Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031...LastNext
Current Page: 26 of 96
Re: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 30, 2023 13:53

matxil
bitusa2012
Redhotcarpet
video: [youtu.be]

An honest review. smiling smiley

So all other reviews that don’t apparently align with YOUR personal thinking are DISHONEST? A pretty dishonest judgement call you’ve made on others.

He doesn't say that the others are dishonest. He just says that this one is honest (which it is).
Anyway, I suspect (but irony doesn't always work well on internet so maybe I am wrong) that he meant it with a tongue in cheek, since this whole "honest review" thing has been an issue before on this thread.

Spot on smiling smiley

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 30, 2023 13:54

matxil
bitusa2012
Redhotcarpet

So all other reviews that don’t apparently align with YOUR personal thinking are DISHONEST? A pretty dishonest judgement call you’ve made on others.

He doesn't say that the others are dishonest. He just says that this one is honest (which it is).
Anyway, I suspect (but irony doesn't always work well on internet so maybe I am wrong) that he meant it with a tongue in cheek, since this whole "honest review" thing has been an issue before on this thread.

Nothing dishonest about this review, the album will grow on the reviewer over time like its growing on me, but I think the guy nails it.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 30, 2023 13:58

I want to like the album and I do like Tell me straight and Dreamy skies but I really wish theyd recorded/produced/mixed the vocals better. I also sort of wish Keith didnt jam in those trademark licks into Dreamy Skies and Rolling Stone Blues. It sounds good but forced.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 30, 2023 14:03

matxil
bitusa2012
Redhotcarpet

Then I apologise. But again, what makes a review dishonest or honest? I don’t get that. Does honest mean it aligns with your take? Meaning reviews that don’t align with you or me are “ dishonest”. Sorry, just don’t get it.

Rod

Date: October 30, 2023 14:12

Why wouldn't a review be honest? Otherwise it wouldn't have been a review.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 30, 2023 14:49

Probably we should draw a distinction here. I guess about all reviews are 'honest' in the way of reviewer stating one's own frank opinion as it is. No intentional lies. But that doesn't mean that what one says is right. And I suppose it is the latter notion that was initially meant by the ill use of 'honesty' (by our Keef fanboy here).

And, of course, the 'right' in the world of 'me, me, me!' is the one that equals with one's own opinion. The latter and only the latter is the source of all truth. So there are lots of honest but bad and wrong reviews, since they claim that the album is good, while it, objectively speaking, is not...

The sad thing is that not all of us have a privileged access to the world of non-disputed objective musical facts. So our opinions are terribly misguided by our human weaknesses and bad taste. We poor souls. We might like crap. And we are even so damn stubborn and stupid that we don't even 'get it', even though if we are guided by these friendly, better souls having a proper understanding of music.

No sarcasm here.grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-30 14:58 by Doxa.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 30, 2023 14:51

I think the "pitchfork" review was a bit dishonest. A honest review means that you give an album a chance, and judge it on its good and bad points. The pitchfork (or something like that) review was just one pure blitzkrieg attack everything to do with the Stones.
On the other hand, the Contrarions review is not positive either, but it is actually based on arguments about the production, the song structure and the sound. It seems the guy genuinely listened to it and gave it a try but didn't like it.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 30, 2023 15:00

Doxa

No sarcasm here.grinning smiley

- Doxa

Of course not !..

...and let's be fair...

...there are some perfectly honest idiots out there.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: October 30, 2023 15:03

matxil
I think the "pitchfork" review was a bit dishonest. A honest review means that you give an album a chance, and judge it on its good and bad points. The pitchfork (or something like that) review was just one pure blitzkrieg attack everything to do with the Stones.
On the other hand, the Contrarions review is not positive either, but it is actually based on arguments about the production, the song structure and the sound. It seems the guy genuinely listened to it and gave it a try but didn't like it.
the pitchfork guys like a certain type of record. preferably one that has all new and innovative sounds.
they're a bit snobbish

Date: October 30, 2023 15:03

Doxa.

At this moment in time i have equal respect for both Mick and Keith.

