Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8283848586878889909192...LastNext
Current Page: 87 of 96
Re: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: March 18, 2024 04:39

Doxa
Taylor1
I don’t hear anything special with his bass playing on that song.If it wasn’t McCartney I doubt you would even notice it

I would claim that it would be pretty hard to NOT notice that bass solo no matter who came up with it...grinning smiley

One of those WTF moments on a Stones recording..

- Doxa

I think the point is YES you (obviously) hear the solo, but if you weren’t told beforehand, would you know the soloist?

Rod

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 18, 2024 09:44

-

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2024-03-18 09:58 by Doxa.

Date: March 18, 2024 09:54

bitusa2012
Doxa
Taylor1
I don’t hear anything special with his bass playing on that song.If it wasn’t McCartney I doubt you would even notice it

I would claim that it would be pretty hard to NOT notice that bass solo no matter who came up with it...grinning smiley

One of those WTF moments on a Stones recording..

- Doxa

I think the point is YES you (obviously) hear the solo, but if you weren’t told beforehand, would you know the soloist?

Surely not (and if Mick had keep his mouth shut up about that one). But what does it matter really? It is a band effort and Macca is one of the band there. I don't have a particular interest hearing a distinguishable Paul McCartney there, but just something that fits to a Rolling Stones song. The same with Elton John. Both did a good contribution. It is good to know that it was them - people of that name doing such a job - nothing that special but apt. But that's all.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-03-18 09:55 by Doxa.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 18, 2024 09:55

Not the best song ever written...

...but it's a band letting rip, having some fun, playing some simple RnR ...

... it's not for thinking about grinning smiley

Date: March 18, 2024 10:27

Maybe the idea above is to see no point having Macca there if what he does is not something 'special'. Since anyone could have done it. But I would see the case more like it is cool to have Macca, of all people, to do the job anyone could have done it..

But had it not been Macca, the bass player most probably would not have given such a distinguishable solo spot. So they wanted to emphasize Macca's presence there. And Mick made it obvious for anyone.

But If I may continue the thought experiment of not knowing beforehand... If I had been told there is one track in which Macca plays and one on which Bill plays. I think I had spotted Macca's track first, not for his particular style, but for that solo spot. Discovering Bill's track would have taken some time to be sure about I guess. I am sure that someone might have heard that from first listening, but I would not be that sure about myself, if I am honest.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-03-18 10:52 by Doxa.

Date: March 18, 2024 10:40

It's not really a solo. He just plays the riff really loud smiling smiley

Date: March 18, 2024 10:56

DandelionPowderman
It's not really a solo. He just plays the riff really loud smiling smiley

Haha, true.. but a solo spot anyway...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 18, 2024 12:15

It is not great bass playing.Not a knock on the greatness of McCartney.It’s the lameness of the song

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-03-18 12:21 by Taylor1.

Date: March 18, 2024 12:34

'It's not great bass playing'.
I bow to higher knowledge, but it sounds fab to me and sounds like a great launch pad for Ronnie's blistering solo, which I love.

Date: March 18, 2024 13:02

Taylor1
It is not great bass playing.Not a knock on the greatness of McCartney.It’s the lameness of the song

Fair enough. It is a case of personal taste if one finds it great or not, fitting to a song or not or whatever. It is the opinions we share here. To me it s probably not something I would describe that great an sich, but it generally fits there plus I find the fuzz part funny - a sort of Monty Python moment there. And I am probably the least Paul McCartney fan here... It very well could be that his bigger fans actually had wished him to contribute more, you know, do something more Macca or Beatles-like. But I'm very pleased with the decision and the results.

- Doxa

Date: March 18, 2024 13:07

Wonder if anyone ever suggested to Bill that he take a bass solo ?

...I suspect his reaction may have been ...eye rolling smiley

Date: March 18, 2024 13:34

Spud

Well, "Miss You" sort of have one. But I recall him once complaining that when Keith plays the bass it is more upfront in the mix, but his stuff is always buried down there somewhere... I take the Keith songs to mean things like "Live With Me" and "Sympathy". So Bill's low profile as a bass player is not probably just his own artistic decision. Some early Stones recordings actually include a pretty wild and busy bass player compared to the economical, minimalist one we would later know.

So I wonder what Bill's reactions on hearing Macca's damn loud stuff there be like...tongue sticking out smiley

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2024-03-18 13:40 by Doxa.

Date: March 18, 2024 14:00

Bill was the best whether low or high in the mix

Date: March 18, 2024 14:02

Taylor1

Of course he was. However, I've never heard him play SFTD or Little T+A as good as Keith did.

Posted by: dedospegajosos ()
Date: March 18, 2024 14:21

Doxa
Taylor1

Fair enough. It is a case of personal taste if one finds it great or not, fitting to a song or not or whatever. It is the opinions we share here. To me it s probably not something I would describe that great an sich, but it generally fits there plus I find the fuzz part funny - a sort of Monty Python moment there. And I am probably the least Paul McCartney fan here... It very well could be that his bigger fans actually had wished him to contribute more, you know, do something more Macca or Beatles-like. But I'm very pleased with the decision and the results.

