Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6061626364656667686970...LastNext
Current Page: 65 of 96
Re: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: December 23, 2023 20:45

SomeGuy
I sort of have a natural habit to want to 'see' through the obvious sound aspects of a record and immediately estimate what I think about the songs as compositions and the performance. Therefore, I was aware of the Watt production but it was not in any way a hindrance to enjoy the album.

What I'm thinking right now is, is the Watt approach really so '2023'? What struck me about the sound is not that it sounds trendy or modern so much, as much as it sounds like what loud rock music usually sounds like. Remember that Watt has something of a heavy rock background. To me, the heavier side of rock music sounds as it has sounded for the past 40 years or more, and he, more or less simply, turned up the guitars a bit, basically, in order to make the Stones sound more like what a rock band should sound like as it were. The way I described the new album to someone when I had first heard it, was: think of Aerosmith, Joe Perry. As opposed to their previous albums of the past 35 years, where Keith and Ronnie often sounded strangely idiosyncratic, almost as if they were refusing to sound like other, cooler guitar players. Or maybe that was Don Was' fault.

Just musings on my part. I'm curious to see if I'm totally off the mark here smiling smiley

"other, cooler guitar players" Ouch!

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: December 23, 2023 20:52

MartinB
SomeGuy
I sort of have a natural habit to want to 'see' through the obvious sound aspects of a record and immediately estimate what I think about the songs as compositions and the performance. Therefore, I was aware of the Watt production but it was not in any way a hindrance to enjoy the album.

What I'm thinking right now is, is the Watt approach really so '2023'? What struck me about the sound is not that it sounds trendy or modern so much, as much as it sounds like what loud rock music usually sounds like. Remember that Watt has something of a heavy rock background. To me, the heavier side of rock music sounds as it has sounded for the past 40 years or more, and he, more or less simply, turned up the guitars a bit, basically, in order to make the Stones sound more like what a rock band should sound like as it were. The way I described the new album to someone when I had first heard it, was: think of Aerosmith, Joe Perry. As opposed to their previous albums of the past 35 years, where Keith and Ronnie often sounded strangely idiosyncratic, almost as if they were refusing to sound like other, cooler guitar players. Or maybe that was Don Was' fault.

Just musings on my part. I'm curious to see if I'm totally off the mark here smiling smiley

Let me rephrase that. Other, more generic guitar players, considered to be cool by the public.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: December 23, 2023 22:14

I like Hackney Diamonds. I think it is an excellent album. I'm THRILLED it has sold as well as it has so far. And ecstatic it is back at No. 1 in the UK for Christmas. And also no.1 in Germany.

Some good people here like the album. Other good people don't. Some like the Andrew Watt production. Others don't. Some think it is a fairly typical Stones album. Others think it is absolutely NOT! Basically I don't care.

Two years ago I was one of those who felt The Stones were a busted flush. That they were incapable of ever producing ANYTHING new again. I was WRONG! totally wrong. I also thought that IF they did get something made it would sink without trace in a week or two. Again, I was WRONG. Totally wrong. Okay, okay, the actual sales of Hackney Diamonds, roughly 150,000 units, are hardly earth shattering. But, again, I don't care. Record sales, in every format, are now flatlining. It is how the world works.

The Stones continue to amaze us all. They continue to annoy some of us. They delight more of us. Long may it remain so!

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: December 24, 2023 00:04

after a couple of months, I must say, I like the album, I am listening to it now, the atmos version, even shaking a bit my old butt to mess it up (must be the montalcino red wine) thanks the stones for being there my whole life basically
cheers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-24 00:07 by maumau.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 24, 2023 00:05

GerardHennessy
I like Hackney Diamonds. I think it is an excellent album. I'm THRILLED it has sold as well as it has so far. And ecstatic it is back at No. 1 in the UK for Christmas. And also no.1 in Germany.

Some good people here like the album. Other good people don't. Some like the Andrew Watt production. Others don't. Some think it is a fairly typical Stones album. Others think it is absolutely NOT! Basically I don't care.

Two years ago I was one of those who felt The Stones were a busted flush. That they were incapable of ever producing ANYTHING new again. I was WRONG! totally wrong. I also thought that IF they did get something made it would sink without trace in a week or two. Again, I was WRONG. Totally wrong. Okay, okay, the actual sales of Hackney Diamonds, roughly 150,000 units, are hardly earth shattering. But, again, I don't care. Record sales, in every format, are now flatlining. It is how the world works.

The Stones continue to amaze us all. They continue to annoy some of us. They delight more of us. Long may it remain so!

Great points...have a great holidays Gerald!

