Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 27
Re: Stones in NYC week of October 16
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 20, 2023 14:37

Topi
4 new songs out of 7.

Was the Some Girls tour the last time any crowd got that kind of ratio?

Yes, it would've been. However, this was just a little promotional work for Hackney Diamonds, of course. If they tour behind this record, I doubt the ratio would compare with the 1978 tour. The Stones' set-list model hasn't changed much since the Steel Wheels tour. Remember: by the time the A Bigger Bang tour was wrapping-up in '07, I think they were down to about one track from the record; Rough Justice, wasn't it?

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: October 20, 2023 14:41

No, of course they're not going to play that high of a percentage of new songs going forward.

(Looking at an average setlist of the Some Girls tour, they would routinely play 8 songs off it in an 18-song setlist. [www.setlist.fm])

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-20 14:43 by Topi.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: October 20, 2023 14:44

StonedRambler
schwonek
Just wow. Sounds amazing. Shattered - what an opener. But sad that Chuck wasnt there.

First gig without Chuck as their musical director since when? 1982?

Still hoping Chuck is doing well and that it was just a schedule conflict or something like that.

Chuck is well, I talk to him often.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: October 20, 2023 14:45

ProfessorWolf
pro shot footage of ssoh

Whole gig simply incredible! I'm speechless. Hadn't expected anything like this. Go Go Go Rolling Stones!

d.f

PS: What's their age again?

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 20, 2023 14:45

roller99
StonedRambler
schwonek
Just wow. Sounds amazing. Shattered - what an opener. But sad that Chuck wasnt there.

First gig without Chuck as their musical director since when? 1982?

Still hoping Chuck is doing well and that it was just a schedule conflict or something like that.

Chuck is well, I talk to him often.

that's good to hear

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: October 20, 2023 14:52

Cool with Ronnie on backup vocals on Angry.

Stones in NYC week of October 16
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 20, 2023 15:10

Rolling Stones and Lady Gaga Shatter New York City at Surprise Club Gig

The album release party featured four 'Hackney Diamonds' tunes along with "Shattered," "Tumbling Dice," and "Jumpin' Jack Flash"

By Andy Greene
October 20, 2023

Kevin Mazur

The crowd of celebrities, music industry insiders, and media folks that crammed into the New York City club Racket on Thursday evening had every reason to believe they were there to witness a Rolling Stones concert, but it was impossible to be sure at first. The invitation billed the event merely an an “Album Release Party” timed to the release of Hackney Diamonds. We were told all phones and smart watches would be placed in pouches, and “armed guards” and “personal security” wouldn’t be allowed in. “Dress cool,” read the invite. “It’s a party!”

The party started with a DJ set by Questlove and Samantha Urbani as the VIP section slowly filled up with the likes of Elvis Costello, Daniel Craig, Rachel Weisz, and Chris Rock. Rumors circulated all week the Stones were going to play a mini set. The stage was set up with their gear, but it felt like an impossible dream that the world’s biggest rock band were going to play a 600-seat club that has two nights of Ben Kweller and a Talking Heads tribute band on their calendar.

Then the lights dimmed after 10:00 pm, and the Stones indeed walked onto the tiny stage. The core band of Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Ron Wood, bassist Darryl Jones, and drummer Steve Jordan were joined only by keyboardist Matt Clifford, and background vocalist Chanel Haynes. (Longtime keyboardist Chuck Leavell, backup singers Bernard Fowler and Sasha Allen, and horn players Karl Denson and Tim Ries were all AWOL for the evening.)

“How are you doing?” Jagger asked the crowd. “You having a good time? We’re going to play old! We’re going to play new!”

The band started with old by going back to 1978 with “Shattered,” a tribute to a far grimier New York than the one of today. This was the first Stones performance of any sort in over a year, and there were concerns in some quarters when a planned summer tour was scuttled without explanation. Tonight, however, there weren’t any signs of rust. Jagger was in pristine form as he glided across the narrow stage and belted out the tale of West Side rats and uptown bed bugs without even glancing at the teleprompter.

