Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4243444546474849505152...LastNext
Current Page: 47 of 98
Re: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: November 22, 2023 13:46

GasLightStreet
MadMax
MonkeyMan2000
MadMax
Anyone stating Depending On You is better than Streets Of Love or indeed Already Over Me is not getting what The Stones are about. Having said that it is a beautiful song but the lack of Charlie does a lot. Already over Me and SOL couldve been written by Gram Parsons and Marvin Gaye, larger than life ballads. As soon as Mess It Up and Live By The Sword kick in you know yer back in Stones Land. Quite a pity since I found Steve's drumming on Crosseyed Heart to be the best drumming (on record)regarding our boys since Voodoo Lounge.
On CH he emulates Charlie PERFECT! Dig him on TIC and MO too so it ain't an issue with Steve for me.
So proud of the fact that HD got to number 1 in my country and numerous others, it just ain't the same without Charlie.

Huh? The first time I heard the Depending on You leak, I thought that it was one of the Charlie tracks! From the first fill to the hi hat, I don't think I've heard a better Charlie impression from Steve. On many other tunes like Driving Me Too Hard he's also very near Charlie's style while on Crosseyed Heart he plays Winos-style.

Come on mate, CH is full of those Charlie hi-hat syncops he started to do in the mid-70's (ADTL during the '78 tour and after being the most glorius example but there are 100s).

On HD the drums are more plain rock drums (indeed more Winos-like if you want).
Anyone not noticing this is just not paying attention to the drums. Anyway I love Steve's drumming just would have loved a more Crosseyed Heart approach to HD as well.

Why do you say Jordan does the Charlie hi-hat/snare thing and then say that it sounds like "plain rock drums"?

YOU are not paying attention.

Steve Jordan did not play one hi-hat and snare at the same time ever. He honored Charlie like you can’t believe and put his own swag into it in a way that only he could. I think about how hard Steve hits, and the guitars have to be stronger. The band sounds strong because they have to be right up with Steve. Steve set his cymbals all the way on the right, behind him, because Charlie had set up that way to get the cymbals out of the way so he could see Keith. And that’s a hard way to play; it’s like he was making it harder for himself. And he didn’t care because he wanted to honor Charlie and have an eyeline on Keith.
- Andrew Watt, September 2023

[timeisonourside.com]

Oh dear... Listen to Amnesia or Trouble for instance.
You know, just because I state something that actually is correct regarding a certain drum pattern and style it doesn't mean that you have to contradict me when you obviously do not understand. I wrote SYNCOPS pal. Check them out on the 2 aforementioned songs and you'll hopefully hear what I mean.

Hackney Diamonds BluRay Set Pictures
Posted by: dedospegajosos ()
Date: November 22, 2023 16:01

The book that comes with this set has some awesome band pictures, anybody knows where one could find high quality pics of this book? Thank you!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-22 16:02 by dedospegajosos.

Re: Hackney Diamonds BluRay Set Pictures
Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: November 22, 2023 18:43

just buy the boxset, as you say there are the pictures inside.

Re: Hackney Diamonds BluRay Set Pictures
Posted by: dedospegajosos ()
Date: November 22, 2023 20:54

rogerriffin
just buy the boxset, as you say there are the pictures inside.

Thanks! That was very helpful! I´m going to the store right now!

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: November 23, 2023 02:18

Some numbers after 4 weeks:

UK: 1-3-4-8 (105,942 total units - GOLD Certification)

US: 3-13-33-83 (169,000 total units)

France: 1-2-2-4 (67,010 total units - GOLD Certification)

Germany: 1-2-3-3 (100,000+ units - GOLD Certification)

Japan: 5-7-10-18 (55,322 units)

Austria: 1-2-1-2 (7,500+ units - GOLD Certification)

No more sales numbers available, it's very hard to guess sales numbers from other countries because the market is 90% streaming now, so, a rough guess close to 800k worldwide.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 23, 2023 05:58

BV

I don't understand how THIS thread isn't a (semi) permanent sticky! It needs to be a sticky through the 2024 tour!

