Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Has anybody listened to Hackney Blu-ray?
Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: October 22, 2023 16:44

My order hasn’t come in even though I paid a ton for overnight shipping from the official store but some people have it because it’s been shown in the pop up stores. Thoughts?

Re: Has anybody listened to Hackney Blu-ray?
Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: October 22, 2023 16:50

I got it from Amazon on Friday. It sounds great and the Surround Mix ist really interesting. Dreamy Skies is absolutely awesome with guitars coming from all speakers. Angry is interesting too as guitars only come from the Back (on a 5.1 system). Lady Gagas voice comes from the back left while Mick is coming from front right.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 22, 2023 17:00

The 96kHz/24bit HiRes-version is also available at e.g. [www.Qobuz.com] , [www.HDtracks.com] , [www.HighResAudio.com] .

The Dynamic Range of the HiRes-version is DR5-7 according to [www.ProStudioMasters.com] . Mastering was by Matt Colton (Metropolis Studios, London, UK).

The Dolby Atmos version is also available via streaming on Apple Music, TIDAL and Amazon Music.

The Dolby Atmos version was mixed by Giles Martin, according to the BluRay credits.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-22 21:50 by Irix.

Date: October 22, 2023 17:35

Here's a comparison between Amazon/TIDAL 96kHz/24bit and TIDAL Dolby Atmos - [MagicVinylDigital.net] .

According to them, the Dynamic Range of the Atmos version (downmixed in stereo) is DR12-15. In comparison, HiRes-Stereo is only DR4-7.

At the end of the article there're nice diagrams for each track, showing the usage of a 7.1.4 speaker system.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-22 17:45 by Irix.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: October 22, 2023 18:38

I thought Giles Martin did a great job on Goats Head a few years back. Wish he would do IORR album

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 23, 2023 00:36

Gave it a quick and then full listen tonight on a 5.1 setup and it is indeed quite enjoyable with some notable effects using the back channels, echoing in Angry, but mostly backing vocals (Mick in DOY, Keith in DS, Mick in TMS, etc...), Elton's rollicking piano in LBTS, Matt's Rhodes in WWW. For SSOH, Lady GG is entirely in the back channels.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 23, 2023 00:42

Irix
Here's a comparison between Amazon/TIDAL 96kHz/24bit and TIDAL Dolby Atmos - [MagicVinylDigital.net] .

According to them, the Dynamic Range of the Atmos version (downmixed in stereo) is DR12-15. In comparison, HiRes-Stereo is only DR4-7.

At the end of the article there're nice diagrams for each track, showing the usage of a 7.1.4 speaker system.

I sprang for the box set so that's good news at least!

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 23, 2023 01:33

Hmm, I'm a little skeptical about the Atmos DR. I say that because there's software that reduces decibels from the original compressed file. Also, if you toggle the image (focus in and out) you can see those overloaded files are not completely filling up the picture. Hope I said that right. I'm not a sound engineer or rocket scientist but I do understand cutting frequencies to boost volume.

Date: October 23, 2023 01:55

frankotero

Hmm, I'm a little skeptical about the Atmos DR.

The first two waveform pictures in the article show the dynamically compressed Stereo HiRes-files. The 3rd picture shows the normal looking Dolby Atmos. The Stereo- and Atmos files are different.

I don't think you can undo dynamic compression by digitally reducing the volume only. And reducing e.g. high frequencies from 22kHz to 15kHz doesn't result in a higher overall volume.

What the first two waveform pictures in the article show is this typical 0dB peak known from the 'loudness war'.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-23 02:20 by Irix.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 23, 2023 13:18

Hi lrix. Not sure I explained it correctly. The reason I think it's the same files is because there's a lot of open space at the top of the Atmos files, while still having a full center. Seems to me that the highs would nearly touch the top and there should be some ups and downs in the center, not just solid as the picture shows. Then again if I could zoom in and out I might see it's right? Anyhow, thanks for the response and I look forward to getting the set.

Date: October 23, 2023 14:00

frankotero

Not sure I explained it correctly.

These waveform diagrams (all 12 tracks in a row) show the runtime on the x-axis and the volume level on the y-axis. The peaks show the usage of the digital volume level. Exceeding the maximum level (0db) leads to clipping of the signal (shown in the article's 4th waveform picture). These diagrams are from the digital domain - don't confuse them with diagrams from the analogue world where it could be the frequency response.

There's nothing wrong with the Atmos version (the waveforms look good as they should) - the issue is with the HiRes Stereo-files due to the vast dynamic compression (hence only DR4-7). This is long known due to the 'loudness war' and there're a lot of articles about that.

