Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Depending On You - Track Talk
Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: October 23, 2023 12:58

The opening guitars remind me of Led Zeppelin III.

The song would have fit on 'Its Only Rock and Roll.' Some of the guitar parts remind me of 'Through The Lonely Nights' (which should have been on IORR)

I'm enjoying the album - but I'll be hoping for more songs in major keys in the next one.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: October 25, 2023 05:28

Great song. Loved it the first time I heard it

Posted by: Ryttern ()
Date: October 26, 2023 22:22

Gazza
bv
Depending On You

Released Friday October 20, 2023 with the Hackney Diamonds album.

The Rolling Stones with

Steve Jordan : Drums
Matt Cliffiord : Piano
Andrew Watt : Bass, Guitar, Backing Vocals, Percussion, String Arrangement
Benmont Tench : Hammond Organ
+ Violin, Viola, Cello

Interesting that spotify credits the performers as the Stones and David
Campbell

(Beck's dad, for those who dont know. He's done string arrangements for the Stones before)

In which case, I'm surprised to read here that Andy Watt is credited as the arranger.

What exactly is David Campells connection with this song?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 27, 2023 06:58

Mick being vulnerable.

It works fantastically.

Harks back to Memory Motel, maybe even Fool To Cry, maybe even Through The Lonely Nights. Perhaps even Biggest Mistake.

Excellent.

Date: October 27, 2023 11:11

Regarding Ronnie's slide playing. Seems like Andrew Watt has worked Ronnie hard.

Compare his playing on Rouch Justice and other ABB-tracks with Depending On You and Dreamy Skies.

He plays in a different league here. Fabulous playing. Well done!

Date: October 27, 2023 13:08

The song title 'Depending On You' makes me think of The Doobie Brothers.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: October 27, 2023 17:48

It certainly is an earworm. There are so many catchy melodies on the album, but this is one that tends to get stuck in my head most often.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: October 27, 2023 17:50

DandelionPowderman
Regarding Ronnie's slide playing. Seems like Andrew Watt has worked Ronnie hard.

Compare his playing on Rouch Justice and other ABB-tracks with Depending On You and Dreamy Skies.

He plays in a different league here. Fabulous playing. Well done!

It’s Ronnie’s best album in a long time. I can understand why he was so excited about it.

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: October 27, 2023 22:30

[youtu.be]

Well done boy!

Date: November 1, 2023 04:03

I love Mick's sneer. He hits the notes as only he can.

Fantastic song. This tune has a lot of room in it, instrumentally, which is really nice.

Unfortunately the criticism about the 'too young for dying' line has critics up in arms about Mick's age saying such a line - "now I'm just a story you tell" etc serves it up - it's interpretation, not because a 79 year old Mick Jagger sings it: it could be a 48 year old. The age is immaterial other than it's obviously not "young love".

One of their best ballads in eons.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: November 1, 2023 10:32

I think it's a fantastic tune too, GLS, but what critics are 'up in arms' about those lines? I've don't recall seeing negative comments about that track (with the exception of a couple of perennial moaners here)

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 5, 2023 18:27

The more I listen to the album this one keeps sounding better and better, rising near the top of my favorites.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: November 7, 2023 21:02

very well crafted ballad

Date: November 7, 2023 22:07

For quite a while I heard "now I'm just a story you tell" as "now I'm just a star in your tale" - I like mishearing lyrics in Stones songs again. To this day, I couldn't tell you half of what he's singing on Dice or Rocks Off. I love that slur, that vagueness. He's rediscovered that - those comments about needing to 'throw it away more' when talking about his final vocals on HD. I guess that's why I love Part of the Night so much from the bootleg drop - it's all vowels. I hope they do something with that one day soon...

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 8, 2023 11:31

This has risen to the top of the pile for me. At any one time one of 8 differing tracks is my “favourite” off this record, but for the time being I just think this is astonishingly great. It belongs on ANY of their classic albums.

Dang, this IS a great album. Easily in their top 10. And Rising with a Bullet.

Rod

Date: November 8, 2023 13:58

smileys with beer
bitusa2012
This has risen to the top of the pile for me. At any one time one of 8 differing tracks is my “favourite” off this record, but for the time being I just think this is astonishingly great. It belongs on ANY of their classic albums.

Dang, this IS a great album. Easily in their top 10. And Rising with a Bullet.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 8, 2023 14:57

This is a close 2nd to Driving Me Too Hard for me!

