Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones at Coachella?
Posted by: vibrolux ()
Date: December 30, 2023 00:50

I'll start at the end and say no way.

But my daughter keeps hearing rumors of it. She's pretty connected in the Coachella world, but not in Stonesland. She got wind of some of last year's surprises ahead of time. But I keep telling her no way. The Stones are not playing Coachella. Not after the Desert Trip when Jagger lost his voice in the dry desert air.

I finally made a bet with her. If the Stones play Coachella, I'm going with her (even though it's a long haul for me). If not, she's gotta come up to my place and take me out for dinner at a restaurant of my choice. I think it's a safe bet.

But does anyone here think there's any chance that the Stones actually drop the surprise of surprises and headline a night at Coachella?

Re: Stones at Coachella?
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 30, 2023 01:21

A nice dinner out with your daughter will be nice!

While theoretically possible, that means they launch their tour at Coachella...possible but not plausible as far as I would be concerned.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 30, 2023 01:35

Interesting.. timing would sure be right.

The two weekends run April 12-21 this year, milder weather than the last time they played the venue, no doubt. (highs in the mid-eighties as opposed to 100+ ?). Doesn't help with the dust.. but? My hunch is her info is accurate.. enjoy the trip winking smiley

Not sure I'd make the trip again..(running for the rail nearly killed me last time lol) but really hope the Stones do!

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: December 30, 2023 02:45

smoking smiley......no

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-30 03:09 by mariano.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: December 30, 2023 03:32

vibrolux

I finally made a bet with her. If the Stones play Coachella, I'm going with her (even though it's a long haul for me). If not, she's gotta come up to my place and take me out for dinner at a restaurant of my choice. I think it's a safe bet.

If you lose, you're out by a couple of thousand dollars; if you win, she's out by - what - $200? Does the small print allow you to choose a restaurant in another country? And can you bring 50 friends?

Posted by: artedm ()
Date: December 30, 2023 06:45

coachella
Weekend 1 is Friday, April 12–Sunday, April 14
Weekend 2 is Friday, April 19–Sunday, April 21
the lineup repeats both weekends
the 2023 lineup was announced January 10th

the stones promoter does coachella and also jazz fest

coachella does have surprise unannounced guests that generate buzz

Date: December 30, 2023 06:50

If Mick showed up at the sphere in vegas during a phish show April 18,19.20,21 that would also generate buzz

Phish covered the Rolling Stones’ “Exile on Main Street” at Festival 8 in Indio, California
[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: December 30, 2023 13:46

artedm
coachella
Weekend 1 is Friday, April 12–Sunday, April 14
Weekend 2 is Friday, April 19–Sunday, April 21
the lineup repeats both weekends
the 2023 lineup was announced January 10th

the stones promoter does coachella and also jazz fest

coachella does have surprise unannounced guests that generate buzz

Although appearances at Coacella would fit nicely into the Stones' tour schedule I don't think they'll do it.
1. their tour is already the longest in ten years – 19 shows
2. they are already doing four shows only between 150 and 250 miles away from Coachella (Glendale, Las Vegas, 2x LA)

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: December 30, 2023 20:29

Coachella doesn't need the buzz or the extra talent expense, Stones do not need the extra shows and Mick not risking the tour to sing in the dust for 2 weekends. Don't see it happening. More likely to play Glastonbury

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: December 30, 2023 22:07

daspyknows
Coachella doesn't need the buzz or the extra talent expense, Stones do not need the extra shows and Mick not risking the tour to sing in the dust for 2 weekends. Don't see it happening. More likely to play Glastonbury

I totally agree with you .

Posted by: SecondSet ()
Date: December 31, 2023 19:00

I've been tipped that some have taken my words here some weeks or months back as an indication that the Stones were playing Coachella, and run way too far in the wrong direction with a similar sort of ball as they have mistaken in the past.

As I thought was clear at the time, Coachella was NOT the festival to which I was referring. I'm not going to name the other festival from the same promoter in the same location, but it should be quite obvious. While I certainly can't say for sure that the Stones won't risk Valley Fever again by playing either festival this year, I'd be rather surprised if they did so after booking two stadium shows in LA and three more in Vegas, Phoenix, and the Bay. Perhaps Mick will sit-in with a younger, more of-the-moment, probably-female artist of the sort who sounds likely to headline. Hi Barbie?

As for that other festival, I was informed that it was in the works by a well-placed source, but can't guarantee that something hasn't changed in the intervening months.