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: December 24, 2023 01:49

STONES IN 2023 take it or leave it. Let others enjoy the music.
Talk is cheap.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 24, 2023 02:09

Of the Rolling Stones 14 UK #1 Albums, 'Hackney Diamonds' is only the 3rd
to return to #1 in the same 'Chart Run'.

It is also their 1st Album to do so since 'Sticky Fingers' in 1971.

Their return to No.1 'Chart Runs' are:

1 - 'Rolling Stones No.2' -- (1965) -- 1-1-1-2-1-1-1-1-1-1-2-1

2 - 'Sticky Fingers' -- (1971) -- 1-1-1-1-2-2-1

3 - 'Hackney Diamonds' -- (2023) -- 1-3-4-8-4-3-5-6-1

Exile On Main Street was #1 in 1972 and 2010 with the re-issue, the same with Goats Head Soup in 1973 and 2020.

Date: December 24, 2023 03:01

georgelicks
Of the Rolling Stones 14 UK #1 Albums, 'Hackney Diamonds' is only the 3rd
to return to #1 in the same 'Chart Run'.

It is also their 1st Album to do so since 'Sticky Fingers' in 1971.

Their return to No.1 'Chart Runs' are:

1 - 'Rolling Stones No.2' -- (1965) -- 1-1-1-2-1-1-1-1-1-1-2-1

2 - 'Sticky Fingers' -- (1971) -- 1-1-1-1-2-2-1

3 - 'Hackney Diamonds' -- (2023) -- 1-3-4-8-4-3-5-6-1

Exile On Main Street was #1 in 1972 and 2010 with the re-issue, the same with Goats Head Soup in 1973 and 2020.

A stunning achievement!

Is there an 'asterix' though, as the 'rerelease' with the live album is included in this chart run? In other words, would they have managed it without the bonus cd?

No matter what, their first Christmas no 1!

Date: December 24, 2023 03:56

treaclefingers
GerardHennessy

Great points...have a great holidays Gerald!

And similar good wishes to your excellent self Mr Fingers sir. May your Yule be cool, and your Stones music as fabulously enjoyable as ever. And may your 2024 bring you ever more musical pleasure...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 24, 2023 04:03

keefriffhards
GasLightStreet Merry Christmas.

I don't have the time or inclination to respond to a rant like that.
I love all Stones albums up to and including Voodoo Lounge, even Dirty Work.
As far as I'm concerned the Stones don't change enough, as i said a few days ago they have been playing the same show since 89' they absolutely don't like change, they play the same hits every tour.

It's all opinions, it's all good, nothing personal about it, one man's meat is another man's poison, i like the album but i should love it, if anything it's Stones by numbers, it's not change, although it's worth the price of the CD alone for SSOH.

You're right.

Believe me, I'm not "defending" them, I got cranky and was just wondering how you don't hear how good this album is. I don't hear Stones-by-numbers, I hear 2023 Stones that are interested in writing/releasing new music. It's not as diverse as UNDERCOVER or BRIDGES but it's certainly more solid than anything since 1981. At this point, if they're indeed doing Stones-by-numbers and it's this good, so be it. They are at the end of the road.

In regard to since 1989, they've essentially played x amount of the same songs at almost every show but they have done various other tunes for most tours, LICKS being the most diverse, obviously.

Date: December 24, 2023 08:49

SomeGuy

It's more Mick than anyone else regarding 2023. Watt did what he does, and given his position, being a huge fan, well, its his profile as a producer that got him landed.

He did a fantastic job. Is there really a way to have a sound of the moment regarding a year? Anything production wise comes from the past in regard to the now. There's no future in terms of 'this was recorded' other than saying it's new. The Stones did that already - and we're way behind the curve - with BRIDGES (and SOME GIRLS/EMOTIONAL RESCUE for that matter).

Living In A Ghost Town worked so well because it was a single. What little was done to it, in tandem with the recent and current production aspects, worked excellently.

Maybe part of why UNDERCOVER worked/works so well is because they were actually in time or slightly ahead with some of the production aspects (Too Much Blood, Feel On Baby, Undercover Of The Night). It's just those three, really, that stand out in terms of 'the deal' at the time. The rest of the tunes are straight forward Stones except they have an edge to them that nothing had ever had before or since, at least until BRIDGES with some songs.

As bad as DIRTY WORK is it has an invigorating aspect to its sound, where as VOODOO LOUNGE sounds incredibly lazy and unfocused, which is rather odd, seeing that the production team was going for an EXILE feel (total fail).

Don Was made that album sterile: it makes BLACK AND BLUE sound vibrant.

In 1982 and 1985 the Stones were still into what they were doing in regard to U and DW - listen to U and DW in that order and then STEEL WHEELS and... what the hell happened?

