Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3940414243444546474849...LastNext
Current Page: 44 of 96
Re: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: November 14, 2023 22:09

..according to the "United world chart " 532.000 equivalent sales..surely more,it's just the beginning.....

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 14, 2023 23:28

drwatts
When the riff for Get Close comes in, it's worth the admission price alone.

Agreed...the dead air beat and then the riff. Just fantastic.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: November 15, 2023 00:09

The intro of get close and mess it up are pure rock essence

Posted by: drwatts ()
Date: November 15, 2023 01:04

Don't let's forget the intro to Driving Me Too Hard. The human riff in full effect!!!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 15, 2023 04:24

TeaAtThree
GasLightStreet,
I would assume Through the Lonely Nights didn't end up on the TY re-release because it was already on Rarities. "Think I'm Going Mad," however, is a lost treasure also missing from TY and Rarities.

T@3

Mannish Boy - LOVE YOU LIVE, SUCKING, RARITIES.

If I Was A Dancer - SUCKING, RARITIES.

There was room. Did we need the 1981 Beast Of Burden? Or the remix of Miss You?

Besides, RARITIES is out of print. Another missed opportunity by the Stones to give something within context.

Date: November 15, 2023 04:25

ProfessorWolf
TeaAtThree
GasLightStreet,
I would assume Through the Lonely Nights didn't end up on the TY re-release because it was already on Rarities. "Think I'm Going Mad," however, is a lost treasure also missing from TY and Rarities.

T@3

but was released in the one of the singles boxsets

Oh right, something that 99% of the fan base probably didn't get. I didn't.

Date: November 15, 2023 04:36

MadMetaphoricalMax
That is a fantastic information resource of how they melded together on this great, great record. I've been listening to it for a month now, via reviewer stream and then the. CD as soon a it was out, and like a lot of listeners on here, I find it gets better, stronger, deeper, tastier, with each serving.
I was a bit down on Mess It Up at first, but there's not been a song that hasn't come to the top and been going round my head all day when I'm out and about. Which suggests that rarest of creatures - an album full of keepers, no floaters. What a pleasure to be alive to hear this new Stones album, even if the rest of the world appears to be churning towards some ghastly oblivion.
Even my wife, who is very much a casual Stones listener, said to me while it was blasting away on the CD player in our little galley kitchen, 'what is this. It's really good!'
It's a shower, a grower and a keeper! Sorry to be so positive....

It really is that good. It's astounding, really, that they've made such a great album, as Mick puts it, for The Rolling Stones in 2023. I think it will hold up. And that he was, at least publicly, adamant about the tracks being great, not just good.

I've not been this interested in a new Stones album since UNDERCOVER, and I was a few months into being 13 at the time, having grown up on BEGGARS, BLEED, GET YER..., HOT ROCKS 1 and 2 and BIG HITS from my father's collection.

My first ever record purchase was TATTOO YOU and FOR THOSE ABOUT TO ROCK on the same day (as I recall). So getting UNDERCOVER was a big deal. At that age, having known about their past just enough, I was set aside with how vibrant U was, even not knowing just how modern it was at the time, but later found out, and it's aged fantastically.

To me, anyway.

HACKNEY has a similar intensity that U has minus the modernism.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: November 15, 2023 07:57

MadMetaphoricalMax
Even my wife, who is very much a casual Stones listener, said to me while it was blasting away on the CD player in our little galley kitchen, 'what is this. It's really good!

grinning smiley My wife is not exactly fond of HD and finds it simply boring. She's particularly annoyed by Angry. ...

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 15, 2023 14:22

GasLightStreet
MadMetaphoricalMax
That is a fantastic information resource of how they melded together on this great, great record. I've been listening to it for a month now, via reviewer stream and then the. CD as soon a it was out, and like a lot of listeners on here, I find it gets better, stronger, deeper, tastier, with each serving.
I was a bit down on Mess It Up at first, but there's not been a song that hasn't come to the top and been going round my head all day when I'm out and about. Which suggests that rarest of creatures - an album full of keepers, no floaters. What a pleasure to be alive to hear this new Stones album, even if the rest of the world appears to be churning towards some ghastly oblivion.
Even my wife, who is very much a casual Stones listener, said to me while it was blasting away on the CD player in our little galley kitchen, 'what is this. It's really good!'
It's a shower, a grower and a keeper! Sorry to be so positive....

