Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Stones Most Metal Songs - slightly silly (but interesting) list
Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 2, 2023 16:35

Re: Stones Most Metal Songs - slightly silly (but interesting) list
Posted by: slewan ()
Date: September 2, 2023 18:37

I really can't see that any(!) of the songs on that list qualifies as Heavy Metal

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: September 2, 2023 20:49

The only Stones song that sounds like "metal' to me is 'Hold on To Your Hat' - which is perhaps why i never listen to to it smiling smiley

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: September 2, 2023 21:34

Thanks for the list, though I must agree that IMHO none of these songs really approach Heavy Metal. To me, I might think that "Respectable" (as well as the aforementioned "Hold On To Your Hat") may come closest, mainly due to their frantic pace.....but not really....they are more punkish....

Heavy Metal may be just about the only popular musical genre that the Stones have never really immersed themselves in, at least to a fully-committed sense. Even "Miss You" contains a hint of Rap in it....

Ride like the wind at double speed.....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-02 21:37 by sf37.

Posted by: TomGreen ()
Date: September 2, 2023 21:46

That mix of Doom and Gloom, Gunface and Low Down are fairly hard-edged, but aside from maybe Hold On To Your Hat at an extreme push, I don't think they've ever really come close.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: September 2, 2023 22:00

Half of dirty work is hardrock but none of that list. And heavy - only Superheavy is, but only the title...

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 2, 2023 22:30

Angus Young from AC/DC said 35 years ago: "We are far from the Heavy Metal. If anything, it’s probably Hard Rock." - [RockCelebrities.net] . The Stones are even farther from Metal.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 2, 2023 22:41

The Stones have "roll", and I don't think Heavy Metal does, or if it does please list an example and I'll stand corrected.

That's why that list seems quite off. It's Only Rock'n'Roll heavy metal?

I don't remotely see that.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 3, 2023 01:27

An interesting read, thank you.

Yeah, there are traits in Stones music that one day had a very different reincarnation they called metal. I mean, one could listen Son House, and say 'yeah, there is something Rolling Stones there'. And of course, true fans of Son House, the blues purists, would say 'there is nothing pop rock like the Rolling Stones there'.grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: September 3, 2023 02:05

treaclefingers
The Stones have "roll", and I don't think Heavy Metal does, or if it does please list an example and I'll stand corrected.

Well said. Metal doesn’t roll (there may be exceptions depending on how you define metal). I’ve heard metal groove, but not roll.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 3, 2023 02:14

"999" is the one I thought of.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 3, 2023 02:25

treaclefingers

This!

Posted by: stonesman87 ()
Date: September 3, 2023 02:44

I can understand why this post is in "Tell Me".

IORR - metal ??? Please "Tell Me" why.

Satisfaction - metal ????????????????????????? Please "Tell Me" why.

confused smileyconfused smileyconfused smileyconfused smileyconfused smileyconfused smileyconfused smileyconfused smileyconfused smileyconfused smiley

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: September 3, 2023 02:49

Soul Survivor
Rock And A Hard Place
I Go Wild

Don’t take me seriously, though…it’s just a casual observation.
These songs sound Heavy Metal-ish in some way or other, but ultimately they are not Heavy Metal in the word’s pure sense as used to describe Judas Priest’s music for example.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-03 04:31 by RisingStone.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: September 3, 2023 03:31

The one song off of Beggars Banquet that I often thought flirted with heavy metal was Stray Cat Blues...when I first heard it, I thought the guitars and whole vibe of the song was more than just a standard rock/blues tune..very heavy and edgy for the time.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 3, 2023 03:35

Have Ya Seen Your Mother Baby
Standing In The Shadows .... was HEAVY for its day ...

The sound of The Sixties ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 3, 2023 05:36

Rockman

Great heavy tune but of course not heavy metal, more heavy jazz. Just love it. A song like this just sounds so unique to me, like Undercover of the Night. I can't imagine any other band coming up with tunes similar.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: September 3, 2023 06:47

Rockman

well hell if that's your standard i guess that makes the stones the first heavy metal beatles cover bandwinking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-03 06:47 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: northof49 ()
Date: September 3, 2023 09:23

I've always associated heavy metal with a lot of noise and for it's day, this one was pretty noisy but i certainly wouldn't categorize it as Metal.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 3, 2023 16:34

Wikipedia says:

(Heavy) metal is a genre of rock music that developed in the late 1960s and early 1970s. With roots in blues rock (???), psychadelic rock and acid (???) rock, heavy metal bands developed a thick, monumental sound (more verbal crap) characterized by distorted guitars (Ah, here we come close), extended guitar solo's (for sure), emphatic beats (okay) and loudness (well, that's for sure).

