Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 3 of 10
Re: Mess It Up - Track Talk
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 27, 2023 16:23

Palace Revolution 2000
tiffanyblu
fun thing, my wife really does not like the Stones. It's "to old", "not modern" etc. She is really into radio music. I have pretty much listened to the new album with a headset, because she dont like the music to much.

But in the mornings I wake up the kids by playing music over wi-fi in their rooms. Second chorus (she have never heard it before) she started singing the chorus. It is really sticky. No wonder it is the most streamed one from fridays release.

Your post reminds me of the other day. I was playing HD to my lady. She is a musician too, and knows the Stones pretty well. She immediately started singing along with 'Whole World' chorus; 'Mess it Up' chorus, and started laughing at 'Driving me too Hard' b/c she said it sounds like every song Keith ever wrote. But she was kind of rolling her eyes at having to sit through the whole album. And it made me wonder how many significant others from the IORR board alone had to go through the same ordeal. How many wives/ husbands had to endure the whole
"Listen top this part here", "okay here comes the good part".

Ha ha...did this yesterday with the SSoH live video. She laughed out loud during the coda when Mick shreiked "OH YEAH" with Lady Gaga.

What a compelling performance...I was able to download the 1080 version of it and I'm burning it and the rest of the album I downloaded from YT to a CD, so I can actually listen to the album while I wait for my orders to arrive.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: October 27, 2023 16:58

Palace Revolution 2000
tiffanyblu
fun thing, my wife really does not like the Stones. It's "to old", "not modern" etc. She is really into radio music. I have pretty much listened to the new album with a headset, because she dont like the music to much.

But in the mornings I wake up the kids by playing music over wi-fi in their rooms. Second chorus (she have never heard it before) she started singing the chorus. It is really sticky. No wonder it is the most streamed one from fridays release.

Your post reminds me of the other day. I was playing HD to my lady. She is a musician too, and knows the Stones pretty well. She immediately started singing along with 'Whole World' chorus; 'Mess it Up' chorus, and started laughing at 'Driving me too Hard' b/c she said it sounds like every song Keith ever wrote. But she was kind of rolling her eyes at having to sit through the whole album. And it made me wonder how many significant others from the IORR board alone had to go through the same ordeal. How many wives/ husbands had to endure the whole
"Listen top this part here", "okay here comes the good part".

That's very interesting about her reactions. I'm always fascinated about what non-Stones fans think and what songs are appealing to them. I remember way back in the day friends of mine enjoyed "Terrifying" precisely because it didn't sound like the Stones.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: October 28, 2023 01:55

A grower, and one of the best tracks on the album. It flows so well (the album too). The snippet a while back didn`t tell much of how great it is.

Posted by: kid killowatt ()
Date: October 28, 2023 03:49

I have my reservations about some artistic decisions on "mess it up"...catchy tune and all but ends in a dangerous place where it may sound like a Maroon 5 song with a Keef riff on it

But the album is great, only song i skip is "Bite My Head Off"

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: October 28, 2023 19:22

"Mess It Up" is growing on me after 5 or 6 listens. I am really enjoying its funk and groove, though I still wish the Stones had incorporated the original version of that "Really Wanna Tell The Truth" snippet into the song instead of altering it. Still, it's a pretty good track, better than "Angry" in my humble opinion.

Does the rumour still exist that this song will soon be announced as the album's third single?

Ride like the wind at double speed.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-28 19:26 by sf37.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 28, 2023 20:11

tried a lot to listen to this, to give it a chance but...
no way, it's the track to skip for me.
in a record filled with nice hooks and good catchy refrains, this is where they crashed below the par big time, to my earsùwent back to too much blood to feel the funky disco stones again
luckily is the first on side B so it is easy to do that when I turn the record on the plate

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-28 20:15 by maumau.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 29, 2023 16:21

maumau
tried a lot to listen to this, to give it a chance but...
no way, it's the track to skip for me.
in a record filled with nice hooks and good catchy refrains, this is where they crashed below the par big time, to my earsùwent back to too much blood to feel the funky disco stones again
luckily is the first on side B so it is easy to do that when I turn the record on the plate

Yep I’m with you. I played it half a dozen times today trying to find it. It still escapes me as to what others see in it. But then, personal taste IS personal taste. But that is 30 or so minutes I’ll never get back.

Rod

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 29, 2023 23:27

noughties
A grower, and one of the best tracks on the album. It flows so well (the album too). The snippet a while back didn`t tell much of how great it is.

Yes! It was the one I probably liked least on first listen but could be one of the best!

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: October 31, 2023 00:08

The Stones have tackled soul, blues and funk, so why not disco? I find it simply joyful. Irresistible. But then I love 70's disco like KC and the Sunshine band, Chic, Earth Wind and Fire, Bee Gees, all that stuff. If 'Mess it Up' doesn't make you want to move on first listen, I can't imagine that it ever will.

But then some people here like a dreary plodder like 'It Won't Last long' which also makes me move, but only towards the 'skip' button smiling smiley

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 31, 2023 02:45

Mess It UP is infectious like shitty candy...you want to brush your teeth after 6 Reeses Pieces or M & M's......but that's not going to stop you from eating/listening again the next day.......its very poppy....i'll admit...but the chorus is @#$%& amazing....I DO NOT get the disco reference....at all....this will be a hit on radio if they ever release it as a single.

Date: October 31, 2023 03:26

bakersfield
The Stones have tackled soul, blues and funk, so why not disco?

You asked the question...and I won't LIIIIIIIIIE!

Why not indeed?!

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: October 31, 2023 22:45

Only one way to add to the ingredients of this delightful track,a bit of Nile Rogers!