It really is that good. It's astounding, really, that they've made such a great album, as Mick puts it, for The Rolling Stones in 2023. I think it will hold up. And that he was, at least publicly, adamant about the tracks being great, not just good.

I've not been this interested in a new Stones album since UNDERCOVER, and I was a few months into being 13 at the time, having grown up on BEGGARS, BLEED, GET YER..., HOT ROCKS 1 and 2 and BIG HITS from my father's collection.

My first ever record purchase was TATTOO YOU and FOR THOSE ABOUT TO ROCK on the same day (as I recall). So getting UNDERCOVER was a big deal. At that age, having known about their past just enough, I was set aside with how vibrant U was, even not knowing just how modern it was at the time, but later found out, and it's aged fantastically.

To me, anyway.

HACKNEY has a similar intensity that U has minus the modernism.

Agree, GLS

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: November 15, 2023 14:47

GasLightStreet
ProfessorWolf
TeaAtThree
GasLightStreet,

T@3

but was released in the one of the singles boxsets

Oh right, something that 99% of the fan base probably didn't get. I didn't.

neither did i

i got it thru the library and copied it

i was just pointing out that it did get re-released

albeit on what is now like a $400 box set

i'm all for it getting re-released in a more accessible and affordable way without the noticeable glitch

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-15 14:49 by ProfessorWolf.

Date: November 15, 2023 16:14

That single box set (28 songs sampler) is on Spotify, though, with Think I'm Going Mad.

[open.spotify.com]

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: November 15, 2023 18:12

It still doesn't bore me to play the album Hackney Diamonds over and over again. You can't force it to be good or bad. It's just the feeling. I still can't believe an album like this has come out now in 2023. In 1973, friends in a discotheek said to me, the Stones are old, time for younger bands and new music. And look is what these 80-year-olds managed to do. It continues to be enjoyed.

Date: November 15, 2023 18:55

interview with mick in india

the times of india

and here's the text from the interview that wanderingspirit66 posted in the mick in india thread

wanderingspirit66
On Jagger's second coming to Kolkata, a Rolling Stone finds a 'more developed' city

Priyanka Dasgupta / TNN / Updated: Nov 15, 2023, 05:08

The name's Jagger, Mick Jagger. The Rolling Stones frontman, back in Kolkata after a decade, talks exclusively to TOI about Kali Puja, pandal-hopping and how the city has changed... and how, at 80, he sounds like he's still in his prime in the band's new album, 'Hackney Diamonds'.

You recently posted a photograph with Martin Scorsese, who is a huge Sat-yajit Ray admirer. Have you watched any Ray film?

Yes, I've watched his films when I was young. I was a film buff in my 20s. It is that time when one is trying to absorb everything. I watched early Roman Polanski films. Ray was the most impressive.

How's Kolkata changed?

I was in Kolkata some 10-12 years ago. I was travelling in India then and I spent a week here. There is more pollution now. I don't want to be negative. Every city suffers from this problem. Visually, Kolkata looks much more developed. I am sure the heartbeat of the city remains the same.

You shared photos of 'Kali Pujo' on social media. Where did you visit?

I went to Kumartuli. I knew Diwali was coming up when I was planning to come. But I didn't actually know that these two festivals coincided. I reached Kumartuli and saw several pujas. We also went to the small idol workshops.

Does the iconic Rolling Stones tongue have a Kali connect?

Yes. My brother was an early traveller to India. He would give me some books to read. In 1969, I was looking for an image that was an eye-grabbing thing and I saw this image of a disembodied tongue of Kali. I thought it would be an inspiration. Then, designer John Pasche created this modernistic version of the tongue logo.

You finally saw the idol that inspired the iconic logo on Sunday!

Yes. It was a coincidence, since I didn't know that I would be seeing it when I came to Kolkata. I have one or two friends here who told me where to go. It was very noisy, of course. There were so many fireworks. I have never been to India on Diwali.

The lights were fantastic - some were very modernistic, some old-fashioned. It was a great mixture.