- Doxa

The problem of this song for me is the sound. Its weird, feels very cheap, like an intro for a nickelodeon show or a commercial, the song is not bad but the production and somewhat the performance... btw do we have confirmation that Keith is here? I could bet it is just mick (doing keith) and ronnie...

Date: March 18, 2024 14:30

dedospegajosos
Doxa
Taylor1

- Doxa

The problem of this song for me is the sound. Its weird, feels very cheap, like an intro for a nickelodeon show or a commercial, the song is not bad but the production and somewhat the performance... btw do we have confirmation that Keith is here? I could bet it is just mick (doing keith) and ronnie...

The very last licks (including the feedback) are Keith.

I agree about the rhythm guitar, though. Could very well be Mick.

Date: March 18, 2024 14:35

DandelionPowderman
Taylor1

Of course he was. However, I've never heard him play SFTD or Little T+A as good as Keith did.
He Keith and Charley were it

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 18, 2024 15:56

Doxa
Spud

Well, "Miss You" sort of have one. But I recall him once complaining that when Keith plays the bass it is more upfront in the mix, but his stuff is always buried down there somewhere...

- Doxa

Bill playing the victim as usual!

Can't think of one example of Bill being buried in the mix.

C

Date: March 18, 2024 16:28

DandelionPowderman
dedospegajosos
Doxa
Taylor1

- Doxa

Yeah, to me it sounds like Mick (or Keith mimicking Mickgrinning smiley). Pretty straight-forward, more on the beat, busy strumming style Mick adopted at the time of SOME GIRLS. It lacks Keith's idiosyncratic style with his touch and incredible sense of timing. Probably all of Mick's playing derive from the example of Keith, the open tunings and all, but he never been that good pupil I suppose, never achieving that unique feel and even sublimity of the master, but sounding slightly, but decidedly different (for example, "Sway", "Stop Breaking Down" - even the intro of "Sad, Sad, Sad" that is supposed to be pretty Stones-by-numbers). This is not to say that Mick's playing is 'bad', since he is no any keithrichards, or even a proper guitarist by definition (his technique is not something to write home about). No, it's not: he has a good sense of rhythm and his playing usually works pretty well in a context of a song.

But I think what we hear on "Bite My Head Off" derives from SOME GIRLS period: Mick seemingly listened a lot of punk and somehow mixed his 'poor man's Keith-style' with it (although I recall Mick giving a lot credit on Ron Wood in helping him there). But Keith was horrified, and seemingly hated Mick's loud electric guitar at the time... Anyway, that simple and raw way of playing was an important part of the Stones sound and feel at the time, one of the driving forces of SOME GIRLS meeting the challenge of punk rock. Probably it all also kicked the arse of Keith, and thereby the punk indirectly electrified him, too... I mean, someone needed to hold Mick's horses, and modify his new ideas to apply better for the Stones... (but still the rhythm section of Bill & Charlie needed to work their asses off to simplify their natural groove to meet the demands of the over-energetic brandnew beat) grinning smiley In the three-guitar-attack' Mick's rhythm guitar allowed room for the real guitarists to develop their ancient art of weaving, etc.

Since then, it sounds like when Mick feels like having a hard rocking or a punk mood, he adopts that style again. So I think what "Bite My Head Off", like "Easy Sleazy" a while ago, artistically aims at is something like "Lies", "When the Whip Comes Down", "Where The Boys Go" and "Hold On Your Hat", and not that much at things like "Rip This Joint", "All Down The Line", or "Flip The Switch" that stem from a different mind set. The latter have more 'roll' element and, I think we could say, more 'Keithish' by constitution.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-03-18 16:37 by Doxa.

Date: March 18, 2024 16:57

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
dedospegajosos
Doxa
Taylor1

- Doxa

Yeah, to me it sounds like Mick (or Keith mimicking Mickgrinning smiley). Pretty straight-forward, more on the beat, busy strumming style Mick adopted at the time of SOME GIRLS. It lacks Keith's idiosyncratic style with his touch and incredible sense of timing. Probably all of Mick's playing derive from the example of Keith, the open tunings and all, but he never been that good pupil I suppose, never achieving that unique feel and even sublimity of the master, but sounding slightly, but decidedly different (for example, "Sway", "Stop Breaking Down" - even the intro of "Sad, Sad, Sad" that is supposed to be pretty Stones-by-numbers). This is not to say that Mick's playing is 'bad', since he is no any keithrichards, or even a proper guitarist by definition (his technique is not something to write home about). No, it's not: he has a good sense of rhythm and his playing usually works pretty well in a context of a song.

But I think what we hear on "Bite My Head Off" derives from SOME GIRLS period: Mick seemingly listened a lot of punk and somehow mixed his 'poor man's Keith-style' with it (although I recall Mick giving a lot credit on Ron Wood in helping him there). But Keith was horrified, and seemingly hated Mick's loud electric guitar at the time... Anyway, that simple and raw way of playing was an important part of the Stones sound and feel at the time, one of the driving forces of SOME GIRLS meeting the challenge of punk rock. Probably it all also kicked the arse of Keith, and thereby the punk indirectly electrified him, too... I mean, someone needed to hold Mick's horses, and modify his new ideas to apply better for the Stones... (but still the rhythm section of Bill & Charlie needed to work their asses off to simplify their natural groove to meet the demands of the over-energetic brandnew beat) grinning smiley In the three-guitar-attack' Mick's rhythm guitar allowed room for the real guitarists to develop their ancient art of weaving, etc.