They followed it up with the live premieres of “Angry” and “Whole Wide World.” They’re two of the best songs off Hackney Diamonds, which is racking up reviews calling it their best album in decades. (Best since Steel Wheels? Undercover? Tattoo You, even? We need a few more listens to be sure, but there’s no doubt that it’s shockingly great.) Both of the songs crackled with life on the stage.

“It always seems that we launch our new albums in New York,” Jagger said. “We’ve done it in a blimp [in 2002]. We’ve done it on a flatbed truck going down 5th Avenue [in 1975]. We did it in a convertible going over the Brooklyn Bridge [in 1997] and a train going into Grand Central [in 1989]. We were missing the launches so much that we had to make another album to come back and re-launch it.”

“Tumblin’ Dice” was up next, but the truncated band meant they couldn’t do the usual extended coda. It was instead a fast and dirty one, similar to the Exile on Main Street original. Chanel Haynes did a stellar job on the background vocals. Her only prior performance with the Stones took place in 2022 when they flew her to Milan last minute to sing “Gimme Shelter” when Allen had to miss a show. She was starring as Tina Turner on the West End stage at the time, and the producers fired her for missing a performance to make the gig. It seems like she made the right call because it got her back on the stage with the Stones at least one more time.

“This is the first club gig we’ve played in a long time in New York,” Jagger said when the song wrapped. “I used to come to this club when it was called the Highline. Then it was called Blow and then Powder. Anyway, it’s great to be here making a racket. We’re going to make a racket with this next one. It’s called ‘Bite My Head Off.'”

This is the Hackney Diamonds song featuring Paul McCartney on bass. It would have been a truly historic moment to see him come out to guest with them on it, but the Beatle is in Australia on his own tour. They did just fine without him, playing the tune at a breakneck speed while Richards and Wood gleefully traded licks. “You think I’m your bitch?” Jagger roared. “I’m f*cking with your brain!”

After band intros, Jagger told the crowd they’d be familiar with the next song. It was “Jumpin’ Jack Flash,” and witnessing it up close in a sweaty club as opposed to an 80,000-seat football stadium was simply surreal. And even though they’ve played it 1,200 times over the past 55 years, more than any other song in their vast catalog, nothing about the performance felt even remotely rote.

They walked offstage at the end, returning after just about a minute for the live debut of “Sweet Sounds of Heaven” from Hackney Diamonds. Lady Gaga sings it with them on the record, and it was no surprise when she walked onto the Racket stage since she was watching the show from the wings all night. Wearing a red sequined jumpsuit, Gaga beamed with joy as she locked voices with Jagger and brought the gospel-tinged ballad to one soaring climax after another. “New York City, the Rolling Stones!” Gaga roared at the end. “Take a bow.”

It was an impossible moment to top. They didn’t even try. And even though they played a mere seven songs, and only three oldies, nobody walked out looking unhappy. This was the smallest venue the Stones have basically ever played in New York City, and likely the only gig they’re going to play anywhere this year. Everyone knew they’d just witnessed something historic.

The show sets up a stadium tour that’s very likely to head across America next summer. Let’s hope they break tradition and play more than just two or three Hackney Diamonds songs in the set. This isn’t another Voodoo Lounge or Bridges to Babylon. It’s not just a few decent songs and a lot of filler. This is a colossal achievement that nobody expected from a group that started when JFK was president. They seemed on the verge of death many times in the past, and it’ll never be the same without Charlie Watts, but the Rolling Stones proved tonight that there’s at least one more great chapter to come before this whole saga wraps up.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: dkwalika ()
Date: October 20, 2023 15:10

Stones in NYC week of October 16
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 20, 2023 15:18

Rolling Stones Joined by Lady Gaga at Surprise New York Club Show

By Jem Aswad
October 19, 2023

Kevin Mazur

News arrived gradually of the Rolling Stones’ special celebration in New York of their new album, “Hackney Diamonds.”