The Rolling Stones logo appeared on FC Barcelona jerseys for the El Clasico match. Does Rolling Stones have such plans with BCCI or any IPL teams?

When I came, I thought England might be in one of the semi-finals. But I have been in India for a couple of weeks and I knew that was not going to happen immediately. We don't have any relationship with any IPL team. I watch the IPL.

Is there any possibility of this jersey branding?

Who knows?

In 'Bite My Head Off', you collaborated with Paul McCartney. Both of you are so energetic and different from many older artistes who often change their performance style with age...

Yes, you could become more introspective, romantic, easy to listen to and do more ballads. But I never felt the need to do that. I like to sing ballads. There are three ballads in this album. Ever since 1964, we have been doing ballads. But I always like to do high-energy things.

How do you counter ageism?

By making an album that doesn't make you sound like you are 80!

How challenging is it to release an album that appeals to the generation of true-blue rock 'n' and roll fans, as well as to millennials?

You don't want to disappoint all those who have liked you for a long time. By using a producer like Andrew Watt and the way we mixed it, the soundscape seems like the record was made six months ago. If you place this record next to one done 20-30 years ago, the band is still the same. But the sonic landscape is totally different.

Some of the songs are traditional. You have a rock song like 'Angry'. It is a song that Rolling Stones fans can relate to. The Rolling Stones has never been a band that has been stuck in one groove.

We have always done ballads, rock songs and blues. I don't think people are surprised if we do something slightly different. They don't want a whole album of 'different-different', though personally, I wouldn't mind that.

How was your experience of recording 'Sound of Heaven' with Lady Gaga?

I didn't plan it as a duet with her. We were both working in the same studio in Los Angeles. We had worked earlier before on stage and knew each other. She came into the room to see what was going on. She started to sing with me. It was all very impromptu. Then I gave her the iPad with the lyrics on. She started singing the lyrics. We did that tape. We came back the next day and did some more. It was great fun working with her. She is a very capable singer. I didn't know she would sing that song like that. It is not easy for her. There are some very high notes. But she did an amazing job.

Have you heard any artiste from Kolkata?

I admire guitarist Debashish Bhattacharya a lot. I listened to him some years ago. I like his album, 'Live in Calcutta'.

utm_source=contentofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-15 19:21 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: November 15, 2023 19:29

Anyone stating Depending On You is better than Streets Of Love or indeed Already Over Me is not getting what The Stones are about. Having said that it is a beautiful song but the lack of Charlie does a lot. Already over Me and SOL couldve been written by Gram Parsons and Marvin Gaye, larger than life ballads. As soon as Mess It Up and Live By The Sword kick in you know yer back in Stones Land. Quite a pity since I found Steve's drumming on Crosseyed Heart to be the best drumming (on record)regarding our boys since Voodoo Lounge.
On CH he emulates Charlie PERFECT! Dig him on TIC and MO too so it ain't an issue with Steve for me.
So proud of the fact that HD got to number 1 in my country and numerous others, it just ain't the same without Charlie.

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: November 15, 2023 20:04

MadMax
Anyone stating Depending On You is better than Streets Of Love or indeed Already Over Me is not getting what The Stones are about.

lol. For me SOL is one of the worst Stones songs since Indian Girl. I like Depending on you very much. I agree with you that the latter is not an archetypical Stones song (and neither is SOL in my opinion), but it's good and honestly think it's the best song on HD.

The way you put this, makes it appear as a fact, which is not the case. It's just your opinion.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 15, 2023 22:11

jackflash27
MadMax
Anyone stating Depending On You is better than Streets Of Love or indeed Already Over Me is not getting what The Stones are about.

lol. For me SOL is one of the worst Stones songs since Indian Girl. I like Depending on you very much. I agree with you that the latter is not an archetypical Stones song (and neither is SOL in my opinion), but it's good and honestly think it's the best song on HD.

The way you put this, makes it appear as a fact, which is not the case. It's just your opinion.

Not to mention, I didn't even see that as an argument anywhere, and I've read most of the comments, if not all ... and furthermore, Depending On You blows away both those tracks, and I'm a fan of Already Over Me (and Indian Girl smiling smiley ) - not so much a fan of SOL. Still don't see the point in even comparing those, except to get response, which now he has 2!

