Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5657585960616263646566...LastNext
Current Page: 61 of 96
Re: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 19, 2023 02:41

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
yorkshirestone
Heading for Christmas number 1 album in the uk

[www.officialcharts.com]

Absolutely awesome news...this baby's got legs!

what the hell is wrong with N.A.?!

Nikki Mange.

are you referring to Onika Tanya Maraj-Petty?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 19, 2023 03:04

treaclefingers
Doxa
Europeans love the Stones. Stupid Americans do not.

But so what - there will be not world for any longer in 2025 - Trump and Putin will guarantee you that!

- Doxa

Doxa! It may be the holiday season, but no drunk posting!

So what. Let us bullshit now. Next year we all we will explode, as our sweet Trump will take the command as the "smart people" of US will love to have. There are people on this site that that have orgasms for that guy, go figure. For the rest of us, we now there is no tomorrow. Fascism is back here.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-19 03:10 by Doxa.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 19, 2023 03:34

And why do you think liberals in Europe had a change of heart?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 19, 2023 05:08

Doxa

- Doxa

LOL you forget how big America is?

On another note - how many people live in London? Yet Stones album sales have always been low... London doesn't know the Stones exist.

Stupid UK European people! Most album sales have happened in the US overall. Europeans are too busy taking holiday!

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 19, 2023 10:06

Redhotcarpet
And why do you think liberals in Europe had a change of heart?

"Liberal" in Europe means right-wing. And yes, they had a change of heart: right-wing parties now openly support extreme-right parties. Like they did oh so many years ago.

But let's skip the politics, as long as we're still alive. I liked the live version of JJF posted here yesterday. I never was very fond of Ronnie's high notes patterns during the song, but in this version they are not so obvious and he plays some mean parts. However, I was disappointed to read that most of their live songs are heavily overdubbed. (I knew some of Get Yer YaYa's Out was overdubbed too, but I didn't know it was so much of it.)

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: December 19, 2023 11:13

What do you not understand about "no politics"?

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: December 19, 2023 12:00

Doxa
treaclefingers
Doxa

But so what - there will be not world for any longer in 2025 - Trump and Putin will guarantee you that!

- Doxa

So what. Let us bullshit now. Next year we all we will explode, as our sweet Trump will take the command as the "smart people" of US will love to have. There are people on this site that that have orgasms for that guy, go figure. For the rest of us, we now there is no tomorrow. Fascism is back here.

- Doxa

Please!
Normally I aprecciate yours posts very much. Stones help us, to forget that bullshit around us for a short while.
Please no discussion about Trump or liberal europe and stuff like that.

By the way: the bonus live CD makes my month. Glad, they did lots of corrections and overdubs. So it´s so much fun to listen to this core-band

Date: December 19, 2023 13:13

GasLightStreet
Doxa

- Doxa

On another note - how many people live in London? Yet Stones album sales have always been low... London doesn't know the Stones exist.

Stupid UK European people! Most album sales have happened in the US overall. Europeans are too busy taking holiday!

America is a huge place. Europe is even bigger.

But America used to be their biggest market. Back in the old days almost 50% of their over-all sales happened there. Now it is something like 15%. Something has changed. Europe is the biggest market now - about 50% sales derive from there. Not that the absolute sales are that different there - more like Europeans tend to still buy albums while Americans not.

Their homeland UK seems to be a special case. For decades they did not that sell that well there, but now (BLUE&LONESOME, HACKNEY DIAMONDS) they do. Interestingly, they sell about same amount of copies there as in the whole US of America. It's actually incredible: since EXILE, only SOME GIRLS and TATTOO YOU were able to sell a bit more than BLUE&LONESOME in UK, most of the albums not even half of it.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-19 13:15 by Doxa.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 19, 2023 13:47

Well you know what old fuddy-duddies we are in the UK .

Takes us a while to warm to things...

...and you can't go on forever not buying somebody's records just because they have long hair and don't tuck their shirts in properly.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 19, 2023 14:15

Why this huge concern about sales numbers? It seems like almost every post is about that. Is it that important?

Date: December 19, 2023 14:22

Spud

...and you can't go on forever not buying somebody's records just because they have long hair and don't tuck their shirts in properly.

Well, it looks like you guys loved them at first sight, but then, as they started to gather international interest, did forget them... Their first album sold nice 840 000 copies there, only EXILE being able to sell tiny more (875 000). Almost all of those albums from the 70s, 80s and 90s that sold millions in America, sold only about 150 000-200 000 a piece at home...

