Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Stones collectors: which species are you?
Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: October 14, 2023 16:51

Calling all collectors on this site: Which species are you?

(1) I'm very casual. If I hear a Stones song I like, I might buy the CD.

(2) I collect every officially-released song of theirs (a "song" being defined as "it is part of Rene's Track Talk series"). I have one version of Miss You, for example, in my collection (on CD and/or MP3).

(3) I don't care about what is vs is not officially-released. I collect every song of theirs. Same as #2 but I also have oodles of bootlegged tracks that never saw official release.

(4) I collect every officially-released VERSION of every song of theirs (live tracks excluded). So I have every officially-released non-live version of Miss You, including all the officially-released remixes.

(5) I collect every officially-released VERSION of every song of theirs (live tracks included). So I have every officially-released live and non-live version of Miss You, including all the officially-released remixes.

(6) I collect every officially-released VERSION AND ISSUE of every song of theirs. So I have the Japanese and German CD-single issues of Mixed Emotions), even though it's the exact same track on both issues.

(7) Same as #6 but I also collect every officially-released piece-of-crap merchandise.

(8) I collect everything I can possibly get my hands on that has something to do with the Stones.

(P.S. For those of you who care, I pulled the example about the Japanese and German CD-single issues of Mixed Emotions out of my ass. I don't know it there were Japanese and German CD-single issues of Mixed Emotions nor do I care).

Drew

Re: Stones collectors: which species are you?
Posted by: biggzee ()
Date: October 14, 2023 16:58

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: October 14, 2023 17:00

None of your numbers. I Like to hear every released or unreleased song, but don't need every vinyl, silver, tape or digital release, nore any RS item I can get.

Date: October 14, 2023 17:11

BlueTurns2Grey
None of your numbers. I Like to hear every released or unreleased song, but don't need every vinyl, silver, tape or digital release, nore any RS item I can get.

Category 1, then?

Drew

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: October 14, 2023 17:13

Non of the above. I want every official studio album on vinyl, and all live releases on vinyl. Don't need all 'best of' collections, or Japanese curiosities on vinyl, just one good version (at least).

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 14, 2023 17:13

(1)

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 14, 2023 17:22

I think streaming changed everything in the record business. Hardware isn't that interesting anymore. And with age you realize that collecting easily just become a burden in the end.
I didn't think like this in 1989 though...

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: October 14, 2023 17:26

Haha, very hard to pick a number. I´m not 17 anymore and all of that. But let´s say 3? All their albums and then some boots - fine with me. (I know nothing about computors, but was was very happy 2021?, when I suddenly "knew" how to download those three cd:s of "unfinished" lost tracks.)

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 14, 2023 17:36

Probably 5, although with the advent of streaming, theres a few recent releases I havent splashed out for. Yet.

Maybe even 3, as I've got close to every live show or unreleased studio material that circulates (on hard drives though. I never collected bootleg Lps or CDs and binned my tape collection years ago as I transferred everything to hard drives)

I have never had any desire to be 'species' 6,7 & 8. Total waste of money and energy. Each to their own, though.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 14, 2023 17:46

Mostly 3

I think I have all of the officially released albums, and quite a few boots and alternate versions.

In no way am I a completist like some on here.

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: October 14, 2023 18:01

None of above.
I collect official releases from UK, USA and Canada (albums only)
No CD’s, of course.

Date: October 14, 2023 18:02

Gazza
I have never had any desire to be 'species' 6,7 & 8. Total waste of money and energy. Each to their own, though.

I feel fortunate not to be one of those. Maybe they're enjoying themselves but it seems kinda self-deluding. Like they're trying to satisfy some inner demon that wants to be fed so they get that dopamine rush.

Drew

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 14, 2023 18:07

5, but like Gazza, I haven't necessarily got physical copies of every recent live release...I usually wait for a price dip for those. Also, more skewed to vinyl.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 14, 2023 18:16

Used to be an 8 for what it's worth. Now I'm down to a 5.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: October 14, 2023 18:18

drewmaster
Calling all collectors on this site: Which species are you?

(1) I'm very casual. If I hear a Stones song I like, I might buy the CD.

(2) I collect every officially-released song of theirs (a "song" being defined as "it is part of Rene's Track Talk series"). I have one version of Miss You, for example, in my collection (on CD and/or MP3).

(3) I don't care about what is vs is not officially-released. I collect every song of theirs. Same as #2 but I also have oodles of bootlegged tracks that never saw official release.

(4) I collect every officially-released VERSION of every song of theirs (live tracks excluded). So I have every officially-released non-live version of Miss You, including all the officially-released remixes.

(5) I collect every officially-released VERSION of every song of theirs (live tracks included). So I have every officially-released live and non-live version of Miss You, including all the officially-released remixes.

(6) I collect every officially-released VERSION AND ISSUE of every song of theirs. So I have the Japanese and German CD-single issues of Mixed Emotions), even though it's the exact same track on both issues.

(7) Same as #6 but I also collect every officially-released piece-of-crap merchandise.

(8) I collect everything I can possibly get my hands on that has something to do with the Stones.

(P.S. For those of you who care, I pulled the example about the Japanese and German CD-single issues of Mixed Emotions out of my ass. I don't know it there were Japanese and German CD-single issues of Mixed Emotions nor do I care).