How long did we go without a new LP?

Please keep HACKNEY DIAMONDS a sticky!

Date: November 23, 2023 06:14

GasLightStreet
BV

I don't understand how THIS thread isn't a (semi) permanent sticky! It needs to be a sticky through the 2024 tour!

I agree Mr Gaslightstreet!smileys with beer

Date: November 23, 2023 06:50

I love Tell Me Straight.

I love Get Close To Me.

I love Angry.

Etc.

I love the entire album but...

Driving Me Too Hard is the best song on the album (although Tell Me Straight is incredibly excellent). Nothing to do with the intro, it's the lyrics and the body of music behind the tenacity of the lyrics - and then the lift of "Look what you've done to me" etc...

It's absolutely magnificent.

It's not Mixed Emotions pt 2. "I like to take it slow" is not a comment towards, about or at Keith, who is the one that likes to take things slow(er) in the song aspect of The Rolling Stones a majority of the time.

Has anyone seen anything from Chuck about not being part of SSOH or the album? Maybe part of the reason for Mick's purpose of Andrew Watt being involved included removing one other too familiar aspect that isn't named Don Was.

That's some classic Stones right there: no more Don Was, no more Chuck Leavall.

Mick: Oh, well, you know, we were off doing whatever and it tightened up enough. He's actually much better at interpretation than being original.

Keith: Haaaggghhh, you know, I mean... you look out and... I guess he didn't get the call.

Ronnie: Oh my, yes, CHUCK! Great semblance, man, just a great guy. A true leader Chuck, indeed, yes. The Keeper of the set lists. I'm sure he'll be on the tour. But we were just full up. Even Darryl didn't make it, he was in the middle of a tour or something like that, but Chuck, after all the time we spent making the record, we did it in record time.

Date: November 23, 2023 07:00

GasLightStreet
I love Tell Me Straight.

I love Get Close To Me.

I love Angry.

Etc.

I love the entire album but...

Driving Me Too Hard is the best song on the album (although Tell Me Straight is incredibly excellent). Nothing to do with the intro, it's the lyrics and the body of music behind the tenacity of the lyrics - and then the lift of "Look what you've done to me" etc...

It's absolutely magnificent.

It's not Mixed Emotions pt 2. "I like to take it slow" is not a comment towards, about or at Keith, who is the one that likes to take things slow(er) in the song aspect of The Rolling Stones a majority of the time.

Has anyone seen anything from Chuck about not being part of SSOH or the album? Maybe part of the reason for Mick's purpose of Andrew Watt being involved included removing one other too familiar aspect that isn't named Don Was.

That's some classic Stones right there: no more Don Was, no more Chuck Leavall.

Mick: Oh, well, you know, we were off doing whatever and it tightened up enough. He's actually much better at interpretation than being original.

Keith: Haaaggghhh, you know, I mean... you look out and... I guess he didn't get the call.

Ronnie: Oh my, yes, CHUCK! Great semblance, man, just a great guy. A true leader Chuck, indeed, yes. The Keeper of the set lists. I'm sure he'll be on the tour. But we were just full up. Even Darryl didn't make it, he was in the middle of a tour or something like that, but Chuck, after all the time we spent making the record, we did it in record time.

One man's cuppa coffee is another man's tea...

I would love to have Don Was on board in the future as only he sorts out that typical dry Stones sound a la Miller and Kimsey but I am all for opening up new avenues even if it's late in the game.

Just grateful for a new album but still I would have loved Steve's Crosseyed Heart approach.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-23 07:00 by MadMax.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 23, 2023 09:21

MadMax
GasLightStreet
BV

I agree Mr Gaslightstreet!smileys with beer

Yes, it feels a bit like it was just the "flavor of the month" and that like the drop in sales we're moving on.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: November 23, 2023 10:38

georgelicks

No more sales numbers available, it's very hard to guess sales numbers from other countries because the market is 90% streaming now, so, a rough guess close to 800k worldwide.