First it was a “Rolling Stones event on the evening of Oct. 19,” then it was an album-release party, and then rumors spread that they were going to perform “a couple of songs, but with the boys, you never know” (yes, the person quoted actually called them “the boys”). Then word was they would play 25 minutes for 500 people at Racket, a Chelsea venue that used to be called the High Line (that sound you’re hearing is New York music fans over the age of 30 saying, “Oooooh, yeah, I remember that place”). And an hour before the announced 8 p.m. start time, the multiple sound trucks and barriers and security lining West 16th and 17th streets confirmed that something major was happening at this “party.”

And major it was — after opening with their 1978 New York City anthem “Shattered,” the Stones played several songs from the new album interspersed with a chugging version of “Tumblin’ Dice” and concluding the main set with “Jumpin’ Jack Flash,” before returning for the encore with guest Lady Gaga.

Clad in towering platform heels and a sparkling, half-maroon/ half-black bellbottomed jumpsuit, she joined the group for “Sweet Sound of Heaven,” the penultimate track on the new album, which finds her doing a soaring counterpart to Jagger’s lead vocal. On the album it verges on overblown, but it’s a different story seeing her and Jagger duetting, smiling and egging each other on.

Among those in attendance were Daniel Craig, Mary Kate Olsen, Chris Rock, Jimmy Fallon, Trevor Noah, Taylor Hill, Rachel Weisz, Christie Brinkley, Ed Burns, Keegan-Michael Key, Minka Kelly, Christy Turlington, “Hackney Diamonds” producer Andrew Watt and more, with Elvis Costello and Diana Krall holding down the closest viewing position in the balcony. Questlove DJ’ed both before and after the performance.

As Jagger noted during the set, this show was the latest in a long string of splashy New York announcements, including the group playing on a flatbed truck going down Fifth Avenue (announcing their 1975 tour) and driving across the Brooklyn Bridge (ditto 2004). This night was ostensibly to launch the album, which dropped about 90 minutes after the band left the stage — but also, judging by the fact that they were playing full stream right in front of us, quite possibly another tour.

If that’s the case, the prospects are promising. The group’s impressively lively new album would bring a jolt to their familiar setlist and they were well-rehearsed if not yet tour-tight. Even at 80, Jagger defies biology, incredibly lithe and elastic no matter how deep the wrinkles on his face and neck. His moves were stadium-sized but scaled down for the smaller venue, his signature undulating-X dance and hilariously overexaggerated elastic gestures even more remarkable up close. He took the stage in tight black pants and a brown leather jacket that looked fresh out of the bag, with a patterned black and white shirt that he doffed two songs after he doffed the jacket, revealing a long sleeved skin-tight T-shirt (the sleeves of which he rolled up, rather oddly, one per song).

Keith Richards looks significantly older than Jagger (although anyone would) and his hands have become gnarled due to age and arthritis. But he’s worked his way around it, playing a version of his signature rhythm guitar where the riffs are almost implied — you can feel them even if he’s not playing them, chugging on every other note or adding melodic fills. Ron Wood, the youngster at 76, does the heavy lifting on guitar, watching the others like a hawk, the manager holding it all together musically and also the primary lead guitarist. All three wore orthopedically friendly black sneakers.

Steve Jordan is a powerhouse drummer, playing in homage to the late Charlie Watts — even holding the sticks the way he did at times — but with an energy more R&B than jazz; bassist Daryl Jones, a Stones veteran of some 30 years, is similarly respectful but brings a funk twang and jazz flair. Meanwhile, backing singer Sasha Allen and keyboardist Matt Clifford beef up the vocals, often providing a low-key guide vocal that supports and strengthens Jagger’s lead.

