Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7
Re: Opening acts
Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: October 15, 2023 19:48

Mostly, I enjoy watching opening acts, even if I don't like their music. The waiting time goes by quicker. Leon Bridges, whose music I loved at the time, had a great performance in Arnhem, but the mix was awful.

BUT, having been to the first three No Filter shows in 2017, I have to say that Kaleo were pure torture. In Hamburg, I just didn't like what I heard and the pretentiousness of the singer got on my nerves. In Munich, I knew what was to come so that made it worse. In Spielberg, I was able to sing along to these dreadful songs and I already knew which dreadful song was to follow, so that made it almost unbearable winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-15 19:48 by MonkeyMan2000.

Opening Acts
Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: December 5, 2023 19:49

Why have the Stones also been so big on opening acts? They have always used them and some times more than one and many if not most times they use big name opening acts. I mean why have Journey and George Thorogood play before you?

It always seemed like an awful idea. You have fans sitting around listening to other music while many are getting high and drunk, after hours of music often makes the Stones not as exciting. I did the opening acts thing once when seeing the Stones and that was enough. So many times you hear from people who went and saw the Stones but ended up liking other acts better. Don’t get it, as far as I know there are no other acts who are so big on it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-05 20:09 by stanlove.

Re: Opening Acts
Posted by: kkhoranstoned ()
Date: December 5, 2023 22:03

ana popovic....samantha fish....southern ave....devon allman would make great opening bands.....

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 5, 2023 22:10

I dont really see the problem.

Whats wrong with giving ticket buyers some value for money? Or championing artists that their audience might be otherwise unaware of? (something the Stones have always deserved a lot of credit for)

Not everyone just wants a night out that consists of 2 hours of music. And that makes for a long day, especially in a stadium. Not everyone wants to 'get high and drunk'

And so what if someone ends up liking a support act better? I've done that at several shows by other acts.

Why would anyone prefer them to have a crap opener than a good one? If its a good one - great. Maybe it gets them to up their game

And would people really complain about having acts of the calibre of Stevie Wonder or Ike & Tina Turner on a bill?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-05 23:03 by Gazza.

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: December 5, 2023 22:14

kkhoranstoned
ana popovic....samantha fish....southern ave....devon allman would make great opening bands.....

Samantha Fish is pure class.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: December 5, 2023 22:14

And in Stones history, some open acts have stolen the show...

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-05 22:16 by powerage78.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: December 6, 2023 05:45

bobo
kkhoranstoned

Samantha Fish is pure class.

I got to see her a few times this past summer and she would be great. I stead we will get the Ghost Hounds 6 or 7 times.

A couple more to add. Mike Campbell and the Duerty Knobs, Galactic, Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit, Dumpstafunk, Eric Gales Band. Have seen all of these bands this year and all worthy.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: December 6, 2023 06:24

Whiskey Myers or Tyler Childers would be great too. Or even Moon Taxi!!!

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: December 6, 2023 10:11

Dumpstaphunk would blow The Stones away, even if they got lousy sound like Living Colour did in '89.

I enjoyed Bob Dylan opening at Desert trip (#2), better than The Stones that night.

Bump for Samantha Fish. Seen her twice now and she's always captivating.

Posted by: petewasbristol ()
Date: December 6, 2023 10:34

I have never had an issue with bands having opening acts. In fact I don't like it when bigger acts don't include up and coming artists on their line up. Hopefully for the North America leg there will be some wonderful opening acts that deserve the opportunity to show their talent.

Re: Opening acts Tour 2024
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 6, 2023 13:08

Support acts could appear be chosen on the same basis that the setlist is compiled...

They often appeal more to the mainstream audience rather than to we hardcore Stones fans.

Edited to add...

..but not always .

The support act I probably enjoyed most down the years was Primal Scream at Twickers on the Licks tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-06 13:15 by Spud.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 6, 2023 15:00

DGA35
umakmehrd
I remember a young Johnny Lang in vancouver
Bonnie Raitt Vancouver
Dave Matthews seattle
J Giles seattle

Living Colour x 2 in Van 89
Spin Doctors x 2 in Van 94
Johnny Lang in Van 98
Bonnie Raitt in Van 06 - her performance with the Stones is on the Biggest Bang dvd.

Haha...I forgot I saw the Spin Doctors open. I actually still don't remember that, but will take your word for it.

