Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...119120121122123124125126127128129...LastNext
Current Page: 124 of 138
Re: Hackney Diamonds - New Rolling Stones album due out Oct 20
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 14, 2023 12:10

georgelicks
30 plus seconds from each, Tell Me Straight and Live by The Sword from the Howard Stern radio shows:

[we.tl]

Thanks! Promising. Like that descending Shelterism on Tell me Straight. Sword too.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 14, 2023 12:30

Hackney Diamonds is the best Stones album since 1978’s Some Girls.

Better than TY, VL. BTB and A Bigger Bang ?
We'll see.

I'm especially looking forward to reading why all these albums are not as good.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 14, 2023 12:49

I actually think many of the interviews in so called renowned newspapers are pretentious, repetitious and boring. Why bring up the sixties and seventies again when there have been tons of books written about it?
Do they assume that the reader is totally unaware of the band's history? Sure, you can find some nuggets in it also. If you can find them in the mass of texts...

Date: October 14, 2023 13:27

Good piece, Mick giving away little bits, while sweeping off the dust of the past from what's happening now.
Depending on You isn't anything like Wild Horses, it's like itself- the album, which I am writing up a review this weekend for MOnday's The Arts Desk, has a sound and feel all of its own and not art all like any of the old ones or the recentish ones - fully cohesive, Stones as they are now, without looking back, live in the room, in a room with all this 21st c tech.
It surpasses all those albums going back to TY because of that cohesiveness, of sound, of vocals, guitar work, the sheer quality and build of the songs, the whole palette. I mean, I love B2B, but that sounds like a schizophenic record of disparate parts compared to HD - here, Mick and Keith have found a working accord they may not have had since PAthe maroni times. And it has a rich, thick sound texture with fuzzy edges.
It sounds like itself, nothing else. For which we must thank the second most important Andrew in the story of the Stones!

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: October 14, 2023 14:44

Stoneage
I actually think many of the interviews in so called renowned newspapers are pretentious, repetitious and boring. Why bring up the sixties and seventies again when there have been tons of books written about it?
Do they assume that the reader is totally unaware of the band's history? Sure, you can find some nuggets in it also. If you can find them in the mass of texts...

The London style of newspaper feature writing is uniformly terrible.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 14, 2023 15:53

MadMetaphoricalMax
Good piece, Mick giving away little bits, while sweeping off the dust of the past from what's happening now.
Depending on You isn't anything like Wild Horses, it's like itself- the album, which I am writing up a review this weekend for MOnday's The Arts Desk, has a sound and feel all of its own and not art all like any of the old ones or the recentish ones - fully cohesive, Stones as they are now, without looking back, live in the room, in a room with all this 21st c tech.
It surpasses all those albums going back to TY because of that cohesiveness, of sound, of vocals, guitar work, the sheer quality and build of the songs, the whole palette. I mean, I love B2B, but that sounds like a schizophenic record of disparate parts compared to HD - here, Mick and Keith have found a working accord they may not have had since PAthe maroni times. And it has a rich, thick sound texture with fuzzy edges.
It sounds like itself, nothing else. For which we must thank the second most important Andrew in the story of the Stones!

Great comments, Triple M! I can't wait to hear it for myself.

Stones on CBS news Sunday Morning Oct 15 at 9:a.m. ET.
Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: October 13, 2023 20:55

the Stones will be on CBS news Sunday Morning at 9:a.m. ET.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-13 22:02 by bv.

Re: Stones on tv Sunday
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 13, 2023 20:56

Yes - [iorr.org] .

Posted by: Dorn ()
Date: October 14, 2023 19:24

rbp
Irix

Dynamic Range of 'Angry' is DR6 and 'SSOH' is DR5 according to the measurements by ProStudioMasters.com.

Thanks Irix. At this stage would have to think Matt Colton has done the whole album.
Unfortunately not great DR values, bit of a shame really if you are interested in fidelity of sound.

i am very much interested in sound fidelity but what exactly is "Dynamic Range" supposed to be ? what does it tell us ?

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: October 14, 2023 19:39

“Listen to Wild Horses today. It sounds like it’s covered in blankets.” Love tha line.. May bring it by Muscle Shoals Sound today for fun.. All in fun and love smiling smiley

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: October 14, 2023 20:31

From the Independent, the over praising of current album, negating basically everything said about previous. Be an interesting read at least.

Behind the paywall; some kind soul will hopefully post the text here at some point

[www.independent.co.uk]

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: October 14, 2023 20:59

IrelandCalling4
From the Independent, the over praising of current album, negating basically everything said about previous. Be an interesting read at least.

Behind the paywall; some kind soul will hopefully post the text here at some point

[www.independent.co.uk]

But what if the album is indeed the best since Some Girls? Shouldn't you be allowed say it then?

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: October 14, 2023 21:01

Dorn
rbp
Irix

Dynamic Range of 'Angry' is DR6 and 'SSOH' is DR5 according to the measurements by ProStudioMasters.com.

Thanks Irix. At this stage would have to think Matt Colton has done the whole album.
Unfortunately not great DR values, bit of a shame really if you are interested in fidelity of sound.

i am very much interested in sound fidelity but what exactly is "Dynamic Range" supposed to be ? what does it tell us ?