U was a creation out of necessity and difference. DW was a creation out of defiance. SW was a creation of, basically, 'we have to.' VL was 'oh we're The Stones'. BTB was 'We're the Stones?' and A BIGGER BANG was... we're the Stones now and we obviously don't care.

Think of or listen to all of those 5 albums and then skip the blues album listen to HD: it won't have the patina of 1978-1983 unless they want it to.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 24, 2023 10:41

SomeGuy
MartinB
SomeGuy

Let me rephrase that. Other, more generic guitar players, considered to be cool by the public.

I think someone else on this thread called it Middle of the Road rock. I think you're right. Guitar-wise, this album lacks what made the Stones stand out from other bands: the funky, wobbly, before/after the beat licks and riffs.
The strength of this album is Jagger's singing and the quality of the song-writing. But, ironically, their song-writing on this album is also very "like other bands": verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, solo, chorus. Indeed, in that sense not so different from latter-day Aerosmith.
It's this what is most noticeable: when you think of the past Stones highlights, their best songs were hardly particularly "clever" songwriting. Gimme Shelter, JJF, Midnight Rambler, Tumbling Dice, Start Me Up, etc...., none of those is your typical verse, chorus, bridge thing.
Like you, I'm not bothered so much about the Watts production, and I like the album for what it is: a good pop album. But I regret that it lacks some of what made them different from other bands. What's still most recognizable is Jagger's voice and how he sings (his timing), which are excellent.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: December 24, 2023 10:52

Switch on Hackney Diamonds at full volume and remember how good life is!

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: December 24, 2023 12:01

...in our time it is far more difficult to return in the first place than during the last century...above all for an old act as the Stones...it’s exceptionnel..Thanks to the live cd...we’ll see in US 19 january...!

Date: December 24, 2023 16:29

matxil
SomeGuy
MartinB
SomeGuy

I think someone else on this thread called it Middle of the Road rock. I think you're right. Guitar-wise, this album lacks what made the Stones stand out from other bands: the funky, wobbly, before/after the beat licks and riffs.
The strength of this album is Jagger's singing and the quality of the song-writing. But, ironically, their song-writing on this album is also very "like other bands": verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, solo, chorus. Indeed, in that sense not so different from latter-day Aerosmith.
It's this what is most noticeable: when you think of the past Stones highlights, their best songs were hardly particularly "clever" songwriting. Gimme Shelter, JJF, Midnight Rambler, Tumbling Dice, Start Me Up, etc...., none of those is your typical verse, chorus, bridge thing.
Like you, I'm not bothered so much about the Watts production, and I like the album for what it is: a good pop album. But I regret that it lacks some of what made them different from other bands. What's still most recognizable is Jagger's voice and how he sings (his timing), which are excellent.

Is is MOR? Is it classic Stones? Is it clichéd? Is it a pale retread of the great days? With respect to ALL here, I neither know or care what the answers to any of these questions are. I am simply enjoying a damn good rock album by a band that have defied all and every convention regarding the longevity, productivity, activity and functionality of a rock group.

The Stones have millions of fans. Every one of those fans will have their own views. That is fantastic! Thank God that a wide range of views, opinions, likes, dislikes, criticisms, compliments, argument and counter arguments still proliferate. The Stones will never 'go gentle into that good night' as Dylan Thomas memorably said. And I for one, am thrilled by that. For almost every day of my sixty years of fandom, The Stones have been their own men, doing things in THEIR way. And this time they certainly took me totally by surprise. I thought anything original they produced would be a bit of a let down, destined to sink quickly and quietly. Instead they have divided opinion. Pleased and infuriated in equal measure. And, once again, effortlessly got us all animated, energised and opinionated. Oh yes, and I am just like I was back in the 60's, playing their latest album over and over and over again.

Good on 'em.

Date: December 24, 2023 16:57

matxil
SomeGuy
MartinB
SomeGuy

Given the sheer number of styles covered on this album, I'm not sure how anyone could define it as MOR.

Get Close I think has been criticized for that...though I love the tune perhaps that fits in that category.

But name another tune. Angry? Driving Me Too Hard? Maybe Depending On You...love that one too; just trying to imagine what songs you identify as MOR.

WWW, Bite My Head Off, Dreamy Skies, SSoH, Rolling Stone Blues, Tell Me Straight, Live By The Sword, Mess It Up are most certainly not.

For me "Get Close" is really the only song I could define as MOR, though I think it's excellent.

Songs from the past like High Wire and Don't Stop I think are MOR...High Wire's great, Don't Stop is a bit generic.

