Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4748495051525354555657...LastNext
Current Page: 52 of 96
Hackney diamonds, Japan CD with bonus live tracks.
Posted by: Kuntaman ()
Date: December 3, 2023 13:33

Don't know if this has been mentioned before.

[www.cdjapan.co.jp]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-03 13:34 by Kuntaman.

Re: Hackney diamonds, Japan CD with bonus live tracks.
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 3, 2023 13:45

Kuntaman

mentioned before

Yes - [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] .

But it's currently sold out at CDJapan, [www.Amazon.co.jp] and [Tower.jp] .

[Store.Universal-Music.co.jp] says: "There's a limit to the number of products available. Sales will cease once the maximum number has been reached, but may be resold if additional quantities can be secured."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-03 14:05 by Irix.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: December 3, 2023 14:26

Still with diskunion
[diskunion.net]
But here you will be forced to pay local Japanese VAT of 10%, local Japanese post (~450 JPY) and proxy service fee (500 JPY), and maybe something extra to proxy company before shipment to your location. Thus, the price would be ~1300JPY higher comparing to cdjapan.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 3, 2023 14:37

Where does it say bonus LIVE track? I bet it’s simply Living in a Ghost Town again as the bonus track.

Rod

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: December 3, 2023 15:07

Yep! There are no bonus live trackS on it. It's just on the HD disc the same bonus track LIAGT.

Date: December 3, 2023 15:55

bitusa2012

Where does it say bonus LIVE track?

He probably meant a Japanese CD with live tracks as a bonus.

Re: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 4, 2023 20:22

peoplewitheyes
It's not 'my narrative', clearly it's an obvious (and fairly cynical) marketing ploy.

I am, however, asking the question sincerely about what it the attraction of buying multiple copies of the same thing?

As for the comparison with going to a concert, well, that provides you with two hours of music, a chance to see living legends, hang with your friends etc, so doesn't seem like a valid example.

Again, people can spend their money as they choose, I don't care, but I am interested in the impulse and wondered if anyone could articulate this desire.

I think I was pretty clear in my reply, some people are "collectors". I get that you're not but you should hopefully be able to understand that some people are collectors. The comparison I gave for buying expensive tickets wasn't so that you should be made to justify it...you don't have to.

Everyone has their own priorities and they don't necessarily line up with yours.

I like collecting AND going to the shows, but I'm less able to justify a super high ticket prices to myself, than an additional copy of Hackney Diamonds in the "blue vinyl".

Neither of us are wrong, it's just different priorities. You can feel cynical about the number of different versions of the album, but no one is being forced to buy.

You could be just as cynical about $2000 platinum tickets in the upper levels of BC Place Stadium. But why bother?

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: December 4, 2023 22:32

ironbelly
Still with diskunion
[diskunion.net]
But here you will be forced to pay local Japanese VAT of 10%, local Japanese post (~450 JPY) and proxy service fee (500 JPY), and maybe something extra to proxy company before shipment to your location. Thus, the price would be ~1300JPY higher comparing to cdjapan.

The listing for preorders was back at CDJapan and at Tower Japan earlier today. I pre ordered one with CDJapan.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 4, 2023 23:58

peoplewitheyes
Could someone explain why anyone would want to buy so many editions of the same album? I don't mean with this live cd, but people buying up to a dozen versions of the same original HD album. It's like a mania or an obsession and I just can't understand it. Can't these consumers see they're being played like a violin?

It makes them happy. They enjoy it. They like the differences.

I'm a plant freak. At one point I had 18 kinds of fruiting bananas, and 5 types of ornamental (unedible) banana plants.

Palms, gingers, hibiscus, elephant ears and loads of others.

To some people one banana or palm plant ("tree" - they're not actually trees) should be or is enough. But there are subtle and glaring differences for various reasons.

