little Steven's Underground Garage is a
> show that is syndicated AND a station on Sirius.
> In fact, Andrew Loog Oldham is one of the DJ's. He
> tells some great stories - Stoneswise and
> otherwise.

Elmo "Combo" Lewis,

I thought that was the case.

Anyway, if folks haven't listened to his most recent show, run don't walk to your computer and crank it up, it's a great show on The Stones' Rock'n'Roll Circus.

[www.littlestevensundergroundgarage.com]

For everyone who's beeen complaining about ticket prices, if you don't like Little Steven's show on the Circus, I'll give you your money back.

Date: December 7, 2005 21:16

When you hear Stairway, Free Bird or Hey Jude on the radio
Some DJ went to take a crap or smoke joint......

Date: December 7, 2005 21:28

Donkey Girl Scout Wrote:
> When you hear Stairway, Free Bird or Hey Jude on
> the radio
> Some DJ went to take a crap or smoke joint......

Or both.

Date: December 7, 2005 22:12

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida...the ultimate DJ shit (taking a or smoking) song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-12-07 22:12 by Elmo Lewis.

Date: December 7, 2005 22:16

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
> In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida...the ultimate DJ shit (taking
> a or smoking) song.
>
>
>
>

excellent. three logs and two joints worth!

Posted by: #6 ()
Date: December 7, 2005 22:18

You nailed it Winter.

If Fleetwood mac and Billy Joel among others are "classic" I reckon I need to start my own language.

Posted by: gut ()
Date: December 7, 2005 22:54

The "Jack" crap Format seems to be the new rage among the 30 to 40 crowd. I like some of it, but only in very small portions.

Classic Rock is dying on the radio.....listen while you still can.

#......Go ahead....Bite the Big Apple....Don't mind the Maggots.....Uh Huh...#

Posted by: gut ()
Date: December 7, 2005 22:57

The last semi-current Stones song I heard was a couple of years ago on what can be considered Classic rock radio was "Saint of Me". A song from 1997........

I have heard absolutely NOTHING from A Bigger Bang....pure silence. Radio and the kids don't seem to like this album.

#......Go ahead....Bite the Big Apple....Don't mind the Maggots.....Uh Huh...#

Posted by: R ()
Date: December 8, 2005 00:51

"Donkey Girl Scout Wrote:
> When you hear Stairway, Free Bird or Hey Jude on
> the radio
> Some DJ went to take a crap or smoke joint......
"

Most classic rock DJs today come into the studio, record their announcements and cutaways, digitally insert them in the appropriate spots in the computor and then leave for their second job. The whole process takes about 25 minutes for a four hour air-shift.

Those of you in the States who may be marveling that Alice Cooper has an evening show on many of the Clear Channel Stations... with an engineer he can record his parts for a whole week in about an hour and a half.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1702
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home