Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4344454647484950515253...LastNext
Current Page: 48 of 96
Re: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 25, 2023 17:35

Big Al
Doxa
DGA35
georgelicks
HD is a complete success in the UK, it went up to #4 this week (from #8 last week), five weeks in the Top 10.

[www.officialcharts.com]

Albums

01 18,024 Madness - Theatre of the Absurd presents C'est La Vie [10,324 CDs, 5,507 vinyl, 574 cassettes, 1,233 downloads, 386 streaming]
02 14,372 Taylor Swift - 1989 (Taylor's Version)
03 10,762 Drake - For All the Dogs
04 7,500 The Rolling Stones - Hackney Diamonds (113,442 total)
05 7,195 Dolly Parton - Rockstar
06 7,043 Olivia Rodrigo - GUTS
07 6,411 Elton John - Diamonds
08 6,187 The Weeknd - The Highlights
09 6,037 The Beatles - The Beatles 1967–1970 (The Blue Album)
10 5,881 Taylor Swift - folklore

Thanks for the update! Any particular reason Elton and the Beatles are so high on the charts? Two albums that have been out for years.

Don't know about Elton, but in the case of the Beatles it was the new single causing some Beatles hype that seemingly helped the old hits being streamed a lot. A week ago they hold #2 and #3 positions (both Red and Blue albums), so the biggest momentum has gone.

- Doxa

Both the Red & Blue albums have been re-released this month, with many brand-new remixes, courtesy of Giles Martin; especially on the former.

thumbs up

- Doxa

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: November 25, 2023 23:55

Just listened to Get Close. I still wish we would hear the Steve that drummed on CH.
Those sessions were ACE!
HD is a great comeback but it lacks that STONES ELEMENT only they can come up with.

Still; Angry, Tell Me Straight, Live By The Sword, Mess It Up and Rolling Stone Blues are the BOLLOX.

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: November 26, 2023 11:57

Virgin Priest
I´ll try to describe a phenomenon.

Ok, I like Hackney Diamonds a lot. A bunch of very good songs. SSOH is stellar; LBTS is special.
HD is a great album. But my favorites will always be SF and TY.

A few weeks ago, I wrote here: HD is full of earworms!

It´s true; since the album came out, parts of the songs or even snippets have been ringing in my mind. So far my explanation was, that the choruses and riffs are extremely catchy.

But there´s more about it.

Last night around 02:00 a.m. I slowly woke up. Still half asleep I heard Mick singing “...in the weary streets of London...“.

Finally before waking up this morning, I had IN MY DREAM a discussion with someone about the drum playing on DRIVING ME TOO HARD!!

As a conclusion: there´s something magic about HD. This album is very good, nothing more. But on the other hand it has an enormous access to the deepest layers of my subconsious. Never had with ANY Stones album.

What´s HD´s secret??

Priest
I think the secret is the fun the spontaneity and the will to make this album. Music is emotion, it's feeling. It's unbelievable, the simplicity, but I play HD every day. I can't get enough of these 80-year-old men. I am already looking forward to the next album. With my age of 76, I can't wait too long.

Posted by: Virgin Priest ()
Date: November 26, 2023 13:05

Idorh
Virgin Priest
I´ll try to describe a phenomenon.

Ok, I like Hackney Diamonds a lot. A bunch of very good songs. SSOH is stellar; LBTS is special.
HD is a great album. But my favorites will always be SF and TY.

A few weeks ago, I wrote here: HD is full of earworms!

It´s true; since the album came out, parts of the songs or even snippets have been ringing in my mind. So far my explanation was, that the choruses and riffs are extremely catchy.

But there´s more about it.

Last night around 02:00 a.m. I slowly woke up. Still half asleep I heard Mick singing “...in the weary streets of London...“.

Finally before waking up this morning, I had IN MY DREAM a discussion with someone about the drum playing on DRIVING ME TOO HARD!!

As a conclusion: there´s something magic about HD. This album is very good, nothing more. But on the other hand it has an enormous access to the deepest layers of my subconsious. Never had with ANY Stones album.

What´s HD´s secret??

Priest
I think the secret is the fun the spontaneity and the will to make this album. Music is emotion, it's feeling. It's unbelievable, the simplicity, but I play HD every day. I can't get enough of these 80-year-old men. I am already looking forward to the next album. With my age of 76, I can't wait too long.

I bet, you´ll listen to more than one new Stones album!

Priest

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: November 28, 2023 03:40

For Steve lifting on the hi hat for each snare hit is a technique, for Charlie it was how he awalys played. I've tried lifting like that and it never sounds like Charlie, it just sounds like a missing hi hat hit. Steve is the same. When Charlie plays it, it feels (and may actually be) like the no hit space is longer than a 16th note and the 3 hi hat taps are slightly faster than 16th notes.

