Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021Next
Current Page: 20 of 21
Re: Rolling Stones LIVE in conversation with Jimmy Fallon, September 6
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 8, 2023 02:42

Koen
BowieStone
Well, that’s not great promo.

Jimmy Fallon is accused of creating 'toxic work environment'.

Another link: [www.rollingstone.com]

Looks like the heat was on, and Fallon has now responded with an apology to his staff, but the damage might have already been done.

From Deadline.com: Jimmy Fallon Apologizes To ‘The Tonight Show’ Staff After Bombshell Report

-> Damage control

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 8, 2023 04:01

Waleed Aly of Australian TV's "The Project" talks with Mick, Keith and Ronnie:

Date: September 8, 2023 04:06

More post-event comments from Mick, Keith and Ronnie:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-08 04:10 by bye bye johnny.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 8, 2023 10:04

HonkyTonkJan
Gazza
peoplewitheyes
By the way, once-time Stones biographer Philip Norman was just on BBC Radio 4's PM show casting a very disparaging view of the new single and band as a whole. What's his beef?

He's an absolute dick. Updates his 'biography' every time they have a new release/tour with a brief chapter covering a decade that seems to have been put together so fast he probably wrote it while taking a dump

Enjoyed seeing your photos. Pleased for you!

Agree with your description of Norman. Have seen him being interviewed slagging them off. Probably jealous. Best ignored.

Not sure why he wants to write and comment about them. If I don't like a band, I don't listen to them or show any interest in them at all.

Yeah, Norman has never been any fan of Stones music. He just seems to be interested them as a (60's) phenomenon and Jagger as a person. Actually it bothers me when I read his books, how little he knows and understands their music.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-08 10:07 by Doxa.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 8, 2023 14:05

Universal Music Japan has a transcription of the Sept. 6th press conference - [www.Universal-Music.co.jp] :

The Rolling Stones have announced the release of their first new studio album in 18 years, "Hackney Diamonds", which has been widely reported on TV, newspapers and the web in Japan, and the preceding single "Angry" has suddenly reached No.1 on the iTunes Store in the UK, where the band is based. It has become a hot topic all over the world.

On 6 September UK time, a press conference was held at the Hackney Empire in East London, hosted by American TV star Jimmy Fallon and attended by the members themselves. Streamed worldwide via YouTube, the press conference included the announcement of the single and album releases, as well as production secrets from the members themselves.

> Streaming video on [www.YouTube.com] <

The Rolling Stones press conference 6 September 2023

JF: Jimmy Fallon (presenter)
MJ: Mick Jagger
KR: Keith Richards
RW: Ron Wood
SS: Sydney Sweeney

JF: Hello to everyone around the world. This is Jimmy Fallon. I see someone's phone is ringing already. Oh my God. You've got to answer it. Everyone, please put your phones on silent mode or do something. What do you think, ladies and gentlemen? We're live right now at the iconic Hackney Empire Theatre in east London, broadcasting live to the world! Thank you for watching. We're here for one reason only: to bring you the best of what the world has to offer. For 60 years since the 1960s, one band has sold over 250 million albums and left an unforgettable mark on the music scene. They are the ultimate rock band that went on to define the very essence of popular culture. Don't you think so, don't you? Oh, I'm sure you do. I, as I'm sure many of you know, have followed this band throughout my life, buying their records, seeing them live and doing everything I could to be as cool as them, if only a little bit. I love them, and they are here today. Please welcome. Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood. The Rolling Stones.

(3 members on stage)

JF: Welcome. We're here, live, all over the world. This is very important, a lot of people are watching this.

MJ: It's early in the morning in Los Angeles, isn't it?

JF: Yes, it is. It's early morning in Los Angeles. One thing I would like to ask you, what is this event about? Why have we gathered here?

MJ: Why did we gather here? I feel like getting up (says and gets up from his chair). We're here to introduce our new single 'Angry' and its video, which you'll see later. 'Angry' is the first single from our new album, Hackney Diamonds, and that's why we're in Hackney, it's out on 20 October. So that's why we're here.