Since then, it sounds like when Mick feels like having a hard rocking or a punk mood, he adopts that style again. So I think what "Bite My Head Off", like "Easy Sleazy" a while ago, artistically aims at is something like "Lies", "When the Whip Comes Down", "Where The Boys Go" and "Hold On Your Hat", and not that much at things like "Rip This Joint", "All Down The Line", or "Flip The Switch" that stem from a different mind set. The latter have more 'roll' element and, I think we could say, more 'Keithish' by constitution.

- Doxa

That´s spot on Doxa...great analysis

And another thing, Keith played BMHO COMPLETELY different in the Racket show to what we hear on the studio version, which makes the whole thing more suspicious...and then they wiped him out for the live release, maybe they wiped him out on the album version too..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-03-18 16:58 by dedospegajosos.

Date: March 18, 2024 19:54

dedospegajosos
Doxa
DandelionPowderman
dedospegajosos
Doxa
Taylor1

- Doxa

- Doxa

That´s spot on Doxa...great analysis

And another thing, Keith played BMHO COMPLETELY different in the Racket show to what we hear on the studio version, which makes the whole thing more suspicious...and then they wiped him out for the live release, maybe they wiped him out on the album version too..

He played licks, like on the album. Different (and inferior). And they added the studio rhythm guitar track (Mick's?) on the live album.

Posted by: stonesurvive ()
Date: March 19, 2024 07:30

................why does everyone have to over analyize this album?. More importantly, stating that studio overdubs were used, for this or any other album??. I think they put in hard work, knowing in the back of their minds, they may not be putting out many more...so. "let's make it good". As I stated before, the bigger crime is not bringing Bill or MT along for the tour!

..........IMO...........The boot "Live'r than you'll ever be"" was and still is considered one of the best, and more likely "THE BEST" boot of all time, given the circumstances , how it was recorded, and the fact it was recognized, and actually awarded a GOLD DISC!!!!......and..........ooooohhhh...........I almost forgot............NO OVERDUBS!!!!! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out>>grinning smiley<

Date: March 19, 2024 10:50

<why does everyone have to over analyize this album?>

When we're discussing the live album, it's kinda relevant if they use tracks from the studio album to touch it up, no? smiling smiley

Date: March 19, 2024 11:07

DandelionPowderman

When we're discussing the live album, it's kinda relevant if they use tracks from the studio album to touch it up, no? smiling smiley

It certainly is relevant.

But, that said, I think some folks get too hung up about it.

If something's not right in a live performance, it's gone in that instant...

...but you don't necessarily want to hear it over and over again on the record.

Date: March 19, 2024 13:15

Some Girls so called “punk” songs are way better than Bite My Head Off or Sleezy.

Date: March 19, 2024 16:38

Overdubbing with a new performance is one thing, copying and pasting from the studio version is a new level of mediocrity ...and also stupidity

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-03-19 16:40 by dedospegajosos.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: March 19, 2024 17:30

dedospegajosos
Overdubbing with a new performance is one thing, copying and pasting from the studio version is a new level of mediocrity ...and also stupidity

It certainly is not very "punk". If that word has any meaning at all, it must be the opposite of something like overdubbing a studio version onto a live recording.

Date: March 19, 2024 21:49

matxil
dedospegajosos
Overdubbing with a new performance is one thing, copying and pgrinning smileyasting from the studio version is a new level of mediocrity ...and also stupidity

It certainly is not very "punk". If that word has any meaning at all, it must be the opposite of something like overdubbing a studio version onto a live recording.

It starts to seriously sound that "Fortune Teller" and "I've Been Loving You For Too Long" on GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT! wasn't that punk thing to do... grinning smiley

Although it was so shameless that it almost had a punk attitude...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-03-19 21:51 by Doxa.

Date: March 19, 2024 22:08

dedospegajosos

Hmm..I get your point and feel your sentiment, but what does it really matter from where the over-dub derives from? That of Jagger hammering the part one to one again, or using the already recorded 'original'? A studio over-dub and 'non-authentic' all the same.

More that of stupidity I would call it more like laziness... Or pragmatic reasoning.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-03-19 22:08 by Doxa.

Date: March 20, 2024 17:20

Doxa
dedospegajosos

Hmm..I get your point and feel your sentiment, but what does it really matter from where the over-dub derives from? That of Jagger hammering the part one to one again, or using the already recorded 'original'? A studio over-dub and 'non-authentic' all the same.

More that of stupidity I would call it more like laziness... Or pragmatic reasoning.

- Doxa

Imagine Get yer ya yas out! overdubbed with the original studio tracks instead of the re-recorded newly performed parts...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8283848586878889909192...LastNext
Current Page: 87 of 96

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1939
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home