Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...114115116117118119120121122123124...LastNext
Current Page: 119 of 138
Re: Hackney Diamonds - New Rolling Stones album due out Oct 20
Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 7, 2023 18:36

Don't listen to the hacks that call themselves critics. Listen with your own ears. I'm not a huge fan of A Bigger Bang but it's not terrible it's certainly better than Dirty Work at least to me. But for me every Rolling STones album has had something to offer to my ears, even Dirty Work. I have always loved the cover of Harlem Shuffle and One Hit To the Body and there are a couplet of others on it like Had It With You. A Bigger Bang has Laugh I Nearly Dies which is a grat song. I already know Hackney Diamonds has two excellent songs. Angry is very good and I absolutely love Sweet Sounds Of Heaven. My marker for these songs will be in about six months. Will they hold up in a playlist rotation with the songs I've always loved. I am really looking forward to listening to Hackney Diamonds from start to finish. I've read some of the reviews and they are predictable. Rolling Stone used to review the albums if I remember Voodoo Lounge was ranked an instant classic now if you go back and look they have three stars on it. Critics are useless.

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: October 7, 2023 23:14

Funny how these reviewers are calling A Bigger Bang "terrible" and "lukewarm". If Hackney Diamonds was released in 2005, I'm not sure it would've been as well received as A Bigger Bang.

Angry and Sweet Sounds of Heaven are decent singles, but I think some fans would've dismissed them as cheesy and mainstream if they were released in 2005.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-07 23:25 by EasterMan.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: October 7, 2023 23:42

EasterMan
Funny how these reviewers are calling A Bigger Bang "terrible" and "lukewarm". If Hackney Diamonds was released in 2005, I'm not sure it would've been as well received as A Bigger Bang.

Angry and Sweet Sounds of Heaven are decent singles, but I think some fans would've dismissed them as cheesy and mainstream if they were released in 2005.

Angry maybe but Sweet Sounds of Heaven isn't mainstream at all and also wasn't mainstream in 2005.

Also nothing is as cheesy as Streets of Love.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: October 8, 2023 12:12

For people who say Sunday is the first day of the week... next week we have HACKNEY DIAMONDS!

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: October 8, 2023 13:33

StonedRambler
Some things that should not be missing from any cheap Stones review:

- best album since Some Girls/Exile / their playing is the best since [insert random year here]
- their combined age ("together they are 235 years old...")
- some standard puns using their song titles that have been used for 40+ years ("Stones fans will definetly get some Satisfaction" "Stones fans still get what they need" "It's only rock n roll but fans still love it")
- their last tour / album?
- some Beatles / Stones comparison
- calling them "rock n roll dinosaurs", "rock n roll grandpa's" or something similar
- that Jagger is still running 12 miles on stage

Have I missed anything?

Perhaps something about them 'topping up their pension plan'? Or maybe growing old disgracefully. But overall I compliment you on nailing all the really key cliches we have heard ad infinitum...

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: October 8, 2023 15:48

EasterMan

Par for this particular course. ABB was praised mostly highly in 2005, but after release and onto a new album is put down. Babylon received mostly good notices in 1997, was written off as uneven or boring in 2005.

Almost a scorched earth policy for output post SG or TY. Critics adopt a return-to-form review narrative for the latest, and disregard previous. Repeat cycle each new release.

ABB was a fine album, one I still listen to. Not as good as Babylon or Wheels overall, but a very worthy Stones album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-08 15:56 by IrelandCalling4.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: October 8, 2023 19:10

IrelandCalling4
EasterMan

Par for this particular course. ABB was praised mostly highly in 2005, but after release and onto a new album is put down. Babylon received mostly good notices in 1997, was written off as uneven or boring in 2005.

Almost a scorched earth policy for output post SG or TY. Critics adopt a return-to-form review narrative for the latest, and disregard previous. Repeat cycle each new release.

ABB was a fine album, one I still listen to. Not as good as Babylon or Wheels overall, but a very worthy Stones album.

