Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Michael Cohl Is Not to Blame
Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 5, 2005 02:09

Strange logics... Either you get free tickets or pay 1000 Euro...

I pay for every single show I go to like every other person in this normal world. I pay 100-150 dollars on average which would be 120 Euro. I don't understand what you mean and I don't have the privelege to get offended by your not so logical post.

Bjornulf

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 5, 2005 04:17

bv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Strange logics... Either you get free tickets or
> pay 1000 Euro...
>
> I pay for every single show I go to like every
> other person in this normal world. I pay 100-150
> dollars on average which would be 120 Euro. I
> don't understand what you mean and I don't have
> the privelege to get offended by your not so
> logical post.
>
> Bjornulf

C'mon Bjornulf,

I am pretty sure that you understand my post and most probably understand my "strange logics". Otherwise, please read again properly. It's not at all about either getting free tickets or paying 1000 Euros, it is all about being priviliged enough to either getting free tickets for all shows (group a) or being rich enough to pay the normal ticket price for the truckload of shows you attend (group b).

Either way, you belong to a privileged, but small group of Stones fans, if not to group a) (like Keith's buddy Fred - he surely does not have to pay for tickets!) then group b) - otherwise you would not be able to follow them all around the world. I just miss some sensitivity for the not-so-privileged vast amount of Stones fans in your nonchalent comments on these inflationary ticket prices.

I don't want to repeat myself any further, so I recommend to read my previous post again. Then again, I believe you know pretty well what I mean. You are offended and just try not to show it. Cool!

Re: The Rolling Stones
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 5, 2005 11:59

Retired Dog, you make a lot of points that resonate with me as someone in an underpaid profession in an economically ungifted country.
at the same time: seeing multiple Stones concerts (let alone multiple concerts *per tour*) is a spectacular privilege, not a necessity of life.
it may *feel* a lot like a necessity of life, when i get the fever -
and Ticket Envy (which the internet just aggravates) can be unfortunately easy to succumb to -
but i remember real clearly when seeing the Rolling Stones *one time* with whatever ticket i could get felt like a huge blessing and privilege.
["remember"? i don't have to "remember" - that's still what it feels like to me.]
if someone who loves the band can't manage to get to even one show, that's not much fun, of course -
i know, because that was my situation for my first 27 years of fanhood -
but that doesn't mean it's anyone's responsibility to make sure we all can.

~*the Rolling Stones are on tour!*~
and we're each making the best choices we can for ourselves in our own situations.

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: December 5, 2005 12:03

"if someone who loves the band can't manage to get to even one show, that's not much fun, of course -
---- -
but that doesn't mean it's anyone's responsibility to make sure we all can."

Hard words! This may very well be my destiny too;
not seeing anything.

Re: The Rolling Stones
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 5, 2005 12:18

you can do it, Baboon Bro!
~*COURAGE!*~ it's the Rolling Stones!

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: December 5, 2005 14:05

Well, well, maybe. 'Only' some 350 Euro for me & my sons.
Piece of cake. Train maybe 'only' 500 Euro.
Hotel... Maybe no more than 500 Euro.

We´ll see. Maybe I just go meet the Glimmers, then back ´ome.

Posted by: Miss U. ()
Date: December 5, 2005 21:14

You'd think,out of self preservation,that the stones would want as many people to see their shows as possible, to hear them play their new songs, then go out & buy the new album, spawn a new generation of fans etc. Maybe not, maybe the money is the bottom line.

Date: December 5, 2005 21:31

well the crowds seem to be calmer this tour
Maybe the ticket prices are a type of crowd control....

Posted by: wild_horse_pete ()
Date: December 5, 2005 21:32

I have tickets within 2 min. payed 107,- euro for it, and i`m happy for it, i can afford it, and wil enjoy the whole day.
Something is expensive when you don`t have the money for it, but you spend it anyway, or buy something what you don`t really need, and throw it after a couple of days away.
See you all in Amsterdam

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 5, 2005 21:52

bv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's supply and demand. Simple as that. They have
> played 43 sold out shows on this tour, average
> ticket price in the USA 150 dollars. Still there
> have been scalpers at many shows selling last
> minute tickets.

And this is were you go wrong. The Bigger Bang tour has turned out to be a small scale tour, with mainly arenas or small stadiums, and with several smaller cities the Stones would normally never play in, and -very important I would say- most shows have not been sold out, as tickets were available at the box office. The days of the Stones playing four times Soldier Field in a row are gone, instead they have chosen to raise the ticket prices so high they only have to do smaller shows but still earn the same amount. In a way I can understand it -no once can expect 60+ legends to play four shows in a row like they were 25 year old. But your story of supply and demand is simply not true. Supply is larger than demand, which is obvious if you look at the rate the Amsterdam Arena show was selling: there's still tickets available, two days after sales started.

Mathijs

Posted by: saintmick ()
Date: December 5, 2005 22:04

Suplly changes indeed (different cities, smaller venues, higher prices), and the following demand also changes, gets less. But still, the mechanisme works.

Amsterdam has a second show now. Even if both shows will not be completely sold out, that doesn't mean that supply and demand doesn't work. In case both shows are sold out for 90%, that would be great. No scalpers! So... the oppurtunity to buy tix for less than face.

Execpt for FOS tix: according to the market mechanisme, those tickets were too cheap. Sold out in minutes... I think 200 euro for FOS would have been better.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: December 5, 2005 22:09

Bjornulf is right with supply and demand. Basically. Just because it didn't sell out within one hour doesn't mean that there is not enough demand - if the stadium is only half full at the show, then I would agree that demand is not high enough.

But even given the fact that these prices are determinated by supply and demand.
It's not entirely true - the Stones have a monopoly, their product is not, or only very hard substituable and that allows them to set the prices so high. However, they are doing it without respecting moral borders, they set them exceptionally high. And that's the bad thing about it! Just because they can set them so high doesn't mean that it's right to do so! They cannot be punished like Microsoft obviously, but they sure should find other ways. The arguement with the scalpers is just very shallow.
It's @#$%& stupid against their hard core fans...

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 5, 2005 22:50

Good post, Lorenz

I dont get this "they ask what the market will bear" argument. So what?

The 'market' could have put up with silly ticket prices prior to 1998-99. They chose not to test its limits back then, however.

Difference being they had some respect for their fans up until then, and whilst they charged more than most acts (which is reasonable enough considering their status) they kept them at a level which most people wouldnt consider extortionate. I'd never have criticised them up to that point, but the band's raison d'etre seems to have changed dramatically since then.

Since then, almost every decision has been dictated by the obsession of making as much money as possible to the detriment of everything else. Which is a bit shallow, pointless and artistically bankrupt when they dont need to do so. The shows since then arent aimed at ordinary fans anymore, unfortunately.

Today its a different target audience, it seems. No wonder they dont get too many new and younger fans.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-12-05 22:52 by Gazza.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 5, 2005 22:56

Please use this thread to discuss this subject further. Thanks!

[iorr.org]

Bjornulf

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2278
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home