Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Where is Ian Stuart to be seen onstage in the early live video performances?
Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: October 2, 2023 16:13

I wonder how this happened, as the Stones toured in the 60s and 70s when they worked with smaller settings than stadium stages.
He could not have been hidden behind or under the stage.
So where is he? Or did he play only occasionally ??

Re: Where is Ian Stuart to be seen onstage in the early live video performances?
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 2, 2023 16:32

RawIguanaCologne
I wonder how this happened, as the Stones toured in the 60s and 70s when they worked with smaller settings than stadium stages.
He could not have been hidden behind or under the stage.
So where is he? Or did he play only occasionally ??

Ian Stewart first started appearing on stage on piano on the 1969 tour on the Berry tracks. He would appear occasionally on selected tracks (the Berry numbers, Brown Sugar, Honky Tonk Woman) on all tours until 1981 where he would be the main piano player together with Ian McLagan).

Mathijs

Re: Where is Ian Stuart to be seen onstage in the early live video performances?
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 2, 2023 22:57

There's pics of the 6 Stones on stage during the club days but I don't think there's any videos from pre 69.
Look at the TAMI show, they didn't even show Bill during the first song!

Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: October 3, 2023 11:36

I don’t think there is any film of him on stage pre 1969.....but I haven’t checked Charlie Is My Darling.....I believe he used to play in the wings (edge of stage but out of sight of most of the audience).

You could also explore the NME Poll Winners concert footage from 1965, that was a big wide and deep stage and he may just possibly be at the back, he was certainly present setting up.

However I can confirm I saw him playing an upright piano in the wings at Rugby, England in March 1965.

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: October 3, 2023 13:25

Even if he's not playing, here's the piano and at 2.26 Stu (imo) sitting next to it. NME Pollwinners 1964:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: October 3, 2023 13:49

Kingbeebuzz
I don’t think there is any film of him on stage pre 1969.....but I haven’t checked Charlie Is My Darling.....I believe he used to play in the wings (edge of stage but out of sight of most of the audience).

You could also explore the NME Poll Winners concert footage from 1965, that was a big wide and deep stage and he may just possibly be at the back, he was certainly present setting up.

However I can confirm I saw him playing an upright piano in the wings at Rugby, England in March 1965.

As far as I understood it Stu refused to play minor chords.That matters about half the repertoire anyway.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 3, 2023 14:56

TheflyingDutchman

As far as I understood it Stu refused to play minor chords.That matters about half the repertoire anyway.

The statement is a complete fabrication.

Mathijs

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: October 3, 2023 15:52

Mathijs
TheflyingDutchman

Mathijs

I think this idea originated from Keith. Although I vaguely remember reading something like this in an interview with Jim Dickinson.

Date: October 3, 2023 16:16

Mathijs
TheflyingDutchman

Mathijs

Absolutely, and certainly from a musical point of view the subject makes no sense at all, because an Amin7 is an inversion of a Cmaj6. I like the fun factor of the subject though.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: October 3, 2023 19:08

very interesting topic.

RawIguanaCologne could be please correct the Family name in the thread title ?

Stu's spirit and all the musicians behind or close to the curtains will show you respect for that.

Re: Where is Ian Stewart to be seen onstage in the early live video performances?
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 3, 2023 19:27

djgab
very interesting topic.

RawIguanaCologne could be please correct the Family name in the thread title ?

Stu's spirit and all the musicians behind or close to the curtains will show you respect for that.

Yes please.

Date: October 3, 2023 20:25

TheflyingDutchman
Mathijs
TheflyingDutchman

Mathijs

Absolutely, and certainly from a musical point of view the subject makes no sense at all, because an Amin7 is an inversion of a Cmaj6. I like the fun factor of the subject though.

see around 14:20 on this clip - this may be the origin of the story
[www.youtube.com]

Date: October 3, 2023 21:31

MartinB
TheflyingDutchman
Mathijs
TheflyingDutchman

Mathijs

see around 14:20 on this clip - this may be the origin of the story

Thank You. Damn, all the dreams I had. Someone should have told Stu he could have played a Dmaj6/B instead of a Bmin. Problem of Stu's minor fobia solved. angry smiley

Posted by: sbetz ()
Date: October 4, 2023 05:31

Ian Stewart. He plays on 'No Minor Keys' by Blues 'N' Trouble.

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: October 4, 2023 05:51

Wow great Dickinson interview

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: October 4, 2023 12:24

Mathijs
TheflyingDutchman

Mathijs

I'm less certain about that than you are. I have a strong hunch that the minor chord thing is written about in "Stone Alone". Give me several days and I'll try to check it one way or another.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: LiveAtHidepark ()
Date: October 4, 2023 13:08

CaptainCorella
Mathijs
TheflyingDutchman

Mathijs

I'm less certain about that than you are. I have a strong hunch that the minor chord thing is written about in "Stone Alone". Give me several days and I'll try to check it one way or another.

Stu plays organ on "Time is on my side" studio versions. E minor during intro and verses.

Date: October 4, 2023 14:41

CaptainCorella
Mathijs
TheflyingDutchman

Mathijs

Not everything in Stone Alone is accurate.

Date: October 4, 2023 14:51

DandelionPowderman
CaptainCorella
Mathijs
TheflyingDutchman

Mathijs

I don't think it means "absolutely no minor chords ever". But clearly Stu was able to choose what not play if he did not like it.

Posted by: matsumoto33 ()
Date: October 4, 2023 16:46

I think it was mentioned in the Stanley Booth book (‘I raise me ‘ands in protest’)

Date: October 4, 2023 16:48

MartinB
DandelionPowderman
CaptainCorella
Mathijs
TheflyingDutchman

Mathijs

I don't think it means "absolutely no minor chords ever". But clearly Stu was able to choose what not play if he did not like it.

Indeed, but it's hard to play blues without touching into any minor chords smiling smiley

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 4, 2023 17:28

According to Dickinson sounds like Bill and Keith weren’t getting along

Date: October 4, 2023 18:48

Taylor1
According to Dickinson sounds like Bill and Keith weren’t getting along

And Mick Taylor didn't speak for three days.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1725
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home