Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3637383940414243444546...LastNext
Current Page: 41 of 96
Re: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Posted by: walkingthedog ()
Date: November 11, 2023 09:31

How can it be the 66th annual awards when they started 64 years ago, in 1959, which means the 2024 award show would be the 64th annual (yet alone it wasn't concurrent in years - the first year there were two! - and 1960 was skipped! It hasn't truly been annual since 1962!)?

Because people don't understand what "inaugural" and "annual" means.

So dumb.[/quote]

If there were 2 in 1959, none in 1960 and otherwise every year, 2024 would be the 66th.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: November 11, 2023 12:32

dedospegajosos
Andrew Oldham era, Jimmy Miller era, Chris Kimsey era, Don Was era, Andrew Watt era?

Steve Lillywhite on Dirty Work but hardly an eragrinning smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 11, 2023 12:39

gotdablouse
Idorh
It's really amazing how Keith can still play rhythm guitar so well with his rheumatoid fingers. It's not just playing, Keith also did a lot of work on important at zake. He even went to the studio at night.

Further regarding Mick, Mick also worked very hard to ensure that the new drummer Steve put down more varied drumming. Because with the Winos it was a very monotonous irritating sound. With all this, the band delivered a fantastic album.

Agreed, I recently listened to Talk is Cheap and the production makes it sound like it's a solo album by a drummer. Generally speaking I don't really get the unconditional praise Jordan gets for his hard hitting drumming. I have no doubt he's very gifted given where he ended but I haven't heard it very often. Take WWW, he's hammering around as if it was a sport. Impressive but where's the art/style? Angry is a lot more interesting and that's probably due to the lengthy rehearsing Mick said he'd done with him in Jamaica'

As if it wasn't bad enough he found it appropriate to shoot of his mouth in Mojo in a manner that I don't recall ever seeing from a sideman or even a Stone. Uncalled for and inappropriate to say the least...Twenty five years ago he would likely have been sidelined like Chuck was for saying much "milder" stuff.

Yeah, the only thing I remember Mick saying about TALK IS CHEAP was "The drums are too loud" (well, also about the songs being similar to those Keith brings to him to finish).

At the time of Charlie's passing, Mick talked about how he had a deep and special connection with Charlie, something he had had not with any other drummer. Keith has talked about it a lot, but it was interesting to hear that from Mick. And it really makes sense. More of anything, Mick's a rhythm guy, and the drummer probably is the most important member in the band for him (and like Charlie once put it, he has used most of his professional life in watching Mick's bum). No wonder Mick worked a lot with Jordan to get his chops right for the Stones.

But in regard to the Winos, I have always wondered how on earth Keith felt comfortable with that type of drumming, being like an anti-thesis to whatever Charlie Watts is all about. He sounds like a wood-hewer there, having none of Charlie's fine-nuanced sublimity and groove. Probably that's why.. (Keith wanted to make a difference).

Anyway, what Jordan does in HACKNEY DIAMONDS works very well in that context. He is a great drummer, for sure. (But still, I have to admit, when I listen to "Mess It Up", I feel like, yeah, that's the real heartbeat of the Stones...)

- Doxa

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-11 13:16 by Doxa.

Date: November 11, 2023 13:54

keefriffhards
ProfessorWolf
i just got done reading thru about 10 pages of this thread so forgive me for bring this up here

but as it relates to keith playing solos on this record i'm pretty sure he plays at least a few of the fast one (not that i've decided which ones yet mind you) and he is under the right circumstances still very capable of playing fast

bitch brussels 2022 2:12 - 2:38

gimme shelter berlin 2:28 - 3:02

if he's able to play like that onstage then in the studio with the ability to try as many times as he likes for as long as he wants (as long as he's done before valentine's daywinking smiley) i'm sure he could play as well or likely better

My sentiments exactly, Keith receives a very negative biased rap on this board, they try to rewrite history and now it goes so far as surmise that Ronnie plays the best/ fast guitar parts on the new album without it being a fact.
Last year Keith really shined on tour and Ronnie to be honest struggled, i get the impression a lot of regular posters, you know the resident trolls, discredit Keith where possible and it's continued through these past 10 pages of this thread.
I find it confusing as Stones fans to constantly take credit away from Keith while pouring praise towards Mick and Ronnie. It's fascinating to be honest, thanks for the clips, when you are actually at the shows the power of Keith still hits you hard when he's in the right mood, he's still inspirational even with those arthritic fingers and I'm sure he Kicked ass on the new album. although the way it's produced sound wise it's difficult to tell who plays what.

