Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 29
Re: "Sweet Sounds of Heaven"- with Lady Gaga and Stevie Wonder - due out Sep 28
Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: September 29, 2023 17:37

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
SomeGuy
MisterO
Definitely like it a lot. But I do miss the days when we couldn't look up the lyrics. Trying to figure out what Mick said and getting other peoples interpretations was part of the fun!

Since Black And Blue every Stones album came with a lyric sheet (Blue And Lonesome didn't, though, or maybe only the limited edition).

Did Undercover come with lyric sheets?

Tattoo You? Some Girls? Emotional Rescue?

No.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 29, 2023 17:41

keefriffhards
treaclefingers
Spud
Mathijs
DeeGee
Mathijs
roller99
Irix
DeeGee

AND: how did you come to hear this album?

He's a journalist and has probably signed a 'Non-Disclosure Agreement' (NDA). Same for [www.TheTimes.co.uk] when they wrote: "I’ve heard Hackney Diamonds. It’s the best Rolling Stones album since 1978".

Exactly. I don’t consider Tattoo You to be an album of new material, a portion was leftovers from Some Girls.

Tattoo You was a new album as only the backing tracks from their back catalogue was used, all vocals and many overdubs were new, as were mixing and mastering.

Mathijs

Yes, but not completely new written tracks what I believe is what Rollerman meant

Then Exile also wasn't a new album when it came out...

Mathijs

Yep,

On that basis , they've never made a new album in their lives .

There's always something left over, marinating from the last campaign or two, that's worth a quick polish for the next one.

It's staggering to me on a 'fan board' how many people are out there wanting to take 'their band' down a notch or two. Doesn't matter how good it is always someone ready to bitch about something.

Ha...I'm the one bitching now!

Better that than a forum of yes men, the Stones have gone to greater heights because of demand for something a bit special.

Frankly in your bitterness and desire to malign one half of the glimmer twins I don't think you'd recognize 'something a bit special' if it hit you between the eyes.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 29, 2023 17:42

claudine

Can you find HQ version of Angry? cool smiley

What Irix cannot find we do not need! winking smiley

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: September 29, 2023 17:55

MelBelli
DandelionPowderman
SomeGuy
MisterO
Definitely like it a lot. But I do miss the days when we couldn't look up the lyrics. Trying to figure out what Mick said and getting other peoples interpretations was part of the fun!

Since Black And Blue every Stones album came with a lyric sheet (Blue And Lonesome didn't, though, or maybe only the limited edition).

I don’t think lyrics were included until Dirty Work.

My copies of Black and Blue and Tattoo You came with a lyrics sheet, Emotional Rescue had them printed on the inner sleeve. My copy of Undercover has no lyrics. Maybe the inclusion or exclusion of a lyrics sheet depended on the region?

edit: Not sure about Some Girls. I bought the LP when it came out, but I believe my copy came without lyrics. I don't have the LP handy right now so I can't check.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-29 18:04 by doitywoik.

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: September 29, 2023 17:58

My (second hand) copy of Undercover here in the U.K. has a lyric sheet

Date: September 29, 2023 18:06

I also have seen a copy of ER in the mid-80s with a blank inner sleeve.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: September 29, 2023 18:07

doitywoik
MelBelli
DandelionPowderman
SomeGuy
MisterO

My copies of Black and Blue and Tattoo You came with a lyrics sheet, Emotional Rescue had them printed on the inner sleeve. My copy of Undercover has no lyrics. Maybe the inclusion or exclusion of a lyrics sheet depended on the region?

edit: Not sure about Some Girls. I bought the LP when it came out, but I believe my copy came without lyrics. I don't have the LP handy right now so I can't check.

Interesting! By the time I was able to buy records on my own, we were in the Steel Wheels era. The CD reissues of Black and Blue, SG, ER, TY, and Undercover did not include lyrics.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 29, 2023 18:09

Breaking:

Sweet Sounds of Heaven top 10 on I Tunes

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: September 29, 2023 18:13

Haven’t been able to find credits for who are playing the horns? Anyone know?

Posted by: angee ()
Date: September 29, 2023 18:23

I'm pretty sure it's just "Lady Gaga."

[www.britannica.com]

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: September 29, 2023 18:28

3ddie
I really like it till the break when the Gaga starts squealing. The single version that blends it out meet my taste though it leaves out the groovy part with Stevie Wonder's piano - but better not to hear the Gaga. Chanelle Haynes would have been the better choice to sing on this.
I know the Gaga is better to adress a bigger - and younger - audience, but hell, in that last two minutes she is overacting.
I'm not sure if I like the distorted guitars.
Nevertheless it's a great song.