I find myself, yet again, fully endorsing a point made by a fellow member here. For the past thirty years critics and reviewers have commented positively on albums when they are released only to dismiss them entirely a year or two later. I recollect that Voodoo, Bridges, ABB and Blue & Lonesome were ALL lauded as a 'return to form' on release, but have rarely received any kind of decent review since.

I also feel that ABB is a fine album. Others may well disagree, but for me I find myself playing it just as regularly as any of the other thirty-plus Stones studio albums I have bought over the years. In fact there is not a single Stones album that I dislike or dismiss in its entirety. Even the oft-proclaimed 'turkeys' - Satanic Majesty's and Dirty Works - have found their own niche in my affections.

And I have no doubt that HD will become another much loved addition to my collection as well...

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 8, 2023 20:47

doitywoik
StonedRambler
Have I missed anything?

Yeah, another recurring theme appears to be that ABB wasn't a super-great album.

"It Won't Take Long" being the stand out track from ABB, didn't even get released as a single, plus its better than the two new singles from Hackney Diamonds, it's hard to work out the politics of this band and the biased one way traffic from so called STONES fans.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 8, 2023 20:54

ABB and SW are the albums I don't go back to anymore, the only ones in the Stones catalogue.

Not that there's nothing good in them (Continental Drift, Almost Hear You, Slipping, Laugh I nearly Died, It wont take long, She saw me coming) but because I like to listen whole albums.

I really dont like the overall thin sound of SW and find the turds exceeding in numbers the good and not stellar songs in ABB. This has happened in time.

So I think for critics it might be the same but that should be the difference between a good writer and a bad one: to be able to detach a bit from the moment (and the pressure of the promotion) and see things in perspective. See through the hype and been able to tell.

from the moment they came back in 1989, press has begun to consider them "legends" and survivors more than active musicians, a class of their own. indulgence came along.

hopefully, this time, HD has been crafted to resist better at the attacks of time as a whole. Good numbers we already have listened to

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: October 8, 2023 20:55

Very same as yourself Gerard (some Irish connection?). I know we are super fans here, and are likely to find the gold in even the most maligned of albums, but they are my favourite act simply as I do enjoy or love almost every album.

Satanic I've always loved; musically rich and varied. Not deluded enough to place it as a misunderstood classic: however, it is one I have been revisiting and enjoying for 30 years now.

Ditto Dirty Work - the great divider. Hailed by some as the great emancipator (breaking free of critical consensus to declare an almost contrarian undying love of this opus!). I wouldn't see it in those grand terms, but it is a record where at least 5 of its tracks are very good, even moments of the old greatness.

Hackney Diamonds will be praised. IF it turns out to be the last album, its sheen will remain as it will suit the 3rd act narrative- "years in the recorded wilderness, but they finished on form". The die hard will be the ones who keep revisiting, who discuss for years after, no different to Voodoo, Babylon or ABB.

I have expectation this will be a high quality album. Likely will surpass ABB, and hopefully equals or even betters Wheels & Babylon (Steel Wheels is one of the main latter day records I've come to really love over the years).

Whatever the critics say, it is a wonderful time to be a fan - a brand new album in just under 2 weeks, possible live dates 2024. Sixty years after their first single. Long Live the Stones! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-08 20:59 by IrelandCalling4.

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: October 8, 2023 21:03

keefriffhards
doitywoik
StonedRambler
Have I missed anything?

Yeah, another recurring theme appears to be that ABB wasn't a super-great album.

"It Won't Take Long" being the stand out track from ABB, didn't even get released as a single, plus its better than the two new singles from Hackney Diamonds, it's hard to work out the politics of this band and the biased one way traffic from so called STONES fans.

Stand out track?? I can't stand 'It Won't Take Long'. Dreary. Plodding. I skip it when I listen to ABB.

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: October 8, 2023 21:37

It wont take long has never been a single material,never

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 8, 2023 22:08

bakersfield
keefriffhards
doitywoik
StonedRambler
Have I missed anything?

Stand out track?? I can't stand 'It Won't Take Long'. Dreary. Plodding. I skip it when I listen to ABB.

