Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2829303132333435363738...LastNext
Current Page: 33 of 96
Re: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 3, 2023 04:47

Thinking about this today...if you took off two of the best songs, let's say the last two, SSoH and RsB what would you rate the album?

Still a great album right?

4 stars maybe, 4.5? So how do you rate it with SSoH and RsB which are monuments on their own?

It's a hot album.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: November 3, 2023 07:21

The Rolling Stones had the best selling album in the world this week and it wasn’t even close.

[www.mediatraffic.de]

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: November 3, 2023 10:22

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-03 11:03 by keefriffhards.

Date: November 3, 2023 10:23

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-03 11:01 by keefriffhards.

Date: November 3, 2023 10:34

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-03 10:59 by keefriffhards.

Date: November 3, 2023 10:39

Sorry sent same post multiple times by mistake as it said bad gateway.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-03 11:04 by keefriffhards.

Date: November 3, 2023 10:56

matxil
keefriffhards
matxil
StonedRambler
Bjorn
And once again, I had to read that Thief in the night is a masterpiece...I need to go to Czechia, book a room and breathe some mountain air...

Also amazed by that, it's by far the weakest track on B2B for me.

Try playing along with it on an acoustic guitar to get the "feel" of it. It's rather simple, just three plain chords (although probably Dandelion can correct me here, maybe there are all kinds of diminished chords involved, I don't know about that). It's not a song with technical fireworks, but there's something about the "rhythm", the "flow", the "cadence" (or whatever the word is), the chord changes just a bit later than you normally would, the interchange between main and backing vocals (very well done in the live version posted earlier), indeed, similar to what he does in solo stuff like Illusion, where main and backing vocals do some kind of "weaving".
It's no rocker (Mick's voice is better for rockers than Keith's) but it's such a gentle, quite-off-the-beat trance-like thing, hardly a song, more a "mood".
Of course, all of the above could also be considered a negative thing for some people.

It's like explaining quantum physics to Monkeys. winking smiley

No, it isn't.
And there's no need to be insulting.

Sorry about that i didn't want to come across as insulting, it's just that you beautifully explained the science of the song, but alas i don't think you can change someone's mind about how you hear music with words.

I think that is a problem with music, you can get some prolific writers on iorr over the years analysing the Stones sound, painstakingly opening it up and studying it to see what makes it tick, but you can't, as our Keith said it's from the neck down.

When i played the new album i made the mistake of listening to it from my mind, studying its parts desperately trying to understand it. It didn't work, it wouldn't connect to me.
One night when my wife was out after a few too many drinks i blasted Hackney Diamonds at full volume, got out my air guitar out and it hit me, it clicked, this album is about fun and letting your hair down, paint the town red , and bless the Stones for still doing that for us at 80 years of age, getting the old to think they're young again.

I think that is what this album is about, sure it's sided towards Mick's Rock as opossed to Keith's Roll but it connects with most Stones fans and that is Mick, he doesn't like to take chances, that's why we get the warhorses at all live shows he gives the audience what they came for and that above all else is the reason for this band's 60 years of success

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 3, 2023 10:57

treaclefingers
Thinking about this today...if you took off two of the best songs, let's say the last two, SSoH and RsB what would you rate the album?

4 stars maybe, 4.5? So how do you rate it with SSoH and RsB which are monuments on their own?

It's a hot album.

I'm giving Hackney Diamonds are respectable 3.5 stars. It's not quite a 4; at least yet. 4 stars is Tattoo You territory, and it's not as good at that. With the two songs mentioned, I'd still rate it 3.5

Date: November 3, 2023 12:10

keefriffhards
matxil
keefriffhards
matxil
StonedRambler
Bjorn
And once again, I had to read that Thief in the night is a masterpiece...I need to go to Czechia, book a room and breathe some mountain air...

Also amazed by that, it's by far the weakest track on B2B for me.

Try playing along with it on an acoustic guitar to get the "feel" of it. It's rather simple, just three plain chords (although probably Dandelion can correct me here, maybe there are all kinds of diminished chords involved, I don't know about that). It's not a song with technical fireworks, but there's something about the "rhythm", the "flow", the "cadence" (or whatever the word is), the chord changes just a bit later than you normally would, the interchange between main and backing vocals (very well done in the live version posted earlier), indeed, similar to what he does in solo stuff like Illusion, where main and backing vocals do some kind of "weaving".
It's no rocker (Mick's voice is better for rockers than Keith's) but it's such a gentle, quite-off-the-beat trance-like thing, hardly a song, more a "mood".
Of course, all of the above could also be considered a negative thing for some people.

