Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - RIP - Matthew Perry - "Friends" actor
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: October 29, 2023 03:27

Matthew Perry has died of an apparent drowning in a Jacuzzi at a home in LA, he was 54 years-old.

Perry — who was not married and had no children — had a long history of drug and alcohol abuse. He opened up about his decades-long battle with addiction in a memoir titled “Friends, Lovers and the Big Terrible Thing,” which was published last year.

Perry went to rehab 15 times and had undergone 14 surgeries to try and mitigate the damage done to his stomach lining due to alcohol and opioid use. The actor claimed that in 2018 he almost died due to a gastrointestinal perforation. He subsequently spent months in the hospital.

Matthew Perry found dead

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-29 03:35 by The Sicilian.

Re: OT - RIP - Matthew Perry - "Friends" actor
Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 29, 2023 03:38

just awful

saw an interview with him last year when he was promoting that book and he seemed like such a nice guy who had finally found some peace in his life

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 29, 2023 07:03

That’s unexpected news.

Friends was unbelievably popular in the 90’s. I had a friend at school, who would insist upon us watching it, hour-after-hour, on VHS. Me, I was a Frasier guy.

Rest in peace, Matthew Perry

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 29, 2023 08:21

Shocking...so sad.

This hits hard, I'm not sure why.

RIP Matthew.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: October 29, 2023 09:43

Sad News indeed, he was a weekly part of life for a few years there and seemed a genuinely nice man from the interviews I’ve seen.
RIP.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 29, 2023 12:42

Terrible news, i guess some people don't like it here and try to escape, man for some reason this one is really upsetting, it's no age and such a lovely soul. RIP Matthew,

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 29, 2023 13:07

RIP. Wow, sad to hear this.

Rod

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 29, 2023 14:26

RIP

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: October 29, 2023 14:49

I was actually watching Friends when the news popped up on my iPad - the episode where Julia Robert’s leaves him in the men’s room wearing nothing but a pair of her panties. Excellent comic actor, tragic person. His substance abuse had left him with so many major medical complications and he had multiple major surgeries as a result. Under it all, he seemed a sweet, kind guy. Watching him in more recent years on Graham Norton, reacting to Miriam Margoyles and talking about his drunken evening with M Night Shyamalan, I loved his priceless delivery and reactions. Rest easy, Matthew.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 29, 2023 16:23

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-29 18:31 by Stoneage.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 30, 2023 02:14

Sad to hear to young...RIP Matthew..enjoyed your performance.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 30, 2023 05:26

This really hit hard when I heard yday. Just a few years older than me and I’d always held out hope for a reboot. Now it’ll never happen. Friends was such an integral part of my HS/college years and remains my all-time favorite show. I own the complete series and can recite countless episodes. A really troubled soul who had finally found peace it’d seemed but perhaps his body had been thru enough. No matter what he will be missed and this is a great, great loss. Rest easy Matthew.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: October 30, 2023 05:39

I was pretty shocked to hear this news, and even more sad. Was always hoping he would have joyful like after he recovered. Was not to be. RIP

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: October 30, 2023 15:06

Very sad news. A troubled man and a great comedy talent. RIP.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: October 30, 2023 16:46

I was never into Friends but his memoir found its way into my hands. It was a raw, honest and painful book. He had a very hard time in life and was way too young. RIP Matthew.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: October 30, 2023 18:58

If you struggle livelong loving or at least liking yourself and never ever really had the ability to do so you look for things who do this job who loves you. You gather a truckload of friends around you who really love you to fill in with their love the big gap in your spirit. But then you find out: Even all of hem give you all of their heart the gap is never filled. Its waiting for you to find the love for yourself. And finding it is the only way to fill in and to feel complete. Instead you look for other fillers. Drugs, Drinks and stuff. And doing it you hate yourself even more and you are 2000 Lightyears wider away from yourself and the love somewhere hidden in you. A Nightmare. A Suicide Rollercoaster. I am sorry to the deepest I can be for YOU Matthew.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 30, 2023 20:42

A very poignant post, caschimann. Very true.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 30, 2023 21:20

Great post caschimann

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: October 31, 2023 07:12

I’m just shocked to hear this dreadful news.Didnt know he was into drugs etc. Very sad. A great actor & helping others with issues. Rip,thanks for the memories.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-31 07:14 by babyblue.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 31, 2023 08:39

caschimann
If you struggle livelong loving or at least liking yourself and never ever really had the ability to do so you look for things who do this job who loves you. You gather a truckload of friends around you who really love you to fill in with their love the big gap in your spirit. But then you find out: Even all of hem give you all of their heart the gap is never filled. Its waiting for you to find the love for yourself. And finding it is the only way to fill in and to feel complete. Instead you look for other fillers. Drugs, Drinks and stuff. And doing it you hate yourself even more and you are 2000 Lightyears wider away from yourself and the love somewhere hidden in you. A Nightmare. A Suicide Rollercoaster. I am sorry to the deepest I can be for YOU Matthew.

Mathew is a wake up call for many who burry themselves in drink, i don't think people like Mathew don't like or love themselves, more likely they don't like the world they find themselves trapped in and try to escape it with drink and drugs.
I just think some sensitive souls struggle with the harsh realities of life.
Lovely post mate, sound advice and so very true.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-31 13:01 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 31, 2023 13:06

caschimann

Brian Jones comes to mind...

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: October 31, 2023 15:57

For someone who has never watched an episode of friends I find it hard to believe this guy is not mentioned for anything else, sure he must have done other roles in his career.

Posted by: jigsaw69 ()
Date: October 31, 2023 16:16

Friends brought so much joy and happiness from 94-04. Whether it was watched in English or translated to another language, it globally touched millions of people and brightened up their days.

Matthew Perry was one of the core 6. A great actor and "friend" with fantastic lines delivered with impeccable comedy timing and inflections. He could also play it straight on the programme to fit the latest story line, and again he delivered perfectly showing his great diversity, talent and skills.

He did have many other roles in his career, both on TV and the wider screen, many of which were successful, but I guess as Chandler Bing on Friends, its almost impossible to compete with that level of success.

He previously shared how he hoped he would be remembered for his lifetime accomplishments....

“I would like to be remembered as somebody who lived well, loved well, was a seeker. And his paramount thing is that he wants to help people. That’s what I want,” Perry told host Tom Power.

“The best thing about me, bar none, is that if somebody comes up to me and says, ‘I can’t stop drinking. Can you help me?’ I can say yes and follow up and do it. That’s the best thing.”

He added, “When I die, I don’t want Friends to be the first thing that’s mentioned. I want that to be the first thing that’s mentioned, and I’m going to live the rest of my life proving that.”

RIP Matthew Perry. Thanks for brightening up so many lives. 54 is far too young. Rest in Peace

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: October 31, 2023 19:55

Tom Power of the CBC - who recently interviewed Mick - interviewed Matthew last year after his book was released. If the link doesn’t work, you’ll find it on the CBC website.

[www.cbc.ca]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2429
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home