Date: October 23, 2023 14:58

I have bought 24/96 version from Highresaudio.
A bit better than CD version that has 16/44.1 only.
This does not say that CD sound is bad, but downsampling and dithering is not completely transparent.

Date: October 23, 2023 15:05

jumpingjackflash5

That's mostly the case with HiRes vs CD. The quality of downsampling & dithering depends on the algorithm of the software used.

I'll try to go the route of the Atmos downmix to stereo to avoid the vast dynamic compression of the HiRes files. But the Atmos is lossy (E-AC3/DD+) and limited to 20kHz frequencies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-23 15:25 by Irix.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: October 23, 2023 15:09

the let it bleed bluray was spectacular.
the Hackney diamonds bluray seems to lack the punch of the CD.
thats what my ears said

Date: October 23, 2023 15:20

Irix
jumpingjackflash5

That's mostly the case with HiRes vs CD. The quality of downsampling & dithering depends on the algorithm of the software used.

I understand. I mean 24/96 to 16.44.1 downsampling. It needn't be always recognized in ABX test, but both formats sound a bit different on most DACs.

Date: October 23, 2023 15:30

jumpingjackflash5

I mean 24/96 to 16.44.1 downsampling. It needn't be always recognized in ABX test, but both formats sound a bit different on most DACs.

Yes, that's what I mean too. I've heard HiRes recordings which were ok sounding. And then I heard the 44/16 downsampled version, which did not sound 'good' due to a 'bad' downsampling & dithering algorithm.

Date: October 23, 2023 17:16

So I gave it another partial listen today and it's really enjoyable, definitely adds to the experience, even on a "cheap" 5.1 system.

There's one strange thing/bug, in the SSOH build-up at the end Mick is almost faded out in the front speakers while Lady GG is overpowering in the back, odd. Oh and this mix confirms that the "play it loud" that sounds "patched in" in the stereo mix is indeed Stevie Wonder and he's heard back right.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: October 24, 2023 03:56

Irix

Can this be gotten somewhere (other than the Bluray)? The CD version sounds heavily brickwalled.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 24, 2023 07:00

doitywoik
Irix

Can this be gotten somewhere (other than the Bluray)? The CD version sounds heavily brickwalled.

You can download the Dolby Atmos rip for free on Youtube, I'm listening to that at full volume since yesterday and it sounds fantastic, it's another album, you can listen all the details, AWESOME, DR13-14! The CD/stream make my ears bleed with that horrible DR6.

Thanks to Mr Spelleps, here's Angry, the rest is there on his channel.
[youtu.be]

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: October 24, 2023 11:18

I have it but must buy a blue ray player. Looking forward to listen to it with headphones.

Date: October 24, 2023 12:05

doitywoik

Can this be gotten somewhere (other than the Bluray)?

The Dolby Atmos version is also available via streaming on Apple Music, TIDAL and Amazon Music. It can be downloaded also from there with appropriate tools.

Date: October 24, 2023 12:54

Any pointers on the tools to download an Atmos stream ?

I can't try Atmos streaming with my 5.1 speaker setup (I think the cheapest setup would be with an AppleTV fed into the decoder, wait I do have an Android Box, that might work) but I've listened to Atmos streams with headphones on Amazon Music and it's a waste of time and a lesser experience than listening to an HQ stereo stream.

georgelicks

You can download the Dolby Atmos rip for free on Youtube, I'm listening to that at full volume since yesterday and it sounds fantastic, it's another album, you can listen all the details, AWESOME, DR13-14! The CD/stream make my ears bleed with that horrible DR6.

Thanks to Mr Spelleps, here's Angry, the rest is there on his channel.
[youtu.be]

Interesting, it's not clear what he's sharing though, the PCM stream on the Blu-ray I presume ? It does sound pretty good but it's going to be lossless on Youtube, AAC 128kbps so not great.

Also I wasn't sure what he meant by "This video is available in Stereo for all devices and in 5.1 Surround Sound for compatible devices" as the last I checked there was no 5.1 streaming on YT but this has indeed changed in 2023 per [www.reddit.com] - now to see if I can get it to work with my setup.

--------------

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-24 13:24 by gotdablouse.

Date: October 24, 2023 13:25

gotdablouse

Any pointers on the tools to download an Atmos stream ?

Works with yt-dlp. Display the formats first with parameter -F and then download the appropriate audio with parameter -f. To download Dolby Atmos from streaming services (subscription required) there're other tools, e.g. for TIDAL it's on GitHub.