But yeah, the prodigal sons are welcomed back home lately... There is something romantic there. Home sweet home...

- Doxa

Date: December 19, 2023 14:39

Stoneage
Why this huge concern about sales numbers? It seems like almost every post is about that. Is it that important?

Oh yeah, we sometimes forget that we are here talking about an avantgarde act, and that the commercial success has nothing to do with the the doings of the Stones ever. "You can keep the money, pal".

Now, send me my 17th copy of HACKNEY DIAMONDS. There is a funny-colored tongue there on the cover I don't own yet.

- Doxa

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: December 19, 2023 14:46

Doxa
Stoneage

Oh yeah, we sometimes forget that we are here talking about an avantgarde act, and that the commercial success has nothing to do with the the doings of the Stones ever. "You can keep the money, pal".

Now, send me my 17th copy of HACKNEY DIAMONDS. There is a funny-colored tongue there on the cover I don't own yet.

- Doxa

As someone whose next bought copy of HD will indeed be my 17th, I take offense to this comment!!!! hot smiley

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 19, 2023 14:48

Doxa
GasLightStreet
Doxa

- Doxa

America is a huge place. Europe is even bigger.

But America used to be their biggest market. Back in the old days almost 50% of their over-all sales happened there. Now it is something like 15%. Something has changed. Europe is the biggest market now - about 50% sales derive from there. Not that the absolute sales are that different there - more like Europeans tend to still buy albums while Americans not.

Their homeland UK seems to be a special case. For decades they did not that sell that well there, but now (BLUE&LONESOME, HACKNEY DIAMONDS) they do. Interestingly, they sell about same amount of copies there as in the whole US of America. It's actually incredible: since EXILE, only SOME GIRLS and TATTOO YOU were able to sell a bit more than BLUE&LONESOME in UK, most of the albums not even half of it.

- Doxa

That’s right. I’ve said elsewhere, I am sure, that the Stones have really gone through a renaissance in popularity in the U.K. 40 Lick was a rollicking success sales-wise, and post the 2012-present day happenings, their popularity is continually growing. The Stone seem to – finally, perhaps – be seen as a bit of an institution and there does seem to be a sort-of proud, patriotic love and admiration for them. They are, after all, a ‘London band’ at heart.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 19, 2023 14:48

Doxa - I like your Stones posts and talk but please end the political stuff. I come on here to talk about the Rolling Stones not Donald Trump and liberal and conservative. I get enough of that in my everyday life.

Date: December 19, 2023 14:54

Stoneage

I don't know that it's a HUGE concern. But as the album is selling well, that's positive reinforcement to a group that doesn't need to do this and motivation to put out the next.

Put another way, if this had failed massively and no one bought it or cared, does anyone think there'd be a follow-up?

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: December 19, 2023 14:55

Waiting for the vinyl version of the Live Edition!!!

Date: December 19, 2023 15:08

Doxa
Spud

Well, it looks like you guys loved them at first sight, but then, as they started to gather international interest, did forget them... Their first album sold nice 840 000 copies there, only EXILE being able to sell tiny more (875 000). Almost all of those albums from the 70s, 80s and 90s that sold millions in America, sold only about 150 000-200 000 a piece at home...

But yeah, the prodigal sons are welcomed back home lately... There is something romantic there. Home sweet home...

- Doxa

Maybe it's a case of build them up to knock them down... but if they keep getting back up, they finally get a bit of renewed respect.grinning smiley

Date: December 19, 2023 15:10

VoodooLounge13

Now that would make me cross ...winking smiley

I can't afford it !

Date: December 19, 2023 15:57

Spud
VoodooLounge13

Now that would make me cross ...winking smiley

I can't afford it !

Not too worry, that'll become available in the exclusive LIVE BOX SET covering live albums released in the new millenium, in translucent chartreuse vinyl.

Date: December 19, 2023 16:00

Ooooh ! ...

...can't wait grinning smiley

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: December 19, 2023 16:02

Impressive sales numbers!
And a great sounding live album! When was the last time we got official live recordings just barely 1.5 months after the show happened? This is so exciting!