If one is not to be able distinguish Keith and Ronnie's way of playing guitar from each other (both have a very idiosyncratic style), I don't know what kind of "fact", beyond one's ears, is needed to prove that it is Mick Jagger, not Keith Richards, who does the lead vocals on, say, "Angry".

Furthermore, like always this is a dick contest for you. If Mick or Ronnie shines, and that is recognized by people, for you that is nothing but putting Keith down. In your world there is only one star that is allowed to shine. Mick and Ronnie are your enemies - the guilty ones taking the spotlight away from Keith - and your purpose here is to tell us how awful those two guys are - something you do in order to "defend" Keith Richards - like he would need any that kind of bullshit to offend his band mates. Keith once said, "I shine when the band shines". I assume, you never got that?

Like I told you before, but you never listen: The Rolling Stones is not The Winos in where there is only one solo star shining. You are a fanatic Keith fan, not a Stones fan. Be once - to use your favourite term - honest and admit it. It would make life easier both for you and for us.

- Doxa

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-11 14:25 by Doxa.

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: November 11, 2023 16:01

I really have to agree with Doxa on this, it's a band a regular group The Rolling Stones. And it is true that Keith has said many a time the magic is there when he and Mick are on the same page and both feel like it. It doesn't matter if one plays more guitar or whatever. They worked very hard and joyfully as a complete group on this album HD. I find it a bit scary this hysterical love for Keith on a Rolling Stones forum.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 11, 2023 16:40

GasLightStreet
Silver Dagger
LeonidP
GasLightStreet
... Great vocals from Mick. Where has this Mick been for the past how many years?? ...

Mick's vocals have been nothing short of stellar in recent years, check out SuperHeavy, Eazy Sleazey, and even Blue & Lonesome.

Bite Your Head Off even sounds a bit like Eazy Sleazey.

I meant in strict regard to The Rolling Stones.

I loved Eazy Sleazy. It's easily in his Top 5 best solo tunes. His vocals are incredible.

SuperHeavy... nah. That was awful. BLUE AND LONESOME he did have some stellar moments.

I meant Mick's vocals on SuperHeavy, which are great! ... although I do think the album is also great, Mick's best non-Stones effort (yes, to me even better than Wandering Spirit).

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 11, 2023 17:34

Mess It Up gets a lot of airtime here on SR (the Swedish BBC...). Not on commercial stations though. It takes Jagger's unmistakable voice to recognize it's a Stones song though. But, as said, very radio-friendly.

Track By Track Personell on HD
Posted by: dedospegajosos ()
Date: November 10, 2023 18:13

I still don´t have my copy but I understand that on the booklet there is kind of general description of who plays what on each song... I miss the Voodoo or Bridges style, where you could read about it in detail under the lyrics...

Are Keith and Ronnie on every track? Does Mick play guitar on every track? Where is Keith on Live By The Sword and Mess It Up? On the left channel?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-10 18:15 by dedospegajosos.

Re: Track By Track Personell on HD
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 10, 2023 18:20

Check out the Track Talk posts on this forum.

Date: November 10, 2023 18:24

Koen

Thank you but it is not very specific about the core band..on Depending On You it does'nt say if Mick is on guitar, for example..