It's like explaining quantum physics to Monkeys. winking smiley

No, it isn't.
And there's no need to be insulting.

Sorry about that i didn't want to come across as insulting, it's just that you beautifully explained the science of the song, but alas i don't think you can change someone's mind about how you hear music with words.

I think that is a problem with music, you can get some prolific writers on iorr over the years analysing the Stones sound, painstakingly opening it up and studying it to see what makes it tick, but you can't, as our Keith said it's from the neck down.

When i played the new album i made the mistake of listening to it from my mind, studying its parts desperately trying to understand it. It didn't work, it wouldn't connect to me.
One night when my wife was out after a few too many drinks i blasted Hackney Diamonds at full volume, got out my air guitar out and it hit me, it clicked, this album is about fun and letting your hair down, paint the town red , and bless the Stones for still doing that for us at 80 years of age, getting the old to think they're young again.

I think that is what this album is about, sure it's sided towards Mick's Rock as opossed to Keith's Roll but it connects with most Stones fans and that is Mick, he doesn't like to take chances, that's why we get the warhorses at all live shows he gives the audience what they came for and that above all else is the reason for this band's 60 years of success

Looks like you "got" it now, Riffie! thumbs up

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: November 3, 2023 13:07

amg077
RobertJohnson
I once created my current order of released studio albums. 'Current' because the preferences can always change within certain limits. However, the numbers 26 and 25 will never get away from these places. Listed from the worst to the best album.

26. Their Satanic Majesties Request
25. Between the Buttons
24. Emotional Rescue
23. Aftermath
22. Dirty Work
21. Undercover of the Night
20. Tattoo You
19. December's Children
18. Black and Blue
17. Hackney Diamonds
16. Steel Wheels
15. Bridges to Babylon
14. Voodoo Lounge
13. England's Newest Hitmakers (US)/The Rolling Stones (EU)
12. The Rolling Stones No. 2 (EU)/ The Rolling Stones, Now! (US)
11. 12 x 5
10. Out of our Heads (EU)/Out of our Heads (US)
09. Blue & Lonesome
08. Some Girls
07. Goat's Head Soup
06. It's Only Rock'n Roll
05. A Bigger Bang
04. Let It Bleed
03. Beggar's Banquet
02. Sticky Fingers
01. Exile on Main Street

For me the post 1989 albums (not the absolute truth, just my opinion), from worst to best:

6. Steel Wheels
5. Bridges to Babylon
4.Voodoo Lounge
3. A Bigger Bang
2. Blue & Lonesome
1. Hackney Diamonds

Pretty much agree with this post-89 list......but it depends on which mood in. HD definitely number 1. B&L prob number 2. I would have agreed with ABB at 3 but last time I played it I thought it was too long (too much filler). And the last time I played B2B I was surprised y how much I liked it. VL is great, but has probably too many tracks too..... This is really difficult!!!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 3, 2023 13:36

Im on Sirius stations all day....gotta say when HD tunes come on I perk up....they sound fresh on the radio....especially in the car...they have a solid album here....best since Some Girls ladies and gentlemen.

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: November 3, 2023 13:46

James Kirk
The Rolling Stones had the best selling album in the world this week and it wasn’t even close.

[www.mediatraffic.de]

smileys with beer

Hackney Diamonds #1 worldwide
Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: November 2, 2023 19:10

For those who have an interest in statistics: As I see on Mediatraffic Global chart, "Hackney Diamonds" is #1 worldwide with 386.000 "equivalent sales" this week.

There are two new entries on Top 10. The Stones and Blink - 182 (#2, with 196.000 "equivalent sales").

Some decades ago, I couldn't imagine the Stones coming top in the Global Chart,
at the age of 80, by a new studio album...

Re: Hackney Diamonds #1 worldwide
Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: November 2, 2023 19:25

Is there even a chart these days considered to be "the" chart like Billboard was when records were king?

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Date: November 2, 2023 19:45

laertisflash
For those who have an interest in statistics: As I see on Mediatraffic Global chart, "Hackney Diamonds" is #1 worldwide with 386.000 "equivalent sales" this week.

