Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829Next
Current Page: 25 of 29
Re: Sweet Sounds of Heaven - Track Talk
Posted by: Topi ()
Date: October 8, 2023 15:42

Irix

Saw this here - [iorr.org] winking smiley

Glad you saw your own post! winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-08 16:52 by Topi.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 8, 2023 16:10

Topi

Glad you saw your own post!

But I've never posted on Facebook. winking smiley

Date: October 8, 2023 16:15

Irix
Topi

Glad you saw your own post!

But I've never posted on Facebook. winking smiley

I didn't think your name was Martin Elliott winking smiley

But did you see this? [iorr.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-08 16:27 by Topi.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 8, 2023 16:20

Topi

Did you see this?

Yes, but this is not Facebook.

Date: October 8, 2023 16:27

Irix
Topi

Did you see this?

Yes, but this is not Facebook.

Exactly. I wasn't talking about Facebook. Again, glad you saw your own post right here! winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-08 20:43 by Topi.

Date: October 9, 2023 01:22

regarding prior posts about internet followers of the stones vs the famous 60s group.

The music by the band of Liverpool is easy to hear. So it is aligned with the contemporary "right now/no effort" trend. Everything must be a click away.Specially in young people who do not tolerate anything bigger than 140 characters. Obladi Oblada.

Stones music is very demanding for the listener. It never grabs you in the beginning. So it goes against the way things work nowadays. This would be a reason why there might be in internet more young followers of that sixties band (spotify and so on).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-09 01:39 by emotionalbarbecue.

Posted by: CrosseyedHeart ()
Date: October 9, 2023 07:11

Number 19 on the Official Charts.

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: October 9, 2023 07:48

CrosseyedHeart

Sales chart, not the big one. On the sales chart Angry is still above SSOH

Re: "Sweet Sounds of Heaven"- with Lady Gaga and Stevie Wonder - due out Sep 28
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 9, 2023 10:00

The Joker
I like the song, but it misses a Taylor-like guitar part...

Spot on. It’s not a bad song but to evoke the ghosts of Main Street it needs a touch of Mick Taylor. I wouldve mixed the vocals to sound more like Exile too.

Maybe something for an AI remix.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 9, 2023 10:09

Redhotcarpet
The Joker

Spot on. It’s not a bad song but to evoke the ghosts of Main Street it needs a touch of Mick Taylor. I wouldve mixed the vocals to sound more like Exile too.

I said words to that effect and got crucified by a few resident trolls, how do you manage to say these things without attacks friend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-09 10:11 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: October 9, 2023 12:26

CrosseyedHeart

So what are "Official Charts" now? Which country?

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: October 9, 2023 12:27

hockenheim95
CrosseyedHeart

Its the UK charts, but its only on the sales chart, below Angry btw.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 9, 2023 14:55

Redhotcarpet
The Joker

If you want 2023 Stones to sound like Exile, just listen to Exile. Are YOU exactly as you were in 1972? Or have you evolved into something different, that is still recognisable as you? Like, to me, the new tracks sound like from The Stones. Recognisable as the Stones, thanks to a valid reference to the past, yet with a sound as they are today.

Rod

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 9, 2023 15:05

hockenheim95
CrosseyedHeart

I checked the Official Charts. that is, the numbers based on my listening habits, and it was clearly last week's number one... "Angry" still doing fine, too. Number two.

Mrs. Doxa starts be to tired, though. She said those are great songs for sure, but, you know, could we listen something else for a change? grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-09 15:09 by Doxa.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 9, 2023 15:07

Some folks, I think, simply prefer the Stones to sound a bit less "HiFI" than in the "modern era" .

We kind of liked the murky mixes where you had to struggle to make out what Mick was singing, or how many guitars there were.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 9, 2023 16:33

Spud
Some folks, I think, simply prefer the Stones to sound a bit less "HiFI" than in the "modern era" .

We kind of liked the murky mixes where you had to struggle to make out what Mick was singing, or how many guitars there were.