That feel is impossible to reproduce the same way.

But Steve is a great drummer.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 28, 2023 05:23

Markdog
For Steve lifting on the hi hat for each snare hit is a technique, for Charlie it was how he awalys played. I've tried lifting like that and it never sounds like Charlie, it just sounds like a missing hi hat hit. Steve is the same. When Charlie plays it, it feels (and may actually be) like the no hit space is longer than a 16th note and the 3 hi hat taps are slightly faster than 16th notes.

That feel is impossible to reproduce the same way.

But Steve is a great drummer.

It's nuance.

It's fantastic that Steve honored Charlie's style.

That's where it ends. Steve can't play Charlie's essence.

Look at it in the big picture: with exception to Ringo Starr, and even that is a bit much, no one else will ever have Charlie's essence.

We're comparing apples to plums.

Steve Jordan is an excellent drummer - just as Charley Drayton is. In regard to that time keeping down the middle stellar drumming - it's why Keith connected with them.

Nobody is Charlie.

Charlie wouldn't give a damn what any Stones fan thinks.

Posted by: rtr ()
Date: November 28, 2023 06:14

A key component of the Stones sound and feel was Charlie's approach and how he followed Keith and made it swing. That set the Stones apart from other "rock" bands where everyone followed the drummer. Steve Jordan acknowledged in an interview that he "drives the band", which is what drummers do in every other rock band and misses the point of what was so unique about Charlie's style and contribution to the Stones. They still sound great live, but it doesn't feel the same.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: November 28, 2023 12:01

"Hackney Diamonds" is decent - yet I am not among those who praise it as "the best release in more than forty years." Andrew Watt did a good job, it seems that he turned into the band's leader at times. I do not like "Angry",apart from the last minute. My favorites are "Live by the Sword" and "Mess it up". Wood's solo on "Whole wide world" rocks. The album overall is very tame - I am not too thrilled by the tamed Rolling Stones.Most lyrics reflect an extremely defensive position. One can sense how rigid the zeitgeist has become - the Stones try everything to avoid any kind of scandal. The sound on "Hackney Diamonds" is fresh - this is pleasant.

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: November 28, 2023 13:09

Isn't it today that we can expect the presale codes?

So far, nothing in my mail account.
Anybody?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 28, 2023 13:30

waterrats

"Enter details before 9am (Pacific Time) Tuesday 28th November to receive presale code. You'll receive presale code & ticket link by 10am (Pacific Time) Tuesday November 28th" - [UK-UMG.com] .

10am Pacific Time is 19:00 Central Europe.

Btw: wrong thread. winking smiley

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: November 28, 2023 14:32

Irix
waterrats

"Enter details before 9am (Pacific Time) Tuesday 28th November to receive presale code. You'll receive presale code & ticket link by 10am (Pacific Time) Tuesday November 28th" - [UK-UMG.com] .

10am Pacific Time is 19:00 Central Europe.

Btw: wrong thread. winking smiley

Ups! Sorry... THX, Irix!

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: November 28, 2023 22:43

windmelody
The album overall is very tame - I am not too thrilled by the tamed Rolling Stones.Most lyrics reflect an extremely defensive position. One can sense how rigid the zeitgeist has become - the Stones try everything to avoid any kind of scandal. The sound on "Hackney Diamonds" is fresh - this is pleasant.

Agree 100%. This is not the wild, hedonistic, dangerous, bluesy band I fell in love with. This is the remaining members of the Stones, in a contemporary musical soundscape, with a glossy pop sheen and defensive or needy-sounding lyrics. HD certainly has a fresh sound though, or as someone else described it, "wet". The album often verges on "MOR" (for those of you old enough to remember that musical category!)

Drew

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 29, 2023 08:46

MadMax
Anyone stating Depending On You is better than Streets Of Love or indeed Already Over Me is not getting what The Stones are about. Having said that it is a beautiful song but the lack of Charlie does a lot. Already over Me and SOL couldve been written by Gram Parsons and Marvin Gaye, larger than life ballads. As soon as Mess It Up and Live By The Sword kick in you know yer back in Stones Land. Quite a pity since I found Steve's drumming on Crosseyed Heart to be the best drumming (on record)regarding our boys since Voodoo Lounge.
On CH he emulates Charlie PERFECT! Dig him on TIC and MO too so it ain't an issue with Steve for me.
So proud of the fact that HD got to number 1 in my country and numerous others, it just ain't the same without Charlie.

