Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Ronnie Wood is terrific
Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: November 18, 2023 18:29

Of course he can shine. Like a diamond. Almost like he used to do in The Faces. At last someone gave him the chance to do so - Watt. Somebody else wanted to be the number one guitarplayer on the albums from 1989-2005. Now we can enjoy both on one record. When you are really involved in something - and trusted - you grow.smiling smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 19, 2023 06:05

Ronnie established his Stonesism between the 1978 and 1983 albums in terms of what he does/offers, with some magical playing on each album.

After that, not much.

He had some excellent playing on STEEL WHEELS but since then has essentially been reduced to not much - until HACKNEY DIAMONDS.

Posted by: woodyweaving ()
Date: November 20, 2023 10:21

GasLightStreet
Ronnie established his Stonesism between the 1978 and 1983 albums in terms of what he does/offers, with some magical playing on each album.

After that, not much.

He had some excellent playing on STEEL WHEELS but since then has essentially been reduced to not much - until HACKNEY DIAMONDS.

I've always felt like Ron gets the short end of the stock in some regards. He isn't one of the primary songwriters, and he was present with the band during their (arguably) fall from the top after say '83 or there abouts (I know we can all argue about specifics) but I don't think it's his fault.

I think any other guitarist would have struggled under the same conditions (whatever happened with Mick and Keith duo disagreements & songwriting efforts). Not a lot of successful rock acts (or acts at all) from the seventies had a very good 80s period. Unfortunately for Ron, if the band's songwriting duo aren't working together well and producing good songs that doesn't leave much opportunity to shine.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 20, 2023 14:13

woodyweaving
GasLightStreet

After that, not much.

I've always felt like Ron gets the short end of the stock in some regards. He isn't one of the primary songwriters, and he was present with the band during their (arguably) fall from the top after say '83 or there abouts (I know we can all argue about specifics) but I don't think it's his fault.

I think any other guitarist would have struggled under the same conditions (whatever happened with Mick and Keith duo disagreements & songwriting efforts). Not a lot of successful rock acts (or acts at all) from the seventies had a very good 80s period. Unfortunately for Ron, if the band's songwriting duo aren't working together well and producing good songs that doesn't leave much opportunity to shine.

There are more Ron Wood songs than Mick Jagger songs on DIRTY WORK, so in a way that album was the highlight of Ron as far as being a profilic writer and contributer in the context of the Stones. In a way that was a continuum from the previous albums him being very crucial player in the heart of the band contributing very much how the albums from SOME GIRLS would sound like. He was very close to Mick or Keith (best times with both). For example, teaming up with Mick for SOME GIRLS and UNDERCOVER and then with Keith for DIRTY WORK. That was a great 'Ronnie Wood Era'. (Add there the Ancient Art of Weaving, etc).

Anyway, something happened in the band chemistry after the so called WWIII. Mick and Keith made their peace, but to me Ronnie was the odd man out since then. Like he was a pawn they crucified for the peace: him not teaming up with neither of them since then.

Or it could be that I am too dramatical here, and it is not about band power politics. It could've been that both Mick and Keith, after their solo adventures, just naturally drifted apart from Ronnie, both having found new sparring partners to write with/develop their ideas. The Stones from then on was more like a compromise between these two courts with Ronnie having no central role any longer. His songs ideas were not needed, just him like a side player adding his guitar parts here and there.

I don't think that hasn't changed in HACKNEY DIAMONDS either (The Stones is creatively a pure Mick and Keith show, and Ronnie having no access to the creative heart of the band). But what is different is that Ronnie's contributions are more emphasized, and him also playing more distinctively, than for ages. Actually it started on BLUE&LONESOME already, but now it truely shines. I pretty much give credit to Andrew Watt here: him knowing what kind of secret weapon the band has in Ronnie Wood.

Another thing to consider is that since Charlie's passing, Ronnie's voice is probably needed more than ever. He with Mick and Keith is all there is left from the original Rolling Stones sound. So there naturally is more room for Ronnie in order to the Stones sound like the Stones. Altogether I think all three originals all shine in the new album.

- Doxa

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-20 14:23 by Doxa.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 20, 2023 14:15

MrForeverMusicFan
sf37
I must agree with the comments thus far in that Ronnie is perfect for this band. He is talented and is the ultimate peace-keeper and team player.

I recall an interview with Ronnie sometime in the mid 80's when things were looking darker, and he was asked if the Stones would consider going on yet another tour at some point. His immediate reply was "well, you'll always get a 'yes' from me".

sf37, where you quote the lyric "Ride like the wind at double speed....." from 'Start Me Up' in your signature:

I have to wonder if Mick Jagger was inspired by Christopher Cross's song 'Ride Like The Wind' to write that lyric.

Also Frank Zappa (featuring Al Di Meola) and Saxon have covered the song.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 20, 2023 14:20

Doxa
woodyweaving
GasLightStreet

After that, not much.