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: November 8, 2023 15:20

Well done Timo thumbs up
[youtu.be]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 9, 2023 13:42

This tune is a true gem.

I don't like much about the "best since blah blah blah", but as a Stones/Jagger ballad, this one really is the best for a long, long time. The term perfect is what I would like to call it. There've been some very good ballads for sure, but I have always felt like there is something missing or wrong in their key elements: in the way of the melody is written or how convincing Mick's delivery is. Not much, still something that has been bothering me. But this one nails it.

So I need to go all the way to "Almost Hear You Sigh" or even "Waitin' On A Friend" to something as good and perfect. There've been some great Jagger solo tunes ("Evening Gown" is perfect, and some - "Party Doll", "Say You Will", "Hard Woman" - pretty close to that), but even those are made a long time ago. But anything from VOODOO LOUNGE on, both by the Stones or by Jagger solo, have been brief disappointments in my book. The clearly best ones have been the bonus tracks: ""Following The River" and especially "Slow Walking, Fast Talking" (a true gem in its new clothing that that I think is oddly and unjustly ignored - am I the only poor soul recognizing its brilliance?). I could go on to spell out the reasons why I think there is something lacking in tunes like, say, "Out of Tears", "Blinded By Rainbows" or even "Laugh I Nearly Died", but I spare the space here from that (but believe me, I've been thinking that thoroughly).

Just let me repeat again that "Depending On You" succeeds in what them or him had failed for a long time. That alone is one good reason more why HACKNEY DIAMONDS is a special album.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-09 13:47 by Doxa.

Date: November 10, 2023 16:50

HardRiffin
Well done Timo thumbs up
[youtu.be]

Excellent choice that Bugle. They could have put it on the record. You can't always get what you want. thumbs up

Date: November 10, 2023 16:56

HardRiffin
Well done Timo thumbs up
[youtu.be]

Good one! thumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 10, 2023 17:03

TheflyingDutchman
HardRiffin
Well done Timo thumbs up
[youtu.be]

Excellent choice that Bugle. They could have put it on the record. You can't always get what you want. thumbs up

yes! quite like that.

Date: November 16, 2023 06:37

peoplewitheyes
I think it's a fantastic tune too, GLS, but what critics are 'up in arms' about those lines? I've don't recall seeing negative comments about that track (with the exception of a couple of perennial moaners here)

Such a mess of album reviews, I can't recall, but there have been A LOT that take digs at Mick being 80 (duh, he was 79) with this song. Yet they LOVE McCartney's deal (I do too).

I think Depending On You doesn't fit those, ehhhhhhh, critics? aspect of what The Rolling Stones should be in 2023. Obviously they forget The Rolling Stones are people, not just some big licking tongue.

And it's an outstanding song.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 14, 2023 07:28

Just when you thought Rolling Stones' greatness was a thing of the past.

Posted by: TrulyMicks1 ()
Date: December 30, 2023 14:56

Another one of my favorites from the album. Beautiful music and lyrics. classic Stones!

Date: February 2, 2024 22:50

This song moves me to my soul. It brings me to tears, literally, as I think of my dear friend Steve who so loved the Stones (especially Ronnie) and who sadly passed away before this album came out.

Steve, you were too young for dying!

I hope the lads play this song on the upcoming tour.

Posted by: Pelle ()
Date: February 4, 2024 15:25

Why isn’t there any credits for the sax-solo anywhere?
Or am I crazy? Cuz that’s a sax-solo in the ending of the song RIGHT?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 4, 2024 17:12

Jagger solo material, really. I can't take the lyrics seriously. A polygamist singing about fidelity? In all the Jagger songs he's always complaining about all the women leaving him and treating him badly.
Really? I'm supposed to believe that?

Date: February 4, 2024 17:51

Stoneage
Jagger solo material, really. I can't take the lyrics seriously. A polygamist singing about fidelity? In all the Jagger songs he's always complaining about all the women leaving him and treating him badly.
Really? I'm supposed to believe that?

Actually, it wasn't. Mick had a ballad he wanted on the album, but Keith and Watt didn't think it was good enough. So they wrote this one together.

Date: February 4, 2024 17:56

Pelle
Why isn’t there any credits for the sax-solo anywhere?
Or am I crazy? Cuz that’s a sax-solo in the ending of the song RIGHT?

No sax on DOY, only strings (which are credited).King and Blake are credited on SSOH (if memory serves) and James King is credited on GC.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2146
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home