Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2425262728293031323334...LastNext
Current Page: 29 of 96
Re: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 31, 2023 14:33

Stoneage
Mess It Up has got radio time now. Maybe it's the third single? Anyway, the Lady Gaga soul number is still number one for me. I have noticed another thing though:
There is no obvious hit single on it. But by now it doesn't matter I guess. There are too few tours left to make it warhorse status anyway.

Unfortunately at this point I think the Rolling Stones are entirely in the wrong demographic to have a 'hit single'...look at the singles charts and see what their competition is.

Even Start Me Up didn't get to number one in the States. And Mixed Emotions, their last top 10 was 34 years ago. Who cares, they're making great music!

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 31, 2023 14:38

bitusa2012
My 60yo brother in law tells me today that he thinks Bite my Head Off is amazing but that SSoH is too mainstream. Mainstream??? I told him to listen again, and to the whole thing!!

Well, yes, SSOH is mainstream and so is Bite My Head Off. It's not necessarily a bad thing, unless you want to listen to some underground music. Luckily, there's plenty of that around too.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 31, 2023 14:46

I think WWW could have been a hit single. SSOH misses for me. Starts off OK, but by the end Gaga's vocal just takes over and ruins it for me. The 3 songs I think are misses are not improving with time thus far. Had it on repeated listen yday. Will see how it goes once I throw the album in the car on long road trips, but as good as the album is, I almost feel like there is something lacking with it. A bite? An edge? Rawness? Is it too shiny/polished? Charlie? Each time thru I just feel like there's something not there............

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 31, 2023 14:59

treaclefingers
Stoneage
Mess It Up has got radio time now. Maybe it's the third single? Anyway, the Lady Gaga soul number is still number one for me. I have noticed another thing though:
There is no obvious hit single on it. But by now it doesn't matter I guess. There are too few tours left to make it warhorse status anyway.

Unfortunately at this point I think the Rolling Stones are entirely in the wrong demographic to have a 'hit single'...look at the singles charts and see what their competition is.

Even Start Me Up didn't get to number one in the States. And Mixed Emotions, their last top 10 was 34 years ago. Who cares, they're making great music!

Correction! On this board, Charts matter when the Stones are number 1. Otherwise, it doesn't matter, even if some people don't like it (USA #3 spinning smiley sticking its tongue out).

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 31, 2023 15:07

Are charts really still a thing?

Date: October 31, 2023 15:44

Koen

for diehard fan, yes in UK when HD is number one. smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-31 15:51 by powerage78.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 31, 2023 15:45

Koen

Well, they are still in existence. So, yes. Just because streaming is the main format, it doesn’t make the chart any less relevant.

Date: October 31, 2023 16:15

Koen

Not for old people! Just their medical chart.

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: October 31, 2023 17:58

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 31, 2023 19:15

treaclefingers
Stoneage

Mixed Emotions was their last big single (in the US anyway) - because of what had happened (and no tour for a long time) it was an announcement that they were back and people were excited. After Start Me Up, they had 3 Top Ten singles - Undercover Of The Night (#9), Harlem Shuffle and Mixed Emotions (both #5). They did quite well chart wise in the UK, too (11, 13 and 36).

Only Living In A Ghost Town has had any impact as a single - #6 in the US, #61 in the UK (Love Is Strong and Like A Rolling Stone were in the UK Top 20).

Since 2012 (pre-HACKNEY DIAMONDS) they haven't gone away. 3 new singles, a blues album, the reissues with bonus tracks (and loads of singles that didn't chart) and, of course, the tours. Maybe if they'd taken a few breaks between tours and had 'gone away' ala 1989-90, 1994-95, 1997-99, 2003-03, 2005-07, there'd possibly be a bit more happening.

Not that #3 in the US is anything to toss off. Just like with BLUE AND LONESOME, HACKNEY debuted at Number 1 in several countries, including, probably the most important, the UK. That's pretty damn good.

For the Stones, it seems that singles have been and are now only some attention, seemingly nothing else. They know a (enter number here) percentage of the fan base will seek out the singles in whatever way. And of course they'll be featured in whatever promo things they do.

Maybe if Angry was edited and started out directly with the riffage it may've had a little more impact. But there hasn't been a HOLY CRAP IT'S THE STONES! single like Miss You or Start Me Up since.

I'll take a solid, good or great new album over a (#1 or Top 20) hit single any time, and HACKNEY DIAMONDS definitely delivers that, at least to my ears.

Date: October 31, 2023 19:27

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
Stoneage

Mixed Emotions was their last big single (in the US anyway) - because of what had happened (and no tour for a long time) it was an announcement that they were back and people were excited. After Start Me Up, they had 3 Top Ten singles - Undercover Of The Night (#9), Harlem Shuffle and Mixed Emotions (both #5). They did quite well chart wise in the UK, too (11, 13 and 36).

Only Living In A Ghost Town has had any impact as a single - #6 in the US, #61 in the UK (Love Is Strong and Like A Rolling Stone were in the UK Top 20).

To clarify, LIAGT was number 6 'Bubbling Under the Hot 100', or in other words, #106 on the main chart.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Not that anyone cares...but it sounded to me like a pretty high charting single at #6.

Re: Hackney Diamonds on charts?
Date: October 31, 2023 19:34

treaclefingers
DGA35
treaclefingers
DGA35
treaclefingers
DGA35
Bastion
DGA35
GasLightStreet
georgelicks
Blink-182 Reunion Album ‘One More Time’ Debuts at No. 1 on Billboard 200

WTF

I don't know anyone that likes that excuse of a band.

That's beyond.

So stupid.

I'm going to guess a ton of teens and 20 somethings!