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: November 10, 2023 18:27

Very useful information on [www.timeisonourside.com]

Date: November 10, 2023 18:33

erikjjf
Very useful information on [www.timeisonourside.com]

I forgot about that page, thank you Erik!!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 10, 2023 18:43

No offocial detailed credits given anywhere for the three remaining Stones. Some stuff was pieced together based on online credits like Qobuz, Ronnie on bass on DMTH for instance.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: November 10, 2023 20:47

dedospegajosos
Koen

Thank you but it is not very specific about the core band..on Depending On You it does'nt say if Mick is on guitar, for example..

Mick is in the right channel on Depending On You.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 11, 2023 18:26

LeonidP
GasLightStreet
Silver Dagger
LeonidP
GasLightStreet
... Great vocals from Mick. Where has this Mick been for the past how many years?? ...

Mick's vocals have been nothing short of stellar in recent years, check out SuperHeavy, Eazy Sleazey, and even Blue & Lonesome.

I loved Eazy Sleazy. It's easily in his Top 5 best solo tunes. His vocals are incredible.

SuperHeavy... nah. That was awful. BLUE AND LONESOME he did have some stellar moments.

I meant Mick's vocals on SuperHeavy, which are great! ... although I do think the album is also great, Mick's best non-Stones effort (yes, to me even better than Wandering Spirit).

Agreed, Superheavy was an excellent album and Mick's vox were great. I wouldn't rate it ahead of Wandering Spirit but there was very little not to like on that album.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: November 11, 2023 18:41

Well. Saturday. This album is really talking to me. It´s like a small, small BAG of candy. When saturday comes...I let it all out...I remember my youth - I relate to how I try to cope now...Life is a rollercoaster. Thank you, for the music.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 11, 2023 21:55

Played about half of it in my local watering hole last night on the jukebox, listening to the whole thing again today, really growing on me.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: November 11, 2023 22:28

spinning it now at maximum volume, it aint no exile nor some girls, it's hackney diamonds and it's really good

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 12, 2023 00:22

Bjorn
Well. Saturday. This album is really talking to me. It´s like a small, small BAG of candy. When saturday comes...I let it all out...I remember my youth - I relate to how I try to cope now...Life is a rollercoaster. Thank you, for the music.

Well, it's Saturday night, and I just got paid
Fool about my money, don't try to save
My heart says go, go, have a time
'Cause it's Saturday night, and, baby, I feel fine
I'm gonna rock it up, I'm gonna rip it up
I'm gonna shake it up, gonna ball it up
I'm gonna lock it up, with Hackney Diamonds tonight!

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: November 12, 2023 01:04

Doxa
keefriffhards
ProfessorWolf
i just got done reading thru about 10 pages of this thread so forgive me for bring this up here

but as it relates to keith playing solos on this record i'm pretty sure he plays at least a few of the fast one (not that i've decided which ones yet mind you) and he is under the right circumstances still very capable of playing fast

if he's able to play like that onstage then in the studio with the ability to try as many times as he likes for as long as he wants (as long as he's done before valentine's daywinking smiley) i'm sure he could play as well or likely better

My sentiments exactly, Keith receives a very negative biased rap on this board, they try to rewrite history and now it goes so far as surmise that Ronnie plays the best/ fast guitar parts on the new album without it being a fact.
Last year Keith really shined on tour and Ronnie to be honest struggled, i get the impression a lot of regular posters, you know the resident trolls, discredit Keith where possible and it's continued through these past 10 pages of this thread.
I find it confusing as Stones fans to constantly take credit away from Keith while pouring praise towards Mick and Ronnie. It's fascinating to be honest, thanks for the clips, when you are actually at the shows the power of Keith still hits you hard when he's in the right mood, he's still inspirational even with those arthritic fingers and I'm sure he Kicked ass on the new album. although the way it's produced sound wise it's difficult to tell who plays what.

If one is not to be able distinguish Keith and Ronnie's way of playing guitar from each other (both have a very idiosyncratic style), I don't know what kind of "fact", beyond one's ears, is needed to prove that it is Mick Jagger, not Keith Richards, who does the lead vocals on, say, "Angry".