(Applause)

JF: The new single is Angry. As soon as this Q&A is over, we'll be unveiling the world premiere of the video with the very cool people you know who are in it. The album will be released on 20 October. What does 'Hackney Diamonds' mean to you, Keith?

KR: The title became 'Hackney Diamonds' because we had a couple of ideas for the title, it was 'Hit & Run', then it became 'Smash & Grab'...

JF: Those are good.

KR: From those two, somehow we came up with 'Hackney Diamonds'. Because it's like a variation of both those two. And also because we're a London band.

(Applause)

JF: Is this 'Hackney Diamonds' a form of slang or something?

MJ: Yeah, it is. It's like a shattered windscreen around Hackney on a Saturday night and the shards are all over the street.

RW: Shattered windscreens, smash and grab (slang for breaking a window and breaking into a shop).

MJ: That's what 'Hackney Diamonds' is about.

JF: Ronnie, how long did it take you to make this album?

RW: It actually came together quite quickly. I had a lot of ideas and we got them together and did it before Christmas last year.

MJ: Yeah.

RW: Yeah. It was done quite quickly.

JF: But it's been 18 years now.

MJ: We've been very lazy.

KR: It's a Blitzkrieg.

JF: Wait a minute. That's not fast at all.

MJ: We had done it. We were on tour almost all the time. No, maybe I was a bit lazy. Then all of a sudden...

MJ: "Let's set a deadline. Let's make a record and set a deadline". Keith, me and Ronnie talked it over and said, 'OK, let's make this album for Christmas and get it done by Valentine's Day'.

RW: And that's how we got two albums done (laughs).

JF: Yes, that's right.

MJ: So, like Ronnie said, we went into the studio in December, cut 23 songs in no time, finished them in January and mixed them in February. That's what it was like.

JF: Did you and Keith go to Jamaica? I heard a rumour that it started there.

KR: I actually started writing 'Angry' in Jamaica. Mick had it ready and was ready to go. So we put those songs together. There were a lot more songs than that, but you felt that this one stood out first.

MJ: Yeah, Keith and me and...

RW: And Steve.

MJ: Steve and Matt went to Jamaica and we said, 'We'll try things out in the studio'. We went there and bounced ideas around, then we went to New York and Ronnie joined us. Then a producer called Andy Watt blackmailed us. Then we went to Los Angeles and cut the songs like I said before.

JF: It must have felt strange to have Charlie Watts not playing with you in the studio. How did you feel about that?

KR: It's not the same as before, since Charlie passed away. It's natural. You know what I mean? He's No. 4. He's not there (pointing to the top of the hall). He's over there. He is, of course, sorely missed. But thanks to Charlie Watts, we have Steve Jordan. If anything ever happened to Charlie, 'Steve Jordan is the man for the job' because he recommended him to me.

JF: He chose Steve Jordan?

KR: Yes, he did. It was quite a while ago. He was a friend of ours. I'd worked with Steve before, so it was a natural progression. I think it would have been more difficult if Charlie hadn't been so willing to go along with it, but you know. It was difficult at the same time.

JF: Did he do any of the songs on the album?

MJ: Charlie? Yes, he did. There are 12 songs on the album. And ten of the songs... No, that's different. Most of them are Steve, but two of the songs were recorded with Charlie in 2019. So we're using two songs that we recorded with Charlie before.

RW: 'Live by the Sword' and 'Mess it Up'.

JF: So those are the two songs he played on?

JF: And another rumour I heard was that Bill...

MJ: Yeah, Bill. I asked Bill to come to the studio.

JF: Live by the Sword?

MJ: Bill came and played one song. So we had the original Rolling Stones rhythm section on one song.

JF: Wow, that's amazing.

MJ: But most of it is new. This song is 2019 though.

JF: Yeah, the first track is 'Angry'. Is anger a theme on the album?

MJ: Yeah, Keith and I thought the theme of the album should be anger.

JF: Yes.

MJ: You should be angry in every song.

JF: Are you getting angry because I said so? I would hate to see you angry.

MJ: Anger and disgust.

JF: Anger and disgust?

MJ: That's the concept.

JF: Like every song is angry.

MJ: Yes, every song is angry.

JF: Are all the songs titled 'Angry'?