Is it Okay for me to think it's a stand out track though, i think it's got a feel of Gimme Shelter to it.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: October 8, 2023 22:14

...for me one of the two tracks I prefer in ABB....

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: October 8, 2023 22:30

Is this a new song at the end?
[youtu.be]

Posted by: wupperstein ()
Date: October 8, 2023 22:45

Ross
[youtu.be]

The song is called "Ivy League". You can find it on Fully Finished Studio Outtakes
and it's from the Voodoo Lounge Sessions.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: October 8, 2023 22:47

That’s one of those YouTube channels that just rips content from other users. Super-annoying. It gives me pleasure to block them.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: October 8, 2023 22:53

wupperstein
Ross
[youtu.be]

The song is called "Ivy League". You can find it on Fully Finished Studio Outtakes

Ahh! Thank you. I knew it was too familiar, but I could t place it. The accompanying video appears to be more recent sessions. I thought the instrumental version on the Voodoo (Brew/Stew?) was a standout there. There is so much good stuff on FFSO!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 8, 2023 23:36

keefriffhards
bakersfield
keefriffhards
doitywoik
StonedRambler
Have I missed anything?

Is it Okay for me to think it's a stand out track though, i think it's got a feel of Gimme Shelter to it.

Yes that's of course ok. But It Won't Take Long before someone disagrees with that statement.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 8, 2023 23:41

Rockman
Critics advice should be taken with a grain of salt.

Some put their sentences in a different order than the previous critic just by copying sections.

rearrange the sentence of the guy before 'em ....don't take critics too seriously ..... just cut/paste and a lot of 'em

Yes..I know them, they're really quite tame
I had to rearrange their jail sentences
And give them both another name .... Spanish Sticky & Bitchus1220

whatever you say StoneMale!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 8, 2023 23:57

Ross
wupperstein
Ross
[youtu.be]

Ahh! Thank you. I knew it was too familiar, but I could t place it. The accompanying video appears to be more recent sessions. I thought the instrumental version on the Voodoo (Brew/Stew?) was a standout there. There is so much good stuff on FFSO!

The video where they sing backing vocals? That's from the Ghost Town video I think.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: rtr ()
Date: October 9, 2023 04:27

Never mind

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-09 18:57 by rtr.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 9, 2023 09:52

bakersfield
keefriffhards
doitywoik
StonedRambler
Have I missed anything?

Best song on the album. See this is the problem with them taking stuff off so it’s not bloated. They’d take off stuff some of us love!!

Rod

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 9, 2023 10:33

GerardHennessy
... In fact there is not a single Stones album that I dislike or dismiss in its entirety. Even the oft-proclaimed 'turkeys' - Satanic Majesty's and Dirty Works - have found their own niche in my affections.

And I have no doubt that HD will become another much loved addition to my collection as well...

Exactly my sentiments .

There may be stuff we don't like overly much...but what a huge and varied expanse of wonderful music they've given us down the years.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: October 9, 2023 11:08

rtr
Saw a link for Get Close and Depending on You a few weeks ago. Are they still available somewhere to check out? Thanks

For your / our own sake, it’s illegal to share tracks not yet released. We have to respect Björnulf’s policy on this board. If I were you, I would delete the request for the songs. There are only 11 days till release. I think we can wait that long.

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: October 9, 2023 13:33

deleted

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-12 10:05 by MononoM.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: October 9, 2023 15:36

The Globe and Mail ranked the songs in their review.

[www.theglobeandmail.com]

They're saying "Get Close" is the second-best song on the album after SSOH.

"Tell Me Straight" comes in third.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-09 15:37 by Topi.

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: October 9, 2023 15:58

Topi
The Globe and Mail ranked the songs in their review.

[www.theglobeandmail.com]

They're saying "Get Close" is the second-best song on the album after SSOH.

"Tell Me Straight" comes in third.

Interesting. It's behind a paywall. can you post it here? Thx grinning smiley

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: October 9, 2023 16:46

Somebody will winking smiley

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: October 9, 2023 17:31

Topi
Somebody will winking smiley

grinning smiley