I remember the sound for Living Color being just awful.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 6, 2023 16:26

I'd love to see Drive-by Truckers get a few shows.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: December 6, 2023 18:36

JMARCOU
...Paris 76

Reading this makes my heart jump.

Date: December 6, 2023 19:18

VoodooLounge13
Whiskey Myers or Tyler Childers would be great too. Or even Moon Taxi!!!
Tyler Childers has shows at MSG in the same week.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: December 6, 2023 19:30

Hoping for Mastodon in Atlanta as they are a local band. Probably highly unlikely due to them being heavier than any other Stones opener, as far as I know.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-06 19:35 by NashvilleBlues.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: December 6, 2023 19:41

I second the DBT suggestion!!

Posted by: dimtim ()
Date: December 6, 2023 20:24

Who can forget Guns and Roses at LA Coliseum around 1990 when they argued the whole show and led to the band breaking up at the time I believe.

Seen many opening acts over the many shows I have seen some great like The Meters, J. Geils, Santana in the rain in San Diego, Bob Dylan, Bonnie Raitt, etc.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: December 6, 2023 21:03

Here are all my opening acts:

The Strokes
Sheryl Crow
Goo Goo Dolls
Black Eyed Peas
Maroon 5
Beck
Metric
The Charlatans
Alice Cooper
Kanye West
St. Paul & the Broken Bones
The Ghost Hounds

Only one I didn't catch was Alanis Morrisette in Albany '05 because my first Ex refused to go see her if she had to 'suffer' thru another Stones show. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 6, 2023 23:30

VoodooLounge13
Here are all my opening acts:

The Strokes
Sheryl Crow
Goo Goo Dolls
Black Eyed Peas
Maroon 5
Beck
Metric
The Charlatans
Alice Cooper
Kanye West
St. Paul & the Broken Bones
The Ghost Hounds

Only one I didn't catch was Alanis Morrisette in Albany '05 because my first Ex refused to go see her if she had to 'suffer' thru another Stones show. eye rolling smiley

Sounds like an evil ex I had. We went to the Bowie/NIN tour (Outside) & she complained about Bowie not doing the hits for the whole show. IMHO it might have been the best comcert I've ever seen out of hundreds. I should've paid attention to the bad sign.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: December 6, 2023 23:52

I know many people here actually hate DMB but I saw them open at the Hannover Expo in 1998 for the Stones and I really liked it a lot.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: December 7, 2023 02:22

Sheryl Crow was a great opener. Pearl Jam opened in Oakland and man did they suck.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 7, 2023 02:45

Black Pumas would be great

Date: December 7, 2023 03:05

I have heard they argued at every concert.

I am not a fan.

dimtim
Who can forget Guns and Roses at LA Coliseum around 1990 when they argued the whole show and led to the band breaking up at the time I believe.

Seen many opening acts over the many shows I have seen some great like The Meters, J. Geils, Santana in the rain in San Diego, Bob Dylan, Bonnie Raitt, etc.

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: December 7, 2023 11:51

Charley Crockett in Houston would be great. Nathaniel Rateliff and The Night Sweats are terrific. Have them open somewhere besides Denver this tour. Samantha Fish is a good call. Lukas Nelson & POTR. I like Sierra Ferrell but not sure it’s a good gig for her. Lucinda Williams. Don’t need to see the Ghosthounds anymore.

Opening Bands on the upcoming tour...
Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: February 23, 2024 20:00

ant thoughts/guess on who they'll have??

id love no opening act, especially if my LDs turn into pit tix (the extra 2 hours of jockeying for positions down there sucked at my last show!), but im sure that will not be the case!

Back when Kanye opened for them in NJ, i stayed in the parking lot for a couple extra drinks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-23 20:02 by HalfNanker.

Re: Opening Bands on the upcoming tour...
Posted by: keefmick ()
Date: February 23, 2024 21:17

Unfortunately it seems like they have had opening acts for a long while now.

Date: February 23, 2024 21:25

Ghost Hounds. Always Ghost Hounds. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: jimpietryga1 ()
Date: February 23, 2024 22:04

We dont know how new Ghost Hounds will be...

Date: February 23, 2024 22:17

jimpietryga1
We dont know how new Ghost Hounds will be...

What?

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2021
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home