MJ: Not every song is titled 'Angry'. That would be ridiculous.

JF: It is ridiculous, but it's never been done before, so what do you think?

MJ: No, it's an original idea.

(Laughs)

KR: Nobody can stay angry for that long.

JF: You should meet my in-laws.

MJ: Then I had a second idea. It was to not make every song about anger. Let's make it more diverse and have some love songs, some ballads, some country songs, etc.

JF: Yeah?

MJ: So it's a combination of things.

JF: The last time I saw you three was when you played here in Hyde Park, London. That was amazing. Hyde Park had never hosted a show like that. It was so beautiful and it started at about 7pm in the park and the sun went down. Then at 10pm everyone is dismissed. It's a very British rule. "Well, everyone's gone home! I've gone home! Everyone has left! Come on, please go home". That was a great performance. And the next day I said to you, Mick, "How did you like the performance? I thought it was great, but what did you think?" Then you said, "We're not a daytime band".

(Laughs)

JF: I thought that was very funny.

MJ: 'Sympathy For The Devil' played at 8pm.

JF: Yes, it was. You don't want to listen to 'Paint It Black!' while eating sandwiches with your kids.

MJ: Yeah, you wouldn't.

JF: But do you guys consider yourselves a night band?

KR: Mostly, yeah.

MJ: Yeah, we are.

JF: But you can listen to this album any time of the day.

MJ: You can listen to it any time of the day, any place in the world, any time you want.

JF: The third track on Hackney Diamonds is always...

MJ: Same with track 4. You can play it.

JF: Please don't.

MJ: You can play the fourth track.

JF: I see.

KR: The same goes for songs 5 and 6.

JF: Is it the same for songs 5 and 6?

RW: Australia is already tomorrow.

JF: Tomorrow? You might already be listening to this album there. That's right. That's good. Keith, I always think of this story when I think of you. You appeared on my show. Thank you very much.

KR: No problem, I'm here to talk to you.

JF: We were backstage and you were smoking.

(Laughter)

JF: Smoking is not allowed in the studio, but the alarm went off and the fire marshal came. I didn't know there was a fireman, but he came to the studio and said, 'Mr Richards, you shouldn't smoke'. And you said, "I know, I know. It's bad for you."

(Laughter)

JF: Do you remember?

KR: Yeah, I remember that. I really did at the time.

JF: Do you still smoke cigarettes?

KR: No, I stopped right after that (laughs).

JF: You see. You owe me. This is your 24th studio album, isn't it?

JF: It's the 24th one. Guys, do you remember the press conference for the first one?

MJ: Yeah, I remember the press conference. Keith and I were in a pub on Denmark Street, we'd released the album and two journalists came, one from the NME and one from Melody Maker. We bought them a pint of beer and said, 'Here's our album'.

JF: That's it.

MJ: We said, 'Have a listen' and left it at that. That was it.

JF: It's a bit different now, isn't it?

MJ: There were no pictures at all.

JF: Nothing at all.

MJ: It sold well.

JF: How were the reviews?

MJ: The reviews were mixed, but sales were good.

JF: That was good. If a singer wants to make a record, do you all want to make a record?

KR: If a singer wants to make a record, we record him. Because you never know when he's going to be able to do it next.

MJ: He might go.

KR: So when Mick says to me, 'I want to make a record', somehow I say, 'Come on, let's do it'.

MJ: That's good to know.

KR: I've never said that to you before.

MJ: You shouldn't have said that. It's good to know that's all I'm gonna do.

JF: Ronnie, you play all the time. I saw you play with Van Morrison recently. Do you often play with your favourite bands?

RW: Oh yeah, I do. I keep my tech up between gigs. At my age, you have to keep your fingers moving. You have to keep everything moving.

KR: That's interesting.

MJ: Why don't we talk more about that?

RW: When you get older you'll know what I mean.

(Mick and Ron get up and start dancing)

JF: Up and down, move everything!

RW: Shake your body! Shake it up!

JF: We have a tracklist, and our fans would like to know about the tracklist. The first song is "Angry".

MJ: Yes.

JF: Do you feel a certain kind of emotion?

