Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 21
Re: Rolling Stones LIVE in conversation with Jimmy Fallon, September 6
Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: September 6, 2023 17:49

Cool band, cool video, not so bad song.
Love this band.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 6, 2023 17:50

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 6, 2023 17:51

they sounded great....loved the video....nice riff....Stones are back!

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: September 6, 2023 17:52

The Sicilian
The live billboard was an absolutely brilliant idea. Not thinking of any others, I would rate it as their best use of a video montage in a video. The S & M chick thing was more of a distraction for younger viewers.

Uh, no. Us old people like it too...

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 6, 2023 17:52

CJFP
Left me with more questions than answers!

Single released today, album in a month. Hope that helps!

Posted by: seebee ()
Date: September 6, 2023 17:54

Big Al
I’m probably totally off here, but the ‘hot girl’ video is probably to entice the Stones’, ageing, male demographic. Generation Z will not be amused. Good! grinning smiley

Might even make them angry…

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: September 6, 2023 17:55

I wasn’t too optimistic about this one and the sound quality watching the press conference waan’t great, so I was getting ready to be disappointed. Then watched the official video. Sound is great, song works, I think it’s going to do well. And the old video footage included Bill and Mick T so some will be especially happy with it. Good one, Stones!
Now…let’s hear it live!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-06 18:13 by SomeTorontoGirl.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: September 6, 2023 17:55

Watch out, here we go !

Angry is The Rolling Stones’ best single in 40 years
5/5
The first taste of the Stones' long-awaited album Hackney Diamonds is an absolute blast

[www.telegraph.co.uk].

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: September 6, 2023 17:58

Keith must have slept well on the plane - looked and sounded great!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 6, 2023 18:02

Clip reminded me of the Love Is Strong clip

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 6, 2023 18:02

Hairball
Not bad. Better than Don't Stop, but it's a bit reminiscent of Cyndy Lauper's Girls Just Want to Have Fun, or some other bouncy '80's pop hit...maybe something from Huey Lewis and the News.

+1

Yes, at first listen, "Angry" is a nice, bouncy, safe-as-milk pop song. Catchy and likeable, I suppose.

But I'm hoping other tracks on the album will have some TEETH, some BITE, some classic RS darkness and catharsis.

Drew

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: September 6, 2023 18:04

Manofwealthandtaste
Keith must have slept well on the plane - looked and sounded great!

I never understand why every man doesn't want to look like Keith Richards.

Posted by: ohotos ()
Date: September 6, 2023 18:06

When I watched the video I was thinking "Isn't that just the same video as the one with Kristen Stewart from a couple years ago?". So I just went and watched the Ride 'Em On Down video and I must say it would have been nicer to have the moving billboard elements in that video instead. I'm exited for new Stones music but the "hot woman video" thing is getting tired.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 6, 2023 18:09

‘We were lazy!’ The Rolling Stones unveil new original album Hackney Diamonds after 18-year wait

Ben Beaumont-Thomas
Wed 6 Sep 2023

David Fisher/Shutterstock

At Hackney press conference, surviving trio of Stones pay tribute to late drummer Charlie Watts as they announce album and release new single Angry

The Rolling Stones have announced details of their first album of new songs in nearly two decades, entitled Hackney Diamonds.

Featuring a constellation of guest stars including Lady Gaga, Stevie Wonder and former Stones bassist Bill Wyman, it also contains the final recordings with the band by late drummer Charlie Watts, who appears on two tracks.

Hackney Diamonds – east London slang referring to broken window glass outside a robbery – has the still-thrilling sight of “Jagger-Richards” mentioned throughout the songwriting credits. It’s the first time Mick Jagger and Keith Richards have written an album of new music since A Bigger Bang in 2005, and the first studio album of any kind since 2016’s collection of blues covers, Blue & Lonesome.

Chipping in as co-writer on three songs is the album’s producer Andrew Watt, known for helming an array of recent hit albums by artists as varied as Elton John, Justin Bieber, Iggy Pop, Post Malone and Miley Cyrus.

