Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2223242526272829303132...LastNext
Current Page: 27 of 96
Re: Hackney Diamonds on charts?
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 30, 2023 11:40

laertisflash
It seems like the sales are really strong, globaly. Look at the whole picture, that's matters...

Honestly, I can't undestand the complaints about #3 on US chart. If I count correctly, in the entire Stones history we only have 9 studio albums reaching #1 there and the last one was "Tattoo You". On the other hand, "Tattoo You", "Some Girls" and other studio albums didn't reach #1 on UK chart. So what?

The most important thing is (and will be during the next weeks) the numbers of clear sales. Charts potitions have to do with local factors and casual factors too. "Emotional Rescue" reached #1 on UK chart, "Some Girls" didn't. But all of us know that "Some Girls" did stronger sales. Maybe match stronger.

Well, that's certainly true in the U.S., where Some Girls was a phenomenal success. In fact, I do wonder whether that's where the absolute bulk of that record's sales are from. Some Girls just didn't register in quite the same way in the U.K. It must've been relatively popular, though.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: October 30, 2023 11:45

The fact you have 80 year old men reaching the top 5 is astonishing. Every studio release of the band with the exception of Englands Newst Hitmakers, the first album has hit the top ten in USA

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: October 30, 2023 11:49

And I bet actual physical sales the stones hit number 1 in USA. It’s the streaming that kept them off number 1.

Date: October 30, 2023 12:27

Bashlets
And I bet actual physical sales the stones hit number 1 in USA. It’s the streaming that kept them off number 1.

Oh, that's without doubt. I wouldn't imagine that many of, say, Drake's album-sales are through physical purchases, for example. He's for the 'streaming generation', certainly.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 30, 2023 15:40

Number 3, it's great.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: October 30, 2023 15:45

powerage78
Number 3, it's great.

And, actually, is the sort of placing that I suspect many were predicting. I did, however, admittedly wonder whether it stood a chance of hitting #1 stateside; even if only for a week.

Posted by: petewasbristol ()
Date: October 30, 2023 16:30

I think it is a fair to say that the combined totals from sales from all over the world are going to be very impressive. Especially physical versions.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 30, 2023 16:35

29-Oct-2023: "Hackney Diamonds reached number one in Japan on the iTunes Store immediately after its release and on Amazon's General Music Chart. It also reached No. 1 on the weekly CD chart for Western music (Sound Scan Japan's Western Music Weekly Top 200, 16-22 Oct. 2023) and No. 4 on Apple Music for streaming" - [www.Universal-Music.co.jp] .

31-Oct-2023: "Hackney Diamonds became the best-selling album released in Japan in the 2020s in its second week of release. According to SoundScan Japan, Hackney Diamonds was the number one selling 'Western POP' CD released between January 2020 and 29 October 2023. It became the best-selling Western music album of the 2020s in Japan in only its second week of release." - [www.Universal-Music.co.jp] .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-31 13:00 by Irix.

Date: October 30, 2023 16:42

Irix
"Hackney Diamonds reached number one in Japan on the iTunes Store immediately after its release and on Amazon's General Music Chart. It also reached No. 1 on the weekly CD chart for Western music (Sound Scan Japan's Western Music Weekly Top 200, 16-22 Oct. 2023) and No. 4 on Apple Music for streaming" - [www.Universal-Music.co.jp] .

Yes, but they're not Japan's national chart. On Billboard Japan it charted at #4. I'm presuming the Billboard chart incorporates all sales: digital downloads, streaming, and CD's.

What's going om in Lithuania? It only reached #68! No visit from the Stones, then! grinning smiley

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 30, 2023 17:00

Big Al

Yes, but they're not Japan's national chart. On Billboard Japan it charted at #4.

At Billboard Japan it's #4 in the 'Hot Albums' (25-Oct-2023) - [www.Billboard-Japan.com] .

Rolling Stones Shine at No. 1 In UK With ‘Hackney Diamonds’
Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: October 30, 2023 15:05

[www.billboard.com]

Their 14th No.1 album in the UK.... not bad!!

Re: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 30, 2023 18:30

Finally had a chance to listen to the album for the very first time last night - KidSuper CD version. Here are my impressions..........

Overall a very solid album!! Much better than I'd anticipated to be honest!!!! There's no over-enunciating on Mick's part. All sounds quite natural actually.

My favorites, and what I deem to be the strongest songs on the album are Whole Wide World and Live By The Sword, with the latter being a great swan song of the version of the band many of us knew for so very long!!! Indeed, it was this version of the band that I first began to follow and started my lifelong love and obsession.

For me, the weakest songs are Depending On You - more than all the others, this one really sounds like a Jagger solo track dressed up for the Stones. Driving Me Too Hard - feel this one is lacking something. Going for a ballady feel, but doesn't quite get anywhere near the greatness of so many of their latter-day ballads. And lastly (and this might very well get me slaughtered on here!), Sweet Sounds of Summer. I agree that Gaga oversings faaaaaar too much on it, and really overshadows Jagger. They should have continued working it until she was down closer to his level. I also think when the song concluded around the 5 minute mark that they should have gone into another shorter song of some sort, kind of a segue like a lot of EOMS feels, just blending into the next song.

