Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6465666768697071727374...LastNext
Current Page: 69 of 96
Re: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: January 2, 2024 08:21

drewmaster
MKjan
The US figures are not very surprising despite B&L sales and a great concert
history. We live in the United Mistakes of Amnesia, and that's a shame.

I don't think the title helps. Most Americans (myself included) haven't heard of Hackney. Not to mention Fulham.

Drew

Agreed. Smash n Grab would've been so much better, IMO. Very in the news (in the US), no translation needed and more attitude, plus high "rolls off the tongue" factor.

Posted by: dedospegajosos ()
Date: January 2, 2024 18:10

Has anyone revisited the reviews comments we made on A Bigger Bang when it came out? I don’t have time yet, but for what I can remember they were very similar to the opinions of Hackney. Love is blind

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-02 18:10 by dedospegajosos.

Posted by: Mabru ()
Date: January 2, 2024 18:13

In the Netherlands Hackney Diamonds was the best sold album of 2023

Article is in Dutch
https://www.radioveronica.nl/artikelen/dit-zijn-de-bestverkochte-en-meest-gestreamde-albums-van-2023][/url]

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 2, 2024 18:51

dedospegajosos
Has anyone revisited the reviews comments we made on A Bigger Bang when it came out? I don’t have time yet, but for what I can remember they were very similar to the opinions of Hackney. Love is blind

I think the usual pattern is an initial hyperbole, which can be quite aggressive and go on for a long time. Then criticism is allowed followed by a blend of opinions. It's like Hegel's dialectics.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 2, 2024 20:03

dedospegajosos

I haven't looked at any iorr reviews (can't even find anything under, say, A BIGGER BANG - album talk) but looking at [timeisonourside.com] the Stones were short quipped about it, saying things like "The band is really getting into these songs. I think maybe because we did start the album off in such a Me and Mick area, the stuff is eminently playable onstage. Everybody's really up for it" and "This is Charlie Watts' finest album" (Keith) and "very vibrant and very contemporary, yet hard-hitting... classical Rolling Stones" (Mick) yet we know what happened with The Rolling Stones touring that album - it quickly became an afterthought.

On that page the reviews were more closer to 5/5 than 3/5 (although there's only a few so that's not saying much) but it got good attention and the usual (now) 'it's been forever since...' and 'it's as good as...' that is the normal aspect of how long they've been around and comparisons to past albums, although the Q review is probably the most brutal.

Personally I find HD way more listenable (and, strangely, perhaps, they sound more like The Rolling Stones) than ABB, which I still like, but it's nowhere near as vibrant or as good as HD strictly in that comparison. HD certainly is better than the previous, what, well, since UDERCOVER, so 5 (original) albums.

It highlights how they haven't worked on new music when you look at just the 1997-2005 window first, and then since, sans what few new tunes here and there, although Ghost Town certainly hinted at a huge improvement and fortunately what to expect.

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: January 2, 2024 20:31

Hackney diamonds from The Rolling Stones best-selling album of 2023 in the Netherlands.

Hackney Diamonds by The Rolling Stones is the best-selling and most streamed album of 2023 in the Netherlands. This can be seen in the annual overview published on Tuesday by hit list compiler GfK.

Yearlist 2023

01 The Rolling Stones - Hackney Diamonds
02 Taylor Swift - Midnights
03 Harry Styles - Harry’s House
04 SZA - SOS
05 Metro Boomin - Heroes & Villains
06 FLEMMING - FLEMMING
07 Taylor Swift - 1989 (Taylor’s Version)
08 Goldband - Betaalbare Romantiek
09 Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
10 The Weeknd – Starboy

The Rolling Stones' first studio album of new work since 2005 and the first since the death of drummer Charlie Watts was released on October 20. A week later, Hackney Diamonds debuted at number one on the Album Top 100 and the record is still in the highest regions of the charts.

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: January 2, 2024 20:52

UrbanSteel
Hackney diamonds from The Rolling Stones best-selling album of 2023 in the Netherlands.

