Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Any from-the-vault material with Brian Jones?
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: October 10, 2023 11:42

Like a Brian Jones-Ronnie Wood version of the Stones...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-10 17:45 by bv.

Re: Any from-the-wault material with Brian Jones they could use now?
Date: October 10, 2023 12:10

The Joker
Like a Brian Jones version of the Stones...

Would be great if, but what about the cash-flow?

Re: Any from-the-wault material with Brian Jones they could use
Posted by: Scooby ()
Date: October 10, 2023 12:38

Does Klein’s company still own the rights to recordings from back then? If there were any unreleased gems you can bet ABKCO would have released them a long time ago.

Date: October 10, 2023 13:39

Scooby
Does Klein’s company still own the rights to recordings from back then? If there were any unreleased gems you can bet ABKCO would have released them a long time ago.

We heard the brilliant She's Doing Her Thing from the Fully Finished Studio Outtakes. Blood Red Wine as well I'm sure there are others. I'm A Country Boy springs to mind.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Barkerboy2 ()
Date: October 10, 2023 14:20

She's Doing Her Thing is an absolute banger. How they let that one slip through the net is beyond me!

Date: October 10, 2023 14:45

DandelionPowderman
Scooby

We heard the brilliant She's Doing Her Thing from the Fully Finished Studio Outtakes. Blood Red Wine as well I'm sure there are others. I'm A Country Boy springs to mind.

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks. It s a beauty.... Didn't know it..

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: October 10, 2023 17:25

It’s up to The Stones themselves. ABKCO can’t release any vault material without the band’s approvement. The last time it was up for consideration was with the 50th anniversary of Let It Bleed, which had vault material up for release and the band gave their blessings to. However, Jody Klein backed out as he didn’t want to pay for tape-copying…

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 10, 2023 17:32

Blueranger
It’s up to The Stones themselves. ABKCO can’t release any vault material without the band’s approvement. The last time it was up for consideration was with the 50th anniversary of Let It Bleed, which had vault material up for release and the band gave their blessings to. However, Jody Klein backed out as he didn’t want to pay for tape-copying

Interesting. I wonder what could've been up for inclusion? Family and Blood Red Wine date from the Beggars Banquet sessions, don't they? I'd imagine something like 'Downtown Suzie' would've been one of those 'well-known' outtakes selected; unless that's from Beggars Banquet, too! It's been years since I've listened to any of these old outtakes.

Re: Any from-the-vault material with Brian Jones?
Posted by: rbarnes00 ()
Date: October 11, 2023 07:35

Date: October 11, 2023 08:57

Downtown Suzie is officially released.

The blues version of Love In Vain could have been a contender, along with these tracks:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-11 10:20 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 11, 2023 12:34

Blueranger
It’s up to The Stones themselves. ABKCO can’t release any vault material without the band’s approvement. The last time it was up for consideration was with the 50th anniversary of Let It Bleed, which had vault material up for release and the band gave their blessings to. However, Jody Klein backed out as he didn’t want to pay for tape-copying…

What do you mean with tape copying? All available tapes have been transferred to digital format years ago. The issue is that many of the original master tapes are missing.

Mathijs

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 11, 2023 19:11

for the brian years (sort of a personal wishlist)

there's the dozen or so show's that were professionally recorded during tours of england in 1965 and 66 for the gliywi lp and ep

the shows from the olympia theatre in paris in 65-67 (does anyone know what happened to the original tapes and who owns them now?)

oh and this

the 14 songs recorded for radio luxembourg in 1964

footage of there performance at the nme show in 1968

plus the 60th anniversary of there first two albums is next year

be nice to get some super deluxe versions of those

and who know what's still in the vaults that's not circulating

this popped out nowhere a few years ago

a thorough search through nico's website reveals a lot of unverified rumored tracks in sections on studio sessions between 1962 - 1968

and for those who believe that there's no money in releasing these recordings

well was there anymore potential money in releasing the expensive deluxe versions of keith's solo albums that happened none the less?

Date: October 11, 2023 19:34

DandelionPowderman
Downtown Suzie is officially released.

The blues version of Love In Vain could have been a contender, along with these tracks:

You mean Brian Jones instead of Rye Cooder on "Sister Morphine"? winking smiley

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 11, 2023 19:44

ProfessorWolf

there's the dozen or so show's that were professionally recorded during tours of england in 1965 and 66 for the gliywi lp and ep

the shows from the olympia theatre in paris in 65-67 (does anyone know what happened to the original tapes and who owns them now?)

oh and this

a thorough search through nico's website reveals a lot of unverified rumored tracks in sections on studio sessions between 1962 - 1968

well was there anymore potential money in releasing the expensive deluxe versions of keith's solo albums that happened none the less?

Great post, ProfessorWolf; and I fully concur!

When it comes to outtakes, it’s the 60’s material that is definitely of the most interest, for me. I’m not sure I’d part with money for cutting-floor material from any other era, these day’s.

