Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...113114115116117118119120121122123...LastNext
Current Page: 118 of 138
Re: Hackney Diamonds - New Rolling Stones album due out Oct 20
Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: October 6, 2023 22:11

There’s an interview with Mick on SiriusXM’s Classic Rewind. Next single is “Mess It Up,” Oct. 17.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 7, 2023 00:13

"Live By the Sword, a throwaway number redeemed by that down and dirty rhythm section." hum and so it starts, WWW is a "misfire"...but still better than almost anything they put out in the 80s, wait what?! Bottom line, don't take critics too seriously!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: October 7, 2023 00:34

MelBelli
There’s an interview with Mick on SiriusXM’s Classic Rewind. Next single is “Mess It Up,” Oct. 17.

Yes, a dance track! With Charlie Watts counting

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 7, 2023 00:35

don't take critics too seriously .....

A lot of 'em just cut/paste and
rearrange the sentence of the guy before 'em ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: October 7, 2023 01:53

Next single with Charlie!

Those ''best album since Tattoo You'' mean nothing to me since i rank Bridges To Babylon higher than Tattoo You.

Posted by: glimmer0 ()
Date: October 7, 2023 02:12

Just goes to show how different tastes are

TY is in my top 10 Stones LPs. BtB sits somewhere between 15-20

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: October 7, 2023 05:01

Here's a review from Austria newspaper Salzburger Nachrichten, full text paywalled but available as jpg. Sorry, it's in German and I don't have a proper OCR software available right now, hence no English translation. Stones tongue on the title page.

The reviewer says he was sent a link to the songs that was valid only for a few hours, which means he was not sent an advance CD or so.

[sn-data.s3.amazonaws.com]
[sn-data.s3.amazonaws.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 7, 2023 06:34

Rockman

Critics advice should be taken with a grain of salt.

Some put their sentences in a different order than the previous critic just by copying sections.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 7, 2023 07:56

Rockman

rearrange the sentence of the guy before 'em ....don't take critics too seriously ..... just cut/paste and a lot of 'em

Rod

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: October 7, 2023 08:23

These comparisons with past albums that reviewers make have really pissed me off.
This 'Best album since Some Girls/Tatoo You' has become really cloying and ridiculous.
Every album has its own history and must be contextualised with internal and external dynamics and many factors.
Let's just enjoy this new album and i'm sure we won't be disappointed!

Date: October 7, 2023 10:42

NilsHolgersson
MelBelli

Yes, a dance track! With Charlie Watts counting

Someone on SH said it was the full version of the "Tell the Truth" snippet...lightweight stuff, to put it mildly...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 7, 2023 11:05

doitywoik

Here's a review from Austria newspaper Salzburger Nachrichten

The Rolling Stones rocked once again

On the new album "Hackney Diamonds", the Rolling Stones reflect on their core competencies. That works surprisingly well.

BERNHARD FLIEHER · 6 OCTOBER 2023

61 years after the Rolling Stones were founded, a new album is ready: "Hackney Diamonds" will be released on 20 October. In the good moments of the twelve songs, the Stones - with Ron Wood and Keith Richards on guitars - reflect on their core competence: bluesy foundation with rocking forward momentum. Mick Jagger sings without larmoyance: "Too young for dying, too old to lose." There are reminiscences, contributions from colleagues like Lady Gaga or Paul McCartney and a "Rolling Stones Blues".

Old people are to be given the seats. But what if, like the Rolling Stones, they insist on driving the bus at 80? Then you make room. Out of politeness. And when they step on the gas, also out of amazement. Two weeks before the album "Hackney Diamonds" went on sale, you could hear what the Stones recorded in their very old days. Anyway, it was to be heard when you were emailed a link with an expiry date by the record company. So a night of pre-listening to the twelve Stones songs before they disappeared again for a fortnight. Conclusion: It rocks properly a few times, a few songs stray, a few, the best, are rooted in the dirty existentialism of the blues. Here and there something like a retrospective can be detected, a bit of malaise in the present, which comes through in the heavy rock in the song "Whole Wide World". The Stones have been quoting themselves since the mid-1970s anyway.

"Hackney Diamonds" is the first album with original songs since the terrible "Bigger Bang". If you want to go back to an album where the majority of the songs were good, you'll be lost until "Some Girls" from 1978. With Lady Gaga, representative of the modern age, and Stevie Wonder, dinosaur like the Stones themselves, they plunge into an opulent soul and gospel mass with "Sweet Sound of Heaven" that sprawls to almost ten minutes, a kind of prayer that is not muttered with folded hands but shot from Jagger's hip. "Teil Me Straight" shuffles along listlessly and sounds like a draft. But: it is sung by Keith Richards. "Dreamy Skies" is a gentle, folky fanfare featuring the great Hank Williams, a quasi declaration of love and world renunciation in one. Of course, you have already heard these songs somewhere similar on a Stones record. The band has been around for 61 years. And you haven't heard the Stones together with Paul McCartney on an album for just as long. He was the bass player in the other über-band of the 1960s. Oh yes, for all those who have trouble remembering: that was the Beatles. The song "Bite My Head Off" then sounds as if the old heroes have boyishly driven each other to fresh life.