Furthermore, like always this is a dick contest for you. If Mick or Ronnie shines, and that is recognized by people, for you that is nothing but putting Keith down. In your world there is only one star that is allowed to shine. Mick and Ronnie are your enemies - the guilty ones taking the spotlight away from Keith - and your purpose here is to tell us how awful those two guys are - something you do in order to "defend" Keith Richards - like he would need any that kind of bullshit to offend his band mates. Keith once said, "I shine when the band shines". I assume, you never got that?

Like I told you before, but you never listen: The Rolling Stones is not The Winos in where there is only one solo star shining. You are a fanatic Keith fan, not a Stones fan. Be once - to use your favourite term - honest and admit it. It would make life easier both for you and for us.

- Doxa

Of course i admit Keith's limitations since 2003, he's a shadow of the performer he once was, Mick is still an incredible performer in comparison, but it's obvious Keith was a forse of nature back in the day, i celebrate the whole history of the Stones, i don't really understand your post and why you feel the need to constantly chime in against me, i can only suggest you try to encourage gruupthink, cancel out posters that don't agree with you.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 12, 2023 03:25

treaclefingers
LeonidP
GasLightStreet
Silver Dagger
LeonidP
GasLightStreet

Agreed, Superheavy was an excellent album and Mick's vox were great. I wouldn't rate it ahead of Wandering Spirit but there was very little not to like on that album.
thumbs up

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: November 12, 2023 04:26

maumau
spinning it now at maximum volume, it aint no exile nor some girls, it's hackney diamonds and it's really good

Yes! I loved it from the first listen and it’s only grown on me.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 12, 2023 06:08

keefriffhards
Doxa
keefriffhards
ProfessorWolf

- Doxa

Of course i admit Keith's limitations since 2003, he's a shadow of the performer he once was, Mick is still an incredible performer in comparison, but it's obvious Keith was a forse of nature back in the day, i celebrate the whole history of the Stones, i don't really understand your post and why you feel the need to constantly chime in against me, i can only suggest you try to encourage gruupthink, cancel out posters that don't agree with you.

Your reply to Doxa is totally OT - I can't remember any post here on IORR from anybody, in particular not from Doxa, that said anything negative about Keith's work on HD - in reality it's quite the opposite. What kind of drugs are you on?

However, I must admit that you're a master of portraying yourself as a victim!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-12 06:11 by retired_dog.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 12, 2023 08:11

walkingthedog
How can it be the 66th annual awards when they started 64 years ago, in 1959, which means the 2024 award show would be the 64th annual (yet alone it wasn't concurrent in years - the first year there were two! - and 1960 was skipped! It hasn't truly been annual since 1962!)?

Because people don't understand what "inaugural" and "annual" means.

So dumb.

If there were 2 in 1959, none in 1960 and otherwise every year, 2024 would be the 66th.

That doesn't mean annually, with 2 in 1959 and zero in 1960 not being "annual".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-12 08:17 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 12, 2023 08:47

keefriffhards
ProfessorWolf

How you can't tell Keith from Ronnie on HACKNEY DIAMONDS is a mystery. The way it's produced does not determine who plays what. The fact that it's obvious - extremely obvious - who plays what is somehow lost on you because of "the way it's produced"?

You've created a dialogue that isn't true: Stones fans don't "constantly take credit away from" Keith.

Keith has been magnificent at screwing up over the years. Lately, as in the last 10 years, sometimes he's hilariously aware of it. Otherwise, just as what happened in the 1970s and 1980s and there's a really good one from 8-14-1994 during Street Fighting Man, no matter how screwed up it gets they keep going and it's on to the next thing.

Another thing: it's not always Keith.

They've done a lot of shows. Mistakes happen. Mistakes happen with everyone. Charlie wasn't perfect. No one in The Rolling Stones has ever been perfect.

Just be grateful Keith never did anything as bad as Let's Work (the song by the same person that came up with Sympathy For The Devil and Brown Sugar somehow). Because if you were a Jagger defender like you are with Keith, you'd be in a for a very rough time.