Get Close does have a bit of an EOMS vibe to it, and Dreamy Skies reminds me a bit of Faraway Eyes. The start of Bite My Head Off sounds like another song - almost verbatim - but I can't come up with what song that is just yet. It'll come to me at some point.

Many always point to Crosseyed Heart sounding like a collection of unfinished songs, but other than the opening track I never understood that consensus. However, Tell Me Straight sounds to me as if it is indeed unfinished. Between the shortness and the lack of lyrics, I just think it could have been done better. But I do like what there is to it! Just wish it was flushed out some more!!!!

I like the leaked snippet of Mess It Up better than the final result included here, but it's obvious that Tell The Truth morphed into this one. Still a pretty damn good song and I could see this being the new MY in the concert set!!! Let's give MY a rest and insert this as the post-Keef song!!!!

I really enjoy Elton's piano playing on the album. Very honky tonk-ish - was pleasantly surprised by that!!! Also noticed Benmont Tench on multiple songs, which was nice to see.

It's very much a solid album with 9 of 12 songs being really fantastic - of course that's after only 1 listen. Have the album on loop today on YT and will see if any of the 3 'weaker' ones grow on me any. But overall, I am happy - very happy - with the results for this album!!!!

I'd love to hear a lot of these live, and would really love to have the whole setlist revived!!! I think it would be AWESOME if they did a 3-song encore next year, and just Mick & Keef came out quietly and sat on stools to perform Rolling Stone first and then go into some song where Ronnie handles the first few opening chords while Mick & Keef regroup. That would be incredible!!!!

EDIT - I think I'd meant Boogie-Woogie rather than Honky Tonk. Either way, it sounds great, very free-flowing and fun!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-30 21:16 by VoodooLounge13.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: October 30, 2023 18:35

DGA35
GasLightStreet
georgelicks
Blink-182 Reunion Album ‘One More Time’ Debuts at No. 1 on Billboard 200

WTF

I don't know anyone that likes that excuse of a band.

That's beyond.

So stupid.

I'm going to guess a ton of teens and 20 somethings!

The dumbest thing I’ve heard all day.

Posted by: LondonLee ()
Date: October 30, 2023 18:48

LondonLee
Not a great album, in fact far from it, and feels very much like a mixture of a Mick solo album with a mixture of Stones tracks that weren't released because they weren't deemed decent enough to be put on a B side.

4 excellent tracks - Angry, Sweet sounds... , Tell me Straight and Rolling Stones Blues but for me the rest I'm happy to have listened to and will do so every now and again but seldomly.

I know we couldn't expect something akin to them at their best and should be amazed that men in or near their 80s can still make an album like that but it's not even as good as being a 'Stones by Numbers album'.

Far from being the best output since Some Girls, for me this is the worst record since Dirty Work and, whisper it quietly, I probably prefer that to be honest.

Just had a second listen and, yes, I admit my first assessment was wrong.

It's a solid album with some really decent stuff on there.

I suspect that my next listen will elevate my opinion of it further....

One question though: Why didn't Keith lead vocals on Driving Me Too Hard??? That song was made for him.

Posted by: Jackda ()
Date: October 30, 2023 18:57

Highlights

Tell me Straight
Rolling Stones Blues
Whole Wide World (Dolby Atmos + stereo downmix)

Good tracks

Angry
Live By The Sword
Bite My Head off
Dreamy Skies
Sweet Sounds of Heaven

Ok

Mess it Up
Depending On You
Driving me too Hard
Get Close

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 30, 2023 19:19

Did Mick write the lyrics to SSOH, he'll of a change from you will never make a Saint of me, anyway Mick or Keith whoever wrote the lyrics, maybe both of them, best Stones lyrics for decade's.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 30, 2023 19:31

LondonLee
LondonLee
Not a great album, in fact far from it, and feels very much like a mixture of a Mick solo album with a mixture of Stones tracks that weren't released because they weren't deemed decent enough to be put on a B side.

4 excellent tracks - Angry, Sweet sounds... , Tell me Straight and Rolling Stones Blues but for me the rest I'm happy to have listened to and will do so every now and again but seldomly.

I know we couldn't expect something akin to them at their best and should be amazed that men in or near their 80s can still make an album like that but it's not even as good as being a 'Stones by winking smileyNumbers album'.

Far from being the best output since Some Girls, for me this is the worst record since Dirty Work and, whisper it quietly, I probably prefer that to be honest.

One question though: Why didn't Keith lead vocals on Driving Me Too Hard??? That song was made for him.