The first single and opening track, Angry, has been released alongside the album announcement: powered by a classic Stones riff and strutting rhythm, Jagger is in uproarious form as he mopes about a lovers’ tiff. “It hasn’t rained in a month, the river’s run dry / we haven’t made love and I wanna know why,” the 80-year-old singer complains, eventually going off in a huff in the coda: “I’m still taking the pills / and I’m off to Brazil.”

Reviews of the album are currently embargoed ahead of its 20 October release date – and further A-list guests are to be announced – but the Guardian was given an early listen. The energy is often high, with one blisteringly paced rock’n’roll song joined by plenty of others with that typical high-tempo Stones strut, including one with a disco bassline. There are also pared-back blues numbers, bucolic country-rockers and lighters-aloft pop-rock ballads.

Having teased their appearance with an advert in local newspaper the Hackney Gazette, Jagger, Richards and Ronnie Wood announced the album in a press conference at the Hackney Empire theatre, east London, in conversation with US talkshow host – and frequent Jagger impersonator – Jimmy Fallon. “I don’t want to be big headed,” Jagger said, surrounded by smashed chandeliers and a glitter strewn tongue logo cut into shards, “but we wouldn’t have put this record out if we hadn’t really liked it.”

It was a poignant sight without Watts, who died aged 80 in August 2021 having played with the group since just after their inception, joining in 1963. Steve Jordan now plays drums with the group, appearing on their 60th anniversary tour in 2022 and on nine of Hackney Diamonds’ songs.

“Ever since Charlie’s gone it’s different – he’s number four, he’s missing,” Richards, now 79, said. “Of course he’s missed, incredibly. But thanks to Charlie Watts we have Steve Jordan – his recommendation, that if anything should happen to him, he’s your man.”

The cause of Watts’ death was not announced but last year Richards implied he had died of cancer, saying: “I think he’d been trying to keep it under the wraps for a while last year, so [his death] came as quite a shock. He had had a round with cancer a year or two before. And he beat that one. He just got hit with a double-whammy, bless his soul.”

The trio were in great comic form on stage though, Jagger sprightly in a black brocade bomber jacket as he jumped up from his chair to introduce the record. “We were maybe a bit too lazy,” he said of the 18-year wait. “Suddenly we said, let’s put a deadline … We did it pretty quick. There were a lot of ideas floating about and we gathered them together just before Christmas.” By Valentine’s Day the album was recorded and mixed, Watt having “kicked us up the arse”, according to Jagger.

There were flashes of classic Stones lasciviousness, the 76-year-old Wood saying of playing with Van Morrison and others in between tours: “You’ve got to keep your fingers moving when you get to our age – keep everything moving.” When asked if he ever married someone who came to a Stones gig, Richards replied: “I could marry them all, maaaan!”

Richards sings one of the album’s 12 songs, Tell Me Straight, telling the audience to rounds of laughter: “I can tell you straight that I have no idea what’s it’s about. Mick tried to steal it so you know it’s good.”

Sydney Sweeney, the US actor best known for roles in The White Lotus and Euphoria, appears in the Angry video and was in the Hackney Empire’s front row. “I freaked out, called my family and brought my mum,” she said of getting the call to appear. “This is the biggest thing ever.”

With throngs of onlookers outside and swathes of international media inside, it was a grander occasion than the first ever Stones press conference, Jagger said. “Keith and I were in a pub in Denmark Street [in central London], and there were two journalists from NME and Melody Maker. We bought them a pint of beer and said: here’s our album.”

[www.theguardian.com]

Posted by: Dorn ()
Date: September 6, 2023 18:10

PaintMonkeyManBlack
powerage78
Mixed first impression. The main riff is nice and catchy, but we're straight into pop music and the intensity suddenly drops off. And I don't know, it's as if two different songs had been (clumsily) combined.

I agree 100% with every word of the analysis of the song.

i second that

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: September 6, 2023 18:11

I hope they are not slaughtered by certain elements of the press for the hot chick video. It is not my thing as I would have preferred a hot guy. The Stones are too great to be written off.