MJ: There's anger.

JF: That was a bad question. sorry.

RW: I like the riff.

KR: It's characterized by super funky riffs.

JF: It has some great riffs. Then “Get Close”.

(pause)

(Laughs)

JF: Depending on You?

RW: It's heartbreaking.

MJ: It's about always wanting to be able to rely on someone and then being let down.

JF: That's not about me, is it?

MJ: No, you're here. You came all the way from New York.

JF: Yes, I did.

RW: 'Mess It Up' is about you (laughs).

JF: What about 'Bite My Head Off'?

MJ: 'Bite My Head Off' is like when your girlfriend gets really pissed off and you say, 'Darling, don't bite me'.

JF: Yeah, it's like saying, don't bite me.

MJ: That's a rude thing to say.

JF: Yeah, it's a rude thing to say. What about 'Whole Wide World'?

KR: Is that what you mean?

MJ: It's going to fit in.

RW: It's a funky riff. 'Whole Wide World' is very funky.

JF: Really? What about 'Dreamy Skies'?

RW: 'Dreamy Skies' is dreamy.

MJ: What's it about?

RW: Well, Mick I think it's about being stranded and trying to get away from it all. Right? He said he wanted to forget everything and listen to the Hank Williams and Honky Tonks of yesteryear.

JF: It's a difficult thing to realise.

MJ: No, it was realised during lockdown.

JF: Really?

MJ: That was enough.

JF: Was it enough? What about 'Mess It Up'?

RW: It's about you [laughs].

JF: Is it about me? 'Live By The Sword' is played by Charlie, isn't it?

MJ: He's on it. It's a bit retro.

JF: What about 'Driving Me Too Hard'?

MJ: Keith will talk about that.

KR: I can't tell you what any of the songs are about, because I don't think I've heard any of them. No, it's about the riffs and the melody.

RW: It's a melting pot (of different riffs and melodies).

KR: Um, yeah. That's what I mean.

JF: 'Tell Me Straight'?

KR: Straight to the point, I have no idea what it's about.

JF: It's got a good riff.

MJ: Keith sings on that one. I like his singing.

KR: He tried to steal that song and I said, 'It must be good. I'll do it'.

JF: I've heard 'Sweet Sound Of Heaven'. I've heard some of these songs and they are phenomenal.

MJ: This is more like...

RW: Stevie Wonder.

MJ: It's like a gospel song. It's a gospel song.

JF: You've invited guest singers. It's a degree of surprise.

MJ: I love gospel music.

KR: You've never been to church before.

MJ: I have once. I went to church. You're completely wrong, you know.

KR: What was it like?

MJ: Mostly big buildings. With arches, you know.

RW: With a big steeple.

JF: Didn't it burn down as soon as you walked in? (imitating Mick's tone) "Good evening, everyone. I'm going to preach today. Let's get started. Who will receive Holy Communion? Who will receive it? What's up? Thank you, Jesus!

MJ: I don't talk like that.

JF: I wasn't imitating you. I was imitating Ronnie.

MJ: Oh, yeah, right.

JF: Keith, you once said that the holy grail is to make records. Do you all still like being in the studio together? Did you enjoy it?

KR: Yeah, it's fun. It's a place where the band can come together. Playing live is another holy grail. But recording is a place where the members can come together and bounce ideas off each other without any interference. If it works, it's great, but it's not the holy grail. It's true (laughs). It's a great place for the band to work it all out.

JF: When you write a song, do you have your fans' reactions in mind?

KR: I don't.

MJ: I don't think so.

KR: I don't think about what other people think. I just pray and hope (that they like it).

MJ: I think, when you go to work, you have to please yourself. Do you understand? It's not about pleasing others at all, it's about playing for yourself first and not thinking about anything else. Later on you think, 'Oh, people might like this. Or they might not like it', etc.

KR: Right. Then much later you think, 'But if we like it, the audience will like it too'. People will get it.

JF: Until you see someone lip syncing that song.

KR: Maybe I'm wrong.

RW: Lady Gaga sings it really beautifully.

MJ: 'Sweet Sound of Heaven'.

JF: You're giving away valuable information. But you can't believe Lady Gaga. It's stunning.