Regarding Tell Me: that must’ve been a contender for Out of Our Heads; that’s that album’s sound, right there. Unfortunately, it’s missing something. I suppose, generally, the Stones - unlike, say, Dylan - have always been reasonable judges in regard to selecting the best works to compile for their releases. Sure, there’s some rather excellent unreleased material, yet everything - to me, at least - sounds as if it the Stones made the correct call. There’s exceptions, I’m sure, which someone - maybe you! - will point out, probably!

Edit: ‘Try Me’!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-11 19:45 by Big Al.

Date: October 11, 2023 20:46

Big Al
ProfessorWolf

oh and this

Great post, ProfessorWolf; and I fully concur!

When it comes to outtakes, it’s the 60’s material that is definitely of the most interest, for me. I’m not sure I’d part with money for cutting-floor material from any other era, these day’s.

Regarding Tell Me: that must’ve been a contender for Out of Our Heads; that’s that album’s sound, right there. Unfortunately, it’s missing something. I suppose, generally, the Stones - unlike, say, Dylan - have always been reasonable judges in regard to selecting the best works to compile for their releases. Sure, there’s some rather excellent unreleased material, yet everything - to me, at least - sounds as if it the Stones made the correct call. There’s exceptions, I’m sure, which someone - maybe you! - will point out, probably!

Edit: ‘Try Me’!

correct!winking smiley

the dirty work outtakes definitely

and lots of unused or unfinished gems from the undercover sessions too

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: October 11, 2023 20:47

not from studio, but there are many radio shows available. Just got me this series complete [www.discogs.com] smiling smiley
quality varies and all are known recordings, but very nice to have smiling smiley

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 11, 2023 20:54

ProfessorWolf

oh and this

Yes, please!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 11, 2023 21:54

ProfessorWolf

oh and this

An example of Mick being too young and inexperienced to cover James Brown, or Otis Redding, Drifters, or the Temptations early on. I was impressed with his much later stage versions of I Can't Turn You Loose and That's How Strong My Love Is.

It was wonderful to get the BBC stuff. But one wonders how much of that kind of material is left. I'm always up to hear Brian play slide.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: October 11, 2023 22:02

Would love Mr. Oldham to chime in this thread.. Maybe something in an old shoe box?

Posted by: sweet things ()
Date: October 11, 2023 22:44

From Interview September, 2023

He once made music with Jones, which has never been released. “I’ve been looking for the tapes,” he says. “Our music preceded Satanic Majesties and that whole direction of psychedelia the Stones went down.”

[www.theguardian.com]

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: October 11, 2023 22:51

Wow! Try Me - what a great song - is pure James Brown. The sound, voice, pauses in the music bring to mind when Brown would stop in a song, fall to his knees, and a band member would come out seeing if he was okay, eventually placing a cape or such on Brown, which he'd shuck off and get back into the song, the crowd going wild. Such showmanship. Wouldn't you love to see Mick do similar in tribute to Brown and those TAMI show days. What a blast such a move would be in a small venue where, probably, half the crowd would be going "What the hell" not knowing squat about James Brown in his glory days and the other half (us olden ones) would be going "cool".

Date: October 11, 2023 23:43

24FPS
ProfessorWolf

An example of Mick being too young and inexperienced to cover James Brown, or Otis Redding, Drifters, or the Temptations early on. I was impressed with his much later stage versions of I Can't Turn You Loose and That's How Strong My Love Is.

It was wonderful to get the BBC stuff. But one wonders how much of that kind of material is left. I'm always up to hear Brian play slide.

yes i agree (though i still love there versions of those songs!) it wasn't until 68-69 that his voice was able to do real justice to these kind of songs

but there is still a certain charm to his attempts early on at them

and the band behind him is pretty good at leastwinking smiley

also mr. pitiful

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-11 23:49 by ProfessorWolf.

Date: October 12, 2023 00:15

I personally think anything from the Brian era will sell better than remaster/ outtakes of anything since Tattoo You.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 12, 2023 00:22

Chess Studio Chicago ----- 8 November 1964

ROCKMAN

Date: October 12, 2023 04:58

just off the top of my head

get yourself together

looking tired

trouble in mind (With Kazzoos!)

stewed and keefed

meet me in the bottom

hi heeled sneakers

tell me baby

goodbye girl

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-12 05:02 by ProfessorWolf.

Date: October 12, 2023 12:40

ProfessorWolf
just off the top of my head

get yourself together

looking tired

trouble in mind (With Kazzoos!)

stewed and keefed

meet me in the bottom

hi heeled sneakers

tell me baby

goodbye girl

Thanks a lot Professor! Nice goodies!

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: October 12, 2023 17:58

[youtu.be]

Never heard it before...a little amazing gem.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: October 12, 2023 18:11

sweet things
From Interview September, 2023

He once made music with Jones, which has never been released. “I’ve been looking for the tapes,” he says. “Our music preceded Satanic Majesties and that whole direction of psychedelia the Stones went down.”

[www.theguardian.com]

“It ruins your high range”

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 12, 2023 18:19

HardRiffin
[youtu.be]

Never heard it before...a little amazing gem.
Isn’t this proof he could write music.Mick could have taken this and added lyrics.The music could have been worked up more into a song

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 13, 2023 11:47

Rockman

Chess Studio Chicago ----- 8 November 1964

Without Brian.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1976
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home