There are two new entries on Top 10. The Stones and Blink - 182 (#2, with 196.000 "equivalent sales").

Some decades ago, I couldn't imagine the Stones coming top in the Global Chart,
at the age of 80, by a new studio album...

I think that 1989, Taylor's version is way over a million in the US alone this week...that should bash everything to the side pretty quickly. Good think the Stones released a week early. Can't imagine that was planned!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 3, 2023 11:13

stonesstein
Is there even a chart these days considered to be "the" chart like Billboard was when records were king?

Well, Billboard Hot 100 and Billboard 200 are still 'THE' charts for singles and albums respectively in the U.S.A., aren't they? Yes, there's all these 'Bubbling Under' and various others, but they are the main, industry-recognised charts.

Date: November 3, 2023 14:43

Big Al
treaclefingers

It's a hot album.

I'm giving Hackney Diamonds are respectable 3.5 stars. It's not quite a 4; at least yet. 4 stars is Tattoo You territory, and it's not as good at that. With the two songs mentioned, I'd still rate it 3.5

Well I know that not everyone will be in agreement...but respectfully, I do think that you're in the minority in this case.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: November 3, 2023 15:30

Here’s the Album Talk we all need! A few familiar - and knowledgeable - faces discussing it track by track. The superb IORR band leader, Bård Anderson and the delightful Gazza / Gary are front and centre! Enjoy.

Date: November 3, 2023 15:39

+ our Justin and Ian McPherson from timeisonourside.com. Good fun!

Nice to have a chat with such knowledgable Stones friends thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-03 16:11 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: November 3, 2023 16:41

Big Al
treaclefingers

It's a hot album.

Here is one example of ‘each to one’s own’.

Tattoo You, a firm fan favorite and your no.1 album among the Stones’ post-1980 releases, is one I can’t see the quality of.

I bought it when it came out. My instant reaction to it was, “This sounds like a revamp of the Stones’ early 70s material, Sticky Fingers and Exile era in particular.” And my initial instinct turned out to be right afterwards, more or less.

After the ambitious and innovative sound-making of Some Girls and Emotional Rescue, TY felt to me like regression to the past, the Stones going play-it-safe. A fair number of the songs are as if leftovers from the albums made 5-10 years ago were microwaved for reuse.

I know I’m in the minority of the Stones fan community, but after all these years, I still don’t like Tattoo You wholeheartedly. Rant over.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 3, 2023 17:20

In Germany, Hackney Diamonds is now #2 in the [OffizielleCharts.de] while Taylor Swift's 1989 album (Taylor's Version) is at #1.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: November 3, 2023 17:36

For me, it's also a 3.5 album. It's a lot of fun, but I do think that the songwriting is a bit by numbers.

ABB, B&L & BtB were all 4.0 albums for me. I would still rate them 4.0 today.

But to release a fresh, fun album at this moment in their career and at their age is pretty amazing.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: November 3, 2023 17:47

In related/unrelated thoughts...

I think it's interesting that in 2023 we have new Stones AND "new" Beatles. Spaced out by a few weeks, no less. smiling smiley I think about Keith's comments (included in '25 x 5' and elsewhere) about how the Stones and Beatles used to check in on each other's progress so as not to step on each other's new releases.

I wonder if that happened here as well cool smiley

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: November 3, 2023 18:12

Big Al
I haven’t contributed very much to the Hackney Diamonds discussion, as I don’t believe I have anything particularly unique to say. I will refrain from offering a full-on review, here, but would like to say that I do think Hackney Diamonds is a relatively strong release. It does seem to me that it’s Andrew Watt’s production, and the overall sound, that the detractors have issue with. I say this because, whilst one may not find the song-writing remarkable, I struggle to see how anyone can think these are ‘bad songs’ There’s tuneful, pleasing melodies throughout, and the record has a conciseness that, for me, only makes the likes of A Bigger Bang feel that much more bloated. I’m not too sure where I would place Hackney Diamonds in an overall album-ranking, but I would say it’s their best since Steel Wheels. Okay, actually, here’s how I would rank the albums from the 80’s to present:

1. Tattoo You
2. Undercover
3. Steel Wheels
4. Hackney Diamonds
5. Voodoo Lounge
6. Bridges to Babylon
7. Emotional Rescue
8. A Bigger Bang
9. Blue & Lonesome
10. Dirty Work

Interesting. I agree that HD is best album since 'Steel Wheels'. Best original album anyway, as I have B & L in there between SW and HD.

