Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Has Mick ever complimented Keith?
Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: August 27, 2023 06:46

Keith has shot off his mouth insulting Mick many times over the years. Maybe for shock value, maybe for headlines, maybe for jealousy. But he has also repeatedly called him the greatest frontman of all time, the best harmonica player ever, and several other super positive things. Has Mick ever publicly acknowledged Keith’s talents? I am in awe of both their talents, but I’ve gotten annoyed with Mick several times in recent years claiming full credit. He did with Ghost Town, in several interview, pointing out that HE WROTE IT. He also went out of his way to point out that HE played the intro riff on Doom and Gloom 11 years ago. I understand him wanting credit for what he did, but, as a businessman, I would think he’d realize it would be more enticing to the public if they thought it was Keith’s riff.

Re: Has Mick ever complimented Keith?
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 27, 2023 07:18

Band intros on Love You Live: Keith of course is completely straight!!smiling smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 27, 2023 07:24

He has.

But in ways that are not exactly noticeable in ways that Keith acknowledges Mick's input.

Keep in mind, Keith has always talked down about Mick as a guitarist. So...

The guy that came up with Brown Sugar? He's not exactly very good.

But... you know, like, "just saying".

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: August 27, 2023 07:33

GasLightStreet
He has.

But in ways that are not exactly noticeable in ways that Keith acknowledges Mick's input.

Good point! I’m not trying to take a thing away from Mick. Keith has always put him down as a guitarist, but Mick has basically put Keith down as a guitarist as well. He even said, at one point, he played less guitar on his solo records than he did on Stones records because he had better people to do it.

Date: August 27, 2023 07:51

nonfilter
GasLightStreet
He has.

Good point! I’m not trying to take a thing away from Mick. Keith has always put him down as a guitarist, but Mick has basically put Keith down as a guitarist as well. He even said, at one point, he played less guitar on his solo records than he did on Stones records because he had better people to do it.

What!!!??

I've never seen that one!

I'm sure someone will find something. I looked but not, you know, EVERYWHERE. But it certainly isn't something you hear (read) often, if at all. There has been one or two occasions when some guitar magazine or whoever is asking Mick about his guitar playing and he's said, "Well, I have had a great teacher" - not VERBATIM quote but basically, and obviously he's alluding to Keith.

Possibly it's the issue of so much is said about Keith that Mick is either misunderstood or isn't asked.

Not that coming up with the riff to Brown Sugar is free beers forever at the Memory Motel for life but Mick has done a good job of sticking up for himself.

But, occasionally.

Shattered:

That's more like Keith's song. I wrote lyrics.
- Mick Jagger, 1995

[timeisonourside.com]

There might be something about Wild Horses and maybe Angie.

That's a fantastic website. But it's very difficult to find Mick complementing Keith.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: August 27, 2023 08:03

check the howard stern interview mick did in 2021

i belevie he actually defends and compliments keith in it

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: August 27, 2023 09:52

Yes! At the 2:20 Mark

[youtu.be]

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 27, 2023 10:16

Basically 95% of Mick’s troubles over the last 50 years came from Keith : the 77 Toronto arrest, the problems with having a US working visa in 75 plus tons of little troubles we never heard about.

If you add the numerous jabs Keith threw at Mick since his early 80s return to life, and the guitarist’s numerous tantrums on tour or in the studio you come to the conclusion Mick’s praises for Keith would not come naturally...

Date: August 27, 2023 16:38

I think they complement each other every time I have seen them in concert.

Especially the St. Louis show which was the first without Charlie.

It's all the bickering which has kept their names in the headlines.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: August 27, 2023 16:53

dcba
Basically 95% of Mick’s troubles over the last 50 years came from Keith : the 77 Toronto arrest, the problems with having a US working visa in 75 plus tons of little troubles we never heard about.

If you add the numerous jabs Keith threw at Mick since his early 80s return to life, and the guitarist’s numerous tantrums on tour or in the studio you come to the conclusion Mick’s praises for Keith would not come naturally...

True. But also all this circus helps to enhance the mythical status of the Stones, so indirectly all Stone members benefit of Keith's outbursts...

