Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6768697071727374757677...LastNext
Current Page: 72 of 96
Re: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Date: January 11, 2024 12:09

Are you happy with HD, Stoneage?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 11, 2024 12:15

I'm glad that they released some new material instead of yet another tour. For a final verdict I think you need to give me some more time.
I wasn't expecting a new Sticky Fingers though. I'm just happy that they managed to finally release this one.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: January 11, 2024 14:46

Stoneage
If radio spin is an indicator Mess It Up is the one getting the most of it. Probably because it's "modern" and radio friendly (R&B, pop). I wonder if they will release a fourth single?

There's no physical release for Mess It Up, right? Just digitally released and the remix?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 11, 2024 15:11

I don't know, VL 13. Maybe someone else can answer that question?

Date: January 11, 2024 15:19

GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13
I've since come to tolerate Rambler live, as I realize that it's not going anywhere, unfortunately. I'd rather have Shelter over Rambler live if given the choice. I've never liked the dark lyrics, and (not to set off a sh-show on here), but in a time when so many other lesser songs have been removed, I'm shocked that this one survives. Now granted, I don't agree with removing ANY song or censorship in general, but I'm just surprised is all, given the topic/content of MR.

You're "shocked" that Midnight Rambler is still played "given the topic/content" yet you'd rather hear Gimme Shelter... ha ha, okay.

Shelter is as pertinent now as it ever was, unfortunately.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 11, 2024 15:35

VoodooLounge13

There's no physical release for Mess It Up, right?

Yes, there's no official physical single for 'Mess It Up' until now.

Date: January 11, 2024 16:23

ok after 2000 listens..

Still love this Album. Only one I really don't like is Mess it up.

Great job by our guys! Never expected it too be this good.

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: January 11, 2024 19:01

I do like all these differences of taste. The more I hear Mess it up the better I like it.

Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: January 11, 2024 19:31

VoodooLounge13

There's no physical release for Mess It Up, right? Just digitally released and the remix?

A promo CDR: [www.discogs.com]
(if it is genuine and not a bootleg...)

Date: January 11, 2024 19:50

wiredallnight
VoodooLounge13

A promo CDR: [www.discogs.com]
(if it is genuine and not a bootleg...)

Thanks for posting this! Much appreciated!!!!

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: January 11, 2024 20:28

VoodooLounge13
GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13
I've since come to tolerate Rambler live, as I realize that it's not going anywhere, unfortunately. I'd rather have Shelter over Rambler live if given the choice. I've never liked the dark lyrics, and (not to set off a sh-show on here), but in a time when so many other lesser songs have been removed, I'm shocked that this one survives. Now granted, I don't agree with removing ANY song or censorship in general, but I'm just surprised is all, given the topic/content of MR.

You're "shocked" that Midnight Rambler is still played "given the topic/content" yet you'd rather hear Gimme Shelter... ha ha, okay.

Shelter is as pertinent now as it ever was, unfortunately.

I think gimme shelter is a 2-word prayer

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 11, 2024 21:21

Yeah, Mess It Up is great!
Gun to my head, if I had to narrow down my favorites on the album, I'd go with:

Angry
Get Close
Depending On You
Bite My Head Off
Whole Wide World
Dreamy Skies
Mess It Up
Live By The Sword
Driving Me Too Hard
Tell Me Straight
Sweet Sounds of Heaven
Rollin' Stone Blues

Date: January 11, 2024 21:25

LeonidP

Angry
Get Close
Depending On You
Bite My Head Off
Whole Wide World
Dreamy Skies
Mess It Up
Live By The Sword
Driving Me Too Hard
Tell Me Straight
Sweet Sounds of Heaven
Rollin' Stone Blues

Hahaha. Brilliant.
Though Mess It Up is the one I'm more likely to skip, I do find myself playing bits of it over and over in my head.
SHE STOLE MY NUMBAH!!

Posted by: wolundamo ()
Date: January 11, 2024 21:27

Hackney Diamonds are nr 1 in Austria in 2023 album charts...happy!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 12, 2024 02:41

MadMetaphoricalMax
LeonidP

Angry
Get Close
Depending On You
Bite My Head Off
Whole Wide World
Dreamy Skies
Mess It Up
Live By The Sword
Driving Me Too Hard
Tell Me Straight
Sweet Sounds of Heaven
Rollin' Stone Blues

Hahaha. Brilliant.
Though Mess It Up is the one I'm more likely to skip, I do find myself playing bits of it over and over in my head.
SHE STOLE MY NUMBAH!!

and you won't lieeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 12, 2024 02:43

Stoneage
If radio spin is an indicator Mess It Up is the one getting the most of it. Probably because it's "modern" and radio friendly (R&B, pop). I wonder if they will release a fourth single?