My list would be....

1. Tattoo You
2. Undercover
3. Emotional Rescue
4. Steel Wheels
5. Blue & Lonesome
6. Hackney Diamonds
7. Bridges to Babylon
8. A Bigger Bang
9. Dirty Work
10. Voodoo Lounge

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: November 3, 2023 19:36

I give HD a 3...........

Posted by: kid killowatt ()
Date: November 3, 2023 19:46

floodonthepage
Big Al
I haven’t contributed very much to the Hackney Diamonds discussion, as I don’t believe I have anything particularly unique to say. I will refrain from offering a full-on review, here, but would like to say that I do think Hackney Diamonds is a relatively strong release. It does seem to me that it’s Andrew Watt’s production, and the overall sound, that the detractors have issue with. I say this because, whilst one may not find the song-writing remarkable, I struggle to see how anyone can think these are ‘bad songs’ There’s tuneful, pleasing melodies throughout, and the record has a conciseness that, for me, only makes the likes of A Bigger Bang feel that much more bloated. I’m not too sure where I would place Hackney Diamonds in an overall album-ranking, but I would say it’s their best since Steel Wheels. Okay, actually, here’s how I would rank the albums from the 80’s to present:

1. Tattoo You
2. Undercover
3. Steel Wheels
4. Hackney Diamonds
5. Voodoo Lounge
6. Bridges to Babylon
7. Emotional Rescue
8. A Bigger Bang
9. Blue & Lonesome
10. Dirty Work

Interesting. I agree that HD is best album since 'Steel Wheels'. Best original album anyway, as I have B & L in there between SW and HD.

My list would be....

1. Tattoo You
2. Undercover
3. Emotional Rescue
4. Steel Wheels
5. Blue & Lonesome
6. Hackney Diamonds
7. Bridges to Babylon
8. A Bigger Bang
9. Dirty Work
10. Voodoo Lounge

My post 1980 list.....

1. Tattoo You
2. Dirty Work
3. Emotional Rescue
4. Hackney Diamonds
5. Voodoo Lounge
6. Steel Wheels
7. Undercover
8. Bridges to Babylon
9. Blue & Lonesome
10. A Bigger Bang

Posted by: voodoodrew ()
Date: November 3, 2023 20:42

1. Tattoo You
2. Emotional Rescue
3. Bridges to Babylon
4. Hackney Diamonds
5. Undercover
6. Voodoo Lounge
7. Blue & Lonesome
8. A Bigger Bang
9. Steel Wheels
10.Dirty Work

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: November 3, 2023 21:42

SomeTorontoGirl
Here’s the Album Talk we all need! A few familiar - and knowledgeable - faces discussing it track by track. The superb IORR band leader, Bård Anderson and the delightful Gazza / Gary are front and centre! Enjoy.

Interesting viewing, but why did the third guy refuse to turn on his camera?

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: November 4, 2023 01:40

Hackney Diamonds charts at #3 on the UK Chart on the second week with over 15,000 units and 87,989 untis total so far.

Albums

01 184,965 Taylor Swift - 1989 (Taylor's Version) [75,672 CDs, 61,791 vinyl, 1,460 cassettes, 3,892 downloads, 42,150 streaming]
02 17,520 Orchestral Manoeuvres In the Dark - Bauhaus Staircase
03 15,785 The Rolling Stones - Hackney Diamonds
04 9,832 Duran Duran - DANSE MACABRE
05 9,654 James Blunt - Who We Used To Be
06 7,942 Olivia Rodrigo - GUTS
07 6,730 CASISDEAD - Famous Last Words
08 6,599 The Weeknd - The Highlights
09 6,161 Drake - For All the Dogs
10 6,079 Alfie Boe - Open Arms - The Symphonic Songbook

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: November 4, 2023 02:46

Mess It Up debuts at #26 on the UK Radio Airplay Chart with 344 plays last week and 17.76 million audience impression.

They should push this song now with a video or remixes, the radio is already playing it without the oficial single status.

Angry reached #10 on the UK Radio Airplay chart and has over 6,500 plays so far, it is still in the Top 100 at #82 after 10 weeks.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2829303132333435363738...LastNext
Current Page: 33 of 96

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2229
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home