To me, anyone lecturing me on what The Stones “are about” just don’t get The Stones. Those people are very presumptuous and a bit full of themselves.

To ME The Stones are simply about enjoyment. That Steve plays drums rather than Charlie, or Keith plays bass rather than Bill or Daryl, or Stevie Wonder plays keys rather than Matt or Chuck, or Jimmy Miller played drums rather than Charlie, matters not. What matters, and what I GET from The Stones is from what pops out of the speakers.

There can’t be many Stones songs you actually enjoy, or “get”, as they do and always have had a habit of mixing who plays what.

But I’m glad you “get” the Stones and I don’t. I just dig them.

And yes I much prefer Depending on You to Streets of Love, despite the former not having what you feel is the Stones “real” lineup.

Rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-29 08:48 by bitusa2012.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 29, 2023 15:16

bitusa2012
MadMax
Anyone stating Depending On You is better than Streets Of Love or indeed Already Over Me is not getting what The Stones are about. Having said that it is a beautiful song but the lack of Charlie does a lot. Already over Me and SOL couldve been written by Gram Parsons and Marvin Gaye, larger than life ballads. As soon as Mess It Up and Live By The Sword kick in you know yer back in Stones Land. Quite a pity since I found Steve's drumming on Crosseyed Heart to be the best drumming (on record)regarding our boys since Voodoo Lounge.
On CH he emulates Charlie PERFECT! Dig him on TIC and MO too so it ain't an issue with Steve for me.
So proud of the fact that HD got to number 1 in my country and numerous others, it just ain't the same without Charlie.

To me, anyone lecturing me on what The Stones “are about” just don’t get The Stones. Those people are very presumptuous and a bit full of themselves.

To ME The Stones are simply about enjoyment. That Steve plays drums rather than Charlie, or Keith plays bass rather than Bill or Daryl, or Stevie Wonder plays keys rather than Matt or Chuck, or Jimmy Miller played drums rather than Charlie, matters not. What matters, and what I GET from The Stones is from what pops out of the speakers.

There can’t be many Stones songs you actually enjoy, or “get”, as they do and always have had a habit of mixing who plays what.

And yes I much prefer Depending on You to Streets of Love, despite the former not having what you feel is the Stones “real” lineup.

Were it not for SSoH, Depending On You just might be the best cut on HD. To say, Already over Me and SOL couldve been written by Gram Parsons and Marvin Gaye, larger than life ballads, to me doesn't seem to have a fundamental understanding of the band.

Posted by: John&Trish ()
Date: November 30, 2023 01:42

At first we did not like it. However, we gave it many more shots and now we have come around. Love it. Many songs sound familiar but it is the Stones! We turn the volume way up and dance. Thank you Mick&Keith.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: November 30, 2023 10:20

[bravado.de]

Disc 1
1. Angry - The Rolling Stones
2. Get Close - The Rolling Stones
3. Depending On You - The Rolling Stones
4. Bite My Head Off - The Rolling Stones
5. Whole Wide World - The Rolling Stones
6. Dreamy Skies - The Rolling Stones
7. Mess It Up - The Rolling Stones
8. Live By the Sword - The Rolling Stones
9. Driving Me Too Hard - The Rolling Stones
10. Tell Me Straight - The Rolling Stones
11. Sweet Sounds of Heaven (Feat. Lady Gaga) - The Rolling Stones
12. Rolling Stone Blues - The Rolling Stones

Disc 2
1. Shattered (Live at Racket, NYC) - The Rolling Stones
2. Angry (Live at Racket, NYC) - The Rolling Stones
3. Whole Wide World (Live at Racket, NYC) - The Rolling Stones
4. Tumbling Dice (Live at Racket, NYC) - The Rolling Stones
5. Bite My Head Off (Live at Racket, NYC) - The Rolling Stones
6. Jumpin' Jack Flash (Live at Racket, NYC) - The Rolling Stones
7. Sweet Sounds of Heaven (Feat. Lady Gaga) [live at Racket, NYC] - The Rolling Stones

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-30 10:28 by Lien.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: November 30, 2023 10:29

bitusa2012
MadMax

Rod, it was certainly not my intention to lecture anyone about taste or how much one digs Stones or getting them.

I find Drew's description fitting; MOR-esque for sure! Listen to the drum fills on Get Close and how they are mixed with that MOR-sound of the mid-90's
(one hit-wonders Spin Doctors anyone?).
I very much prefer what Don Was achieved with that dry sound, capturing the Stones' magic (2 recent examples Don't Stop and One More Shot).
Additionaly I prefer the Steve on CH where he sounds amazing.
However it is interesting to hear the band with this new "wet" sound, but that dangerous, bluesy sound is indeed not as prominentv as before, at least for the moment.