There are more Ron Wood songs than Mick Jagger songs on DIRTY WORK, so in a way that album was the highlight of Ron as far as being a profilic writer and contributer in the context of the Stones. In a way that was a continuum from the previous albums him being very crucial player in the heart of the band contributing very much how the albums from SOME GIRLS would sound like. He was very close to Mick or Keith (best times with both). For example, teaming up with Mick for SOME GIRLS and UNDERCOVER and then with Keith for DIRTY WORK. That was a great 'Ronnie Wood Era'. (Add there the Ancient Art of Weaving, etc).

Anyway, something happened in the band chemistry after the so called WWIII. Mick and Keith made their peace, but to me Ronnie was the odd man out since then. Like he was a pawn they crucified for the peace: him not teaming up with neither if them since then.

Or it could be that I am too dramatical here. It could've been that both Mick and Keith, after their solo adventures, just naturally drifted apart from Ronnie, both having found new sparring partners to write with/develop their ideas. The Stones from then on was more like a compromise between these two courts with Ronnie having no central role any longer. His songs ideas were not needed, just him like a side player adding his guitar parts here and there.

I don't think that hasn't changed in HACKNEY DIAMONDS either (The Stones is creatively a pure Mick and Keith show, and Ronnie having no access to the creative heart of the band). But what is different is that Ronnie's contributions are more emphasized, and him also playing more distinctively, for ages. Actually it started on BLUE&LONESOME already, but now it truely shines. I pretty much give credit to Andrew Watt here: him knowing what kind of secret weapon the band has in Ronnie Wood.

Another thing to consider is that since Charlie's passing, Ronnie's voice is probably needed more than ever. He with Mick and Keith is all there is left from the original Rolling Stones sound. So there naturally is more room for Ronnie in order the Stones sound like the Stones. Altogether I think all three originals all shine in the new album.

- Doxa

And don't forget he's needed even more now that Keith can't play like he used to with his arthritis. The solo he plays on Bite My Head Off after Macca's bass solo is one of the best he's ever played with the Stones. In the past that would have been played by Keith but it's telling that Ronnie stepped in - something we've seen more live on the last couple of tours.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 28, 2023 16:39

Silver Dagger
Doxa
woodyweaving
GasLightStreet

After that, not much.

Anyway, something happened in the band chemistry after the so called WWIII. Mick and Keith made their peace, but to me Ronnie was the odd man out since then. Like he was a pawn they crucified for the peace: him not teaming up with neither if them since then.

Or it could be that I am too dramatical here. It could've been that both Mick and Keith, after their solo adventures, just naturally drifted apart from Ronnie, both having found new sparring partners to write with/develop their ideas. The Stones from then on was more like a compromise between these two courts with Ronnie having no central role any longer. His songs ideas were not needed, just him like a side player adding his guitar parts here and there.

I don't think that hasn't changed in HACKNEY DIAMONDS either (The Stones is creatively a pure Mick and Keith show, and Ronnie having no access to the creative heart of the band). But what is different is that Ronnie's contributions are more emphasized, and him also playing more distinctively, for ages. Actually it started on BLUE&LONESOME already, but now it truely shines. I pretty much give credit to Andrew Watt here: him knowing what kind of secret weapon the band has in Ronnie Wood.

Another thing to consider is that since Charlie's passing, Ronnie's voice is probably needed more than ever. He with Mick and Keith is all there is left from the original Rolling Stones sound. So there naturally is more room for Ronnie in order the Stones sound like the Stones. Altogether I think all three originals all shine in the new album.

- Doxa

And don't forget he's needed even more now that Keith can't play like he used to with his arthritis. The solo he plays on Bite My Head Off after Macca's bass solo is one of the best he's ever played with the Stones. In the past that would have been played by Keith but it's telling that Ronnie stepped in - something we've seen more live on the last couple of tours.

The recent live rendition, especially. It's a great solo. I may have said this earlier in the thread, but I thought Blue & Lonesome was a turning-point of sorts. Whilst there's a few fine 'Keith moments', the album, to me, really feels like Ronnie's taking the reins guitar-wise. I also find it somewhat telling that Keith has mentioned his finger-issues in an interview, recently. Those, like us, who've taken note for years, already knew about the creeping limitations, yet he'd never felt the need to comment publicly before.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: November 28, 2023 17:31

Mick Taylor and Brian Jones were terrific too

Date: November 28, 2023 17:40

Taylor1

This is a thread specifically about Ronnie Wood. Perhaps there should be a separate thread discussion for Brian Jones and one for Mick Taylor.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 28, 2023 17:54

MrForeverMusicFan
Taylor1

This is a thread specifically about Ronnie Wood. Perhaps there should be a separate thread discussion for Brian Jones and one for Mick Taylor.

There is; and you're right. Here is to discuss Ronnie.