Posted by: Virgin Priest ()
Date: November 1, 2023 14:08

MESS IT UP – oh my, I love that track.

The way, Keith connects Mick´s lines in the verses with his chords and licks: just great!

The chorus makes me think of EMOTIONAL RESCUE, the song. It has a natural flow and directly hits my spine. It finishes my cerebralized perception of Stones music.

And Charlie is the master of the engine room. He stokes the fire and makes the machine pump on all cylinders.

Priest

Date: November 1, 2023 14:14

Virgin Priest

The way, Keith connects Mick´s lines in the verses with his chords and licks: just great!

The chorus makes me think of EMOTIONAL RESCUE, the song. It has a natural flow and directly hits my spine. It finishes my cerebralized perception of Stones music.

And Charlie is the master of the engine room. He stokes the fire and makes the machine pump on all cylinders.

Priest

Where do you hear Keith on Mess It Up? I can't hear him at all.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: November 1, 2023 14:21

DandelionPowderman
Virgin Priest

Priest

The rhythm guitar on the left clearly sounds like Keith to me except for the bridge and the coda which sounds a bit too funky for Keith.

Date: November 1, 2023 14:29

StonedRambler
DandelionPowderman
Virgin Priest

Priest

The rhythm guitar on the left clearly sounds like Keith to me except for the bridge and the coda which sounds a bit too funky for Keith.

I thought so, too, but if so Andrew took over that channel with his guitar. And if he did that, it's the most seamless overdub I've ever heard.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 1, 2023 14:30

Bad rewrite of Just Another Night. Granny-disco pop.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: November 1, 2023 15:18

DandelionPowderman
StonedRambler
DandelionPowderman
Virgin Priest

Priest

I thought so, too, but if so Andrew took over that channel with his guitar. And if he did that, it's the most seamless overdub I've ever heard.

Since Andrew is credited with guitar it could very well be him. Could also be another overdub of Ronnie.

Posted by: Juniorjackflash ()
Date: November 1, 2023 15:20

See below posted twice!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-01 15:24 by Juniorjackflash.

Posted by: Juniorjackflash ()
Date: November 1, 2023 15:20

Really interesting to see the different views on this track.

For me it was a favourite since the first listen. They can do unashamedly pop/funk tracks given they more than compensate with the rest of their output.

Structured perfectly - the funk guitar rhythm is akin to something you might expect Nial Rogers to come out with (not a criticism at all).

Chorus has a real catchy hook and the beat driving behind it is a classic disco ‘four on the floor and you want some more’ footstomper.

I remember Bruce explaining that his more commercially successful track of The Rising was waitin’ On a sunny day and that it was a quintessential pop song from the way it was written, lyrics, produced and performed. But they all have their place and done well, can be great.

This has been done well. iMO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-01 15:23 by Juniorjackflash.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: November 1, 2023 16:45

During the verses I'm quite sure it's Keith also on guitar. Maybe also the guitar in the chorus that just hits long chords could be him. But then it's probably Andrew who takes over the funky part in the bridge and the outro, but his guitar is situated at the very same spot in the stereo image as Keith's during the verses so you don't really notice the change. The bright, high lead notes in the outro sort of sound like Ronnie imitating Keith's soloing...

Date: November 1, 2023 16:54

MonkeyMan2000
During the verses I'm quite sure it's Keith also on guitar. Maybe also the guitar in the chorus that just hits long chords could be him. But then it's probably Andrew who takes over the funky part in the bridge and the outro, but his guitar is situated at the very same spot in the stereo image as Keith's during the verses so you don't really notice the change. The bright, high lead notes in the outro sort of sound like Ronnie imitating Keith's soloing...

Sounds more like Andrew mimicking Ronnie's soloing to me smiling smiley

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: November 1, 2023 17:27

Andrew Watt on guitar?? Everytime there is less place for Keith.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: November 1, 2023 19:09

Virgin Priest

Priest

That's very much how I feel. Something about that chorus hits me in the sweet spot of my brain and fires those pleasure receptors.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: November 1, 2023 20:00

Channeling Steel Wheels all the way! Four ear-worm sections one after another. Big Blondie vibes on this one. It's silly, but so well crafted that it works.

Date: November 1, 2023 20:27

peoplewitheyes
Channeling Steel Wheels all the way! Four ear-worm sections one after another. Big Blondie vibes on this one. It's silly, but so well crafted that it works.

Agreed. Very much a crafted piece and done exceptionally well.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: November 1, 2023 20:47

In general, that's one of the things I love about this album: it's well crafted. A little extra attention and inspiration applied all of the songs - an unexpected repeat of a line, or bridge that heads in surprising direction.

I imagine this is the work of Andrew Watt - arranging, grabbing parts from various demos to make one killer song, and, crucially, pushing/encouraging the principals to be ambitious.

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: November 3, 2023 00:08

sf37
"Mess It Up" is growing on me after 5 or 6 listens. I am really enjoying its funk and groove, though I still wish the Stones had incorporated the original version of that "Really Wanna Tell The Truth" snippet into the song instead of altering it. Still, it's a pretty good track, better than "Angry" in my humble opinion.

Does the rumour still exist that this song will soon be announced as the album's third single?

[www.youtube.com]

You mean this? Yeah I much prefer this melody, feels better

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 3, 2023 00:24

Wow I love this one more & more each listen! It reminds me a bit of Sweet Thing (which I also have always loved) but even better!

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: November 3, 2023 03:15

Captainchaos
sf37

[www.youtube.com]

You mean this? Yeah I much prefer this melody, feels better

Yep, that's the one! thumbs up

Ride like the wind at double speed.....

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 3 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1692
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home