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: August 27, 2023 16:55

Why would he ? He doesn't even want to hear him play when he's on stage apparently ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 27, 2023 18:35

MartinB
dcba

True. But also all this circus helps to enhance the mythical status of the Stones, so indirectly all Stone members benefit of Keith's outbursts...

I don’t believe that. It’s fact that all the trouble that Keith had caused has always been detrimental to the band. All that “mythical status” is what people choose to believe and has nothing to do with fact

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 27, 2023 18:57

GasLightStreet
He has.

I've seen Keith "forget" how to play the begining of Brown Sugar.

Posted by: RiffKichards ()
Date: August 27, 2023 19:37

When Mick has introduced the band at Paris 2022 ?

"... au chant et à la guitare mon Keith absolu."

"... on singing and guitar my absolute Keith."

It is very near to be a compliment.

At 2:58 [www.youtube.com]

Paris 2022 was beautiful.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: August 27, 2023 19:42

"You can't outpunk Keith"............sounded to me as though Mick meant it as a compliment.

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: August 27, 2023 20:06

Keith has used 50 years of his life just to talk shit about Jagger.So why the hell should Jagger speak nice about this person at all?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 27, 2023 20:14

Maybe in lyrics?

"you used to be my party doll"

"the guitar players look damaged"

"I know I play a mean guitar"

"Keith, what you doing"

"As long as the guitars play"

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: August 27, 2023 20:17

I heard he once said "nice skull ring mate"

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: August 27, 2023 22:02

More Hot Rocks
MartinB
dcba

I don’t believe that. It’s fact that all the trouble that Keith had caused has always been detrimental to the band. All that “mythical status” is what people choose to believe and has nothing to do with fact

You may well be right, but what people believe is what sells tickets.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 27, 2023 22:11

They have been together so long, have created so much great music together, it would seem silly or superfluous for him to say something complimentary.Keith has said Mick is a great harmonica player.He said songs like Winter and Moonlight Mile that he had little to do with were great.He has complimented all the other members,past and present ,excluding Brian.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 27, 2023 23:11

Mick doesn't need to say anything - his love, gratitude, worship, indebtedness, and admiration for Keith is louder than words.
And the feeling seems mutual between the two. After all is said and done, as the old saying goes - talk is cheap...

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 27, 2023 23:55

In the manuscript of Mick's non-released autobiography there was claimed to be some really tender words about Keith. Like Mick admires Keith for being a true artist as a person and that he hopes there would be more people like Keith in the world.

- Doxa

Date: August 28, 2023 00:47

To be honest I think fans approximately know a 2% about what has happened between them since the beginning of the band.

Posted by: rockdoc8885 ()
Date: August 28, 2023 02:09

Mick has always complimented Keith to the press regarding Ruby Tuesday. He has always liked this song and wish he had come up with it. I’m sure Mick added a few bits to that song like Keith has added to predominantly Mick songs. That’s what the Glimmer Twins do.

Date: August 28, 2023 02:11

crholmstrom
GasLightStreet
He has.

I've seen Keith "forget" how to play the begining of Brown Sugar.

LOL and Happy and IORR and Start Me Up and She's So Cold...

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: August 28, 2023 05:47

sometimes actions speak louder then wordswinking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-28 05:47 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: August 28, 2023 11:43

hockenheim95
Yes! At the 2:20 Mark

[youtu.be]

Thank you Hockenheim!
We should put this in a loop - for everybody heresmiling smiley

Date: August 28, 2023 11:44

ProfessorWolf
sometimes actions speak louder then wordswinking smiley

I was there and it was indeed a great moment. First the awesome CYHMK and then that bear hug. Great stuff thumbs up

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 28, 2023 11:51

If you ever go to a Stones show, you will see again and again how Mick is smiling and giving Keith a nod or a "thank you" many times during the show. And vice versa. Some times I wonder if some here do actually go to shows.

Question: Has Mick ever complimented Keith?
Answer: Yes, many times, many times

Bjornulf

Date: August 28, 2023 12:34

In the 4 Flix DVDs there is a clip after the clubshow, when they pile into a van. They're all flushed, and pumped, and Jagger looks at Keith; then they both crack up.
That to me has always been a priceless moment. There is so much in that look.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1925
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home