Anyway, here's something that's always puzzled me: Stones fans' inability to distinguish between Keith and Ronnie's playing. I do understand that not everyone is a musician, but their playing is unique enough to differentiate from one another.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: November 28, 2023 18:42

Taylor1

Malcom Young and Prince were terrific too

Date: November 28, 2023 18:59

Big Al
MrForeverMusicFan
Taylor1

Anyway, here's something that's always puzzled me: Stones fans' inability to distinguish between Keith and Ronnie's playing. I do understand that not everyone is a musician, but their playing is unique enough to differentiate from one another.
If this thread is about Ron Wood then why was it started by saying he was the perfect fit, implying Taylor was not.He wasn’t kicked out by Mick and Keith , he quit. I think Wood has contributed a lot of great playing, but they did their 4 best albums with the other guitarists.The1969-1973 tours have never been topped.The way they played with Taylor live set the template for what followed.But yeah Wood was and is terrific

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 28, 2023 19:00

...and dont forget Tom ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: November 28, 2023 19:20

Rockman
...and dont forget Tom ....

Wonder Dog too...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 28, 2023 19:39

Taylor1
Big Al
MrForeverMusicFan
Taylor1

If this thread is about Ron Wood then why was it started by saying he was the perfect fit, implying Taylor was not.He wasn’t kicked out by Mick and Keith , he quit. I think Wood has contributed a lot of great playing, but they did their 4 best albums with the other guitarists.The1969-1973 tours have never been topped.The way they played with Taylor live set the template for what followed.But yeah Wood was and is terrific

You need to look at it from the perspective of, for one, it's been this way since 1975, that it's nothing against Mick Taylor, it's about Ronnie Wood. At least with fans - and the point of this thread I'm guessing.

Keith Richards (1975): Playing with Ronnie
You know with Ronnie we seem to be able to get back to the original idea of the Stones, when Brian was with us in 1962, '63. Two guitars has always been my particular love because I think there's more that can be done with that combination thean almost any other instrument. But what screws most of that up, and this is the bag I fell into with Mick Taylor - whom I love deeply and I think is one of the most incredible guitar players in that kind of music you'll ever get a chance to hear - is that there's this phony division between lead and rhythm guitar. It does not exist. Either you're a guitar player or you're not. And if you are a guitar player with another guitar player, there's no point in designing one thing to one... there's no freedom there.

This way with Ronnie is more like what it was with Brian, because we had basically the same ideas about guitar when Brian was still very interested in guitar. It's two guitar players and one sound.

[timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 28, 2023 20:25

This topic has been discussed in great detail, for good reason. Everyone has their favorite Stones era and what they see as the "best". Keith makes a great point about having two guitarist on the same wave length, however (for me) the Mick Taylor years were most amazing. I love the Brian and Ronnie years respectably. Great music has undeniably made throughout the sixty years. It's a beautiful mixed bag. I don't know that any other Rock and Roll band could pull that off.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 28, 2023 21:10

Taylor1
Big Al
MrForeverMusicFan
Taylor1

Hmm... I don't see that of seeing Ronnie as a perfect fit as a dig against Taylor or Brian. Taylor and Brian were also perfect fits at the time, unique talents in their spots and in their ways in contributing to the band. Pretty hard to think anyone could have fitted those shoes better than them at the time (and the thing is, the nature and size of those shoes have/had changed along the years). Like Ronnie was at the time when he joined the band, as especially seeing his longevity to survive there. Pretty hard to see anyone else having done better in those shoes.

But when comparing the albums of different eras, the quality or the lack of it is not only up to the second guitarist. Surely they contribute, but lots of it has to do how the pen of Mick and Keith is doing. DIRTY WORK is not lesser album than BEGGARS BANQUET or EXILE ON MAIN Street because Ronnie was no Brian or Taylor.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-28 21:12 by Doxa.

Date: November 29, 2023 08:57

Taylor1
Big Al
MrForeverMusicFan
Taylor1

Their four best albums?

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: November 29, 2023 12:05

What I find most remarkable about Ronnie and what has given me a lot of joy listening to him, is that his playing sounds very much like his persona, what he behaves like and what he speaks like. Despite people who claim otherwise, his playing is very distinct. While others might be technically a lot better, more melodiuos or virtuosic, if there's one guitarist to whom the guitar is an extention of the mind, I'd say it's Ronnie - also outside of the Rolling Stones. (Maybe that's the actual meaning of virtuosity!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-29 12:08 by MonkeyMan2000.

Date: November 29, 2023 12:26

DandelionPowderman
Taylor1
Big Al
MrForeverMusicFan
Taylor1

Beggars Banquet, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile.Although you can keep your Emotional Rescue ABigget Bang and Dirty Work on that list

Their four best albums?

Date: November 29, 2023 12:37

Taylor1
DandelionPowderman
Taylor1
Big Al
MrForeverMusicFan
Taylor1

Beggars Banquet, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile.Although you can keep your Emotional Rescue ABigget Bang and Dirty Work on that list

Their four best albums?

He's not on BB and hardly plays on LIB!

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: November 29, 2023 12:47

Ronnie is a fine guitarist, and to his immense credit, he has never and will never overshadow Keith. Mick Taylor was brilliant and luminous. Gold Stones era with him.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: November 29, 2023 22:53

All three guitarists Taylor, Jones, andWood were and are great in their own way.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1799
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home