As a friend of mine said recently, it's like collecting Pokemons - gotta get them all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-05 00:04 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: December 5, 2023 06:36

That’s an interesting tidbit of information about yourself there GSL. Had no idea. How do bananas grow in LA? I assume rather well given the climate. Just never thought of LA for them. To

Date: December 5, 2023 06:40

liddas
Just listened to the Atmos version on apple music. Still haven't surrendered to this format, but I got to say that in the case of Diamonds, it wins over the normal stereo version: the instruments sound way more natural, the dynamics aren't squashed, almost natural, the voice is a little more buried in the mix. Only miss, bass is better, to my taste, in the stereo version.

C

My new region free BluRay 4K UHD will have this feature and I can’t wait to check it out!! Though it will be sometime before I have speakers for surround sound!!

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: December 5, 2023 11:38

Thanks GLS, collecting banana plants certainly sounds interesting, and to me certainly more understandable than purchasing all the variations that the suits at the record company choose to throw at fans.

Anyways, I guess I'll never understand it, so chalk it down to another mystery of modern life...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-05 14:55 by peoplewitheyes.

Date: December 5, 2023 16:47

VoodooLounge13
That’s an interesting tidbit of information about yourself there GSL. Had no idea. How do bananas grow in LA? I assume rather well given the climate. Just never thought of LA for them. To

Bananas grow excellently in Louisiana, at least the southern part. They grow better in New Orleans than anywhere else that doesn't have Mississippi River alluvial soil (that's what makes a creole tomato creole - and it's any kind of tomato [even though LSU made a GMO creole tomato] as well as any cucumber or zucchini, cantaloupe or watermelon, all ground dwelling fruiting plants in the berry family, which bananas and oranges are also in, but their flavor is not effected by the soil like a tomato).

It can get too hot for them to grow to maturity, though. I have a type of banana that matures at 25 feet, the "trunk", not the fronds, which means it can look more like 35 feet tall. It's a slow growing banana in general but when the daytime temps get above 95 and night time temps are in the low 80s they stop growing. The tallest ones I have this year have maybe made it to 12 feet.

Of course, Ronnie has been seen eating bananas during shows. That's the Grand Naine, Valery or Williams banana, all in the Cavendish banana family (named after William Cavendish, in England).

Date: December 5, 2023 18:07

GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13

Bananas grow excellently in Louisiana, at least the southern part. They grow better in New Orleans than anywhere else that doesn't have Mississippi River alluvial soil (that's what makes a creole tomato creole - and it's any kind of tomato [even though LSU made a GMO creole tomato] as well as any cucumber or zucchini, cantaloupe or watermelon, all ground dwelling fruiting plants in the berry family, which bananas and oranges are also in, but their flavor is not effected by the soil like a tomato).

It can get too hot for them to grow to maturity, though. I have a type of banana that matures at 25 feet, the "trunk", not the fronds, which means it can look more like 35 feet tall. It's a slow growing banana in general but when the daytime temps get above 95 and night time temps are in the low 80s they stop growing. The tallest ones I have this year have maybe made it to 12 feet.

Of course, Ronnie has been seen eating bananas during shows. That's the Grand Naine, Valery or Williams banana, all in the Cavendish banana family (named after William Cavendish, in England).

Thanks for sharing more info! As someone looking to be much more self-sufficient now that I have my own place and piece of land, I'm very curious/interested in what others do. Of course living where I do (in the Adirondacks of upstate NY), I do have some pretty big limitations in what I can/can't grow. And unfortunately, my older pup is allergic to Hazelnuts, of which I was going to plant a pair, but that won't be happening now. Do plan on doing apples, cherries, blueberries, raspberries, grapes, and a garden though!! Have thought about an indoor lemon tree, but not sure I'd eat enough to be worth it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-05 22:19 by VoodooLounge13.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 5, 2023 20:06

VoodooLounge13
... Adirondacks of upstate NY...
Sweet! I go there twice a year, my friend's cabin is right on a lake (Cranberry Lake) ... amazing views, hiking, boating, etc. I love it

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: December 6, 2023 07:27

GasLightStreet
peoplewitheyes
Could someone explain why anyone would want to buy so many editions of the same album? I don't mean with this live cd, but people buying up to a dozen versions of the same original HD album. It's like a mania or an obsession and I just can't understand it. Can't these consumers see they're being played like a violin?