Not you as well hehe its like mind control the more we play it , but in all seriousness I've realised something, I've never played a Mick solo album this many times, I've played them not liked them and put them away.
Well a few on iorr rated Wandering Spirit the best one so I pulled it out of the sleeve and gave it a few plays a few years ago and Wow it was really good.
Moral of the Story Mick's albums take a bit of getting into, when you do play them a dozen times they are really good, this album is the same although i do confess the few Keith tracks have the edge.winking smiley

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 30, 2023 19:50

I was trying to come up with a definition of "honest review", thanks peoplewitheyes to have posted a perfect example of that, imo

Date: October 30, 2023 19:53

VoodooLounge13

Many always point to Crosseyed Heart sounding like a collection of unfinished songs, but other than the opening track I never understood that consensus. However, Tell Me Straight sounds to me as if it is indeed unfinished. Between the shortness and the lack of lyrics, I just think it could have been done better. But I do like what there is to it! Just wish it was flushed out some more!!!!

+1

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: October 30, 2023 19:58

LondonLee
LondonLee

I know we couldn't expect something akin to them at their best and should be amazed that men in or near their 80s can still make an album like that but it's not even as good as being a 'Stones by Numbers album'.

So let me get this straight. You decided to give your review on an album after listening to it once? You have now decided to give another review after listening to it twice.

Dear oh dear...... Some people.eye rolling smiley

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 30, 2023 20:07

The Rolling Stones Are First Act With Billboard 200 Top 10 Albums Each Decade Since the 1960s

The legendary band's new Hackney Diamonds debuts at No. 3 on the Billboard 200.
10/30/2023

By Keith Caulfield
October 30, 2023

Mark Seliger

[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: October 30, 2023 20:33

bye bye johnny
The Rolling Stones Are First Act With Billboard 200 Top 10 Albums Each Decade Since the 1960s

10/30/2023

By Keith Caulfield
October 30, 2023

Mark Seliger

[www.billboard.com]

Congrats Boys!! smileys with beer

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 30, 2023 20:48

maumau

I was trying to come up with a definition of "honest review", thanks peoplewitheyes to have posted a perfect example of that, imo

I know Mick, Keith and Ronnie are old, but the combined age 301...grinning smiley

Seriously, I like the review in trying somehow to understand the context of this album. You know, what rock music is today and what's been in the past, and how the Stones - who pretty much invented the whole thing and 'been there, done that' by whatever imaginable means - with their new music fit to the picture. If the whole genre is more or less just looking back, living in the past glory, how could such a definitive and constitutive band do or be anything else? The things Mick and Keith - with the assistance of Watt - are thinking in particular when figuring out what there is left to say - the whole point and function of the album/new music - is something the whole genre is reflecting in general at the moment. I don't know how the article succeeds in opening up that issue - probably it is something that goes beyond comprehension at the moment - but there is a point there. Anyway, likewise the reviewer, I think HACKNEY DIAMONDS succeeds incredibly well taking the challenge they have.

I actually like this kind of more ambitious reviews than the ones stating "best since SOME GIRLS" blah blah blah. The latter ones actually do not say anything. The relationship of HACKNEY DIAMONDS to their previous achievements is much more complicated than one-to-one comparisons. Besides we have heard that 'best since -talk' way too many times...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-30 20:51 by Doxa.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 30, 2023 20:51

UK Midweek Update (Friday/Sunday)

1 Taylor Swift - 1989 (Taylor's Version) (147,683) [125,262 physicals, 3,398 downloads, 19,023 streaming]
2 Orchestral Manoeuvres In the Dark - Bauhaus Staircase (13,601)
3 The Rolling Stones - Hackney Diamonds (7,512)
4 Duran Duran - DANSE MACABRE (7,310)
5 James Blunt - Who We Used To Be (7,124)

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 30, 2023 21:19

georgelicks
UK Midweek Update (Friday/Sunday)

1 Taylor Swift - 1989 (Taylor's Version) (147,683) [125,262 physicals, 3,398 downloads, 19,023 streaming]
2 Orchestral Manoeuvres In the Dark - Bauhaus Staircase (13,601)
3 The Rolling Stones - Hackney Diamonds (7,512)
4 Duran Duran - DANSE MACABRE (7,310)
5 James Blunt - Who We Used To Be (7,124)

Funny how James Blunt is in the top 5...I think he beat ABB way back in 2005 for no. 1 in the UK.

I think next week you'll see another pop in the charts for Hackney...I'm hoping that's because/when some of my orders will actually start shipping.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-30 22:47 by treaclefingers.

Date: October 30, 2023 21:35

Doxa
maumau

I know Mick, Keith and Ronnie are old, but the combined age 301...grinning smiley

- Doxa

ahahahh Steve does not know yet, but someone has already counted him in...

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: October 30, 2023 22:01

What I'm amazed by is how selling 5000 copies in The UK gets you in the top ten these days.

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: October 30, 2023 22:30

bye bye johnny

10/30/2023

By Keith Caulfield
October 30, 2023

Mark Seliger

[www.billboard.com]

A great performance by the 80-year-olds.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: October 30, 2023 23:05

BBC Radio 2 have been playing Mess it Up (and HD was their album of the week). Any news on when Mess it Up is being released as a single?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2223242526272829303132...LastNext
Current Page: 27 of 96

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1994
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home