Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
“Jumping Jack Flash” Detroit 1969 , Reelin' In The Years Archive
Posted by: usetobesampeg ()
Date: December 31, 2023 19:22

Re: “Jumping Jack Flash” Detroit 1969 , Reelin' In The Years Archive
Posted by: mariano ()
Date: December 31, 2023 19:40

smoking smiley

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: December 31, 2023 19:50

Was the band ever any sexier, musically and otherwise? Wish the camera was on Keith more. I never get enough footage of him playing in '69. He was the star of the show I saw (The Forum, 2nd).

Date: December 31, 2023 20:11

usetobesampeg
[www.youtube.com]

Thank you for the upload Mr Ampeg.thumbs up I still wonder how their ears survived this? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: December 31, 2023 20:34

Boy, when i see this, how I would love to acquire a complete professionally shot 69 show of the Stones at the Garden before I leave this world. Such a shame that what's left over from what the Maysles filmed is just sitting in a vault somewhere gathering dust...

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: December 31, 2023 22:56

Keith was awesome at MSG in 1972 also

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 1, 2024 22:05

Love Reelin' in the Years. They were making great rock documentaries on Brit Invasion Bands right before the bottom fell out of the DVD market. While they got around to bands like the Hollies and the Small Faces, there were so many left that may never get interviewed. The Zombies, the Kinks, the Animals. Unfortunately NOTHING replaced the DVD market for concerts. There are fewer and fewer new releases. Only a band like the Stones can pull it off and I'll bet sales aren't that great.

Posted by: Zotz ()
Date: January 2, 2024 02:07

usetobesampeg
[www.youtube.com]

Notice Keith at 2:21 - Keith stops playing to pick up something from the floor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-02 02:08 by Zotz.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: January 2, 2024 03:50

Sighunt
Boy, when i see this, how I would love to acquire a complete professionally shot 69 show of the Stones at the Garden before I leave this world. Such a shame that what's left over from what the Maysles filmed is just sitting in a vault somewhere gathering dust...

if only there was a petition to get it releasedwinking smiley

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: January 2, 2024 08:19

something i noticed is that this clip looks noticeably better then the one they posted of sftd awhile ago

why is that?

was it remastered?

is it from a lower gen tape?

also pretty sure i can make out ian stewart at 2:49 in the light from a flash bulb on the side of the stage

hope midnight rambler is next up

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 2, 2024 11:22

I spot Stu as well.

Keith bends down to pick up his pick at 2.21 ?

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: January 2, 2024 11:22

Probably dropped his plectrum

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: January 2, 2024 13:06

Sighunt

I know, how we all wish we could see that footage. Knowing that there exists a full show (or shows, surely) from 1969, and we may never get to see them. At this point the only people interested would be the super fans, but for us super fans, it would mean the world. Any proshot footage from those years (besides the already released), 1969-1972, would be gold.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: January 2, 2024 19:57

How my
Thanks for the new year gift

I prefer Mick MSG's moves.... He was still polishing the act...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-02 20:04 by The Joker.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: January 2, 2024 19:59

IrelandCalling4
Sighunt

I know, how we all wish we could see that footage. Knowing that there exists a full show (or shows, surely) from 1969, and we may never get to see them. At this point the only people interested would be the super fans, but for us super fans, it would mean the world. Any proshot footage from those years (besides the already released), 1969-1972, would be gold.

I don't understand why they wait to release it. Most of the hardcore buyers will be ashes in 20 years...

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: January 2, 2024 20:18

Wonderful. Even the grainy footage does not detract from the power of where the band was at, and where the music was heading as this tour progressed. While I thought they kicked ass in Chicago where I saw them in 69, as Mick said" we really didn't get it on until Detroit".

Please release more music/video from this tour, while we are still alive to enjoy it!!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 2, 2024 20:43

filstan
Wonderful. Even the grainy footage does not detract from the power of where the band was at, and where the music was heading as this tour progressed. While I thought they kicked ass in Chicago where I saw them in 69, as Mick said" we really didn't get it on until Detroit".

Please release more music/video from this tour, while we are still alive to enjoy it!!

At the very least release it online, whatever, iTunes/Apple etc.

However, as much as that makes sense, it's not bound to happen since, even though they signed with UMG, who also distributes their ABKCO catalog, it's strictly up to ABKCO Records to decide - UMG has no say in it.

Date: January 2, 2024 22:21

A complete show from the 1972 tour besides L&G would be great

Date: January 2, 2024 23:23

GasLightStreet
filstan

However, as much as that makes sense, it's not bound to happen since, even though they signed with UMG, who also distributes their ABKCO catalog, it's strictly up to ABKCO Records to decide - UMG has no say in it.

Releasing the MSG shows online whether it be video and or CD would be the easiest and obvious choice. What perplexes me is Abkco went out of their way to release those copyright dumps of the MSG shows along with the other studio track tunes to meet the copyright deadlines in 2019. Sooo,wouldn't that mean that the push to retain those rights would translate into an eventual commercial release of said tunes, especially when they went out of their way to step on them via dial tone and/or lower bit rate to discourage bootleggers? Someone explain this to me or am I missing something?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-02 23:41 by Sighunt.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 3, 2024 14:57

The Joker
IrelandCalling4
Sighunt

I don't understand why they wait to release it. Most of the hardcore buyers will be ashes in 20 years...

According to the Maysles brothers they did not film complete shows. The tape canisters needed reloading every couple of minutes, so they made storyboards of when all the cameras would film and when not, to change the tape canister. They used Baltimore and a try out, they filmed parts of Miami as well, and decided to stay until Altamont to film some more additional footage.

