Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Why doesn’t Satisfaction live have the fat fuzzy guitar sound on the record?
Posted by: donvis ()
Date: December 25, 2023 05:10

Same with Can’t You Hear Me Knocking? Why don’t the live versions have the fat fuzzy sound of the records? That is actually what makes them good.

Re: Why doesn’t Satisfaction live have the fat fuzzy guitar sound on the record?
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 25, 2023 05:20

Because Keith doesn't use that pedal, he uses a Marshall 100 watt amp (or whatever).

Re: Why doesn’t Satisfaction live have the fat fuzzy guitar sound on the record?
Date: December 25, 2023 11:27

donvis
Same with Can’t You Hear Me Knocking? Why don’t the live versions have the fat fuzzy sound of the records? That is actually what makes them good.

Listen to the VL-versions of Satisfaction and the Zip Code-versions of CYHMK.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: December 25, 2023 11:44

At the beginning of the Sixty tour they used some kind of fuzz pedal for the intro of Satisfaction but they dropped it after a few shows

[youtu.be]

Personally I don't need it. Live is live and studio is studio. Neither do I need a choir on YCAGWYW. But that's just me

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-25 11:48 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 25, 2023 11:56

DandelionPowderman
donvis

Keith’s Les Paul tone was sublime during the renditions on that tour. He really ‘rocked’ it up. Great playing.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: December 25, 2023 16:49

For me, the VL and B2B tour versions of Satisfaction are the only approved ones of the song played through the modern Stones era (1989-). Other than them…meh.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 25, 2023 17:35

To me it looks like that Keith is not such a fan of any "fat fuzzy" guitar sounds at all. He never been a fan of fuzz boxes or pedals of any sort. It's the guitar, the amp and the man... The use of fuzz box in "Satisfaction" was a trick to mimic sax horn sound or something. I guess for many hearing that was like an eye-opening moment at the time - this is the future of guitar sound, but for Keith it seemed to be like a one-time experiment, not something to build one's guitar sound from then on.

- Doxa

Date: December 25, 2023 17:47

Doxa
To me it looks like that Keith is not such a fan of any "fat fuzzy" guitar sounds at all. He never been a fan of fuzz boxes or pedals of any sort. It's the guitar, the amp and the man... The use of fuzz box in "Satisfaction" was a trick to mimic sax horn sound or something. I guess for many hearing that was like an eye-opening moment at the time - this is the future of guitar sound, but for Keith it seemed to be like a one-time experiment, not something to build one's guitar sound from then on.

- Doxa

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 25, 2023 17:57

GasLightStreet
Doxa

- Doxa

So why do you have a pic of a phaser?

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: December 25, 2023 18:22

DandelionPowderman
donvis

't Was good to see Keith playing a Les Paul again, methinks.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 25, 2023 18:29

Keith or Pierre or somebody could step on the pedal at the appropriate time. Would sound better.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: December 25, 2023 18:31

Check out the live Ed Sullivan version. It’s there.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 25, 2023 18:35

GasLightStreet
Doxa

- Doxa

Hehe... I was sure someone will come with whatever counter example... Because there are many. Keith is never a purist, and he has had many different phases, experiments and so on during his long career that has seen a lot of changes in guitar sound technology and aesthetics. Probably to avoid such a reading I should have wrote "he never been that big fan of fuzz boxes or pedals of any sort. It's basically the guitar, the amp and the man". For anything else, he has a pretty mild attitude.

And it is one of those very reasons I've been a big fan of his guitar sound all-over the years. It is like belonging to the same philosophy as he plays the guitar.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-25 18:37 by Doxa.

Date: December 25, 2023 19:27

SomeGuy
DandelionPowderman
donvis

Remember that the juniors also are Les Pauls, but I know what you mean smiling smiley

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: December 25, 2023 22:29

DandelionPowderman
SomeGuy
DandelionPowderman
donvis

Remember that the juniors also are Les Pauls, but I know what you mean smiling smiley

Of course winking smiley

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: December 25, 2023 23:13

I really like the VL version of Satisfaction.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: December 26, 2023 01:56

Doxa
GasLightStreet
Doxa

- Doxa

Hehe... I was sure someone will come with whatever counter example... Because there are many. Keith is never a purist, and he has had many different phases, experiments and so on during his long career that has seen a lot of changes in guitar sound technology and aesthetics. Probably to avoid such a reading I should have wrote "he never been that big fan of fuzz boxes or pedals of any sort. It's basically the guitar, the amp and the man". For anything else, he has a pretty mild attitude.

And it is one of those very reasons I've been a big fan of his guitar sound all-over the years. It is like belonging to the same philosophy as he plays the guitar.

- Doxa

He may have used a Phaser on the '81-'82 tour. Or was that a flanger? Beast of Burden, etc.

Date: December 26, 2023 03:39

More Hot Rocks
GasLightStreet
Doxa

- Doxa

So why do you have a pic of a phaser?

I highlighted something Doxa said; this is the one pedal Keith has always loved.

Date: December 26, 2023 11:33

He was quite fond of the analogue delay, too, at least for a while.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 26, 2023 13:51

The MXR Analog Delay and Phase 100 in action.

Mathijs

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1901
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home