I'm going with Whole Wide World for a 4th single. Depending On You for number 5 (could it hit the country charts)?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 12, 2024 04:11

Yeah we need a 4th single
with an unreleased track on b-side .......

ROCKMAN

Date: January 12, 2024 05:17

It's one of the only CD's I have removed, listened to another CD, and then listened to again.

I'd say we are lucky to have this. It sure beats ABB and B2B although there are a few good tracks on each or those albums.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 12, 2024 06:57

georgemcdonnell314
It's one of the only CD's I have removed, listened to another CD, and then listened to again.

I'd say we are lucky to have this. It sure beats ABB and B2B although there are a few good tracks on each or those albums.

BTB and ABB aren't solid enough. They're decent or even great, at times, but that's the issue, which usually stems from too much filler, whether it was "current" or "different" doesn't justify its existence. Gunface and MAWGJ should've been a B-sides to the fifth single. SNC should've been left off - and not even bootlegged.

HD is solid.

And it's awesome.

Posted by: thunderball ()
Date: January 12, 2024 10:33

Carnaby red back in stock. [rsno9.co.uk]

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: January 12, 2024 12:33

Bridges is their best album since Tatoo You

Date: January 12, 2024 14:03

Taylor1
Bridges is their best album since Tatoo You

The best stuff on it, yes. However, as an album it's too uneven, imo.

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: January 12, 2024 15:43

As a 76 year old I am talking for myself, I cannot decide for another what is the best album.
For me this album Hackney Diamonds is a completely good album, I like all the songs. It's just a miracle that this album comes out with their 80 year old ages in 2023. It's a dream that I can still experience this. 51 years ago I was talking with friends about the then newly released album Exile on Main St. And 50 years later we are discussing new material again.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: January 12, 2024 16:02

HD is very simple. "Power-chords" and strong melodies. Very pop in a way, not? 1980, Keith and Ron noooodled around in stuff like Down in the hole. Beautiful and very fascinating. Licks, bendings, syncopation and all of that. They despised a straight A-chord right on the first beat. No challenge in doing that. We all miss that, but we all get old. smiling smiley

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: January 12, 2024 19:12

I don't quite see the connection between so called power chords and pop, really. And to me ER is way more 'poppy' than HD, I have to say.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 12, 2024 21:53

Power chords, chords, straight A-cord on the first beat, it all comes down to the classic pop idea where the drums play the beat, the guitars and pianos play the harmonies (chords) and the vocals sing the melodies. In that field, the Beatles will always be the best.

What made the Stones special was, in one word: rhythm. None of their classic big hits excel in melody. Not Satisfaction, not Honky Tonk, not Rambler, not Gimme Shelter, not Start Me Up. That doesn't mean their melodies aren't good, they are great, but it's not what made them different from any other band. What made them stand out was the beat, the drive, the push forward. What made the Stones special was that the rhythm section was at least four-fold: Charlie Watts + Keith Richards + Bill Wyman + Mick Jagger. Richards is an outstanding rhythm guitar player and Jagger is an outstanding rhythm singer (dynamics, timing, intonation).

HD is a good album, but it's not a rhythm album. That's why some people don't like it. That's why I, while I do like it, don't think it's their best. It lacks what made the Stones special: their original approach to rhythm. That's why it annoys me when I see people comparing Get Close to Slave, for example.

Now, people are going to say that HD does have rhythms. Yes, of course. All songs have rhythm. But the Stones used to have a unique approach to playing rhythms (unique in pop music, although much more common in blues, jazz, flamenco), in which the rhythmic parts are shared by all players. On Keith's solo albums even by the backing vocals. A mosaic of hits and beats and licks and Jagger's voice and bass patterns. That's why, to me, their best album will always be Exile because it's the best showcase of it. That's why ER is less pop than HD, because ER shows that rhythmic interplay and HD doesn't.

That is, I might add, why I love Thief in the Night (especially the live versions) so much: it's only 3 chords, but it's all about the flow and that gentle smooth rhythm and it's not even clear where it comes from.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-12 21:56 by matxil.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: January 12, 2024 22:06

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-12 22:11 by SomeGuy.

Date: January 12, 2024 22:15

I like Hackney Diamond melodies.

Yes maybe on some earlier album there were more rhythmic variations.

But e.g. Live by the Sword, Get Close and Depending on you also have great and unique, Stones-based rhythm.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: January 12, 2024 22:18

treaclefingers
Stoneage

I'm going with Whole Wide World for a 4th single. Depending On You for number 5 (could it hit the country charts)?

What was single #3? They released a video and a remix for Mess it Up but I don't think they released the song as a single yet.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: January 12, 2024 23:10

Have you ever tried humming "Start Me Up" for yourself, for instance when doing housework? I have. I felt like a madman, obsessed by subtleties.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6768697071727374757677...LastNext
Current Page: 72 of 96

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2081
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home