Is it allowed on iorr to talk about another poster constantly trying to start a campaign.

I've admitted the album is growing on me, it's actually a good album once you get into it.

Play fair.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 30, 2023 17:13

keefriffhards
Doxa.

Is it allowed on iorr to talk about another poster constantly trying to start a campaign.

I've admitted the album is growing on me, it's actually a good album once you get into it.

Play fair.

Okay, let's cherish this moment of equality while it lasts. Tomorrow you never know what bad Jagger has done to make your (and your projected Keith) world miserable.

For the rest... C'mon, it's not that bad. You shoot bullets here, and get a few back.. A friendly fire, mostly. Like your hero once put it, 'You Shouldn' t Take It So Hard'... But nice you have started to like the album. For a moment.winking smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: amg077 ()
Date: October 30, 2023 17:15

Highlights

Dreamy Skies
Whole Wide World
Mess it Up
Sweet Sounds of Heaven

Good tracks

Angry
Depending On You
Get Close
Tell me Straight
Rolling Stones Blues
Driving me too Hard

Ok
Live By The Sword
Bite My Head off

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: October 30, 2023 17:20

i saw on discogs.com there are also mono cd's off Hackney Diamonds. Anyone got one of those? How do they sound? Are they worth buying or can I just set my audio equipment to mono settings when i play a stereo cd?

Also wondering if the mono recordings are available on vinyl?

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Date: October 30, 2023 17:39

Doxa
keefriffhards
Doxa.

Play fair.

Okay, let's cherish this moment of equality while it lasts. Tomorrow you never know what bad Jagger has done to make your (and your projected Keith) world miserable.

For the rest... C'mon, it's not that bad. You shoot bullets here, and get a few back.. A friendly fire, mostly. Like your hero once put it, 'You Shouldn' t Take It So Hard'... But nice you have started to like the album. For a moment.winking smiley

- Doxa

I'll drink to that.thumbs up

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 30, 2023 17:40

MononoM

i saw on discogs.com there are also mono cd's off Hackney Diamonds.

It's the Japanese SHM-CD UICY-16194 & UICY-16195 and track #12 (Rolling Stone Blues) is said to be in mono - [www.Discogs.com] , [www.Discogs.com] . But that's the case with the other (worldwide) editions too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-30 18:00 by Irix.

Hackney Diamonds on charts?
Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: October 29, 2023 21:45

I read that the album will be No 1 on UK chart, for sure. Any info about USA chart, global chart, etc?

Re: Hackney Diamonds on charts?
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 29, 2023 22:25

laertisflash

Any info about USA chart, global chart, etc?

Chart positions so far - [iorr.org] .

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 29, 2023 22:51

Blink-182 Reunion Album ‘One More Time’ Debuts at No. 1 on Billboard 200

Plus, The Rolling Stones' first studio album of original material since 2005, "Hackney Diamonds," launches in the top three.

Blink-182’s One More Time bows atop the Billboard 200 albums chart (dated Nov. 4), securing the rock trio its third chart-topping set. The new full-length studio album begins with 125,000 equivalent album units earned in the U.S. in the week ending Oct. 26, according to Luminate, largely powered by traditional album sales.

One More Time is Blink-182’s first album with the group’s longtime lineup of drummer Travis Barker, vocalist/bassist Mark Hoppus and guitarist/vocalist Tom DeLonge since DeLonge departed the group in 2015 for seven years, and the first studio effort from that trio since 2012’s Dogs Eating Dogs EP. (Barker, Hoppus and DeLonge comprised Blink-182 during the band’s mainstream breakthrough in 1999 through 2014.)

Blink-182 previously hit No. 1 on the Billboard 200 with 2016’s California (with the lineup of Barker, Hoppus and guitarist/vocalist Matt Skiba) and 2001’s Take Off Your Pants and Jacket.