A cheaper solution to play Dolby Atmos to a AV-Receiver (compared to an expensive AppleTV 4K) is an Amazon FireTV 4K Stick. Playing downloaded Atmos files works there via Kodi media player (via RAW setting).

gotdablouse

Interesting, it's not clear what he's sharing though, the PCM stream on the Blu-ray I presume ?

There're multiple audio formats contained in this YT-Videos, from 2-channel (e.g. 128kbps, 44.1kHz) to 6-channel E-AC3 (384kbps, 48kHz).

The E-AC3 version (Dolby Atmos) on TIDAL is 768kbps (48kHz).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-24 13:55 by Irix.

Date: October 24, 2023 15:25

I've tried the 12 tracks (ec-3 version) from the YT-Channel - [www.YouTube.com] - seems to be 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus only (that's what the AV-Receiver says).

In comparison, the 768kbps ec-3 version from TIDAL is true Atmos (displayed as such by the AV-Receiver).

Date: October 24, 2023 16:55

Thanks, that helps a lot, found very little detailed info on the web ! In the meantime I'd tried playing the YT streams on my Android Box and my Windows Box but failed to get any 5.1. I have now downloaded an m4a of SSOH and will try to play it with foobar 2000 on my Windows Box as I know that works with DTS CDs I've downloaded. Not sure how it handles E-AC3 though...

Are you able to stream YT 5.1 with your setup ? If yes, can you share what it is ?

Would you be able to stream YT 5.1 with a FireTV would you have to download and then use Kodi ?

--------------

Date: October 24, 2023 17:10

gotdablouse

Are you able to stream YT 5.1 with your setup ?

Yes, works with the 'integrated' YouTube-App on the FireTV Stick. Plays the 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus version. But I prefer the playback of the true Atmos version via TIDAL-App (or Kodi).

Date: October 24, 2023 19:28

ok and you're running that TIDAL-App from a computer ?

I was finally able to play a downloaded YT file on my setup (Windows Box + JBL 5.1 soundbar) by converting the yt-dl downloaded eac3 file to ac3 (had to use an online converter as the old eac3to tool doesn't recognize the file) as my soundbar doesn't have DD+. Sounds pretty good !

I wonder if a Firestick 4K would "fold down" Atmos to DTS or DD 5.1 like the Blu-ray player does to play on my DTS/DD soundbar...guess I'd have to try !

In terms of downloading Atmos files it seems it's only possible from Tidal.

--------------

Date: October 24, 2023 20:40

gotdablouse

ok and you're running that TIDAL-App from a computer ?

No, the App runs directly on the FireTV Stick (with subscription). In terms of downloading Atmos files it was indeed only possible from TIDAL so far (plays then with Kodi). Now there's also the YT alternative.

I've compared the 5.1 DD+ from YT with the 768kbps Atmos from TIDAL - and both sound basically the same. At the SSOH track, Mick & drums come from front, piano/keys/chorus singing come from the sides and Lady Gaga comes from the surround back.

Date: October 24, 2023 22:06

And Stevie pipes in back right with "Play it loud !" ;-)

Yes so the trick seems to be to emulate a FireStick so Tidal will show the Atmos format, unfortunately the Tidal-dl that made that possible seems to be gone, Tidal-GUI is still there and works for HQ files though.

One track I'd like to hear in 5.1 is "Waiting on a Friend", sounds great apparently, with Mick coming in from everywhere !

--------------

Date: October 25, 2023 09:16

gotdablouse

Yes so the trick seems to be to emulate a FireStick so Tidal will show the Atmos format

There's no trick or emulation necessary - simply connect an Amazon FireTV Stick 4K directly via HDMI to the Atmos-capable AV-Receiver. Install the TIDAL-App on the FireTV Stick or use the built-in Amazon Music App. With a streaming subscription, the FireTV will play the Atmos from TIDAL (HiFi Plus) or Amazon Music (Unlimited). The Atmos videos from YouTube can be played with the YT-App and own (Atmos) files can be played for free with the Kodi media player (installed on the FireTV). The only trick is that Atmos files can be downloaded from TIDAL with external tools.

A (more expensive) alternative would be an AppleTV 4K, also connected to the AV-Receiver via HDMI. The player for Apple Music (Spatial Audio = Atmos) is already built-in. All you need is an Apple Music subscription. Own (Atmos) files can be played with the (paid) Infuse App, YouTube should work too via App.

Other solutions for Atmos playback would be Soundbars (e.g. Sonos Arc, Sennheiser Ambeo).

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1863
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home