No Rolling Stone needs a defender. There are enough people here that think DIRTY WORK is a credible album. Maybe it's the 13 year old in them that just can't let stupid shit go.

There's no accounting for taste.

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: November 12, 2023 10:35

After approx 100 listens, I still can't get enough of. One week I like a certain song and it sticks in my head, a week later another. Maybe not masterpieces, but they are fresh and bright and full of energy. I've mentioned it before, in my 60 years of being a Stones fan, this is the first studio album I like all the songs on. Surely it is unimaginable that Mick's voice can compete. with the 60s. The duo Mick and Keith bring magic when they work together and really feel like it. I have back problems, but with grass cutting my MP3 player on and I no longer feel the pain. I am grateful to the Stones for never stopping. Truly enjoying them in my old age. I turned 76 today, a nicer birthday present just can't be.

Date: November 12, 2023 12:16

keefriffhards
Doxa
keefriffhards
ProfessorWolf

- Doxa

Oh my... you really do not seem to understand what I and many else try to say. But that's alright - for you The Stones is Keith Richards and since are so obsessed with Keith, you cannot see the whole band in any other way. It is your personal projection of Keith (something that sounds a bit scary because you seem to confuse Keith's thinking with yours) against the rest of the whole world - and that battle happens in the delusional world of fancy, conspiracy theories and alternative facts. Yeah, the latter do not have much group thinking there, since it - thankfully - only exists in your fancy. In there Keith is always bashed and put down, and you are like Don Quixote bravely soldiering there to defend Keith. To praise Mick or Ronnie is in your world a terrible personal offense against your projected Keith Richards that asks action. No a critical word against those two - Ronnie or Mick - is allowed there, the freedom fighter of your fancy says (in more sober world, it is only your constant campaign-like attacks against those two that people are tired of, not a criticism)

About the alternative facts. To go back to your claim that "it goes so far as surmise that Ronnie plays the best/ fast guitar parts on the new album without it being a fact". That seems to indicate that you are actually impressed by Ronnie's playing in the album (who wouldn't?). But you want to confuse the fact by intentionally making it questionable that it is Ronnie. In your mind - maybe this is something you want to believe, and maybe you do - that it is actually Keith doing it - playing the 'fast' stuff out there. Jeez, like Keith's forte or guitar philosophy ever been being 'the fastest gun under the sun'. That sort of thinking, to be honest, sounds like some little boys playing with toys.

If you would pay attention into what Keith actually plays on the album, and not on what he does not or not being so jealous about Ronnie's parts, you would find that what he does is pretty remarkable, fantastic in places. No wonder Mick and Watt have praised how hard Keith worked for the album. For example, if you take his solos out - "Angry", "Driving Me Too Hard" and "Rolling Stone Blues" - all differing dramatically from each other. All damn effective, straight to the point, no bullshitting, showing his unique attitude and rich musical imagination. I would go so far that I think the fresh and novel solos of "Angry" and "Driving Me Too Hard" are among his most distinctive solos ever in their genius-like simplicity and effect. And this is 'just' solos - not that big thing in Keith's remarkable guitar playing. If you don't see that it could be that the projected Keith Richards of your fancy has not much to do with the greatness of real Keith Richards.

Isn't it funny that I have to 'defend' Keith here against the world's biggest Keith fanatic. I feel sorry if he has let you down.

- Doxa

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-12 12:51 by Doxa.

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: November 12, 2023 13:04

Why didn't they push the album with a new video? Mess It Up would have been perfect or Get Close.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-12 13:04 by HardRiffin.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 12, 2023 14:41

HardRiffin
Why didn't they push the album with a new video? Mess It Up would have been perfect or Get Close.

weird that Mess It Up hasn't even been released...Mick said it was the new single in interviews and even said the date was 10/17 3 days before the album was supposed to be released...it never happened.....infectious little number this Mess It Up!.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: November 12, 2023 16:28

Or Whole Wild World...smiling smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3637383940414243444546...LastNext
Current Page: 41 of 96

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2258
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home