Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: The Cassette Tape Revolution
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 26, 2023 21:20

MAF

Tattoo You (40th Anniversary) (Red MC)

Tattoo You (2021 Cassette) - [www.Discogs.com] . Red MC - [www.jpc.de] .

Goats Head Soup (2020 Cassette) - [www.Discogs.com] .

Hackney Diamonds (2023 Cassette) - [RSno9.co.uk] , [www.Discogs.com] .

Keith Richards - Talk Is Cheap / Live At The Hollywood Palladium (2022 RSD Cassette) - [RecordStoreDay.com] , [www.Discogs.com] .

Keith Richards - Main Offender / Winos Live In London '92 (2022 RSD Cassette) - [www.HHV.de] , [www.Discogs.com] .

Tape in general: 1489 articles at HHV Records - [www.HHV.de] - (set Format filter to Tape, stocked items only).

Also 455 Pop/Rock cassettes at [www.jpc.de] .

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-26 22:05 by Irix.

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: November 26, 2023 21:26

Big Al
SomeGuy
I think a proper tape deck and proper cassette tape can offer a pretty good sound quality.

What is IPA beer anyway winking smiley

India Pale Ale. The name derives from the beer that the British brewers would ship to the serving military personnel in British India. They would add extra hops, so that the beer wouldn’t spoil during the long voyage. The beer evolved into becoming a style of its own.

A good IPA is a glorious drop. It ideally should have a higher abv. and be extra hoppy.

I like British IPA but those American IPA's that are filled with lots of different fruits aren't my cup of tea.

Date: November 26, 2023 21:26

Yes, but that was very very limited edition, therefore for example Hackney Diamonds I did not manage to buy and they even weren't available in my country (Czechia).

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 27, 2023 10:07

Single Malt
Big Al
SomeGuy
I think a proper tape deck and proper cassette tape can offer a pretty good sound quality.

India Pale Ale. The name derives from the beer that the British brewers would ship to the serving military personnel in British India. They would add extra hops, so that the beer wouldn’t spoil during the long voyage. The beer evolved into becoming a style of its own.

A good IPA is a glorious drop. It ideally should have a higher abv. and be extra hoppy.

I like British IPA but those American IPA's that are filled with lots of different fruits aren't my cup of tea.

Yes, I agree with you. These so-called 'West Coast IPA's', and anything part of the 'craft beer revolution' are off-putting for me. Multi-coloured cans, and overpriced. I want my beer to taste of beer; not some tropical mango infusion.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 27, 2023 10:21

ROCKMAN

Date: November 27, 2023 10:51

Got a heap of cassettes .... still sealed .....

...$20 for a single cassette !!! ....
...... must be from the early 1980's ....

ROCKMAN

Date: November 27, 2023 11:02

ROCKMAN

Date: November 27, 2023 11:48

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 27, 2023 12:23

treaclefingers
SomeGuy

So...if I read you correctly, what you're saying is that if everything is perfect, the result is "pretty good".

I don't plan on getting the Nakamichi Dragon any time soon, so I guess I'll stick with vinyl!

I preferred the Nakamichi CR-7 for pure sound quality grinning smiley

[Still have an old Denon DRM-44HX in perfectly good maintained order...but used most often in source monitor mode as a head phone amplifier]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-27 15:07 by Spud.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: November 27, 2023 13:44

This was my favorite tape. I still have many mixed tapes and the order of the songs is in my head. Whenever a song stops I can hear the next one already.

Date: November 27, 2023 13:48

Happy to see some nice tapes :-)

Date: November 28, 2023 08:06

Rockman
IPA ---- I Piss Anywhere ....

Rockman, there's someone I know that likes to drink IPA. I told him what you said and he thought it was hilarious.

Then it got me thinking about what The Stones did in the 60's noted here.

Date: November 28, 2023 08:12

YEah Mr Forever ....
I was puttin a spin on that ole famous one .... glad ya noticed..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 31, 2024 13:40

New cassette players:

FiiO CP13 - available from spring 2024 - [www.FiiO.com] , [www.Instagram.com] , [www.WhatHiFi.com]

Retro-Boombox Medion P66538 - [www.Medion.com] , [www.Medion-Fabrikverkauf.de]

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: January 31, 2024 14:44

Big Al
Single Malt
Big Al
SomeGuy

Yes, I agree with you. These so-called 'West Coast IPA's', and anything part of the 'craft beer revolution' are off-putting for me. Multi-coloured cans, and overpriced. I want my beer to taste of beer; not some tropical mango infusion.