I'm a plant freak. At one point I had 18 kinds of fruiting bananas, and 5 types of ornamental (unedible) banana plants.

To some people one banana or palm plant ("tree" - they're not actually trees) should be or is enough. But there are subtle and glaring differences for various reasons.

As a friend of mine said recently, it's like collecting Pokemons - gotta get them all.

as someone who was the right age in the mid to late 90's (when it was a really big deal for the kids) to be into pokemon its "gotta catch em' all"winking smiley

also ornamental bananas are a new thing to me thanks for that

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: December 6, 2023 07:40

VoodooLounge13
GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13

Thanks for sharing more info! As someone looking to be much more self-sufficient now that I have my own place and piece of land, I'm very curious/interested in what others do. Of course living where I do (in the Adirondacks of upstate NY), I do have some pretty big limitations in what I can/can't grow. And unfortunately, my older pup is allergic to Hazelnuts, of which I was going to plant a pair, but that won't be happening now. Do plan on doing apples, cherries, blueberries, raspberries, grapes, and a garden though!! Have thought about an indoor lemon tree, but not sure I'd eat enough to be worth it.

you could try a three sisters garden of squash, beans and corn

i finally succeeded at growing one this year after several years of attempting to

but where you are it was a traditional native farming method here in washington state it's much more difficult to get right

the climate and soil ain't quite right

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-06 07:42 by ProfessorWolf.

Date: December 6, 2023 11:10

Is there any effect on banana growth and taste induced by music?
Is it better to play the music of The Rolling Stones to banana via acoustic system or headphones?
Does it matter if you play to banana LIB, or EOMS, or DW, or ABB?
What happen if one will play to banana Sgt. Peppers instead of TSMR?
Does the color of vinyl increase the harvest?
Is there any influence of digital? I.e., mp3 vs. redbook CD vs. SACD vs. Atmos?
Are there preliminary results for HD?

Date: December 6, 2023 14:47

ironbelly
Is there any effect on banana growth and taste induced by music?
Is it better to play the music of The Rolling Stones to banana via acoustic system or headphones?
Does it matter if you play to banana LIB, or EOMS, or DW, or ABB?
What happen if one will play to banana Sgt. Peppers instead of TSMR?
Does the color of vinyl increase the harvest?
Is there any influence of digital? I.e., mp3 vs. redbook CD vs. SACD vs. Atmos?
Are there preliminary results for HD?

Dude, you bananas!

On your last question...I think the DR values point to Atmos being the best sounding, least compressed version of the album, with the vinyl not so far behind. The CD is crushed. Not sure about SACD but I would imagine it would be the same or similar to redbook. MP3 would have to be awful, but the HD downloads I've heard (not by listening mind you) are not that great either.

It's the one major complaint about the album, its "modern" over-compression.

Date: December 6, 2023 15:15

treaclefingers

Dude, you bananas!

On your last question...I think the DR values point to Atmos being the best sounding, least compressed version of the album, with the vinyl not so far behind. The CD is crushed. Not sure about SACD but I would imagine it would be the same or similar to redbook. MP3 would have to be awful, but the HD downloads I've heard (not by listening mind you) are not that great either.

It's the one major complaint about the album, its "modern" over-compression.
There is no SACD version for HD (as of today).
Digital downloads (in terms of loudness and compression) are about the same as CD. I believe, Irix posted a page or so ago a detailed comparison for different formats.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 6, 2023 17:28

Digital audio today is potentially great..

The problem is that the industry has not settled on a universal format or on any accepted standards for true High Fidelity reproduction.

It could be better than records...

...but it isn't because the industry is only interested in catering for the mass low and mid-fi markets, where brick wall compression provides a superficially more impressive sound.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-06 17:31 by Spud.

Date: December 6, 2023 19:03

Spud

The problem is that the industry has not settled on a universal format or on any accepted standards for true High Fidelity reproduction.

