Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Define The Rolling Stones in 2023
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 13, 2023 11:05

To me it's the riffs that still defines them. That makes it worthwhile. The essence.Their ability to make instant hits seems to have vanished though over the years.
Which is a shame because hits are important for any artist. Just some random thoughts... Which are yours?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-13 13:58 by bv.

Re: Define The Rolling Stones in 2023...
Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: September 13, 2023 11:08

I'll wait for the album and think about it again in a couple of weeks.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 13, 2023 11:16

I thought most agreed that it was Mick playing the riff on Angry...

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 13, 2023 13:25

Stoneage
Their ability to make instant hits seems to have vanished though over the years.
Which is a shame because hits are important for any artist.

Are they? The Stones have done pretty fine taking that they have not had major hits for decades. Bob Dylan only has only a couple of hit songs during his whole career, the latest half a century ago. Same with Neil Young or Van Morrison. I think all of them have had quite a good career in artistic terms despite not doing so well on single charts (I would say even better than many acts shining there).

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-13 13:27 by Doxa.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 13, 2023 13:42

Doxa
Stoneage
Their ability to make instant hits seems to have vanished though over the years.
Which is a shame because hits are important for any artist.

Are they? The Stones have done pretty fine taking that they have not had major hits for decades. Bob Dylan only has only a couple of hit songs during his whole career, the latest half a century ago. Same with Neil Young or Van Morrison. I think all of them have had quite a good career in artistic terms despite not doing so well on single charts (I would say even better than many acts shining there).

- Doxa

Well, the Stones' style of music no-longer fits the demographic who purchase, or stream singles. 'Rock' hasn't been a huge-seller, single-wise, since the 90's, I suppose. 'Britpop' (1993-'97) - at least in the U.K. and across Europe - was the last, real, hurrah; it being the 'popular music' of the day. Now, album-wise, it's very different, of course. I do believe Hackney Diamonds will hit #1 in many markets, though be it, briefly. If Taylor Swifts' latest is released a week later, that'll certainly be the case.

Re: Define The Rolling Stones in 2023
Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: September 13, 2023 14:16

Their definition in 2023?

The world’s greatest and longest-running rock ‘n’ roll band.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: September 13, 2023 14:22

a non-hit wonder

Date: September 13, 2023 14:29

peoplewitheyes
I thought most agreed that it was Mick playing the riff on Angry...

They both play it

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 13, 2023 14:53

Judging on the three new tracks the Stones now are very much in a Goddess in the Doorway mode, but with grittier guitars and stronger groove.

Mathijs

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 13, 2023 15:10

Three tracks?

Posted by: DeeGee ()
Date: September 13, 2023 15:14

HERE

when the forum page openes, click on the "WAIT"

---
5 Strings, 2 Hands, 1 A*****e

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 13, 2023 15:23

Mathijs
Judging on the three new tracks the Stones now are very much in a Goddess in the Doorway mode, but with grittier guitars and stronger groove.

Mathijs

Aside from Visions of Paradise, I found Goddess in the Doorway to be highly forgettable: middle-of-the-road, and too adult contemporary. I'm sure it sounds dated now, too, with that early-2000's production. I'm yet to hear the two recordings that have surfaced just now, but I do hope you're wrong with the Goddess comparison!

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: September 13, 2023 15:36

the greatest rock ‘n’ roll band ever

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-13 15:41 by 1962.

Date: September 13, 2023 15:42

DeeGee
HERE

I don't wanna spoil the party – but none these three songs sounds very promising… rather like Jagger solo.

so the appropriate definition of the Stones 2023 seems to be: A Mick Jagger cover band

Posted by: DeeGee ()
Date: September 13, 2023 16:11

slewan
DeeGee
HERE

I don't wanna spoil the party – but none these three songs sounds very promising… rather like Jagger solo.

so the appropriate definition of the Stones 2023 seems to be: A Mick Jagger cover band

Brown Sugar is a Jagger song too - so I don't quite get the point of your frustration - no offense.
I personally like both songs (more than angry).
So I am looking forward to the new album dispite your negativity winking smiley

---
5 Strings, 2 Hands, 1 A*****e

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-13 16:15 by DeeGee.

Posted by: z ()
Date: September 13, 2023 16:30

One step forward two steps back

Posted by: alreadyoverme ()
Date: September 13, 2023 16:37

Mathijs

Mathijs

Had the same first impression! there are parts of one of the songs and reminded me precisely of Too Far Gone..

Date: September 13, 2023 16:40

slewan
DeeGee
HERE

I guess the problem is that all of them have aged - some quit or died - and with that changed from what they used to be and sounded like. The music they do reflects that.

That there are similarities between Mick's solo records and The Stones could be very well because the driving dynamo behind the both happens to be the same. Actually it would be odd if there wouldn't be any similarities - like Mick being a totally different persona with different muses affecting him. There probably is just one Mick with his creativity bounded by the limits of his current muse.