Drew

sorry, but this is useless since the gap between 1 and 2 is far too wide while the gaps between the other 'spices' are rather small in comparison. I guess there are a hell lot oft people (even on IORR) who fall in the gap between 1 and 2.
Me, for example, I own all of the Stones' original albums, a lot of their official live released (but not all), quite a few bootlegs but I'm not a collector in any way. On the other hand I'm more than just a casual fans who 'might buy a CD'…

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: October 14, 2023 20:19

Somewhere around (3) maybe. I have all of their officially released albums with only a few exceptions (Live Licks for example).

Bootlegs I collected for about 10 years - visual was my thing. Maybe 200-300+ hours on VHS/DVD. TV specials, interviews, broadcast live shows from diff countrys..etc..etc.

I still recall the very first bootleg- a fellow fan, he from Australia, sent a list. And there were the titles I had read about, and always wondered would I ever see - Marquee '71, Paris '76, Fort Worth '78 (6 songs), and the most anticipated, L&G '72 and CS Blues. Receiving those was one of the greatest moments in my fandom.

Session/live audio bootlegs I collected some, mainly session stuff. But visual by far was what I sought.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-14 20:20 by IrelandCalling4.

Date: October 14, 2023 22:36

I used to be 8.
But tbh some of the fun has gone out of it for me; With every single being released in color, upside down, live, remixed, Japanese, not Japanese.
Also my listening direction has changed. If I listen to official stuff, it will be early, early. Otherwise, just boots.

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: October 14, 2023 22:42

I'm with Slewan.

Posted by: RaiseTheKnife ()
Date: October 14, 2023 22:54

If there are collectors who actually buy all 10 different variants for each new live/re-release then you must be drowning in Stones records by now.

Can't imagine spending so much money just to buy the same old warhorses again and again.

Posted by: gavin95 ()
Date: October 14, 2023 23:08

I have some cd’s, one vinyl record (Tattoo You) but I have everything official in my digital library (which is what I really care about.)

EXCEPT for those dumb remixes like The Neptunes Sympathy for the Devil. If I have no use for a song, there’s no reason for me to have it.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 14, 2023 23:12

Definitely a 1

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 14, 2023 23:52

2/3

If you ask me this in the early 70's it would probably 7/8, but back then it was only the officially releases and bootleggers

Date: October 15, 2023 01:18

Palace Revolution 2000
I used to be 8.
But tbh some of the fun has gone out of it for me; With every single being released in color, upside down, live, remixed, Japanese, not Japanese.
Also my listening direction has changed. If I listen to official stuff, it will be early, early. Otherwise, just boots.

NICOS
2/3

If you ask me this in the early 70's it would probably 7/8, but back then it was only the officially releases and bootleggers

Palace and Nicos, interesting to see both of you saying your score has dropped with time. Mine has too. I love this band as much as ever, but I really can't be bothered anymore with collecting every scrap like when I was younger.

Drew

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 15, 2023 01:33

Me gauge goes up to 11 ....... What i cant afford I flog ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: October 15, 2023 02:09

Somewhere between number 4 and 5 would be closest for me. I like to collect every officially released studio track, plus an official live track if it was never released as a studio version to begin with (i.e. Going To A Go-Go, Like A Rolling Stone, Chantilly Lace, etc). I will collect officially released remixes or extended versions. But if I have those tracks on either mp3 or CD, that's good enough for me. I don't need duplicate tracks of the same version from compilations or on alternate formats such as vinyl, cassette tape, etc. I also enjoy collecting some studio bootlegs but only the best versions I can find of each track. I don't actively seek out unfinished or inferior studio tracks from the vault, nor all of the endless live versions of the same song available through bootlegs.

Ride like the wind at double speed.....

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-15 02:38 by sf37.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 15, 2023 09:25

i prefer older original releases in every format that they released them

and the more obselete the better (video rewind on ced anyone?winking smiley)

though i love vinyl i prefer the original vinyl releases from the 60's-90's and don't really need all the endless re-releases on vinyl except for special cases (el mocambo, deluxe albums, and of course the new studio album)

collect every old book i can on them and like tracking down old magazines with interviews and articles on them

and bootlegs?

have to have every single circulating show and studio outtake in the best available quality

but for bootlegs mostly i collect them digitally

though i also like collecting old vinyl bootlegs from the 70s and 80s

for official stuff i have almost everything up to the about 2010 on some physical format or another

past 2010 i'm working on it there's been so much released its hard to keep up

but though i prefer physical media i do digitize all my stuff so as to have the best of both worlds

i don't collect t-shirts, hats, pins, posters, cups, plates, jewel encusted box's in the shape of the toungue logo, teddy bears or any other such things

so i don't think i identify with any of the species you've listed

but i'm definitely far from 1grinning smiley

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: October 15, 2023 09:37

Hi can help you with Stones books.
E.mail adress ksdiamonds@yahoo.co.uk

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 15, 2023 09:46

What's the point collecting after the age of, say 50? At that age you have probably collected a lot of other stuff too. After a while you realize you may not have space for everything you have gathered and, maybe, no one to pass the collection on to. Then you have to start selling. Then you realize that most of the stuff you have collected is worth peanuts anyway.

Posted by: Scooby ()
Date: October 15, 2023 09:59

None of these.

I love the Stones and their music but I don’t need 29 versions of JJF. I won’t actually buy Hackney Diamonds but will stream it which is my preferred way of getting music these days.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: October 15, 2023 10:16

I have to agree with some of the comments here (I’m 68) and am seriously considering selling my magazines, bootlegs, scrapbooks, newspapers and vinyl I’ve collected since 1971

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1654
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home