Yeah, true. Who wouldn't have liked? Some of that is best recorded rock music ever done.

But yeah, if one would try to repeat that now again, some half a century later - trying to follow those mixing and production policies - it would not be that sure if the result would be that tasty again. What worked back then, might not work now. So much have changed. The technology, the people, In the worst scenario, the result might pretty artificial or even terrible. The Stones trying to sound like they once did. Failing bad there, but also failing bad in comparison to the contemporary music.

Probably that would go to the same 'turning the clock back' nostalgy as thinking that 'Hey, let us lock up Mick and Keith into kitchen again' or 'let Keith rent a villa from Southern France, and let's load the place full of drugs' and the magic will happen again.

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-09 16:47 by Doxa.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 9, 2023 17:01

Georgelicks was correct: Sweet Sounds of Heaven has failed to chart on any nation’s main singles-chart, with the exception of the Netherlands, where it’s registered at a lowly #86.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 9, 2023 17:09

I'd be happy if the industry would just knock that awful and lazy "brick wall" mastering on the head...

...so that recorded performances would once again have some natural dynamics and a bit of light and shade.

[Won't happen of course, because they cater for the lowest common denominator...

... on the basis that most folks listen via Smart Speakers, mobile devices or, for the vinyl, typically woeful cheap plastic turntables.]

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: October 9, 2023 20:03

Big Al
Georgelicks was correct: Sweet Sounds of Heaven has failed to chart on any nation’s main singles-chart, with the exception of the Netherlands, where it’s registered at a lowly #86.

It will chart next week after the physical release!

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: October 10, 2023 03:34

Big Al

That means that at least three people bothered... winking smiley

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 10, 2023 12:12

bitusa2012
Redhotcarpet
The Joker

If you want 2023 Stones to sound like Exile, just listen to Exile. Are YOU exactly as you were in 1972? Or have you evolved into something different, that is still recognisable as you? Like, to me, the new tracks sound like from The Stones. Recognisable as the Stones, thanks to a valid reference to the past, yet with a sound as they are today.

I think they had that muddy Exile sound already in 1964. Jagger’s style changed during their pop-era in -66. Maybe I just miss his more raw, ”black” style of singing.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: October 10, 2023 15:54

The Worst.

And the guy in the middle with the big hairdo could be Don Was on a visit in the studio.

Yes. Good catch. Could very much be true. And they erased his track? And replaced it with another Stevie track?

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: October 10, 2023 18:01

Got mail from "Platenzaak.nl" the vinyl and cd single are on their way. hot smiley

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: October 10, 2023 20:23

What is making the thump that comes out of the right speaker just as the LP version of SSOH starts? It is absent on the edit version.

Posted by: Rosto ()
Date: October 10, 2023 22:34

GJV
Got mail from "Platenzaak.nl" the vinyl and cd single are on their way. hot smiley

Me too.
Tomorrow delivery

Let it rock!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 11, 2023 23:01

Did some closer listening today and noticed a strange "punch in" at 3'36" in the "Lyric Video" version [youtu.be] - the second "Play it Loud", doesn't sound like Mick, could it be Stevie ?

It reminds me the odd "punch in" in Melody a "well I say" that doesn't blend in well at all.

I also couldn't help but wonder how Charlie would have played on this, it would likely very different than Steve's massive straight "thumping" throughout. While it works well on material like "Angry" he could use a bit of subtlety and "swing" here, no ? Charlie's drumming on "Dreams To Remember" is so delightful and playful...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 11, 2023 23:09

it is Stevie Wonder

Date: October 12, 2023 00:30

Ok, hadn't seen it discussed before, just that he might be the one talking in the coda.
Does he sing anything else?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 12, 2023 00:48

Actually I think that moment is the only one where he is (to my ears) perfectly audible. It is one of the many highlights of the song imo, love that

Date: October 12, 2023 01:44

A bit of an easter egg, no ;-)

--------------

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829Next
Current Page: 25 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1877
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home