The song's great, it was really good to hear it at the Empire, with plenty of bass too. It'll be their biggest since Start Me Up,. Same kind of simple, straight up, catchy and stupid-great. I can almost hear drunken lads doing their best Mick on Stella St impression belting out the chorus if it comes on late enough at a pub....
The boys looked fantastic, cool, funny, good vibe between them all, esp Mick and Keith. It's going to be a special album, even if Lady gaga is on it! Great to hang around the Empire and get a seat on the front row too.

Feels like Christmas today and our incredible band has given us a great gift. Hope they are now working on plans for their next tour! The world needs The Rolling Stones.

On the 7th day God created The Rolling Stones

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: September 6, 2023 18:22

The video for angry is ok, but why all the old footage? That is not them now. I know they want to reach the young people but Imo is ridiculous.....

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: September 6, 2023 18:23

the video is @#$%& great

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: September 6, 2023 18:23

desertblues68
I hope they are not slaughtered by certain elements of the press for the hot chick video. It is not my thing as I would have preferred a hot guy. The Stones are too great to be written off.

The hot chick is great.
The hot guys on the billboards are great too.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 6, 2023 18:25

ROPENI

The video for angry is ok, but why all the old footage?

That's the promised "New Era" .... winking smiley

Posted by: dnewton99 ()
Date: September 6, 2023 18:25

The Reuters video 1 hour 45 minutes is still up for now if you want to re-watch with closer camera angles and brighter lighting etc than Youtube.

[fb.watch]

Posted by: BFR ()
Date: September 6, 2023 18:27

Sydney Sweeney is a huge star! She is in two of HBO's most recent hit shows: Euphoria and The White Lotus. The Stones have featured the hottest new actors/actresses in their videos many times before and I think this is one of the best features they've had.

I LOVED the video and the song. Can't wait to hear more of the album. They've still got it cool smiley

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: September 6, 2023 18:30

SomeTorontoGirl
I wasn’t too optimistic about this one and the sound quality watching the press conference waan’t great, so I was getting ready to be disappointed. Then watched the official video. Sound is great, song works, I think it’s going to do well. And the old video footage included Bill and Mick T so some will be especially happy with it. Good one, Stones!
Now…let’s hear it live!

Try playing it through a blue tooth speaker like a JBL Flip 6 or through your car stereo using YouTube with your smart phone connection.

Posted by: Pearl66 ()
Date: September 6, 2023 18:33

The billboard on 1:07 minutes!!

Posted by: Pearl66 ()
Date: September 6, 2023 18:35

Ellipooh
roller99
Anyone notice the billboard with "Hackney Diamonds Tour" on it?
I missed that completely. Do you remember what point? I’ll watch more carefully next time

The billboard on 1:07 minutes!! Upcoming tour next summer?

Posted by: keefmick ()
Date: September 6, 2023 18:40

I quite enjoyed the event even though Fallon inserted himself in the mix too much in my view. I thought the boys were funny and charming and the interplay was good between Mick and Keith.

I do note that it is very interesting that there was no mention of playing live whatsoever, including no "see you soon" which is what we often get. And obviously Fallon was told not to ask about any live shows or you have to figure he would have.

Finally, also no hint of what "a new era" means, if it means anything other than a new album.

Time will reveal all.

Posted by: dnewton99 ()
Date: September 6, 2023 18:44

Yes way better on even my speakerphone attached to my PC.

The Sicilian
SomeTorontoGirl
Now…let’s hear it live!

Try playing it through a blue tooth speaker like a JBL Flip 6 or through your car stereo using YouTube with your smart phone connection.

Posted by: cyclist ()
Date: September 6, 2023 18:47

RobberBride
CJFP
23 tracks cut? 2 albums perhaps?

Yeah, didnt Ronnie let that slip? "two albums"? Sounded like he said so.

Yeah, that surprised me! Hard to tell if he meant "We had enough material for two albums" or "We're going to be releasing another album soon"...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 21

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2459
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home