Date: December 19, 2023 16:18

The sales numbers tracking, since the sales are so good for this day and age, is great, the fact that the album may be the UK's Christmas no 1 is fantastic, another frickin' miracle no one would have anticipated.
In fact, I recall the absolute certainty with which a number of posters on here predicted that after a week in the charts it would drop into oblivion, and have no impact outside of the circle of deluded old saps who frequent iorr. Not so!!
The live tracks, however much tweaked, are a great listen, the album is shaping into one of their classics - every time I play it, I find I have to play the whole thing through - and it's been in the UK charts for almost two months, and maybe heading back to the top spot.
A Christmas miracle ....!

Date: December 19, 2023 16:54

So, how many units has Hackney Diamonds shifted in the U.K. so far, then?

Date: December 19, 2023 17:00

MadMetaphoricalMax
The sales numbers tracking, since the sales are so good for this day and age, is great, the fact that the album may be the UK's Christmas no 1 is fantastic, another frickin' miracle no one would have anticipated.
In fact, I recall the absolute certainty with which a number of posters on here predicted that after a week in the charts it would drop into oblivion, and have no impact outside of the circle of deluded old saps who frequent iorr. Not so!!
The live tracks, however much tweaked, are a great listen, the album is shaping into one of their classics - every time I play it, I find I have to play the whole thing through - and it's been in the UK charts for almost two months, and maybe heading back to the top spot.

I'm not sure you could have found even one person that could have predicted this. You're right, it's nothing short of a Christmas miracle. The fact that in North America it's all but disappeared from the charts and in Europe you have a top ten hit (number one??? WTF?!) 2 months after it's release is startling.

One has to ask, "what's the difference, what went right in Europe and wrong in North America?"
BTW, how is it playing in South America, Asia & Australia by comparison?

Date: December 19, 2023 17:37

treaclefingers
MadMetaphoricalMax

I'm not sure you could have found even one person that could have predicted this. You're right, it's nothing short of a Christmas miracle. The fact that in North America it's all but disappeared from the charts and in Europe you have a top ten hit (number one??? WTF?!) 2 months after it's release is startling.

One has to ask, "what's the difference, what went right in Europe and wrong in North America?"
Like you, I'm not entirely sure. However, considering the Stones can still sell-out stadiums in the States, it's less-than-stellar performance sale-wise is certainly nothing to do with the group's popularity there. Could be to do with the demographic that purchases 'rock albums'? I'm not sure where I'm going with that, exactly, but the Stones' genre(s) caters to more of a niche market, perhaps. In the States, anyway. Pop, latin-pop, country, hip-hop, etc; they're all vying for sales in the States. I can't speak for mainland Europe, but here in the U.K., the market is probably narrower. In other words: 'rock acts' in general, have a better chance of charting more highly and selling well in the U.K.

Date: December 19, 2023 23:00

Big Al
treaclefingers
MadMetaphoricalMax

Like you, I'm not entirely sure. However, considering the Stones can still sell-out stadiums in the States, it's less-than-stellar performance sale-wise is certainly nothing to do with the group's popularity there. Could be to do with the demographic that purchases 'rock albums'? I'm not sure where I'm going with that, exactly, but the Stones' genre(s) caters to more of a niche market, perhaps. In the States, anyway. Pop, latin-pop, country, hip-hop, etc; they're all vying for sales in the States. I can't speak for mainland Europe, but here in the U.K., the market is probably narrower. In other words: 'rock acts' in general, have a better chance of charting more highly and selling well in the U.K.

I think someone pointed out earlier that until Blue & Lonesome, and since EXILE, Stones albums generally underperformed in the UK; in fact Blue and Lonesome outsold every Stones album but Tattoo You and Some Girls since Exile.

There's obviously an explanation, I just don't know what it is!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 19, 2023 23:09

Vera could resolve these problems in well under sixty minutes .......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: December 19, 2023 23:38

deardoctor
Doxa
treaclefingers
Doxa

- Doxa

- Doxa

Please!
Normally I aprecciate yours posts very much. Stones help us, to forget that bullshit around us for a short while.
Please no discussion about Trump or liberal europe and stuff like that.

By the way: the bonus live CD makes my month. Glad, they did lots of corrections and overdubs. So it´s so much fun to listen to this core-band

grinning smiley

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-19 23:38 by powerage78.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 20, 2023 01:19

Big Al
So, how many units has Hackney Diamonds shifted in the U.K. so far, then?

As of Dec. 14:

The Rolling Stones - Hackney Diamonds [total: 139,846, including 80,975 CDs, 42,812 vinyl, 1,310 Blu-rays, 129 cassettes, 6,688 downloads, 7,932 streaming]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5657585960616263646566...LastNext
Current Page: 61 of 96

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2120
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home