A great success..! the only low point in the project are the US sales...but it’s an other world,and the tour is coming....!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 23, 2023 11:03

jp.M
georgelicks

A great success..! the only low point in the project are the US sales...but it’s an other world,and the tour is coming....!

A great success indeed (compared to about anyone if not named Taylor Swift), but at the same time we need to notice that reaching the sales of BLUE&LONESOME (2.5 million) do not seem to happen easily. Xmas might help, and probably the upcoming tour, but the sales are dragging down compared to the blues album at the time. Probably that just reflects the change in over-all sales in 7 years.

- Doxa

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: November 23, 2023 16:02

Doxa
jp.M
georgelicks

A great success indeed (compared to about anyone if not named Taylor Swift), but at the same time we need to notice that reaching the sales of BLUE&LONESOME (2.5 million) do not seem to happen easily. Xmas might help, and probably the upcoming tour, but the sales are dragging down compared to the blues album at the time. Probably that just reflects the change in over-all sales in 7 years.

- Doxa

Making only one video (Angry) to push the album imo has been a mistake.
Both Sweet Sound of Heaven and Mess It Up needed a cool video.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 23, 2023 17:33

HardRiffin
Making only one video (Angry) to push the album imo has been a mistake...

Maybe not, not sure they care as much as people on the message board.

Date: November 23, 2023 19:18

LeonidP
HardRiffin
Making only one video (Angry) to push the album imo has been a mistake...

Maybe not, not sure they care as much as people on the message board.

It's not about people on the message board...it's about millions of wiews.

Date: November 23, 2023 19:25

MadMax
GasLightStreet
MadMax
MonkeyMan2000
MadMax
Anyone stating Depending On You is better than Streets Of Love or indeed Already Over Me is not getting what The Stones are about. Having said that it is a beautiful song but the lack of Charlie does a lot. Already over Me and SOL couldve been written by Gram Parsons and Marvin Gaye, larger than life ballads. As soon as Mess It Up and Live By The Sword kick in you know yer back in Stones Land. Quite a pity since I found Steve's drumming on Crosseyed Heart to be the best drumming (on record)regarding our boys since Voodoo Lounge.
On CH he emulates Charlie PERFECT! Dig him on TIC and MO too so it ain't an issue with Steve for me.
So proud of the fact that HD got to number 1 in my country and numerous others, it just ain't the same without Charlie.

Huh? The first time I heard the Depending on You leak, I thought that it was one of the Charlie tracks! From the first fill to the hi hat, I don't think I've heard a better Charlie impression from Steve. On many other tunes like Driving Me Too Hard he's also very near Charlie's style while on Crosseyed Heart he plays Winos-style.

Come on mate, CH is full of those Charlie hi-hat syncops he started to do in the mid-70's (ADTL during the '78 tour and after being the most glorius example but there are 100s).

On HD the drums are more plain rock drums (indeed more Winos-like if you want).
Anyone not noticing this is just not paying attention to the drums. Anyway I love Steve's drumming just would have loved a more Crosseyed Heart approach to HD as well.

Why do you say Jordan does the Charlie hi-hat/snare thing and then say that it sounds like "plain rock drums"?

YOU are not paying attention.

Steve Jordan did not play one hi-hat and snare at the same time ever. He honored Charlie like you can’t believe and put his own swag into it in a way that only he could. I think about how hard Steve hits, and the guitars have to be stronger. The band sounds strong because they have to be right up with Steve. Steve set his cymbals all the way on the right, behind him, because Charlie had set up that way to get the cymbals out of the way so he could see Keith. And that’s a hard way to play; it’s like he was making it harder for himself. And he didn’t care because he wanted to honor Charlie and have an eyeline on Keith.
- Andrew Watt, September 2023

[timeisonourside.com]

Oh dear... Listen to Amnesia or Trouble for instance.
You know, just because I state something that actually is correct regarding a certain drum pattern and style it doesn't mean that you have to contradict me when you obviously do not understand. I wrote SYNCOPS pal. Check them out on the 2 aforementioned songs and you'll hopefully hear what I mean.