Angry, Tell Me Straight, Live By The Sword, Mess It Up and Rolling Stone Blues are still the bollox. IMHO Pure Stones Magic.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 30, 2023 11:29

Lien
[bravado.de]

Disc 1
1. Angry - The Rolling Stones
2. Get Close - The Rolling Stones
3. Depending On You - The Rolling Stones
4. Bite My Head Off - The Rolling Stones
5. Whole Wide World - The Rolling Stones
6. Dreamy Skies - The Rolling Stones
7. Mess It Up - The Rolling Stones
8. Live By the Sword - The Rolling Stones
9. Driving Me Too Hard - The Rolling Stones
10. Tell Me Straight - The Rolling Stones
11. Sweet Sounds of Heaven (Feat. Lady Gaga) - The Rolling Stones
12. Rolling Stone Blues - The Rolling Stones

Disc 2
1. Shattered (Live at Racket, NYC) - The Rolling Stones
2. Angry (Live at Racket, NYC) - The Rolling Stones
3. Whole Wide World (Live at Racket, NYC) - The Rolling Stones
4. Tumbling Dice (Live at Racket, NYC) - The Rolling Stones
5. Bite My Head Off (Live at Racket, NYC) - The Rolling Stones
6. Jumpin' Jack Flash (Live at Racket, NYC) - The Rolling Stones
7. Sweet Sounds of Heaven (Feat. Lady Gaga) [live at Racket, NYC] - The Rolling Stones

Well that didn't take long ! TG for streaming ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: November 30, 2023 12:08

thumbs up

Posted by: Barkerboy2 ()
Date: November 30, 2023 13:16

[www.amazon.co.uk]

Amazon link to the Live Edition smiling smiley

Date: November 30, 2023 13:35

Maybe they'll release the Video Edition later on along with "The Stones: Still Rolling" documentary (similar to Totally Stripped) ?

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: November 30, 2023 14:12

Irix
Maybe they'll release the Video Edition later on along with "The Stones: Still Rolling" documentary (similar to Totally Stripped) ?
And Japanese SHM-CD with unique bonus track winking smiley.

Date: November 30, 2023 14:56

Personally I think they should have tacked the Purple Disco Machine Remix of Mess It Up and the regular and Alok Remixes of Living In A Ghost Town on the end of CD2. There must be more than enough room!

Posted by: jstones ()
Date: November 30, 2023 15:04

the official release of the Racket concert is great - does anybody know if it will only be released as a double CD or also on Vinyl - personally I prefer the vinyl !!!!

Date: November 30, 2023 15:50

The 2CD Hackney Diamonds (Live Edition) is currently removed from Bravado and Amazon. Release date was/is 15-Dec-2023.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: November 30, 2023 15:53

Irix
The 2CD Hackney Diamonds (Live Edition) is currently removed from Bravado and Amazon. Release date was/is 15-Dec-2023.
Still on French side of amazon
[www.amazon.fr]

Date: November 30, 2023 16:01

Irix

Still there on the UK site. I have pre-ordered it smiling smiley

Date: November 30, 2023 16:05

ironbelly

Still on French side of amazon

It's back on: [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.Amazon.co.jp] , [www.Amazon.es] , [www.Amazon.it] . Large picture of the 2CD - [Amazon.com] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-30 16:10 by Irix.

Date: November 30, 2023 16:10

Barkerboy2

Still there on the UK site.

It wasn't there for a short time, same on Bravado. But now also available on [www.jpc.de] and [Platenzaak.nl] .

"This special, limited edition 2CD version of 'Hackney Diamonds' includes 'Live at Racket NYC' featuring the 7 tracks the band performed at the intimate inaugural event in New York on October 19, 2023, with the first live performances of 'Angry', 'Bite My Head Off', 'Whole Wide World' and 'Sweet Sounds of Heaven' with Lady Gaga. The 24-page booklet contains photos of the performance by Kevin Mazur."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-30 17:10 by Irix.

Date: November 30, 2023 16:15

Hackney Diamonds 2CD Live Edition + Racket T-Shirt Bundle - [www.Bravado.de] .

Hackney Diamonds - Racket T-Shirt - [www.Bravado.de] .

Hackney Diamonds - Carnaby Street Pop Up Vinyl - [www.Bravado.de] - (€34.99, German shipping address only).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-30 16:25 by Irix.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4344454647484950515253...LastNext
Current Page: 48 of 96

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2632
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home