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: November 16, 2023 04:06

Enjoyed the Times of India Q&A with Jagger, thanks. Nice to see some different questions.

Date: November 16, 2023 05:52

DandelionPowderman
That single box set (28 songs sampler) is on Spotify, though, with Think I'm Going Mad.

[open.spotify.com]

Oh.

Spotify.

I went through some serious shit after Hurricane Ida. Getting rid of Spotify once my wifi/internet came back was the first thing I got rid of. Mostly because I found out what Spotify pays per stream for artists.

I realise that there are other sites out there, like YouTube, that pay essentially equal, which is barely anything at all. I've since found out that pay per stream is different in EU etc than NA.

2 years plus since Ida I'm still without Spotify. I get that people think, "Oh, $11 a month" or whatever it is, probably less, for AppleMusic etc but the thing is I spent 3 months researching how to reduce my phone bill and got it down to $25 a month for unlimited plus hotspot.

I suppose if I had a life partner I wouldn't care. But she died 6 years ago and life goes on and, bizarrely, I don't listen to music enough to justify having any subscription, free or for $10.99/15 a month.

Recently I've have the free 3 month iTunes/AppleMusic deal.

It's been a riot. But I've ordered whatever via Amazon so free digital copy there once the Apple thing expires I have what I ordered via whatever.

Here's what I've been heavily pondered by:

If I were to buy ONE album a month via Amazon... isn't that basically the same financial equivalent of paying for Apple (etc) a month?

It's probably much better.

A new Stones album, like HACKNEY, I can buy one time, get the free digital copy, and listen to the CD anytime I want over and over and over etc.

What, that doesn't equivalate to streaming, huh.

Maybe CDs should be $100 and vinyl $200 per copy?

I dunno.

Why is $.99 or $1.29 download a song ok? Access? Phone, tablet - that doesn't matter, it's a cloud. Right?

Subscription payment is strictly lending.

Owning is something else.

Date: November 16, 2023 07:43

Subscription payment is strictly lending.

Owning is something else.

bingo!

exactly my feelings on the whole matter

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: November 16, 2023 10:26

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-16 10:49 by Bastion.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: November 16, 2023 10:29

MadMax
Anyone stating Depending On You is better than Streets Of Love or indeed Already Over Me is not getting what The Stones are about. Having said that it is a beautiful song but the lack of Charlie does a lot. Already over Me and SOL couldve been written by Gram Parsons and Marvin Gaye, larger than life ballads. As soon as Mess It Up and Live By The Sword kick in you know yer back in Stones Land. Quite a pity since I found Steve's drumming on Crosseyed Heart to be the best drumming (on record)regarding our boys since Voodoo Lounge.
On CH he emulates Charlie PERFECT! Dig him on TIC and MO too so it ain't an issue with Steve for me.
So proud of the fact that HD got to number 1 in my country and numerous others, it just ain't the same without Charlie.

Huh? The first time I heard the Depending on You leak, I thought that it was one of the Charlie tracks! From the first fill to the hi hat, I don't think I've heard a better Charlie impression from Steve. On many other tunes like Driving Me Too Hard he's also very near Charlie's style while on Crosseyed Heart he plays Winos-style.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: November 16, 2023 11:17

MonkeyMan2000
MadMax

Huh? The first time I heard the Depending on You leak, I thought that it was one of the Charlie tracks! From the first fill to the hi hat, I don't think I've heard a better Charlie impression from Steve. On many other tunes like Driving Me Too Hard he's also very near Charlie's style while on Crosseyed Heart he plays Winos-style.

Absolutely.

Posted by: RiffKichards ()
Date: November 16, 2023 12:37

MonkeyMan2000

I fully agree, Steve Jordan's playing is very near to Charlie's playing on HD and it is a key point for the success of HD. It seems that Mick has spent time with Steve. It was worth the effort. The result is wonderful, amazing.

HD is a very great album IMO. Time will tell but, now and for me, HD belongs to the (rather long) list of my favorite Stones album (just my taste).