KR: Yes, she is.

JF: Speaking of fans, we've been getting questions from fans all over the world. Lou asked, "Do you have an all-time favourite Stones song?".

KR: Lou.

MJ: Lou?

JF: He's not here.

KR: Lou asked the most difficult question to answer.

MJ: I don't really have a all-time favorite Stones song. The answer is, "Lou, no. There isn't."

KR: The most impossible question in the world.

JF: Lou, you idiot! What a question to start with. You fool!

KR: But for Lou's sake, I say it's 'Gimme Shelter' or 'Jumpin' Jack Flash'. Personally, I could play all night.

JF: I like 'Off The Hook'.

MJ: What? I've never heard of that.

JF: (Singing out). "Sittin' in my bedroom late last night" [Does riff twice] "Got into bed and turned out the light", "Decided to call my baby on the telephone", "All I got was an engaged tone", "It's off the hook".

(Applause.)

JF: I'm going to sit here again. It's all right.

MJ: I made that guy sit down again.

JF: Maria from Argentina asks, "Have you ever seen a certain fan in the audience and thought that this girl would marry you?"

MJ: I have seen people getting married in the audience.

RW: Yeah, I've seen that.

JF: Did you?

MJ: I've never seen anyone want to get married, but I've seen people get married.

JF: Did Ronnie actually marry anyone?

RW: Yeah.

JF: Did you?

RW: In a dream, yeah. Baby!

JF: Oh come on. Maybe you could...

KR: Maybe I could marry them all [laughs].

MJ: Polygamy lives.

KR: I'm a Mormon.

JF: Oliver from France asks, "Ronnie, I saw you playing with Van Morrison the other day, why do you play with other bands?".

RW: We played Skiffle. He's got a new Skiffle album out and that was great. That's where I got into it.

MJ: A skiffle album?

RW: So that's an easy one.

JF: This is a great question from Gerry from South Wales. 'Who is the best at throwing darts?'

MJ: They're all terrible at it.

JF: Do you play darts?

MJ: There's a darts board in the Ship pub backstage. There's a pub called Ship outside the backstage area of this venue and there's a dartboard there, so we'll see who's the best afterwards.

KR: I'll let you know the result later.

MJ: I'll get back to you with the results.

RW: They'll still be there at three in the morning trying to shoot off the golden target.

JF: Mr Brando from California.

MJ: Marlon, yeah.

JF: "Keith and Mick have been together longer than me and my wife, what's the secret to a happy marriage?" I ask.

KR: Let's let them tell us [laughs].

MJ: Not to talk too often.

KR: How politely to say 'shut up'.

JF: That's all for the Hackney Diamonds. You have done what no one else could have done.

MJ: What? That it took you 18 years to make one album?

JF: No, seriously, there is no other band like you guys. There is not even a comparison.

KR: That's the point.

JF: Yes, that's the point. What you guys are doing is unexplored territory. Who would have thought that this band would come out with a completely new album? And now, in the 2020s, I mean.

MJ: I don't know.

JF: You were around in the 60s.

MJ: I have something to say. I don't want to sound like a pompous prick, but if we didn't really like this album, we wouldn't have released it. We didn't want to just make anything and release it. Before we made it, we all said that we wanted to make a record that we would really like. Other people might like it, other people might not. But we have to be able to say we are happy with it. We're not saying we're great, but we're happy with this work.

RW: Cheers to that!

MJ: And I hope you guys like it.

(Applause)

JF: We're going to clear the stage now and show you some video footage. It's the premiere of a video from their latest album, Hackney Diamonds. It will be released on 20 October. So ladies and gentlemen, The Rolling Stones.

MJ: Thank you.

All three: Thank you!

JF: Come on, each and every one of them is a legend. Also, the album is great. Are you all ready to watch the world premiere of 'Angry'? Every video the Rolling Stones make features the hottest Hollywood actors and actresses, and this time it was no different. This video features Sidney Sweeney, and Sidney is here with us tonight. Sidney, it's nice to meet you.

SS: Nice to meet you.

JF: What do you think about when you are asked to appear in a video with The Rolling Stones?