Further, there likely do not exist many more film outtakes as the procedure back then was editing by actually cutting the tape with scissors and pasting it back, and all the outtakes were dropped to the floor and then discarded. So the outtakes that are available are mostly single camera shots that were not used for the movie.

Mathijs

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: January 3, 2024 15:01

Period.
Loud and dangerous.
Gold Stones Era.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: January 3, 2024 16:46

Mathijs
The Joker
IrelandCalling4
Sighunt

According to the Maysles brothers they did not film complete shows. The tape canisters needed reloading every couple of minutes, so they made storyboards of when all the cameras would film and when not, to change the tape canister. They used Baltimore and a try out, they filmed parts of Miami as well, and decided to stay until Altamont to film some more additional footage.

Further, there likely do not exist many more film outtakes as the procedure back then was editing by actually cutting the tape with scissors and pasting it back, and all the outtakes were dropped to the floor and then discarded. So the outtakes that are available are mostly single camera shots that were not used for the movie.

Mathijs

This is a very interesting discussion.When I developed the petition to release the complete audio tracks of the MSG shows, I received a couple of e-mails from Stones fans who attended the private/paid event in the mid 2000's in New York where the last living Maysle brother Albert showed footage of the Stones at MSG 69 that didn't make it in the film and both of these folks claim there was just enough footage (plus what has already been released in Gimme Shelter) to make up (just about) a complete show. That is why I opted in the petition to include the video with the audio. Now I don't know if these folks were bullshitting me or what but that was what was told to me.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 17:10 by Sighunt.

Date: January 3, 2024 17:00

Mathijs
The Joker
IrelandCalling4
Sighunt

Mathijs
How were the Beatles 3 years earlier able to film Shea Stadium concert.Didn’t they film the entire show.I know they were shorter shows back then, but it must have been about 40 minutes

Date: January 3, 2024 17:41

Sighunt
Mathijs
The Joker
IrelandCalling4
Sighunt

Mathijs

This is a very interesting discussion.When I developed the petition to release the complete audio tracks of the MSG shows, I received a couple of e-mails from Stones fans who attended the private/paid event in the mid 2000's in New York where the last living Maysle brother Albert showed footage of the Stones at MSG 69 that didn't make it in the film and both of these folks claim there was just enough footage (plus what has already been released in Gimme Shelter) to make up (just about) a complete show. That is why I opted in the petition to include the video with the audio. Now I don't know if these folks were bullshitting me or what but that was what was told to me.

It could be that if you combine all the available outtakes from the 4 shows that were recorded you have an almost complete show. What are we missing -Sympathy, Rambler, Stray Cat and Live With Me. It was mentioned they didn't film Rambler as it was too long.

Mathijs

Date: January 3, 2024 17:46

Taylor1
Mathijs
The Joker
IrelandCalling4
Sighunt

Mathijs
How were the Beatles 3 years earlier able to film Shea Stadium concert.Didn’t they film the entire show.I know they were shorter shows back then, but it must have been about 40 minutes

Weren't a couple of songs missing also due to tape reel changes? And wasn't Gimme Shelter shot on a different format for cinema instead of TV? I am not a Beatles or film expert....

Mathijs

Date: January 3, 2024 18:08

Mathijs
Sighunt
Mathijs
The Joker
IrelandCalling4
Sighunt

Mathijs

It could be that if you combine all the available outtakes from the 4 shows that were recorded you have an almost complete show. What are we missing -Sympathy, Rambler, Stray Cat and Live With Me. It was mentioned they didn't film Rambler as it was too long.

Mathijs

Mathijs- Regarding Sympathy & Rambler, Check out page 2 of the thread for Petition to get all 3 shows from MSG 1969 released via the comments from DearDoctor.

Date: January 3, 2024 18:43

Sighunt

Mathijs- Regarding Sympathy & Rambler, Check out page 2 of the thread for Petition to get all 3 shows from MSG 1969 released via the comments from DearDoctor.

That is excellent news, hope to see it appear!

Mathijs

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 3, 2024 19:36

GasLightStreet
filstan

Well, it's not just up to ABKCO decide - there is another party, The Rolling Stones. For any non-yet-released material they need to have an approval from the band as well. And I suppose it is the latter that is the actual problem here... (the material ABKCO released in youtube seems to an interesting case - if there is no band approval, that's technically illegal move by ABKCO..)

Anyway, I just read from Sighunt's great petition thread that then living Maysles Brother Albert did approach the Stones once with the non-released GIMME SHELTER material, but they show no interest. Anyway, that probably happened quite a long ago - prior the the Stones started opening the vaults. Before that the Stones did not generally show much interest on their past doings, especially if it concerned the ABKCO era.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 19:53 by Doxa.

Date: January 4, 2024 13:20

Doxa

Well, it's not just up to ABKCO decide - there is another party, The Rolling Stones. For any non-yet-released material they need to have an approval from the band as well. And I suppose it is the latter that is the actual problem here... (the material ABKCO released in youtube seems to an interesting case - if there is no band approval, that's technically illegal move by ABKCO..)

- Doxa

With Gimme Shelter material I think the situation could be more complicated than just Stones and ABKCO, as rights are with Maysels, Criterion Collection, Ron Schneider, Porter Bibb, Penforta, etc.

Mathijs

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: January 6, 2024 00:04

We should consider GYYYO expanded release to be a miracle.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2600
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home