Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Live By The Sword - Track Talk
Posted by: stonerolling ()
Date: October 26, 2023 20:46

Personally, one of the weaker of the tracks, but... it ain't bad! Totally agree with the rhythm section comments... it has the swing/groove only Charlie and Bill bring. Love the rest of album, definity a change of 'era'.

Date: October 26, 2023 21:17

Weird song. Sometimes i think it is not that good. And then i love it.

Date: October 26, 2023 22:56

PaintMonkeyManBlack

To me that is usually the sign of a good song. at first I did not like HD all taht much, but I kind of knew that meant it went deep, and I still had to come around to it.
Often I can't really remember what my wife looks like. Then I open my eyes, and I;m like "Oh, you are so pretty".

Posted by: ekelundh ()
Date: October 27, 2023 12:23

Great song, in the top three of all songs on the new album. Classic Stones working around a riff, cool lyrics and an excellent bridge. Love it. Great to have Bill and Charlie onboard creating the best possible groove. Cool handclaps. Excellent barrelhouse piano from Auntie Reg (Elton John).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-27 12:25 by ekelundh.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: October 27, 2023 12:49

As a non-native English speaker - what does "Live by the sword" mean? What is this song about?

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 27, 2023 12:59

It's an old saying . " Live by the sword, die by the sword"

It basically means that if you don't behave well towards other folks...you can't expect them to behave well towards you.

Stab them...and they'll stab you back ! grinning smiley

Posted by: MonicaDe ()
Date: October 27, 2023 13:01

This one totally stuck in the head!
It's sounds stronger and better with every time you repeat it.
Amazing job they did here! smiling smiley

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: October 27, 2023 13:14

Spud
It's an old saying . " Live by the sword, die by the sword"

It basically means that if you don't behave well towards other folks...you can't expect them to behave well towards you.

Stab them...and they'll stab you back ! grinning smiley

Thanks!

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 28, 2023 05:51

It is The Stones. Had the old Chuck Berry chug to it. Great song

Rod

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 29, 2023 02:45

Me fave from Hack .........
Jagger's Ack-Ack gun style
vocal attack takes no prisoners ....

Theres a lot goin on deep down in the mix ... PLAY LOUD ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: November 1, 2023 20:04

Thankfully the 'too late..' bridge saves this rather aimless pedestrian T-Rex, Chuck Berry groove

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 2, 2023 01:48

Read a Keith interview in Guitar Player yesterday. He said it was too bad they all couldn't be there when Bill recorded his part, but says him and Bill stay in touch. Keith doesn't think he's that in touch with Mick and Ron these days, and that Keith makes a point to see him when he's in London. In the same issue was an interview with Andrew Watt. He said when Bill heard the playback he said, "Now it's swingin'."

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 11, 2023 21:52

PaintMonkeyManBlack

I have the same feeling, starts out kinda slow but really gets swinging. Lyrics seem kinda throwaway..

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 11, 2023 23:59

This is by far my favorite song from the album, by the end when that groove gets locked in, wow--I'm singing it for hours afterwards. And bouncing.

Date: November 12, 2023 00:59

Aquamarine
This is by far my favorite song from the album, by the end when that groove gets locked in, wow--I'm singing it for hours afterwards. And bouncing.
Same. I walked round Richmond Park today with that end bit bouncing around in my head. Excellent walking music. One of their best fade-outs too ...

Posted by: rollingrichard ()
Date: November 12, 2023 09:28

Not my favorite, only Bite my head off is more worse.

I really enjoy the other songs, though, so 2 out of 12 to dislike, makes it a good album.
As I said : 3 stars, which could have been 3 1/2 , if there were less guests on the record.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: November 16, 2023 22:52

My second favorite track on the record!

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: November 17, 2023 11:26

Aquamarine

Me too!!

Posted by: goingmad ()
Date: November 17, 2023 11:59

Love the groove (Charlie & Bill), riff and excellent piano. And bouncing too

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: November 17, 2023 12:37

Originally my least favorite but I listen to it a lot and like it. Can’t put my finger on it but too me it’s kind of has that Between The Buttons feel to it

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 17, 2023 15:58

rollingrichard
Not my favorite, only Bite my head off is more worse.