Hackney Diamonds by The Rolling Stones is the best-selling and most streamed album of 2023 in the Netherlands. This can be seen in the annual overview published on Tuesday by hit list compiler GfK.

Yearlist 2023

01 The Rolling Stones - Hackney Diamonds
02 Taylor Swift - Midnights
03 Harry Styles - Harry’s House
04 SZA - SOS
05 Metro Boomin - Heroes & Villains
06 FLEMMING - FLEMMING
07 Taylor Swift - 1989 (Taylor’s Version)
08 Goldband - Betaalbare Romantiek
09 Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
10 The Weeknd – Starboy

The Rolling Stones' first studio album of new work since 2005 and the first since the death of drummer Charlie Watts was released on October 20. A week later, Hackney Diamonds debuted at number one on the Album Top 100 and the record is still in the highest regions of the charts.

Way to go!

Date: January 3, 2024 17:30

Am I the only weirdo that is getting tired of it? I really liked it a lot and listened to it almost every day for the last couple of months but now I can´t do it anymore. I feel like it was a sugar rush that suddenly stopped. Maybe I need a rest. Enjoying Voodoo Lounge much more now..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 17:33 by dedospegajosos.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: January 3, 2024 18:43

I do not listen to HD as much as a couple of weeks ago, but I must say that the live edition has done the trick prolonging the experience. I also received the CD/Bluray as a very welcome christmas gift and the Atmos version is a very good way to listen to it. So it seems that things are conjuring against me shelving it spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: January 4, 2024 01:49

dedospegajosos
Am I the only weirdo that is getting tired of it? I really liked it a lot and listened to it almost every day for the last couple of months but now I can´t do it anymore. I feel like it was a sugar rush that suddenly stopped. Maybe I need a rest. Enjoying Voodoo Lounge much more now..

Plenty of music from 2023 to listen to. Quality is tremendous.

Date: January 4, 2024 02:50

Bastion
dedospegajosos

Can you recommend something? I think the only new release I bought in 2023 was the new Blur album. Im too busy I guess..., thanks in advance!!

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: January 4, 2024 06:06

dedospegajosos

Well, considering it never really got off the ground for me, I'd say you're not the only one.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 4, 2024 08:19

.....with mixed emotions .........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 4, 2024 10:08

VoodooLounge13
dedospegajosos

Well, considering it never really got off the ground for me, I'd say you're not the only one.

Yeah, I can concur with you. Whilst I do acknowledge that Hackney Diamonds is a 'good' album, I can't envisage revisiting it too often. I'm far more likely to listen to a '60's Stones' playlist on shuffle, or perhaps listen to Let it Bleed for the billionth time.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 4, 2024 10:20

For me , just about every album becomes my "flavour of the month" from time to time... and gets played to death for a while .

Some albums cycle round more often than others I suppose , but I think HD will continue to visit my turntable quite often in the longer term.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-04 11:25 by Spud.

Date: January 4, 2024 13:54

Big Al
VoodooLounge13
dedospegajosos

Yeah, I can concur with you. Whilst I do acknowledge that Hackney Diamonds is a 'good' album, I can't envisage revisiting it too often. I'm far more likely to listen to a '60's Stones' playlist on shuffle, or perhaps listen to Let it Bleed for the billionth time.

I've listened to it daily for agesm, then A LOT, and while it has sloped off a bit since Christmas, it's still a regular feature on my CD player, and it's not palled on me at all - in comparison, Bigger Bang had nothing like the same duration. There are some really good songs on that album, but plenty of duds, and some of the lyrics were cringey, while here, Jagger is a lot more interesting lyrically, with character songs, strong narrative songs, relationship songs, songs that admit vulnerability and loss like the old blues songs do, songs with wit rather than the braggadocio of strutting around with a hard-on and a little black book. Maybe lyrically, things changed with that great Jagger song for Slow Horses. Really good lyrics and style there, and a feel that carries over to HD, in my opinion, and one more reason why this album is a keeper...