One More Time was led by a pair of No. 1s on Billboard’s Alternative Airplay chart: “Edging” (No. 1 for 13 consecutive weeks in 2022-23, the band’s longest run at No. 1 with any of its five leaders) and the title track (No. 1 for two weeks, thus far, including on the most recently published chart, dated Oct. 28). “Edging” marked the first No. 1 for Blink-182 on the Alternative Airplay chart since 2016’s “Bored to Death,” and One More Time is the first Blink-182 album to generate at least two No. 1s on the survey. Both “Edging” and “One More Time” also reached the all-genre, multi-metric Billboard Hot 100, hitting Nos. 61 and 62, respectively – the band’s highest-charting Hot 100 entries since 2004’s “I Miss You” reached No. 42.

Of One More Time’s 125,000 equivalent album units earned in the week ending Oct. 26, album sales comprise 101,000 (making it the top-selling album of the week), SEA units comprise 23,000 (equaling 30.19 million on-demand official streams of the set’s songs) and TEA units comprise 1,000.

Sales of One More Time were bolstered by its availability across 11 vinyl variants (which combined to sell 49,000 copies — the largest sales week for a rock album on vinyl in 2023), a standard CD, a cassette, and a deluxe boxed set with a branded shirt and a CD contained inside. The trio also released a late-in-the-week deluxe digital edition of the album, exclusively sold on the band’s webstore beginning on Oct. 25, which boasts two new bonus songs.

Drake’s chart-topping For All the Dogs is a non-mover at No. 2 with 120,000 equivalent album units earned (down 27%). It also scores its first frame at No. 1 on the recently launched Top Streaming Albums chart.

The Rolling Stones’ new studio album Hackney Diamonds debuts at No. 3 on the Billboard 200 with 101,000 equivalent album units earned. It’s the band’s first effort of all-original material since 2005’s A Bigger Bang, which debuted and peaked at No. 3. Hackney Diamonds marks the Stones’ 38th top 10-charting album, extending the group’s record for the most top 10 albums on the chart (since the list began publishing on a regular, weekly basis in 1956). Hackney Diamonds boasts special guests Lady Gaga, Elton John, Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder. The set was led by the singles “Angry” and “Sweet Sounds of Heaven” with Gaga. Both reached the Hot Rock & Alternative Songs chart, while “Angry” has also reached the top 10 of the Adult Alternative Airplay tally.

Of Hackney Diamonds’ first-week units, album sales comprise 94,000, SEA units comprise 6,000 (equaling 8.41 million on-demand official streams of the album’s songs) and TEA units comprise 1,000. The album’s sales were enhanced by its availability across more than 30 vinyl variants (totaling 36,000 sold), two deluxe boxed sets (with either a branded shirt or a hat, plus a CD), a digipack CD, a CD/blu-ray box set and a standard CD and download album.

Bad Bunny’s Nadie Sabe Lo Que Va a Pasar Mañana falls 1-4 in its second week on the Billboard 200 with 97,000 equivalent album units earned (down 47%).

The rest of the top 10 on the new Billboard 200 consists of former No. 1s, as Morgan Wallen’s One Thing at a Time climbs 6-5 (69,000; up less than 1%); Taylor Swift’s Midnights rises 9-6 (52,000; up 3%); Swift’s Lover ascends 8-7 (52,000; down less than 1%); Zach Bryan’s self-titled album falls 4-8 (just over 51,000; down 29%); Rod Wave’s Nostalgia dips 7-9 (51,000; down 4%); and Olivia Rodrigo’s Guts is a non-mover at No. 10 (45,000; down 9%).

[www.billboard.com]

1. Blink 182 125,000 ( sales 101,000)
2. Drake 120,000
3. Rolling Stones 101,000 (sales 94,000)
4. Bad Bunny 97,000
5. Morgan Wallen 69,000
6. Taylor Swift - Midnights 52,000
7. Taylor Swift - Lover 52,000
8. Zach Bryan 51,0000
9. Rod Wave 51,000
10. Olivia Rodrigo 45,000

Date: October 29, 2023 22:57

Thanks, folks.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 30, 2023 01:38

So they overtook Bad Bunny after all, phew!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: October 30, 2023 02:44

I am pissed they didn’t debut at #1. The album deserved better than #3.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 30, 2023 04:55

Shawn20
I am pissed they didn’t debut at #1. The album deserved better than #3.