Date: January 2, 2024 18:00

And to clarify further, I never had intelligence that the Stones would be playing that other festival, only that it would be happening.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 2, 2024 19:29

SecondSet
And to clarify further, I never had intelligence that the Stones would be playing that other festival, only that it would be happening.

No further clarification needed. Had me at "I never had intelligence..."

Rumor isn't based on your musings secondset, see above post from vibrolux as well as other speculations.

Official appearances at JazzFest and Coachella in the same tour..
I think there is a decent shot smileys with beer

Date: January 6, 2024 00:22

rumor that coachella's three headliners might be:
Lana Del Rey, Tyler, The Creator, Doja Cat

[hitsdailydouble.com]

"There was also talk of possible top slots for The Rolling Stones"

Date: January 6, 2024 01:05

artedm

[hitsdailydouble.com]

A quick survey of recent headliners will indicate that Coachella isn't for Gen X or Millennial boppers anymore (not to mention the really oldsters) . . .

Bad Bunny, Blackpink, Frank Ocean, Blink-182 (last minute addition after Frank flamed out)

Harry Styles, Billie Eilish, Swedish House Mafia + The Weeknd.

Childish Gambino, Tame Impala, Ariana Grande

Date: January 6, 2024 01:13

Afraid to say it but Lana is my secret crush. Hope
To see her in 24

Posted by: FeelslikeaGhost ()
Date: January 6, 2024 07:39

DeanGoodman
artedm

[hitsdailydouble.com]

A quick survey of recent headliners will indicate that Coachella isn't for Gen X or Millennial boppers anymore (not to mention the really oldsters) . . .

Bad Bunny, Blackpink, Frank Ocean, Blink-182 (last minute addition after Frank flamed out)

A quick look at the Coachella subreddit, I found this poll asking users who they want to headline Coachella, The Rolling Stones ranked 3rd highest overall.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-06 07:40 by FeelslikeaGhost.

Date: January 11, 2024 07:56

Some reports on social media the Coachella lineup is late. Because the third headliner is unconfirmed

Date: January 12, 2024 07:46

MisterDDDD
SecondSet

No further clarification needed. Had me at "I never had intelligence..."

Rumor isn't based on your musings secondset, see above post from vibrolux as well as other speculations.

Official appearances at JazzFest and Coachella in the same tour..
I think there is a decent shot smileys with beer

I was referring to discussions happening elsewhere. The subjects of discussion knew who they were.

Date: January 12, 2024 07:47

FeelslikeaGhost
DeanGoodman
artedm

[hitsdailydouble.com]

A quick look at the Coachella subreddit, I found this poll asking users who they want to headline Coachella, The Rolling Stones ranked 3rd highest overall.

I would not assume that a sample of that forum is representative of festival attendees or the target demographic.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: January 12, 2024 20:22

DeanGoodman
vibrolux

If you lose, you're out by a couple of thousand dollars; if you win, she's out by - what - $200? Does the small print allow you to choose a restaurant in another country? And can you bring 50 friends?

If he loses he gets to go to the Stones, if he wins he'll have a lovely dinner with his daughter. Sounds like a win/win bet to me.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Date: January 17, 2024 02:26

So much for that (as expected).

Well, at least the Gen Xers get a bit of nostalgia in the form of a No Doubt reunion. (They were great openers for the Stones.)

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: January 17, 2024 06:23

No doubt!

Date: January 17, 2024 16:50

As I said...

DeanGoodman
So much for that (as expected).

Well, at least the Gen Xers get a bit of nostalgia in the form of a No Doubt reunion. (They were great openers for the Stones.)

Of no interest to this Gen Xer, but in addition to having some continuing tabloid-related profile with younger generations, they're also locals in some sense, like Saturday second-liners Sublime and last year's late quasi-headliner addition, blink-182.

Point stands, though, that this is now a festival at which Gen Xers are the old folks, the likes of blur functions as a legacy act, and the festival's own semi-fashionable brand - which is nearly enough to sell it out without a single act announced - stands above a lineup managed not just to increase profit margins and promote up-and-coming acts but also for something like diversity (in other than age), equity, and inclusion, as the kids say.

It's highly improbable that a planet with its own gravity like Taylor Swift would headline Coachella at this point. While there might or might not be a fair amount of overlap, her more-than-stadium-sized audience would cannibalize the usual festival audience. A similar act twice her age with far less overlap, to put it gingerly, would be even less likely. That's what their separate festivals like Desert Trip are for. Again, not to say that the Stones are headlining that festival - I doubt it at this point.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-17 16:59 by SecondSet.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2517
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home