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: January 4, 2024 14:15

Things come up after a while. Reading all those positive reviews now is quite annoying, reminding me of lazy journalism. The Quietus` "Get Off My Loud" article is the only one that`s raises issues that resonates with me.

Myself, I`ve never been that fond of "Some Girls". Including this album among all the references in the form of "Bite My Head Off" and "Whole Wide World" makes me feel "-Ugh!". I`ve never wanted The Stones to play punk rock, and now punk rock with added bombast, from the year 2023. The second half of the album is more to my liking.

Date: January 4, 2024 14:49

Rockman
.....with mixed emotions .........

Well played, Rock!

Date: January 4, 2024 15:01

dedospegajosos
Bastion
dedospegajosos

Can you recommend something? I think the only new release I bought in 2023 was the new Blur album. Im too busy I guess..., thanks in advance!!

For me, in '23, I discovered Whiskey Myers, who I firmly believe to be the second coming of Skynyrd, a band that I admittedly never really was that into, but I also got into them a lot in '23 and discovered that everything I thought about the band was completely off. They are sooooooooo much more and deeper than just some Southern redneck band. Had they not crashed, they quite possibly could have been the greatest American band of all time. (Still deserve being brought up in the convo, but I think that honor goes to CCR and then the Beach Boys). Also got into Tyler Childers this year, and he is damn good. More bluegrass type stuff though so may not be everyone's cup o' tea. And I got into a few lesser known reggae bands, whose names escape me at the moment. Currently, I'm listening to Jeff LaBar's solo album, One For The Road, and I am really blown away by how good it is!!! LaBar was the guitarist in the 80's band Cinderella - my absolute favorite of that genre, and whom I felt never got their due, being lumped in with all those other bands. They had real talent........but I digress. The album has a Cinderella sound and his singing voice is quite strong. I've been pleasantly surprised by it. It's a definite keeper for me.

'23 was more a year of expansion - listened to all of Skynyrd, all of Dylan (I think - maybe that was '22?), all of Priest, all of Sabbath, all of Taylor Swift. Here at the turn of the year, I find myself listening to Zep, a band I've never really been overly fond of, outside of 4, which is quintessential. My #4 all-time favorite album. Trying to get into the Chris Robinson Brotherhood, but that jam-based, Dead stuff has never been my flavor.

I played the Into The Wild soundtrack a lot. As much as I not a big fan of Pearl Jam, I do find philosophical Vedder to be incredibly deep and moving. And when I want fun, upbeat (not necessarily lyrically) music without thinking about it and to just be in a good mood, I'll throw on my Dua Lipa playlist and dance and sing around the house or in the car.

It was actually a rather diverse year.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-04 15:56 by VoodooLounge13.

Date: January 4, 2024 16:33

noughties
Things come up after a while. Reading all those positive reviews now is quite annoying, reminding me of lazy journalism. The Quietus` "Get Off My Loud" article is the only one that`s raises issues that resonates with me.

Myself, I`ve never been that fond of "Some Girls". Including this album among all the references in the form of "Bite My Head Off" and "Whole Wide World" makes me feel "-Ugh!". I`ve never wanted The Stones to play punk rock, and now punk rock with added bombast, from the year 2023. The second half of the album is more to my liking.

A positive review doesn't mean lazy journalism. It means the reviewer liked what they heard, and if they're not lazy, they'll why. A negative review can be just as lazy, and probably easier to write. The Quietus take down was over the top hysterical and in writing terms, gratingly loud in its relentlessly negative opinion. Fair enough, if it floats your boat!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 5, 2024 01:15

Every song is eggcellent -- What an album!

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: January 5, 2024 06:31

A very strong album of modern production. There’s something for everyone but naysayers.

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: January 5, 2024 09:43

RisingStone
A very strong album of modern production. There’s something for everyone but naysayers.

thumbs up

Date: January 5, 2024 22:14

Could it be the lack of Charlie?? For me, it just doesn't SOUND like a Stones record. Specifically, it doesn't SOUND like the Stones. I hear Mick singing loud and clear, and it's the best he's sounded since B2B IMHO, but the album lacks the distinctive Stones sound....

