Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Jagger WSJ interview
Posted by: artedm ()
Date: September 26, 2023 16:39

Re: Jagger WSJ interview
Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: September 26, 2023 16:45

It’s behind a paywall. I posted the text in the album thread.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 26, 2023 17:00

MelBelli

It’s behind a paywall.

But you can login at WSJ with Google for free.

Here's the full article - [iorr.org] , [Archive.ph] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-27 19:10 by Irix.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: September 26, 2023 17:06

I’ve done that workaround before. It doesn’t work for everyone every time. Thanks.

Posted by: NathanLaze ()
Date: September 26, 2023 17:11

thanks for the post!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 26, 2023 17:58

MelBelli
I’ve done that workaround before. It doesn’t work for everyone every time. Thanks.

Correct smileys with beer

Was fresh out of the allotted free articles, thanks for posting it!

Date: September 26, 2023 18:26

This method to read the WSJ article works here.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 26, 2023 20:47

great article!! Lots of comparisons with Taylor Swift, so I guess having a Taylor thread on a Stones board ain't so crazy after all! grinning smiley

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 26, 2023 22:40

Is this 2023 or 1983...or is 80 the new 40 ? ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 26, 2023 22:54

Amazing at 80 to drop out new album/s .... Lurv ya Mick

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-27 00:19 by Rockman.

Posted by: Maya0104 ()
Date: September 26, 2023 23:37

“I wanted to have the summer off,” Jagger says with a laugh during a video call from Italy on a sunny day in August, despite speculation about illness or injury.

This tells everything.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 27, 2023 06:09

It's the first time the "subject" was discussed at least. The writer seems to have done some research at least this time...

"The buzz in the music business was that a tour was booked. " - wasn't it a little more than a "buzz" though with a full itinerary booked ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-27 11:03 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 27, 2023 06:48

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-27 06:49 by Rockman.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 27, 2023 10:49

A nice read.

"A happy, healthy Mick Jagger is a happy, healthy Rolling Stones."

So it goes.

- Doxa

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 27, 2023 11:31

gotdablouse
It's the first time the "subject" was discussed at least. The wtiter seems to have done some research at least this time...

"The buzz in the music business was that a tour was booked. " - wasn't it a little more than a "buzz" though with a full itinerary booked ?

It's still a bit odd case. Leaving the injury theory aside, it would have sounded a bit odd that they were making an album and planning a whole scale "Start Me Up" summer tour totally independent of that album at the same time. And they would have the album already in the can and then go tour without that album (that would be released long after the tour). That's really odd, since as Mick claims in the article, part of the new album deal with deadline and everything, was it that they wanted to tour it, like they used to.

To me the most rational explanation is that they thought the album would have been ready to go with the tour. But as that was not technically possible (the vinyl problem) , they tried to postpone the tour into autumn, but then there were not suitable venues available any more.

The conspiracy theorist in me says - now starts the fun part - that the leaked injury theory, if it had any substance (not so sure about it), was a smoke green manouvre that was brought to take them out of any contractual or moral obligations... (of course, another conspiracy theory would say that the claim of the vinyl pressing problem being the reason postponing the release of the album and the tour, was brought to hide the fact that Mick's leg was injured...)

In the end, maybe Mick just didn't feel like touring and wanted to have the summer off.

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-27 11:52 by Doxa.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 27, 2023 12:12

Doxa, I think you're correct in saying something doesn't add up as far as the planned /cancelled tour goes.

If they did have a 14-date tour ready to be announced (and it looks like they did, according to BV and other sources), I don't think "I want to rest up, I don't feel like doing it" works as an out clause.

That said, I obviously have no idea of what kind of clauses the touring contracts contain.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: September 27, 2023 18:39

"'I wanted to have the summer off,” Jagger says with a laugh during a video call from Italy on a sunny day in August, despite speculation about illness or injury.'"

To me, Mick was joking about the summer. I still think he may well have hurt his leg.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: September 27, 2023 19:05

angee

To me, Mick was joking about the summer.