I used to like IPAs when they were IPAs that picked up the oak flavor from the barrels they were stored in (and also higher ABV to survive the long trip from Britain to India).

Now they just dump too many hops in to where it tastes like hay and call it an India Pale Ale for no apparent reason.

Date: January 31, 2024 14:52

jumpingjackflash5
CD offers 16/44.1 sound, which requires careful mastering, dithering and filtering to sound right.
Yes they are better in measurements than analog.
Vinyl is very good analog, but it is "read-only" and deteriorates faster with playing than cassettes.
Well adjusted deck with Dolby B/C/HXPRO gives a very nice sound on both playback and recording.
It would be nice to have new albums also on cassettes.

Or theoretically, design a new analog tape format that overcomes some of the limitations
of cassette (with wider tracks, e.g.), provide machines with dual decks (cassette/new) and agree on it with all major players on the market. Then the cassettes could be transferred/played back and the new format could catch up. If that ain't possible then cassettes can do a lot as they are defined.

I used to buy a lot of those Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab Half Speed Master albums on vinyl, play them once, record them, put them in a plastic cover and file them away and only play the cassette.

They sounded great except for tape hiss on the quiet parts.

I always thought Dolby reduced the treble too much so typically didn't use it and put up with the tape hiss.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: January 31, 2024 23:12

kovach
jumpingjackflash5
CD offers 16/44.1 sound, which requires careful mastering, dithering and filtering to sound right.
Vinyl is very good analog, but it is "read-only" and deteriorates faster with playing than cassettes.
Well adjusted deck with Dolby B/C/HXPRO gives a very nice sound on both playback and recording.

Or theoretically, design a new analog tape format that overcomes some of the limitations
of cassette (with wider tracks, e.g.), provide machines with dual decks (cassette/new) and agree on it with all major players on the market. Then the cassettes could be transferred/played back and the new format could catch up. If that ain't possible then cassettes can do a lot as they are defined.

I used to buy a lot of those Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab Half Speed Master albums on vinyl, play them once, record them, put them in a plastic cover and file them away and only play the cassette.

I always thought Dolby reduced the treble too much so typically didn't use it and put up with the tape hiss.

i do the same thing now with records

and i agree about dolby too

Date: February 1, 2024 04:02

ProfessorWolf
kovach
jumpingjackflash5

Dolby to me was kind of...do I want to hear cymbals as intended but possibly with some tape hiss, or no hiss but cymbals sounding like they were being played with a towel thrown over them.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 1, 2024 05:59

treaclefingers
I made mix tapes quite a bit, it was an 'event' for me on the weekend, where it'd take me 3 hours to curate a 90 minute tape.

I'd also record new albums to tape and listen to that exclusively, leaving the vinyl pristine (still is after all these years).

There were the annoyances ie tape hiss, tapes getting eaten in your car, the having to listen to each song in it's entirety while it recorded (let's call it a missed blessing, because presumably you did actually want to hear the song or you wouldn't be recording it).

Digital wiped all that away really quickly, first to mixed cd's and now just playlists. A fun era which I miss, but there isn't any going back. Still have a few dozen tapes (mostly home-made chrome tapes - who could afford metal?! Ha Ha!).

Oh my - how you defined it exactly.

I made - with a cassette deck that managed to cut/splice seamlessly somehow - an excellent shortened (one LP) verion of LOVE YOU LIVE that I listened to for I don't know how long on my cassette Walkman.

Etc on and on. Was taking REWIND and adding in wherever other tunes to expand it, like Neighbors, Hang Fire, She's So Cold... obviously now it would be called REWIND DELUXE... as a playlist.

I don't miss the years of spending x amount of hours putting these "mix tapes" together - the digital playlist realm has eased that pain - I spent way less time making, and being extremely precise, CD comps (my REWIND EXPANDED is to die for) - especially when changing your mind about something.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 1, 2024 06:16

kovach
ProfessorWolf
kovach
jumpingjackflash5

Dolby to me was kind of...do I want to hear cymbals as intended but possibly with some tape hiss, or no hiss but cymbals sounding like they were being played with a towel thrown over them.

bingo

exactly my thoughts on the matter

plus i like a little tape hiss

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1687
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home