...but it isn't because the industry is only interested in catering for the mass low and mid-fi markets, where brick wall compression provides a superficially more impressive sound.

Startling that they can't just provide 2 options, certainly for downloading. It really wouldn't cost any more real money.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 6, 2023 19:37

treaclefingers
Spud

Startling that they can't just provide 2 options, certainly for downloading. It really wouldn't cost any more real money.

Not only it wouldn't cost them more money, they could even EARN more money by addressing the digital completist that are in us.

C

Date: December 6, 2023 21:10

liddas
treaclefingers
Spud

Not only it wouldn't cost them more money, they could even EARN more money by addressing the digital completist that are in us.

C

smileys with beer

Date: December 6, 2023 21:30

Hackney Diamonds (Live Edition), Japanese SHM-2CD (incl. Living In A Ghost Town) also available at [www.jpc.de] and [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.Amazon.fr] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-06 21:55 by Irix.

Date: December 7, 2023 03:59

LeonidP
VoodooLounge13
... Adirondacks of upstate NY...
Sweet! I go there twice a year, my friend's cabin is right on a lake (Cranberry Lake) ... amazing views, hiking, boating, etc. I love it

Very cool! Haven't made it over to that part yet! That's West, and I believe a little North of me. I'm 20 minutes South of Lake George in the Southern Adirondacks. An hour and a half to the High Peaks and 30 miles to the VT border. Absolutely LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the vast wilderness up here!!!

Date: December 7, 2023 04:03

So get this - treacle is gonna love this after my UDiscover Canada haul last year LOL..........

Today I received another eyes/tongue blue vinyl copy of HD along with another replacement German only litho print!!! That is the 2nd replacement set I've received, 3 total. And FNAC kept forgetting to send me the Fuschia one, so I have a duplicate of that as well. I also have received duplicates of the black vinyl, picture vinyl, 10" SSOH, and the CD Single of SSOH!!!!!

Hoping I can unload all these to re-coop a little of what I spent!! LOL But can ya believe!!! I also received a duplicate of the Stripped Paradiso vinyl. It's unbelievable!!

Date: December 7, 2023 05:56

VoodooLounge13
So get this - treacle is gonna love this after my UDiscover Canada haul last year LOL..........

Today I received another eyes/tongue blue vinyl copy of HD along with another replacement German only litho print!!! That is the 2nd replacement set I've received, 3 total. And FNAC kept forgetting to send me the Fuschia one, so I have a duplicate of that as well. I also have received duplicates of the black vinyl, picture vinyl, 10" SSOH, and the CD Single of SSOH!!!!!

Hoping I can unload all these to re-coop a little of what I spent!! LOL But can ya believe!!! I also received a duplicate of the Stripped Paradiso vinyl. It's unbelievable!!

OK, I've gone from being supportive to full blown jealousy!

Merry Christmas!

Date: December 7, 2023 06:37

ProfessorWolf
GasLightStreet
peoplewitheyes

as someone who was the right age in the mid to late 90's (when it was a really big deal for the kids) to be into pokemon its "gotta catch em' all"winking smiley

also ornamental bananas are a new thing to me thanks for that

LOL cool! Glad to share and expand things! Ronnie eating bananas... or inedible - it is Stones related!!!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 7, 2023 11:53

treaclefingers
Spud

thumbs up

That's right ...and it's what the industry should be doing with all commercially released music .
Think of it a bit like the old days of vinyl & cassette.

The vinyl was the quality format, with cassettes complimenting it for convenience & mobility.

I think it was CD that started the rot in the mid 80's.

Despite it's getting a bit better over the years, it was just not good enough and was accepted very prematurely as the mass market medium for quality music reproduction.

In the years that followed, folks simply forgot how good, how rewarding and enjoyable recorded music could and should sound.

Expectations had fallen, leaving the music industry then free to get away with whatever digital murder it chose to commit!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4748495051525354555657...LastNext
Current Page: 52 of 96

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1557
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home