Homage is also paid to the past life, because the late drummer Charlie Watts plays two more drums. One of the songs, "Mess it Up", unfortunately rattles along as if the sound of the drums came from beyond the Styx. In the good moments, the Stones remember their core competence on "Hackney Diamonds": bluesy foundation, enriched with rocking forward momentum, which puts Ron Wood and Keith Richards in position on the guitars. Always marvellous! Thematically, it's all about manageable topics: Woman gone, woman here, lust, loss, the world gone mad. "Angry", "Get Close" (with Elton John on piano) or "Driving Me Too Hard" tell about it. After at least two decades of boring, run-of-the-mill rocking, they had sharpened the core competence with which they roll off once again on the album "Blue & Lonesome". There they took up a few of the old blues songs on the basis of which they had once made a career. To close the new album, they put a song of their own in this tradition. "Rolling Stone Blues" is a mangy confession of existence as vagabonds. There, in sparseness, they follow the immortality of the blues with a line that Jagger sings earlier in the kitschy, yearning song "Depending an You" without any larmoyance: "Too young for dying, to old to lose".

[iorr.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-07 11:45 by Irix.

Posted by: LorenzAgain ()
Date: October 7, 2023 12:01

Also Der Standard had a review:

Rolling Stones: The Rock-'n'-Rollator Must Wait
After an 18-year hiatus, the Rolling Stones are releasing an album with new self-penned titles in two weeks. "Hackney Diamonds" sounds surprisingly fit.
Karl Fluch 6. October 2023, 06:00

Ronnie Wood, Keith Richards, and Mick Jagger from the Rolling Stones embody 235 years of Rock'n'Roll. Their album "Hackney Diamonds" is quite impressive. Only the cover is of special ugliness.
Should this be their swan song, they’ve nailed it, concluding a full circle in the end. After eleven of their own songs, a Muddy Waters’ track follows. It’s fitting. After all, the Rolling Stones borrowed their name from the legendary bluesman in the early 1960s. Waters’ Rolling Stone Blues concludes the new album by the Stones called Hackney Diamonds, releasing on October 20th, just 14 more sleeps.
It was recorded in New York, London, and elsewhere during 2021 to 2023. It includes the last recordings by Charlie Watts from 2019 – the Stones' drummer passed away in August 2021. Elton John dropped by to hit a few keys, Paul McCartney played the bass, Lady Gaga and Stevie Wonder were there, even Bill Wyman – and Covid hovered as a dark cloud over everything.

The name of the album sets the direction, anticipating recklessness. For Hackney Diamonds describes the shard pile left behind after a burglary from the display window – at least in the London district of the same name. This displays an outlaw defiance, which these kings of wrinkle-rock cash in on, even in their seventh decade of existence.
The music surprises with its vitality and has bite. Even if the long-known opener Angry turns out to be better average, the riff Keith Richards plays is of course top-notch. The Stones haven't released an album with self-penned titles since 2005. Considering the age of the protagonists, it's not disrespectful to say that many more won’t follow. Carpe diem is the motto, and they live by it.

Songs like Get Close, Bite My Head Off or Whole Wide World sound like the Stones want to conquer the world again. Jagger stretches the syllables on occasion and sings "I’m @#$%& with your brain." The sex of aging. Gritty guitars, noisy drums, hooklines. It's worth acknowledging; they can do it, the will counts at least as much as the result – and it is astonishing.
"It’s only rock 'n' roll but I like it"
But as always, it's difficult, Mick Jagger (80), Keith Richards (79), and Ronnie Woods (76) know. The biggest opponents of every new album are the classics from the early years. A few dozen unkillable songs that are part of the world cultural heritage, which have accompanied and defined eras.
The Brits have been unable to add new titles equivalent to this canon for a long time, but it didn't stop them from releasing new albums. They fully adhere to their own motto: It’s only rock 'n' roll but I like it.
It’s the same attitude with which they’ve been going on stadium tours for decades. And anyone who could experience their performance in Vienna last year knows that the old folks still enjoy letting the Honky Tonk Woman live it up. And many a 60-year-old would love to be as fit as Jagger.