SS: Well, it's tough! I was astonished and I phoned my family. I brought my mother.

JF: Nice to meet you. I'm so proud of you, aren't you?

Mother: Very proud.

JF: Have you ever made a video?

SS: Yes, there is.

JF: So there is. But you didn't have anything like this.

SS: Nothing like this.

JF: No, there isn't. And Mom, are you a Stones fan?

Mother: Of course I am.

JF: Oh, of course you are. Do you have a favourite era?

Mother: It's a lifetime of music.

JF: A lifetime of music. Did you ever think that your daughter would be in this video?

Mother: No.

JF: Right. You've been in 'White Lotus' and 'EUPHORIA', but this is your biggest film to date.

SS: It's the biggest so far.

JF: The biggest so far. Have you heard the soundtrack? Did you know it would be the first single?

SS: I didn't know it was going to be the first single, but when I heard it, I loved it. I can't get it out of my head.

JF: You can't get it out of your head?

SS: Yeah.

JF: It's a really, really good song. It's the best. I would like everyone to see it. We're going to show it in a few minutes after this, so please get ready. This is the premiere of 'Angry' by The Rolling Stones and Sydney Sweeney. Enjoy!

8-Sep-2023 - [www.Universal-Music.co.jp] . Re-translation to English mainly done via DeepL, double-checked with Google Translate and the YT-Video itself. The text above may still contain errors.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-08 23:00 by Irix.

Date: September 8, 2023 15:21

treaclefingers
snoopy2
MadMetaphoricalMax
It was great fun, I was in the front row, and the energy between them was great. An ease, a humour, and a cool that has to be lived with long, and can't be faked. Off the Hook was a great moment and Fallon was a good compere. It was an audience of international press, friends and family, I understand. I dunno about anyone behind me, but I stood up when they came on, it was a magic moment to be up close and in the room.
The single is fantastic, it really hits it out the park, and gone global, and while there are always moaners and negativity, it's hard to understand among fans on a fan board. They all sound like Jan Moir, a hideous old hack on the Daily Mail who attempts a scattershot, sour-toned hit job on the band. It's quite funny to read. They can still outrage the right people....

Thanks for the post! Agree, love the song.. How did you manage to get in if you don’t mind me asking?

I think he meant front row in front of his computer.

Ha ha yeah!
In fact I've written about them a bit, covered Hyde Park last year, Twickenham 2018, as well as the various archive releases and Blue and Lonesome, and so got a press invite and the green wrist band, got a seat at the front, and enjoyed the afternoon immensely, in the theatre and in the pub and outside at the security barriers with the crowd. In fact, I've just put up a reflection on the experience on The Arts Desk, which is here, and hope isn't too garbled:
[theartsdesk.com]

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: September 8, 2023 15:34

Stonesfan13
bye bye johnny
Video including post-event comments from Mick, Keith and Ronnie:

Ronnie says Paul McCartney played on "a coupla songs" and "one's gonna be for the next album as well".
Wow thanks bbj that was the best collection of snips from the pc!! Thank you!!

Yes!!Very nice! Thank xou gor sharing!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 8, 2023 15:42

MadMetaphoricalMax

Ha ha yeah!
In fact I've written about them a bit, covered Hyde Park last year, Twickenham 2018, as well as the various archive releases and Blue and Lonesome, and so got a press invite and the green wrist band, got a seat at the front, and enjoyed the afternoon immensely, in the theatre and in the pub and outside at the security barriers with the crowd. In fact, I've just put up a reflection on the experience on The Arts Desk, which is here, and hope isn't too garbled:
[theartsdesk.com]

Good read, thanks for the link!

"It's as if together they are guarding their own secret flame, and inhaling its vapours, preserving a space only they can enter, and at whose doors and windows fans and hangers-on like us gather, to hear what comes out."

Date: September 8, 2023 16:34

Behind the scenes at the Rolling Stones Hackney Diamonds launch, as the band plan a documentary

We hear the band were set to play live, but changed the plan late on

By Robbie Griffiths
September 7, 2023

Getty Images

Hackney Empire gave shelter to The Rolling Stones yesterday afternoon, as rockers Mick, Keith and Ronnie took to the east London stage to announce their new album. We hear the band were going to play live, but didn’t at the last minute. Instead, they sang an impromptu a cappella version of Off the Hook, from their 1965 second album, led by compere Jimmy Fallon.