Universal is to blame...they didn't ship probably thousands of units. There is nothing available in stores I've visited and I have a plethora of orders online from Sep 6th...nothing yet has shipped. It's cost them the no. 1 spot.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 30, 2023 05:02

georgelicks

WTF

I don't know anyone that likes that excuse of a band.

That's beyond.

So stupid.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 30, 2023 05:09

It’s very disappointing no doubt and with Taylor coming this week no way they gain any spots. I’ve received many copies I’ll update in other threads but am still missing some as well. Damn shame - they deserved better at this stage.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 30, 2023 06:25

GasLightStreet
georgelicks

WTF

That's beyond.

So stupid.

I'm going to guess a ton of teens and 20 somethings!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 30, 2023 08:37

DGA35
GasLightStreet
georgelicks

WTF

That's beyond.

So stupid.

I'm going to guess a ton of teens and 20 somethings!

More like ‘thirty’ or ‘forty-something’s’, I’d say. Blink 182’s heyday was at the very tail end of the 90’s, going into the early 2000’s. Original member, Tom DeLonge is back for this latest release, so there’d be plenty of hype around that. I like Blink; I have nostalgia for them. Admittedly though, I am little surprised they’ve managed to outsell the Stones in the U.S.A. They were ‘big’ for a bit, but Hackney Diamonds has been marketed so incredibly heavily; that, and if you take into account the demographic who buy’s albums - elders, basically - you’d have thought it would hit #1. It’s #1 in the U.K., at least!

Posted by: petewasbristol ()
Date: October 30, 2023 09:57

GasLightStreet
georgelicks

WTF

That's beyond.

So stupid.

Plenty of us in our 30's and 40's grew up with Blink 182 (they were my soundtrack to High School in the late 90's!). They also resonate with a much younger audience than the Stones. The new Blink 182 album sounds fantastic to my ears (yep, it bought it along with HD) so I can certainly see why it sold so well in the U.S.A.

The Stones were marketed perfectly in the U.K to get the sales and that number 1 spot, so you have to ask if enough was done for the Stones in the U.S.A. It's not Blink 182's fault (or problem) if the Stones aren't number one in that market.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 30, 2023 10:05

petewasbristol
GasLightStreet
georgelicks

WTF

That's beyond.

So stupid.

Plenty of us in our 30's and 40's grew up with Blink 182 (they were my soundtrack to High School in the late 90's!). They also resonate with a much younger audience than the Stones. The new Blink 182 album sounds fantastic to my ears (yep, it bought it along with HD) so I can certainly see why it sold so well in the U.S.A.

The Stones were marketed perfectly in the U.K to get the sales and that number 1 spot, so you have to ask if enough was done for the Stones in the U.S.A. It's not Blink 182's fault (or problem) if the Stones aren't number one in that market.

Yeah, I was in Year 11 when Enema of The State was the 'hot thing' All my friends were huge fans, where as I was only interested in my dad's collection of 60's LP's and singles. I didn't appreciate them at the time, but have developed a nostalgia for them, alongside The Offspring.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: October 30, 2023 10:45

GasLightStreet
georgelicks

WTF

That's beyond.

So stupid.
Guess, they can easily skip US for the upcoming tour country and focus on Europe. Like 50-60 shows for Europe.

Why to play to the people who appreciate that Blink more? winking smiley.

Date: October 30, 2023 11:16

It seems like the sales are really strong, globaly. Look at the whole picture, that's matters...

Honestly, I can't undestand the complaints about #3 on US chart. If I count correctly, in the entire Stones history we only have 9 studio albums reaching #1 there and the last one was "Tattoo You". On the other hand, "Tattoo You", "Some Girls" and other studio albums didn't reach #1 on UK chart. So what?

The most important thing is (and will be during the next weeks) the numbers of clear sales. Charts potitions have to do with local factors and casual factors too. "Emotional Rescue" reached #1 on UK chart, "Some Girls" didn't. But all of us know that "Some Girls" did stronger sales. Maybe match stronger.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031...LastNext
Current Page: 26 of 96

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1728
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home