I really enjoy the other songs, though, so 2 out of 12 to dislike, makes it a good album.
As I said : 3 stars, which could have been 3 1/2 , if there were less guests on the record.

You're penalizing the Rolling Stones by half a star for having guests?

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: November 18, 2023 20:17

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: November 19, 2023 11:42

Wyman was more incisive in a single song than Darryl Jones in 30 years

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-19 11:43 by HardRiffin.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: November 19, 2023 12:07

I'm always skeptical when I read comparisons between musicians, I love Bill and Charlie but no comparisons.
Darryl and Steve weren't hired to imitate Bill and Charlie, that would be pathetic, but to replace them and it's obviously something different.
I agree that this song is fantastic and their musical contribution makes it superb, however I think for example that other songs such as for example. Sweet Sounds of Heaven, with Charlie's drums, would have been less incisive.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 20, 2023 09:23

The last couple of minutes of this are just fantastic. The whole song is, but the last couple of minutes? WOW!

Rod

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 20, 2023 13:51

at first...I was really not sure about this one....but it has been the biggest grower on me...I think its one of the best songs theyve done in a long time along wityh Angry and SSOH....this is a killer track.....quintessential Stones....the guitars are smoking,,,Elton is on fire...and what can you say aboyt Jagger that hasn't already been said through this entire album....terrific stuff here.

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: November 20, 2023 14:23

Everyone has their own taste. And great songs have been made and released by the Stones over the past 60 years. I am a fan from the very first hour, and in every album there are always 2 or 3 songs that are not really appealing. With this album is the first time for me that I like all the songs. That's the opinion for myself. But this album is fresh and full of energy. They can 100% compete with anything they ever made including the period 60s. This song Live By The Sword was an instant stunner for me and gets better and better. The strength of this song and actually for the whole album is that each song gets stronger and stronger towards the end. And Mick's voice and really the same as 60 years ago. It really is a miracle that now in 2023 we can still experience this and write and discuss it, and with a 2nd new album on the horizon.

Date: November 20, 2023 14:47

"By the end when that groove gets locked in, wow--I'm singing it for hours afterwards. And bouncing."
Totally this - after the Mick's second 'I'm gonna treat you good' and the main riff blows in, it's just amazingly amazing. Up there with the best Stones sounds on any record, for me; Bill and Charlie - you can just feel it - and the long fade-out is totally addictive, with a Charlie cymbal crash right art the very very end. Which is very moving to me, and makes the song even more brilliant.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 20, 2023 15:10

Funnily, this track reminds me of early Jagger/Richards originals from the 60's, the rocking tunes they crafted from the base of the band grooving a three-chords rhythm and blues number but adding there a bit of poppish, melodic flavor. You know, the stuff they did, say, 1963-67. Especially the part "I'm gonna treat you right, etc." is based on such a 60's style Jagger/Richard melodic line and hook. Surely there is some maturity gathered in experience (and references to different eras), but still it has that 60's innocence, joy and freshness there. And, of course, the original rhythm section plus Elton channeling Stu so well here.

It is incredible how unique piece and statement each track in this album is. There is no repetition, no fillers. Such a treasure to listen.

- Doxa

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: November 20, 2023 15:24

Doxa
Funnily, this track reminds me of early Jagger/Richards originals from the 60's, the rocking tunes they crafted from the base of the band grooving a three-chords rhythm and blues number but adding there a bit of poppish, melodic flavor. You know, the stuff they did, say, 1963-67. Especially the part "I'm gonna treat you right, etc." is based on such a 60's style Jagger/Richard melodic line and hook. Surely there is some maturity gathered in experience (and references to different eras), but still it has that 60's innocence, joy and freshness there. And, of course, the original rhythm section plus Elton channeling Stu so well here.

It is incredible how unique piece and statement each track in this album is. There is no repetition, no fillers. Such a treasure to listen.

- Doxa

thumbs up

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2103
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home