“Hackney Diamonds” closes with a cover of the traditional “Rolling Stone Blues,” which is where the band began 61 years ago. While that might be a signal that it’s the group’s last album, Thursday night’s show suggests that something else might be beginning soon.

[variety.com]

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 20, 2023 15:28

"Meanwhile, backing singer Sasha Allen and keyboardist Matt Clifford beef up the vocals"

The guy is clearly an expert !

And he makes it sound like they have a new "musical director" with Chuck being AWOL !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: October 20, 2023 15:48

hockenheim95
Angry is in a different key than the Studio version
It is indeed half a step down

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 20, 2023 15:51

I am kicking myself for not going into the city yesterday

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: October 20, 2023 15:58

Brooklyn Bridge was 1997

Date: October 20, 2023 16:42

Talked to somebody who tried to get in but didn't.

He said the pop-up store was originally supposed to give out 100 wristbands but ended up giving way less.

Posted by: Putty ()
Date: October 20, 2023 16:53

Will the Racket performance be included in the
Hackney Diamonds making off documentary or that
is already done and being broadcast soon?

Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: October 20, 2023 16:55

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: October 20, 2023 17:25

open-g
hockenheim95
Angry is in a different key than the Studio version
It is indeed half a step down

Do I hear Darryl tuned down to Eb on the low string? That sounds pretty cool.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 20, 2023 17:27

ProfessorWolf
anyone else notice how energetic and alert ronnie was compared to the last few years?

seems he's fully recovered from his bout with cancer

I was thinking exactly the same thing, he was right on it, great to see, what a survivor he is.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: October 20, 2023 17:28

To me that’s the best live Shattered they have ever done by far.

Posted by: rollingrichard ()
Date: October 20, 2023 17:39

Were there any IORRians in ?
BV, were you in ? If there is someone Who deserteurs to be in x than it's you, with all the hard you have done and still are doing !!

Date: October 20, 2023 17:48

rollingrichard
Were there any IORRians in ?

I know of at least one, but maybe it's best to let them tell about it themselves.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 20, 2023 18:11

wiredallnight

Thanks, at last Angry with in decent quality sound where you get to hear the overall "sound" and the "flubs" of the first clips are less noticeable. Chanel complements Mick really well on the chorus, I hope they keep her for the tour.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: angee ()
Date: October 20, 2023 18:14

Sasha is in the Broadway production of MJ (Michael Jackson) now, as reported earlier.

Congrats to all who made it in!!!

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 20, 2023 18:20

Another picture from NYC, Oct. 19th:

Large picture from USA Today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-20 22:10 by Irix.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 20, 2023 18:32

stanlove

Come on, be serious...

[youtu.be]

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: October 20, 2023 18:49

Amazing that they can still pull it off at their age, Kudos l do have a silly question is that a wig on Mick? It looks great.......

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 20, 2023 19:03

ProfessorWolf
pro shot footage of ssoh

Thank you!

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: October 20, 2023 19:14

powerage78
stanlove

Come on, be serious...

[youtu.be]
I have heard that before.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: October 20, 2023 19:57

JuanTCB
CindyC
JuanTCB
I can confirm that Darryl and Tim are at Racket.

Hey Juan! Long time no see! Are you there?
I was going to fly in but heard it was only industry/media being allowed in.
Now i'm kinda kicking myself for not making the trip.

If you're there, have a great time!

Cindy! How's it going??? All good on my end. I stopped by the pop-up shop this afternoon and then figured I'd just go check out the scene at Racket. Didn't get in but had a blast hanging out for a few hours and then listening through the front door out in the middle of the street. Not the first time I've done that and hopefully not the last! But great seeing you here - hope you're well!

sometimes the hanging out is the best part! Glad you had fun in spite of not getting in. Things good here on the North Shore. Moved to Marblehead recently. Nice commute along the ocean now.

Posted by: gipsy12 ()
Date: October 20, 2023 19:58

ProfessorWolf
pro shot footage of ssoh

Just great !!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 27

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1982
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home