Don't go down that rabbit hole! It's dangerous and might get in the way of you being able to just enjoy the music.
Take that from a recovering audiophile.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: October 14, 2023 21:04

IrelandCalling4

[www.independent.co.uk]

Critics criticizing critics — the worst genre of all!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 14, 2023 21:05

Dorn
rbp
Irix

The difference between loud and quiet changes.

Read this:

[hub.yamaha.com]

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: October 14, 2023 21:14

StonedRambler
IrelandCalling4

[www.independent.co.uk]

But what if the album is indeed the best since Some Girls? Shouldn't you be allowed say it then?

If someone says it’s the best album since Tattoo You I am willing to take it seriously before hearing it.

If someone says it’s the best album since Some Girls I just roll me eyes.

Finebaum Comments on New Stones CD
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: October 14, 2023 04:13

Paul Finebaum is a commentator on the SEC channel, where football fans report their opinions of the SEC football teams, like Tennessee and Alabama. He said that the Stones should not have released a new CD, since their very best work was done in the seventies and eighties. To try to eclipse their earlier achievements would be a grave mistake. He apparently thinks they would be making fools of themselves.

I disagree with his philosophy. All artists and musicians should be allowed and encouraged to create as long as they wish or are able.

Re: Finebaum Comments on New Stones CD
Posted by: rara ()
Date: October 14, 2023 06:55

I’m sure Mick Jagger is very keen on the opinion of an unknown college football fan channel commentator.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 14, 2023 08:11

Never trust a guy who wears baggy pants .....

ROCKMAN

Date: October 14, 2023 15:54

Paul is very knowledgeable about SEC football, music not so much.......

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 14, 2023 17:43

flilflam
Paul Finebaum is a commentator on the SEC channel, where football fans report their opinions of the SEC football teams, like Tennessee and Alabama. He said that the Stones should not have released a new CD, since their very best work was done in the seventies and eighties. To try to eclipse their earlier achievements would be a grave mistake. He apparently thinks they would be making fools of themselves.

I disagree with his philosophy. All artists and musicians should be allowed and encouraged to create as long as they wish or are able.

Many would argue that it was the sixties. It was certainly the era of their greatest cultural impact.

I doubt you'd find too many people who would say they peaked in the eighties. If he's suggesting that then I'd doubt he has much insight into their career (to be fair, I do know of one diehard fan who lists 'Dirty Work' as his favourite album, but I'd say he doesnt have much company when it comes to that opinion)

Either way, what happens to be 'good music' is subjective. Its laughable to suggest that any artist should stop creating because they apparently achieved some degree of greatness at some point in the past.

Date: October 14, 2023 17:47

Paul's best years are behind him, too.......

So are mine....

Posted by: BN78 ()
Date: October 14, 2023 19:23

Paul Finebaum remarking (or what they should not release) on the Stones is the equivalent of the AI version of Barney the dinosaur advising Hélène Darroze on how to run one of her restaurants.

Posted by: TravellinMan ()
Date: October 14, 2023 20:20

Paul deals with a lot of young people whose careers never get started after the pro draft or flame out before the end of their twenties. Some are lucky and hang on in derivative jobs such as espn highlight commentator. Football produces a lot of Al Bundys. It might weigh on Paul's mind. But there is something the comment made me think of while reading it this morning listening to Live in England from Charlie is My Darling. Many artists who exited the stage early are cherished for those few highlights. I cannot imagine Brian playing guitar on Streets of Love. Not Mick Taylor either.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: October 14, 2023 21:19

TravellinMan
Paul deals with a lot of young people whose careers never get started after the pro draft or flame out before the end of their twenties. Some are lucky and hang on in derivative jobs such as espn highlight commentator. Football produces a lot of Al Bundys. It might weigh on Paul's mind. But there is something the comment made me think of while reading it this morning listening to Live in England from Charlie is My Darling. Many artists who exited the stage early are cherished for those few highlights. I cannot imagine Brian playing guitar on Streets of Love. Not Mick Taylor either.

Then you should listen to a bootleg from Rome 2014!

Posted by: TravellinMan ()
Date: October 14, 2023 21:38

hockenheim95

Then you should listen to a bootleg from Rome 2014!

I guess if someone is a Taylor fan it gives them pleasure to hear or see him still. But I feel for him. I would never reach for that boot. I prefer MSG in 1969 the first time I saw him or something from 73 or 72.My point, I think, is that it is difficult to live on a long time after your gl9ry days are over. I saw Eric Estrada once in a gas station and someone asked him, "Didn't you used to be a motorcycle cop?" But thanks, this thread and your comment reminded me of Jim Morrison's face long ago when someone yelled sing soft parade Jim. Imagine doing that song for 54 years.

Mick on France 2 Sunday night
Posted by: kitoise ()
Date: October 14, 2023 13:00

Mick interview (pre-recorded??) at the Sunday France 2 Journal of Laurent Delahousse (20h30 Le Dimanche).
Great if someone can record it! Thanks

Re: Mick on France 2 Sunday night
Date: October 14, 2023 17:49

.........and also Mick's interview on Franc-Inter on Oct.20th

Posted by: rockerparis ()
Date: October 14, 2023 19:08

Recorded last month in London

Date: October 14, 2023 20:18