This is how it is - the Stones AD 2023. People might fantasize something else - like Brian still contributing or Keith throwing other gimmeshelters and honkytonkwomens, but those days are long-by, and live only in our sweet, nostalgic memories.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-13 16:41 by Doxa.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 13, 2023 16:47

Define The Rolling Stones in 2023?

In the winter of their career. If their musical trajectory can be compared to a whole year I would say they are in December.
Early or late December I don not know.

I hope they are on December the 1st i.e. they have another studio album in them plus a world trek taking them to the year 2027 or more.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 13, 2023 16:47

Define them? Tall order, how about “Feels like 81/82 all over again”, they already looked old at the time after all ;-) Anyway it’s priceless!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: September 13, 2023 16:52

Yes, PRICELESS!

Posted by: chevysales ()
Date: September 13, 2023 17:54

A live band that will continue to perform... albeit as late 70's and 80's age allows.

As for albums etc I don't put that pressure on them as no band or artist musically can come out with similar stuff 50 years down the road. I don't compare any of this stuff to their golden era under Jimmy Miller, which arguably is their best era.

No ones ever done it and I don't think anyone can. Life has too many twists and turns to allow one to do what one did in their youth 50 years prior. We evolve in every sense of the word...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-13 17:57 by chevysales.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: September 13, 2023 18:21

Rolling Stones in 2023 still have more Swagger then just about any band out there. Angry literally has more "teeth" than anything out there contemporary.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: September 13, 2023 18:29

TumblinDice76
Rolling Stones in 2023 still have more Swagger then just about any band out there. Angry literally has more "teeth" than anything out there contemporary.

Literally has teeth? Ouch!

Date: September 13, 2023 19:01

DeeGee
slewan
DeeGee
HERE

Brown Sugar is a Jagger song too - so I don't quite get the point of your frustration - no offense.

sure, Brown Sugar and many others, too.
But there used to be a counterweight that prevented Stones songs from sounding like Jagger Solo stuff.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: September 13, 2023 19:35

Stones in 2023 ? Mick Jagger.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: September 13, 2023 20:10

slewan
DeeGee
slewan
DeeGee
HERE

sure, Brown Sugar and many others, too.
But there used to be a counterweight that prevented Stones songs from sounding like Jagger Solo stuff.

It could be that Jagger himself also misses that counterweight sometimes. Who wouldn't? That dude once was a creative monster, writing and co-writing a big amount of greatest rock songs ever done. Riffs that exploded the musical world. It must have been thrilling and inspiring to work with that dude. What happened to that dude?

Mother fv.... g time.

Namely, I guess all that powerhouse is nowadays reduced to have another 'boring jazz ballad', as someone funnily put it here: a new funny way to interpret 'baby, baby, baby' impromptu-like, along sharing stories of him losing his touch, the house being empty, how able to stop, or just better getting some sleep tonight - a sweet little side show for those devoted Stones fans that go 'yeah, it is possible to grow up gracefully, at least act according to one's age'. Retirement house stuff. Or maybe there is some other recirculated old riff the maestro had been amusing himself for years, hoping someone (hopely Him for whom everything is done for) could make miracles out of it, or at least a decent tune.

Seriously, in all of those three new Stones tunes I have heard so far, plus "Ghost Town", I hear a strong Keith Richards influence. It comes in different flavors, but it does. Pure idiosyncratic Keef. I wonder if someone dares to say to him, 'Hey, this is Mick Jagger solo material', what will be the maestro's reaction like?

Keith is still kicking. Not like he once did, but still does.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-13 20:36 by Doxa.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 13, 2023 20:19

Yeah, Keith basically checked out creatively after the B2B sessions, like something just "clicked"...He remained a powerhouse on stage until 2003 and then it was a fast paced decline, of course the stroke/accident didn't help. Started back pretty low in 2012 and it got scary in 2016/2017 but against all odds he had renewed energy on stage in 2022 and he was pretty alert at the PC even though basically admitting to being a "passenger" when it came to the new songs, "no idea what they mean" repeated at least 3 times...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: September 13, 2023 20:28

As far as I can tell on the basis of last year's performances they are still in 2023 one of the best live bands/music shows in the world. That's their defining feature now. The back catalogue of hits is peerless, the influence on rock, entertainment and, to a degree, cultural mores, profound and the record-breaking longevity as a working band unprecedented - all those and more will define their place in history when they stop rolling. But in 2022/3 they are still live entertainers of extraordinary ability, despite all the gripes and pointless comparisons with past glories. When you go to a Stones gig you have a great time and marvel at how they still get away with it. That's who they are in 2023. Anything else is a bonus and we will never see their like again.

Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: September 13, 2023 21:40

Define them ?

Mick Jagger’s backing band that are still a great live act but were once the Greatest RnR Band in the World when they had different band members.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1805
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home