I am happy it's doing so well in the charts though!! Very happy for them, and well deserved!! It just seems to be an album that sounds like almost all the other modern rock acts. Nothing is drawing me in. Started listening to it again in the car on the way home from my pup's groomer. I do like Angry, and thought the video was great. After 18 years it is great to have new music from them, finally!! Never thought we would, especially post-Charlie. But it's not very memorable to me. There's not a single song that sticks in the brain as catchy. LBTS might come closest. But there's no riff like RJ had. Nothing really that sounds different like RFD.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-06 00:07 by VoodooLounge13.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: January 5, 2024 23:39

On this one we differ Voodoo, I see your point but for me the modern touch would be a plus.

It must have been like for fans in '78 hearing the new wave, punk & disco flavoured 'Some Girls'. Modern at that time, but still identifiably Stones (same for ER & TY). Again in '89, just for another example - 'Steel Wheels' was very produced, and many still prefer the more raw early mixes of those songs. I'm a big fan of Wheels - at the time it sounded as '1989' as any other rock act, but the heartbeat and edge of the Stones (even through the over-production) was there.

HD definitely sounds modern, but has so many quintessentially Stonesy moments - tracks like Angry, Get Close, Driving Me Too Hard, Depending on You etc groove with pure Stones aura and charisma. Their sound, updated for the modern era, but without losing it's charm or magic. This is what they've done many times before, and thankfully, have done one more time (at least - lets hope the next album is as good).

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: January 6, 2024 00:23

UK Chart Update:

"Hackney Diamonds ends a 10-week residency in the Top 10 – their best for a studio album since 1971 – for the Rolling Stones, retreating 6-25 (3,360 sales)."

Also Forty Licks went up to #72 this week.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 6, 2024 01:05

Hackney Diamonds is still #3 in Germany after 11 weeks:

[www.OffizielleCharts.de]

Date: January 6, 2024 05:59

dedospegajosos

I can't speak for anyone else but HD is the only Stones album I've listened to since it came out and it's not ending anytime soon.

Date: January 6, 2024 06:23

VoodooLounge13
Could it be the lack of Charlie?? For me, it just doesn't SOUND like a Stones record. Specifically, it doesn't SOUND like the Stones. I hear Mick singing loud and clear, and it's the best he's sounded since B2B IMHO, but the album lacks the distinctive Stones sound....

I am happy it's doing so well in the charts though!! Very happy for them, and well deserved!! It just seems to be an album that sounds like almost all the other modern rock acts. Nothing is drawing me in. Started listening to it again in the car on the way home from my pup's groomer. I do like Angry, and thought the video was great. After 18 years it is great to have new music from them, finally!! Never thought we would, especially post-Charlie. But it's not very memorable to me. There's not a single song that sticks in the brain as catchy. LBTS might come closest. But there's no riff like RJ had. Nothing really that sounds different like RFD.

Except for Out Of Tears there's not one song on VOODOO LOUNGE that is equal to anything on HACKNEY DIAMONDS.

It's a little different with BRIDGES.

Just a few on BANG.

Whatever. It's all how we hear - and take - songs, albums. HD is excellent, regardless of only two Charlie songs.

Consider the opposite - the worst Rolling Stones album has Charlie on all but two songs.

Two of the greatest Rolling Stones albums has a song without Charlie.

Pedestrian albums like VOODOO LOUNGE and STEEL WHEELS have Charlie on them.

They felt it was worthy, HD. What the fans think, well, it's released so that's that.

The Stones do what they want. They don't care what you or I think. They never have. They shouldn't. They never will.

Date: January 6, 2024 06:44

I literally will not even comment on that GasLight. Wow. To each their own. No doubt.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6465666768697071727374...LastNext
Current Page: 69 of 96

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2490
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home