But the WSJ also wrote: "Tackling the album and touring simultaneously would have wiped him out, Jagger says" - [iorr.org] .

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: September 27, 2023 22:48

About the back catalog:

"Maybe it’ll go to charity one day."

W-O-W! That really caught my eye. A wonderful idea, IMHO, but I would have never expected that Mick would ponder such a persepctive ... my deepest respect if they do!

Date: September 28, 2023 12:56

Irix
angee

To me, Mick was joking about the summer.

But the WSJ also wrote: "Tackling the album and touring simultaneously would have wiped him out, Jagger says" - [iorr.org] .

But the album was completed in January and mixed in February ( [iorr.org] ) , so I'm not sure how much tackling there was to do on that in the summer. The tour was scheduled to start on June 6.

On March 8, BV wrote that the rescheduling had nothing to do with the new album: [iorr.org]

On March 21, he added that:

bv
There have been quite a few comments regarding Mick, Keith and Ronnie in the threads related to their recent appearances in London and New York. Several are commenting on health issues, injuries and so on. The fact that you are at a football game, attending an exhibition, or going to a musical, does not say anything about being ready for a tour lasting for two months, with 14 shows across USA and Canada. Still, we are all happy to see Mick, Keith and Ronnie in the public, smiling, enjoying themselves, and being around, of course.

They planned to announce the North America summer tour around Friday Feb 17. That is my understanding. The last two weeks leading up to that date, I got more and more show rumours every day. The complete tour list was ready, everything was ready. A tour is a massive investment worth $10 million or so per show, times 14 shows, so no wonder management, insurance and the band do want everyone to be 100% ready, no chances or risks, before the tour is being announced. There are a bunch of minor still significant reasons for not being 100% ready for a two months tour.

Then, early that week of the actual announcement, I started to get a number of messages from insiders saying they had to reschedule the tour dates, due to reasons I can not share here. Being on tour do mean a lot more than just attending a random event in London or New York. You need to be 100% ready, from the announcement, and all the way until the last show, originally planned for the first week of August.

I don't know how long it will take for them to reschedule, and I don't know if they will be able to use some of the originally scheduled dates at all, but I sure hope they will be able to announce the "new" tour soon, we are all impatient, and we do want to see our favorite band on tour, also in 2023. Patience is the word.

So judging by what BV wrote in March, it would seem that someone in the band was not 100% ready to tour this summer.

I guess you can "do what you want with this rumor.", but I would still trust BV and what info he had in February/March.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-28 13:21 by Topi.

Date: September 28, 2023 13:15

Topi

But the album was completed in January and mixed in February

That's not true. According to Mick, the mixing was finished beginning of March - [www.YouTube.com] - (Q with Tom Power). After mixing, the mastering is still required which takes additional time. Then someone has to approve that the final result is ready for mass manufacturing. Maybe all this was finished end of March 2023. A wonderful release date for the album before tour start could have been 2-Jun-2023. But maybe this 2 month timeframe was too short for the manufacturing of the various Vinyl editions.

Date: September 28, 2023 13:26

There seems to be different info in different interviews as to when the mixing was finished. The recent Keith interview also mentioned February. [iorr.org]

Hackney Diamonds was largely written at speed in December last year, recorded in January in the Bahamas, New York and Los Angeles, then mixed by February.

Either way, the point stands: I am going to trust BV when he said - very emphatically - that the change in the tour plans had nothing do with the new album and they just were not 100 % ready to tour.

[iorr.org]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-28 13:35 by Topi.

Date: September 28, 2023 13:29

They were done with the recording by Valentines Day. However, Watt stated that he finished mixing the album in March.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: September 28, 2023 14:23

The Beatles didn’t make it a decade. The Stones, which formed in 1962, are in their sixth.

Sorry having to correct the author.

Actually, the Stones are already in their seventh decade. Isn't that amazing?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1437
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home