Fans can expect lots more from the group soon, as they are making a new documentary. The event was tightly managed by James Corden’s Fulwell 73 production company, who made a One Direction film, and there were cameras everywhere. Crew took over a nearby pub and Pizza Express.

The band started by confirming what we first revealed about the name of their Hackney Diamonds record. Mick explained: “It’s like when you get your windscreen broken on Saturday in Hackney, and all the bits go on the street.”

The famously louche Stones were on funny form, joking about churches burning down when they visit. Fallon recalled when Keith set off smoke alarms with a cigarette in his studio, and was told: “You shouldn’t smoke in here”. Keith replied: “I know, it’s bad for my health”.

Few can upstage The Rolling Stones, but Sydney Sweeney, gave it a good go yesterday. The Euphoria and The White Lotus actor stars in the video for the rockers’ lead single Angry, and flew in to east London for the press conference, supported by her mum Lisa.

Stones cupcakes / Robbie Griffiths

The Londoner met them in nearby pub the Old Ship Inn afterwards. Lisa asked where we’d got some Stones cupcakes and told us off for taking three. In the Angry video, Sydney is driven around LA in a skimpy leather outfit, while billboards featuring the Stones when they were younger sing the new song, having been animated using new technology. With the help of AI, could the band go on making music forever?

The three surviving Rolling Stones have a combined age of 235, but they were determined to inject some youth into their Hackney Diamonds album launch. The band invited a load of young influencers and the like to join them at the Hackney Empire, as ever, sticking with the times and staying young.

Bringing down the average age were retro- loving social media stars such as Abby Roberts, who has 16.6m followers on TikTok, dressmaker and actor Maddie Close, and influencers Lola Clark and Damien Broderick. Also there were Sex Pistols actor Louis Partridge and Nicola Roberts of Girls Aloud.

[www.standard.co.uk]

Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: September 8, 2023 16:54

Fallon must be the most annoying tv host and interviewer ever. He is such a ''groupie'' with famous stars, especially rock stars. His questions are stupid (though it's clear that the Stones approved/disapproved those questions prior to the event (no question about possible tour).
I was happy to see them well and rested but that show was boring as hell.

Date: September 8, 2023 16:58

daniel t
Fallon must be the most annoying tv host and interviewer ever. He is such a ''groupie'' with famous stars, especially rock stars. His questions are stupid (though it's clear that the Stones approved/disapproved those questions prior to the event (no question about possible tour).
I was happy to see them well and rested but that show was boring as hell.

This was a promo show, directed by The Stones/James Corden. Fair enough that you don't like Fallon, but he's not to blame for the questions this time smiling smiley

Posted by: 20kGrandmas ()
Date: September 8, 2023 17:11

Saw Pearl Jam in Chicago last night, they gave the Stones a little promo for the new album, Eddie talked about Charlie Watts, and then they played a cover of Street Fighting Man!

Date: September 8, 2023 17:12

20kGrandmas
Saw Pearl Jam in Chicago last night, they gave the Stones a little promo for the new album, Eddie talked about Charlie Watts, and then they played a cover of Street Fighting Man!

I just listened to it. Not bad thumbs up

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: September 8, 2023 17:32

20kGrandmas

Nice! Seeing them Sunday in Indiana.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 8, 2023 18:02

"We hear the band were going to play live, but didn’t at the last minute"

FWIW, this is incorrect according to my info. I first heard of the event around midweek of the same week the Hackney Gazette ad was noticed on Twitter, then the Steve Hoffman forums, then IORR and so on.

My source said that it would just be a press event and that the band would not perform live. That info was corroborated by a couple of other sources along the way.

At no point did I hear that they would actually play.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-08 18:06 by Topi.

Date: September 8, 2023 18:06

MadMetaphoricalMax

Ha ha yeah!
[theartsdesk.com]

Great article. An entertaining event to have attended, even for experienced music journalists who seldom see the like in this day and age I imagine.