Oh, you're getting at the time shift Charlie has always done and Steve doesn't.

That's what you meant by "plain rock drums", nothing to do with the hi-hat/snare hits.

I think the "plain rock drums" blinded me to your intention of syncopations between the two drummers.

When the Stones played Jumpin' Jack Flash in the Superdome in 2019 Charlie did this flat out jaw dropping shift that really caught me by surprise - it sounded like the song stopped, yet shifted, like tectonic plates, it was absolutely jarring, yet... somehow Keith shifted with it, Ronnie, well, he's like water anyway, and Darryl didn't alter anything, it was the two time keepers throwing a boulder into the glass cubbard, and the song kept going anyway but it felt like the air got sucked out of the Superdome like a flash of lightning. It was flat out bizarre.

Of course, it fit in perfectly in New Orleans given all the different cadences that have happened around here.

The only other thing I can think of in comparison to the things Charlie did over the years is how John Bonham stretched time in Black Dog.

Date: November 23, 2023 22:07

HardRiffin
Doxa
jp.M
georgelicks

- Doxa

Well, hard to tell how much videos actually help the sales nowadays. The youtube views do not matter much, and how much seeing a cool video inspire people to buy the album is an open question. They had two videos for BLUE&LONESOME, right? - but it was the physical sales that made the album such an extraordinary success at the time.

But yeah, I also find it odd that they didn't accompany the two other singles with some kind of 'cool' video (like footage with Lady Gaga) They - their record company - know something (we do not) about the practical value of videos these days?

Anyway, they are coming with a documentary and who knows what else to keep the album still in news. Taking the upcoming tour named after it, probably they have a long term plan for the album instead of trying to maximise quickly its sales during a couple of weeks (as seems to be the case for catalogue artists).

Just guessing here and wondering the rationale.

- Doxa

Date: November 23, 2023 23:26

Doxa
HardRiffin
Doxa
jp.M
georgelicks

- Doxa

Well, hard to tell how much videos actually help the sales nowadays. The youtube views do not matter much, and how much seeing a cool video inspire people to buy the album is an open question. They had two videos for BLUE&LONESOME, right? - but it was the physical sales that made the album such an extraordinary success at the time.

But yeah, I also find it odd that they didn't accompany the two other singles with some kind of 'cool' video (like footage with Lady Gaga) They - their record company - know something (we do not) about the practical value of videos these days?

Anyway, they are coming with a documentary and who knows what else to keep the album still in news. Taking the upcoming tour named after it, probably they have a long term plan for the album instead of trying to maximise quickly its sales during a couple of weeks (as seems to be the case for catalogue artists).

Just guessing here and wondering the rationale.

- Doxa

thumbs up

Posted by: Jalfstra ()
Date: November 24, 2023 09:32

Making video's cost a lot of money. And they do not affect sales that much anymore. So it's more or less wasted money. A simple lyric video is far more effective.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: November 24, 2023 18:15

Honestly... but what do you care about sales!
It doesn't matter to me at all, if I like an album, I might even be the only one to have bought it and I'd be proud of it.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: November 25, 2023 00:15

HD is a complete success in the UK, it went up to #4 this week (from #8 last week), five weeks in the Top 10.

[www.officialcharts.com]

Albums

01 18,024 Madness - Theatre of the Absurd presents C'est La Vie [10,324 CDs, 5,507 vinyl, 574 cassettes, 1,233 downloads, 386 streaming]
02 14,372 Taylor Swift - 1989 (Taylor's Version)
03 10,762 Drake - For All the Dogs
04 7,500 The Rolling Stones - Hackney Diamonds (113,442 total)
05 7,195 Dolly Parton - Rockstar
06 7,043 Olivia Rodrigo - GUTS
07 6,411 Elton John - Diamonds
08 6,187 The Weeknd - The Highlights
09 6,037 The Beatles - The Beatles 1967–1970 (The Blue Album)
10 5,881 Taylor Swift - folklore

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 25, 2023 00:30

georgelicks
HD is a complete success in the UK, it went up to #4 this week (from #8 last week), five weeks in the Top 10.