The dumbest thing I’ve heard all day.

You're saying my quote is dumb?! They obviously cater to a younger demographic who would more likely buy/download music.

I'm thinking - hoping - he meant that Blink topped the charts, not your response. I was wondering something DG...have you got a copy of HD yet? I've yet to actually find one in stores/have one ship.

Haven't got a copy yet! When it came out I checked London Drugs and Walmart, nothing. I did notice LD had a vinyl copy of it.

WHOA what? I'm gonna go out and buy it. Just had my COVID shot...I'm starting to fade tho'.

How many copies? Don't tell me just one!

There was one copy Saturday.

My hopes are fading as fast as my body with my COVID shot...I'll give'r a try in the am.

OK, I saw it. $53. Screw that...I bought it off UDiscovermusic.ca for $39 with a 10% discount...I'll just wait for it to arrive.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 31, 2023 19:42

I think the main reason for this albums success is that Mick and Keith are getting on well and want to promote it as best they can to give it every chance.
Previous albums have just had an initial video made to promote the single and not much else, a few interviews with Keith expressing sour grapes like working with Mick the producer will end up looking like F*ckface not Babyface and telling the Dust Brothers to F*ck off.
Didn't exactly instill confidence in the album haha.

Pity the band were not featured in the videos of the new singles ( just old footage) i really think SSOH would have been a big hit with a great video to accompany it.

On the one hand the Stones could have a hit doing covers of well known nursery rhymes but it's all about promotion, in the past they were too busy on the road to take the time to promote albums and singles properly, this time it's different with Mick taking this year off from touring to rest and sort the album out, it's all good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-31 19:50 by keefriffhards.

Hackney Diamonds
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 31, 2023 20:36

ENTER FOR A CHANCE TO WIN A HACKNEY DIAMONDS PRIZE PACK

Prizes will include 1 Grand Prize Winner, 5 2nd Prize Winners, and 10 3rd Prize Winners.

Details > [therollingstonesshop.com]

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: October 31, 2023 21:03

rogerriffin

Congrats old Lions!!smileys with beer

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: October 31, 2023 21:16

Mail by Universal:

Hackney Diamonds’ has reached #1 in album charts across the world! Including the UK, Germany, France, Holland, Japan, Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, Norway, Switzerland, Belgium, Sweden, Mexico, Portugal, Greece, Denmark, Austria & Croatia. More still to be announced!

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: October 31, 2023 21:46

MAF
Mail by Universal:

Hackney Diamonds’ has reached #1 in album charts across the world! Including the UK, Germany, France, Holland, Japan, Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, Norway, Switzerland, Belgium, Sweden, Mexico, Portugal, Greece, Denmark, Austria & Croatia. More still to be announced!

thumbs up

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 31, 2023 22:39

Congratulations .......

But I wanna thank Theeee Rolling Stones for Hack ...... so good so alive

ROCKMAN

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 31, 2023 23:47

A very strong second week is expected in the US, Top 15, it seems that many pre-orders are being shipped just this week, a shame that all those copies couldn't be shipped the first week to get that #1.

On the other hand, the album will not collapse so quickly, as we can see Blink-182 will fall from #1 to who knows where...

[m.hitsdailydouble.com]

Posted by: downagain ()
Date: November 1, 2023 02:56

I heard my 10 year old son singing Mess it Up under his breath in the car the other day and then tonight, after trick or treating, it happened.

"Hey Google, play Mess it Up by The Rolling Stones."

A shed a single tear of joy.

With that said, I don't know how they market a dance number as a bunch of dudes who are grandpas in the eyes of the young, but it's a song worthy of dance floors and singalongs.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 1, 2023 04:29

It's so nice to not hear plinkity plink plink...

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: November 1, 2023 10:22

downagain
I heard my 10 year old son singing Mess it Up under his breath in the car the other day and then tonight, after trick or treating, it happened.

"Hey Google, play Mess it Up by The Rolling Stones."

A shed a single tear of joy.

With that said, I don't know how they market a dance number as a bunch of dudes who are grandpas in the eyes of the young, but it's a song worthy of dance floors and singalongs.

thumbs up

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: November 1, 2023 11:02

georgelicks
A very strong second week is expected in the US, Top 15, it seems that many pre-orders are being shipped just this week, a shame that all those copies couldn't be shipped the first week to get that #1.

On the other hand, the album will not collapse so quickly, as we can see Blink-182 will fall from #1 to who knows where...

[m.hitsdailydouble.com]

I thought HD was about no.3 in the USA or was that an estimated position? No.13 is a disappointment.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: November 1, 2023 11:14

It was #3 on the first week, that's the second week projection.

[www.billboard.com]

Date: November 1, 2023 11:17

#13 so.

Hackney Diamond vs A bigger bang
Posted by: pftw04 ()
Date: November 1, 2023 06:46

Which is better? Hackney Diamond or A bigger bang. I will provide my feedback afterwards.

Re: Hackney Diamond vs A bigger bang
Posted by: Spodlumt ()
Date: November 1, 2023 08:00

I will provide my feedback when I hear other people's opinions. As Homer Simpson told Bart: "never say anything until you are sure that most of the other people agree with you."

Posted by: opj ()
Date: November 1, 2023 08:42

It`s two very different Records by the same band. Both records have the same Stones feel, same mix of fast/slow tracks. I Love them both, A Bigger Bang is still a great album. Hackney Diamonds will over the years stand as One of Their Best albums.

Date: November 1, 2023 09:19

HD. No contest.

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: November 1, 2023 09:28

I’ve already listened to HD way more than a bigger bang

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2425262728293031323334...LastNext
Current Page: 29 of 96

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1799
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home