I feel similarly. I think Lady G did a good job but her voice (i.e. the way her voice sounds) does not quite fit the song. Anyway, it is what it is and it's OK. I heard the short version first and could listen to the long version only today. I'm among those who clearly perfer the long version.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 29, 2023 18:32

Dunno, I think her voice sounds pretty "heavenly", espcially striking when she joins in on the second verse.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Dorn ()
Date: September 29, 2023 19:17

gotdablouse
Looks like someone listened to "Fully Finished Outtakes" on their way to Jamaica ;-)

"I've Got Dreams to Remember"

[youtu.be]

i just listened to the new tune for the first time full length and i immediately had the same thoughts: i know this from somewhere.
a bit slower than DREAMS but a great song (even with Gaga)

Posted by: z ()
Date: September 29, 2023 19:24

MelBelli
doitywoik
MelBelli
DandelionPowderman
SomeGuy
MisterO

Interesting! By the time I was able to buy records on my own, we were in the Steel Wheels era. The CD reissues of Black and Blue, SG, ER, TY, and Undercover did not include lyrics.

Undercover did come with a lyrics sheet.
And a subscription flyer to Beggars Banquet magazine.

Date: September 29, 2023 19:38

z
MelBelli
doitywoik
MelBelli
DandelionPowderman
SomeGuy
MisterO

Was Tie You Up censored? smiling smiley

Posted by: z ()
Date: September 29, 2023 19:58

DandelionPowderman
z
MelBelli
doitywoik
MelBelli
DandelionPowderman
SomeGuy
MisterO

Was Tie You Up censored? smiling smiley

No.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: September 29, 2023 19:58

I dont have head phones. Is Keith playing power chords somewhere in there? When the music really takes off? Or are there overdubs deep down in the mix? I can hear his licks now and then when the music is not so busy...Just wondering. Yes, it´s very touching, this song - love it.

Posted by: Chester ()
Date: September 29, 2023 20:04

z
MelBelli
doitywoik
MelBelli
DandelionPowderman
SomeGuy
MisterO

Speaking of lyrics ...

Just an awesome song. Clearly, their best in decades.

One thing kind of bugs me though: Gaga slightly flubs a couple lyrics.

Mick sings: "Laugh, cry, eat the bread, drink the wine.''
She answers: "Laugh, die, eat the bread, drink the wine.''

Right after Stevie Wonder's solo at the end she breaks in with "I smell the sweet sounds'' instead of "I hear the sweet sounds.''

Minor and trivial, I know, but it still catches my ear.

Posted by: rockerparis ()
Date: September 29, 2023 20:16

New promo Pic from Mark Seliger for the single

We did the same in July

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: September 29, 2023 21:01

snoopy2
Haven’t been able to find credits for who are playing the horns? Anyone know?

James King - sax
Ron Blake - trumpet

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 29, 2023 21:15

DandelionPowderman
padre69
Is it Keith again on bass? The lead guitar does not sound like Keith, it’s more like Ronnie or Waddy.

Keith left, Ronnie right. They both play lead/rhythm. Mick adds to the power chords towards the end and in the coda.

Great song. (I have only heard the long version, I am sure it's better than the shorter one)
But how can you hear which guitar is Keith and which is Ronnie? I thought Keith was the one on the right. But mainly because he was more dominant in the mix.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: September 29, 2023 21:21

Somg is great, but if this song was basically written in 1982, how is it a new song and any different than songs like Plundered My Soul ,which was written in 1972 but Mick then added to it in 2009?

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: September 29, 2023 21:22

Like Angry it just gets better on each listen.Another Stones classic.Brilliant.
Ga Ga and Stones= Lobster and champagne

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: September 29, 2023 21:34

Ecstatic review from the Times - 5 stars

Cut and paste for those who can't get past the paywall

The Rolling Stones: Sweet Sounds of Heaven review — a jam session for the gods
The new single, featuring Lady Gaga and Stevie Wonder, is their finest new material for years