I heard it all. I have to admit that some of it was/is okay and even very good, but the fast majority (even more so further on in time) of what has been named as heavy metal was/is an insult to metal (iron, lead, cupper, gold, silver, etc.), just as much as real life metals having been replaced by "plastic" and other chemically produced rubbish (again, not all of it, but mostly).

Most of those heavy metal kids wanted to sound different from the (quality stuff produced by 60s bands like obviously the Rolling Stones, but also the Who (!), Kinks (you really got Me), Animals, Led Zeppelin, etc., but didn't have the musical talent to write proper music. So instead that amplified their mostly two or three cords sounds to the extreme (different = extended noice). Quite some very talented drummers in those heavy metal bands had no choice but to follow by hitting even harder and faster to keep up.
Noice is often made to hide the quality of music.
But ... they reached an audience (many of the now older ones suffer neck and back problems because of all that head banging (very enjoyable to watch though).

The above mentioned list of 10 Stones songs are way, way, way to high above all that metal rubbish talk and it's almost an insult to even label them as such.

Having said all that, I still enjoy from time to time some good heavy metal music. (In our house, 3 kids, the sounds of Metalica, AC/DC, G&R, Pearl Jam, Beasty Boys, Woo Tang Clan, Cyprus Hill, Blink 182, etc. florished for many years, but none of our kids wouldn't want to miss a Rolling Stones concert!)

smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 3, 2023 16:50

Elmo Lewis
"999" is the one I thought of.

thumbs up and I would add the version of Satisfaction from Olympia 67. It is really heavy fat grunge metal... you name it.
Keith must have set the controls of his fuzz pedal to 11. grinning smiley

Posted by: rcfoxy ()
Date: September 4, 2023 04:44

Slightly off topic...but I would love to hear Metallica (or similar) do a 'eavy metal version of Ruby Tuesday

Cheers
Richard - In Another Land

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 4, 2023 05:00

rcfoxy
Slightly off topic...but I would love to hear Metallica (or similar) do a 'eavy metal version of Ruby Tuesday

Be careful what you wish for...winking smiley...not Metallica, but here's Scorpions doing Ruby Tuesday!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-04 05:37 by Hairball.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: September 4, 2023 05:28

Rockman

ya, and Sway was one of the heavier songs I'd heard at its time also

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-04 05:31 by snoopy2.

Date: September 4, 2023 12:47

Apart from a few passages in One Hit (To The Body) and Too Tough (Ronnie's guitar solo), that might be considered hard rock, The Stones have not been anywhere near heavy metal, imo.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: September 4, 2023 12:53

DandelionPowderman
Apart from a few passages in One Hit (To The Body) and Too Tough (Ronnie's guitar solo), that might be considered hard rock, The Stones have not been anywhere near heavy metal, imo.

...and thank God for that.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 4, 2023 13:07

The first part of Can't You Hear Me Knockin' is pretty damn heavy. The riff is filthy in a really good way.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: September 4, 2023 14:32

treaclefingers

That's basically it, as Keith said in 1997 when B2B was being released, "f** the rock, we want the roll". The rhythm section grooves, rolls.

The Stones have come close to hard rock of course - tracks like 'One Hit', 'Hold Back' etc. They've had tracks that you may call 'heavy', but not in the sense of Judas Priest heavy for example.

Heavy Metal is a march really, angular guitars/chords with bass/drums holding the bottom end. The Stones, even to use a 1989 example in 'Sad Sad Sad' - guitars loud and rocking, but what makes that track is the wonderful swinging bass/drums throughout. The roll. 'Start Me Up' - nice loud guitars, but goddang, that beautiful roll - between the notes, in the rhythm section, is the pure musical narcotic that makes us fans. Rock'n'roll.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: September 4, 2023 15:51

Well...

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: September 4, 2023 17:14

I think Gimme Shelter Philly '72 has quite a hardrock feel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-04 18:02 by TheflyingDutchman.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1618
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home