Date: November 16, 2023 12:37

Unfortunately, I cannot find the article again. But Mick said he was with Steve and that Mick played piano and guitar and spent hours with Steve to get that typical Stones beat on the drums. Let's face it on the WINOs with Keith, Steve's drum beat was pretty monotonous, almost every song the same. I have to admit that on HD Steve drums great.

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: November 16, 2023 14:56

One of the key reasons Hackney Diamonds is such a satisfying listen is that Jagger has re-embraced the idea of crafting an album. At the time of A Bigger Bang he was saying things like 'no-one listens to a whole album any more'.He had lost interest in sequencing and so the last three albums were shapeless. By contrast, Hackney Diamonds has been crafted to make two coherent sides of an LP. Presumably Mick saw the upturn in vinyl sales and this changed his mind.

With that in my mind, I had a look at A Bigger Bang to see if I could edit it to produce a similarly tight listen-through experience. Some will protest but here's my single LP version of ABB:

SIDE ONE
ROUGH JUSTICE
LET ME DOWN SLOW
RAIN FALL DOWN
BACK OF MY HAND
LOOK WHAT THE CAT DRAGGED IN

SIDE TWO
STREETS OF LOVE
OH NO, NOT YOU AGAIN
BIGGEST MISTAKE
SHE SAW ME COMING
LAUGH I NEARLY DIED

Still not as good as Hackney Diamonds but a solid, no skips, LP

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 16, 2023 15:16

bakersfield
One of the key reasons Hackney Diamonds is such a satisfying listen is that Jagger has re-embraced the idea of crafting an album. At the time of A Bigger Bang he was saying things like 'no-one listens to a whole album any more'.He had lost interest in sequencing and so the last three albums were shapeless. By contrast, Hackney Diamonds has been crafted to make two coherent sides of an LP. Presumably Mick saw the upturn in vinyl sales and this changed his mind.

With that in my mind, I had a look at A Bigger Bang to see if I could edit it to produce a similarly tight listen-through experience. Some will protest but here's my single LP version of ABB:

SIDE ONE
ROUGH JUSTICE
LET ME DOWN SLOW
RAIN FALL DOWN
BACK OF MY HAND
LOOK WHAT THE CAT DRAGGED IN

SIDE TWO
STREETS OF LOVE
OH NO, NOT YOU AGAIN
BIGGEST MISTAKE
SHE SAW ME COMING
LAUGH I NEARLY DIED

Still not as good as Hackney Diamonds but a solid, no skips, LP

Like a lot of us, I've been pounding my fists on the table in the same way, so good on you.

I might not have selected all the same songs, for instance Dangerous Beauty I think is a key track and highlight of the album, and Under The Radar should also be on there, as well as This Place Is Empty (come on, one Keith track is magic!).

Your "Biggest Mistake" (pardon the pun) was not that track, though I'd probably lose that, but Streets of Love (though I guess we're S.O.L. on that as it was the lead single, and number on in Italy!), and Look What The Cat Dragged In (RS's should not be aping INXS!).

Posted by: dedospegajosos ()
Date: November 16, 2023 16:03

Is Keith playing in open G in most of HD?

Angry yes
Get Close yes
Depending yes
Bite My Head Off I guess
WWW no
Dreamy Skies almost positive
Mess It Up not sure
Live By The Sword No
Driving Me Too Hard yes
Tell Me Straight yes
Sweet Sounds No (I Think)
Rolling Stone No

Do you agree?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 16, 2023 16:05

I really like "Already Over Me", but not so much "Streets Of Love"

HD is MUCH better than ABB.

Date: November 16, 2023 16:09

I wonder if the Stones have any new material with Charlie Watts. It would be nice to do some songs with Bill together while we still can, just like with Love by the sword.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: November 16, 2023 16:59

dedospegajosos
Is Keith playing in open G in most of HD?

Angry yes
Get Close yes
Depending yes
Bite My Head Off I guess
WWW no
Dreamy Skies almost positive
Mess It Up not sure
Live By The Sword No
Driving Me Too Hard yes
Tell Me Straight yes
Sweet Sounds No (I Think)
Rolling Stone No

Do you agree?

Correct, except No on BMHO and No on Mess It Up.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3940414243444546474849...LastNext
Current Page: 44 of 96

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2243
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home