Who knew they still had it in them? Sure, the Rolling Stones can still cut it live, but they’ve not come up with a new song this fine for years. Maybe decades. Seven minutes of rapturous gospel rock (there’s a five-minute version but why skimp?), Sweet Sounds of Heaven sounds like a band at the peak of a jam session for the gods: loosened up, euphoric and effortlessly bouncing off each other. And what a band it is. Lady Gaga holds her own against a rejuvenated Mick Jagger on vocals, Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood turn the clock back to their pomp, Steve Jordan impressively replaces Charlie Watts on drums and a certain Stevie Wonder plays sublime piano, Fender Rhodes and Moog synth.
The scale and irresistibly swelling momentum recall You Can’t Always Get What You Want and the lyrics, attributed as ever to Jagger and Richards, are gospel turned up to 11. “Bless the Father, bless the Son, hear the sound of the drums,” sings Jagger, whose vocal cords have seemingly been supercharged at 80. “As it echoes through the valley and it bursts, yeah/ Let no woman or child go hungry tonight/ Please protect us from the pain and the hurt, yeah.” Pious or not, that’s a message we can all get behind.
Taken from their forthcoming album Hackney Diamonds, Sweet Sounds of Heaven was recorded in Los Angeles, London and the Bahamas and that kind of globe-trotting excess often suggests a lack of focus. Not here — everyone is on song and on message. The two special guests have history with the Stones: Wonder toured with them in 1972 and Gaga joined the band on stage in 2012. Both figure prominently on the ecstatic finale: Gaga giving a little laugh before launching into a grandstanding vocal freakout and Wonder cued by Jagger’s “play me something, Stevie” into a twinkle-fingered piano solo.

It’s quite something to limit Wonder, a genius who is used to singing and playing every instrument on his records, to keyboard duty. Yet he did well to park his ego at the door — this is the best thing he, the Stones and Gaga have been involved with for a long time. (Universal)

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: September 29, 2023 21:38

keefriffhards
powerage78
Impressive performance by Lady Gaga, she can really sing anything.
Mick over sings a bit I think.
Stevie Wonder's touch is precious, subtle, like Nicky Hopkins.
Good long song.

As ludicrous as it is to say ( because this is a masterpiece ) i love this track but it would have been up there with Gimme Shelter had Mick been lower in the mix.
This isn't putting the Mick down but not everyone enjoys his vocals to the extent they tower over the song.

Less is more Mick, as in EOMS.

Try the

vocalremover.org

app. There you can separate the vocals from the music, create a new mix with lower vocals and download the new mix to your PC. You can even download stereo backing tracks without any vocals and the vocal track individually, although I tend to think the latter is obviously not for you (as long as it's Mick on lead, that is!).

Anyway, you're able to configure any Stones music to your personal demand and taste, either without any of Mick's vocals (stereo backing tracks only) or with Mick lower in the mix.

Perfect toy for someone like you, and most important: It's totally free! Plus it will keep you busy for a while - and therefore will save us from your anti-Mick bullshit for quite some time to come...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-29 21:43 by retired_dog.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 29, 2023 21:44

Thanks for The Times piece, Lady Jayne.

Credit to Ed Potton for the review.

[www.thetimes.co.uk]

Date: September 29, 2023 21:46

matxil
DandelionPowderman
padre69
Is it Keith again on bass? The lead guitar does not sound like Keith, it’s more like Ronnie or Waddy.

Keith left, Ronnie right. They both play lead/rhythm. Mick adds to the power chords towards the end and in the coda.

Great song. (I have only heard the long version, I am sure it's better than the shorter one)
But how can you hear which guitar is Keith and which is Ronnie? I thought Keith was the one on the right. But mainly because he was more dominant in the mix.

Because they both have very easily recognisable playing styles smiling smiley

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: September 29, 2023 22:09

It's a damn good tune.

Mick sounds as good as ever at 80. Amazing.

Mix and production sound great and timeless.

The ending of part 2 sound like I've Got The Blues....

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: September 29, 2023 22:22

MelBelli
DandelionPowderman
SomeGuy
MisterO

I have the original lps still and they all have lyrics, from 1976 on. Some had separate sheets (Black And Blue, Some Girls, Tattoo You, Undercover), some had printed inner sleeves (Emotional Rescue, Dirty Work). You can check the Discogs site to see all the various editions that were around at the time.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 29, 2023 22:40

Do we really need to have these endless off-topic discussions with 10 levels of quotes about lyric sheets here ?! Please go start another thread if you're keen on the topic, thanks.

Back to SSOH, am I the only one (pleasantly) reminded of some Pink Floyd songs, especially in the bridge, with a female choir over a lower voice ? Guess Matt's Hammond organ helps too ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-29 23:12 by gotdablouse.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2011
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home