I don't think the Stones do MOR all that much but when they do it's mostly good.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: December 24, 2023 17:35

After eight weeks of listening, this new album remains thoroughly enjoyable

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 24, 2023 17:45

You know it tomcat2006 ... xmas came early for us and is carrying over.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: December 24, 2023 18:36

I suspect it`s a Stones album for those who aren`t that excited by The Stones in the first place. -Those with spoiled ears, that is. -The U2 generation. -Spoiled with "excellent sound".

Still, I can like it. I remember when buying the album, the salesman called it "real rock and roll". What did he mean by that? In hindsight, he could be said to give me a premonition of what to come. Maybe he was thinking of "Bite My Head Off" and "Whole Wide World"? Maybe he was giving me a warning. -Not a likely album to buy for a 67 years old...

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: December 24, 2023 19:21

Noughties maybee better for you to buy some of Keith,s jazzalbums?

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: December 24, 2023 23:26

We all hear things differently, that's the beauty of music. For die hards like us on the board, the weight of expectation is quite a hurdle for any album by the band, we'll sometimes critique it far more surgically than casual reviewers/listeners would.

I posted a few days back I love the album, the expectation for me was not only met but surpassed. I don't think of any of it as MOR, nor a '2023' album so to speak. For me it is simply a mighty fine rock'n'roll record with some of my absolute favourite songs of the year.

Tracks like 'Sweet Sounds', 'Tell Me Straight', 'Mess It Up', 'Depending on You', are high quality, stellar Stones tracks. I think the album is very well written, very well produced. 9 weeks after release I still find myself returning to it every few days. A wonderful album, and coming from a band of their vintage, amazing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-24 23:28 by IrelandCalling4.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: December 25, 2023 00:07

harlem shuffle
Noughties maybee better for you to buy some of Keith,s jazzalbums?

You have a point.

Date: December 25, 2023 04:44

GerardHennessy

I love the album. It's a continuation of what Keith found within CROSSEYED HEART in terms of writing, writing new, regardless of genre or time or age: being alive and creating.

With Mick driving, as usual, this time Keith found the drive again. The excellent Driving Me Too Hard, the thumping Angry, the chunky Get Close, the slinky slanky Whole Wide World, the glorious Depending On You, the classic licks and wariness in Dreamy Skies, and, of course, the brilliant Tell Me Straight.

We've been gifted a new Stones album. One that Mick drove to being better than the previous 3 (excluding B&L), not accepting just having another Stones album (says a lot about Don Was) and for that matter, the best since UNDERCOVER or better yet, TATOO YOU, with the clarity of SOME GIRLS and its sweeping of genres.

Living In A Ghost Town gave me hope but, like you, I was extremely doubtful.

Of course it makes sense now.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: December 25, 2023 05:46

I love the album. The only track I haven't warmed to and have to skip is Dreamy Skies. It still distracts me with how much it sounds like Short And Curlies. Hopefully it will grow on me someday.

Driving Me Too Hard and Tell Me Straight are still not on my favorites list, but they're okay for what they are. I appreciate them. I just naturally tend away from ballads, but they're good songs.

I think I did myself wrong by listening to Eazy Sleazy so close before the release of the album. It distracted me badly at first when it came to Bite My Head Off. But the song finally grew on me. Having at the DVD menu music helped a little. I just realized that Eazy Sleazy and Liar are the type of songs Mick loves, so if Bite My Head Off sounds similar, I figure it's okay.

Here's my custom CD mix, freshly burned today and spinning now:

1. Angry
2. Bite My Head Off
3. Live By The Sword
4. Get Close
5. Whole Wide World
6. Mess It Up
7. Depending On You
8. Driving Me Too Hard
9. Tell Me Straight
10. Rolling Stone Blues
11. Living In A Ghost Town
13. Mess It Up (Purple Disco Machine Remix)
14. Angry (Live)
15. Bite My Head Off (Live)
16. Whole Wide World (Live)
17. Sweet Sounds Of Heaven (Live)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-25 05:47 by jahisnotdead.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 26, 2023 02:24

HD reached Platinum in FRANCE today, it sold over 100,000 units.
[x.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 26, 2023 02:37

......go Hack ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: December 26, 2023 08:33

georgelicks
HD reached Platinum in FRANCE today, it sold over 100,000 units.
[x.com]

smileys with beer

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: December 26, 2023 11:10

How Many copies sold in Italy and US?Has it sold over a milion worldwide?

Posted by: ohmercy61 ()
Date: December 27, 2023 01:26

Hackney is by far my most favorite album since some girls I freaking love this album.

Posted by: goingmad ()
Date: December 27, 2023 02:25

ohmercy61
Hackney is by far my most favorite album since some girls I freaking love this album.
thumbs upsmileys with beer

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6061626364656667686970...LastNext
Current Page: 65 of 96

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2003
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home