Posted by: Dorn ()
Date: September 8, 2023 18:50

Irix
Universal Music Japan has a transcription of the Sept. 6th press conference - [www.Universal-Music.co.jp] :

The Rolling Stones have announced the release of their first new studio album in 18 years, "Hackney Diamonds", .

tks Irix, great find thumbs up

Date: September 8, 2023 18:58

Yes, the transcript looked pretty accurate! Cheers.

Date: September 8, 2023 19:22

Manofwealthandtaste
MadMetaphoricalMax

Ha ha yeah!
[theartsdesk.com]

Great article. An entertaining event to have attended, even for experienced music journalists who seldom see the like in this day and age I imagine.

Thank you, and it certainly was.
I was trying to find a list of ALL Stones press conferences, though with not much luck. Came across a good little video snippet from Amsterdam 73, though, with Mick Keith and Mick T...

Date: September 8, 2023 20:14

Topi

FWIW, this is incorrect according to my info. I first heard of the event around midweek of the same week the Hackney Gazette ad was noticed on Twitter, then the Steve Hoffman forums, then IORR and so on.

My source said that it would just be a press event and that the band would not perform live. That info was corroborated by a couple of other sources along the way.

Maybe they mixed up with the rumours of them launching the MSG London Sphere?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-08 20:14 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: September 8, 2023 20:18

MadMetaphoricalMax
treaclefingers
snoopy2
MadMetaphoricalMax
It was great fun, I was in the front row, and the energy between them was great. An ease, a humour, and a cool that has to be lived with long, and can't be faked. Off the Hook was a great moment and Fallon was a good compere. It was an audience of international press, friends and family, I understand. I dunno about anyone behind me, but I stood up when they came on, it was a magic moment to be up close and in the room.
The single is fantastic, it really hits it out the park, and gone global, and while there are always moaners and negativity, it's hard to understand among fans on a fan board. They all sound like Jan Moir, a hideous old hack on the Daily Mail who attempts a scattershot, sour-toned hit job on the band. It's quite funny to read. They can still outrage the right people....

Thanks for the post! Agree, love the song.. How did you manage to get in if you don’t mind me asking?

I think he meant front row in front of his computer.

Ha ha yeah!
[theartsdesk.com]

Enjoyed the read, thanks! (you don't happen to have en extra cupcake on you do you?)

Date: September 8, 2023 21:01

MadMetaphoricalMax
Ha ha yeah!
[theartsdesk.com]

Great read. Thanks for sharing.

Date: September 8, 2023 23:00

DandelionPowderman
Topi

Maybe they mixed up with the rumours of them launching the MSG London Sphere?

Not likely, given that project's on hold.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: September 9, 2023 01:24

Once again what is the point of doing this when the album won’t be released for 6 weeks. It makes no sense at all. The album should be out within a week.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 9, 2023 02:28

stanlove
Once again what is the point of doing this when the album won’t be released for 6 weeks. It makes no sense at all. The album should be out within a week.

They are currently experiencing a delay pressing new vinyl due to the overwhelming demand for the latest Taylor Swift rerecorded album.

I'm not sure if that's true, but was hoping that would soothe your angst.

Posted by: cyclist ()
Date: September 9, 2023 06:34

Wouldn't all the preorders count toward the sales numbers for the opening week?

Having several weeks to accumulate preorders could put them at #1 despite the Taylor Swifts of the world.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 9, 2023 07:38

I thought Keith said something about "hide the bullets under the rug" in regard to Mick, getting the singer to want to record.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 9, 2023 07:39

The Stones apparently have a knack for liking toxic hosts.

Date: September 9, 2023 09:14

GasLightStreet
I thought Keith said something about "hide the bullets under the rug" in regard to Mick, getting the singer to want to record.

He did.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 9, 2023 16:22

bye bye johnny
MadMetaphoricalMax
Ha ha yeah!
[theartsdesk.com]

Great read. Thanks for sharing.

Yes, great read Tim, thanks for that! One tiny error...you say in "some 69 years later" which would put Mick at 11 years old and Keith at 10!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021Next
Current Page: 20 of 21

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2334
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home