[www.officialcharts.com]

Albums

01 18,024 Madness - Theatre of the Absurd presents C'est La Vie [10,324 CDs, 5,507 vinyl, 574 cassettes, 1,233 downloads, 386 streaming]

Thanks for the update! Any particular reason Elton and the Beatles are so high on the charts? Two albums that have been out for years.

Date: November 25, 2023 06:12

Testify
Honestly... but what do you care about sales!
It doesn't matter to me at all, if I like an album, I might even be the only one to have bought it and I'd be proud of it.

It kind of dictates if a band or artist can continue to exist.

Charting isn't what it was but sales are still sales and they matter.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: November 25, 2023 10:58

georgelicks

[www.officialcharts.com]

Albums

..very surprising and rare for the Stones’ albums since the seventies..HD had made the job...!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 25, 2023 11:20

Sales are so low these days that it hardly means anything though, 1700 copies between 4 and 10th spot !

Glad to see HD is back as a sticky after being demoted twice already in a week or so.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: November 25, 2023 11:21

DGA35
georgelicks

[www.officialcharts.com]

Albums

Thanks for the update! Any particular reason Elton and the Beatles are so high on the charts? Two albums that have been out for years.

Don't know about Elton, but in the case of the Beatles it was the new single causing some Beatles hype that seemingly helped the old hits being streamed a lot. A week ago they hold #2 and #3 positions (both Red and Blue albums), so the biggest momentum has gone.

- Doxa

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 25, 2023 11:48

After 5 solid weeks of playing I’m going to say that I think:

Live by the Sword
Driving me too Hard
Tell me Straight
Sweet Sounds of Heaven
Rolling Stone Blues

is as good a 5 track run on any album that The Stones have EVER delivered.

Not once in those 5 tracks do I think “ I wish they had…” or “why does this go like…” or “I can’t understand…”. These 5 tracks are just perfect.

I’m really still quite astounded at how great an album this is, but those 5 tracks on the run? Wow.

Yet my favourite track on the record is on side one, Depending on You!

Rod

Posted by: Virgin Priest ()
Date: November 25, 2023 13:49

I´ll try to describe a phenomenon.

Ok, I like Hackney Diamonds a lot. A bunch of very good songs. SSOH is stellar; LBTS is special.
HD is a great album. But my favorites will always be SF and TY.

A few weeks ago, I wrote here: HD is full of earworms!

It´s true; since the album came out, parts of the songs or even snippets have been ringing in my mind. So far my explanation was, that the choruses and riffs are extremely catchy.

But there´s more about it.

Last night around 02:00 a.m. I slowly woke up. Still half asleep I heard Mick singing “...in the weary streets of London...“.

Finally before waking up this morning, I had IN MY DREAM a discussion with someone about the drum playing on DRIVING ME TOO HARD!!

As a conclusion: there´s something magic about HD. This album is very good, nothing more. But on the other hand it has an enormous access to the deepest layers of my subconsious. Never had with ANY Stones album.

What´s HD´s secret??

Priest

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: November 25, 2023 15:01

It changes every day, but today HD feels like the Stones equivalent to Pet Sounds.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 25, 2023 15:56

Doxa
DGA35
georgelicks

[www.officialcharts.com]

Albums

Don't know about Elton, but in the case of the Beatles it was the new single causing some Beatles hype that seemingly helped the old hits being streamed a lot. A week ago they hold #2 and #3 positions (both Red and Blue albums), so the biggest momentum has gone.

- Doxa

Both the Red & Blue albums have been re-released this month, with many brand-new remixes, courtesy of Giles Martin; especially on the former.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4243444546474849505152...LastNext
Current Page: 47 of 98

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2048
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home