After five songs on Hackney Diamonds, there's a break from the revolution. "I’ve got to take a break from it all," sings Jagger in Dreamy Skies. It's a country song: shuffle drum, slide guitar, resting pulse. At the same time, it’s a nod to their own past, to the Stones' deep love for the Blues and its bastards, because of which this band came together once. The song is suitably askew, no embellishments, nicely gritty. "Yeah!", you hear someone say at the end of the song. You can join in.
Mess It Up brings the band back to the fast lane, the Stones are having fun, warming up for Live By The Sword and its boogie piano. Too bad it doesn’t have the grime of Dreamy Skies – then it breaks off.
Driving Me Too Hard sounds like a confession, as if they have now exhausted themselves. Indeed, the following two songs are ballads that seek salvation in bombast rather than in feeling. "I’m too young to die but too old to lose," Jagger sings earlier on the album. Too bad he doesn’t heed that here. Yet, with few exceptions, which also include the abominably ugly artwork, it has become quite a good work. The Rock-'n'-Rollator, it must wait. (Karl Fluch, 6.10.2023)
Note: The article was updated at 8:59 am, the last RS album with self-penned titles is only 18 years ago, the author's former math teacher called. (red)

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: October 7, 2023 12:34

Irix
doitywoik

The Rolling Stones rocked once again

On the new album "Hackney Diamonds", the Rolling Stones reflect on their core competencies. That works surprisingly well.

BERNHARD FLIEHER · 6 OCTOBER 2023

61 years after the Rolling Stones were founded, a new album is ready: "Hackney Diamonds" will be released on 20 October. In the good moments of the twelve songs, the Stones - with Ron Wood and Keith Richards on guitars - reflect on their core competence: bluesy foundation with rocking forward momentum. Mick Jagger sings without larmoyance: "Too young for dying, too old to lose." There are reminiscences, contributions from colleagues like Lady Gaga or Paul McCartney and a "Rolling Stones Blues".

Old people are to be given the seats. But what if, like the Rolling Stones, they insist on driving the bus at 80? Then you make room. Out of politeness. And when they step on the gas, also out of amazement. Two weeks before the album "Hackney Diamonds" went on sale, you could hear what the Stones recorded in their very old days. Anyway, it was to be heard when you were emailed a link with an expiry date by the record company. So a night of pre-listening to the twelve Stones songs before they disappeared again for a fortnight. Conclusion: It rocks properly a few times, a few songs stray, a few, the best, are rooted in the dirty existentialism of the blues. Here and there something like a retrospective can be detected, a bit of malaise in the present, which comes through in the heavy rock in the song "Whole Wide World". The Stones have been quoting themselves since the mid-1970s anyway.

"Hackney Diamonds" is the first album with original songs since the terrible "Bigger Bang". If you want to go back to an album where the majority of the songs were good, you'll be lost until "Some Girls" from 1978. With Lady Gaga, representative of the modern age, and Stevie Wonder, dinosaur like the Stones themselves, they plunge into an opulent soul and gospel mass with "Sweet Sound of Heaven" that sprawls to almost ten minutes, a kind of prayer that is not muttered with folded hands but shot from Jagger's hip. "Teil Me Straight" shuffles along listlessly and sounds like a draft. But: it is sung by Keith Richards. "Dreamy Skies" is a gentle, folky fanfare featuring the great Hank Williams, a quasi declaration of love and world renunciation in one. Of course, you have already heard these songs somewhere similar on a Stones record. The band has been around for 61 years. And you haven't heard the Stones together with Paul McCartney on an album for just as long. He was the bass player in the other über-band of the 1960s. Oh yes, for all those who have trouble remembering: that was the Beatles. The song "Bite My Head Off" then sounds as if the old heroes have boyishly driven each other to fresh life.

Homage is also paid to the past life, because the late drummer Charlie Watts plays two more drums. One of the songs, "Mess it Up", unfortunately rattles along as if the sound of the drums came from beyond the Styx. In the good moments, the Stones remember their core competence on "Hackney Diamonds": bluesy foundation, enriched with rocking forward momentum, which puts Ron Wood and Keith Richards in position on the guitars. Always marvellous! Thematically, it's all about manageable topics: Woman gone, woman here, lust, loss, the world gone mad. "Angry", "Get Close" (with Elton John on piano) or "Driving Me Too Hard" tell about it. After at least two decades of boring, run-of-the-mill rocking, they had sharpened the core competence with which they roll off once again on the album "Blue & Lonesome". There they took up a few of the old blues songs on the basis of which they had once made a career. To close the new album, they put a song of their own in this tradition. "Rolling Stone Blues" is a mangy confession of existence as vagabonds. There, in sparseness, they follow the immortality of the blues with a line that Jagger sings earlier in the kitschy, yearning song "Depending an You" without any larmoyance: "Too young for dying, to old to lose".

[iorr.org]

"Hackney Diamonds" is the first album with original songs since the terrible "Bigger Bang". If you want to go back to an album where the majority of the songs were good, you'll be lost until "Some Girls" from 1978"

You forget Emotional Rescue and Tatoo You. Then i think that also SW, BTB and VL have the majority of good songs. Bigger Bang it's too long and some songs are usless filler.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-07 12:36 by HardRiffin.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 7, 2023 12:53

Okay, A BIGGER BANG surely isn't their best work, but "terrible". C'mon. I wonder how was the review of it like by this dude at the time, if he wrote any.

- Doxa

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 7, 2023 14:02

Critics advice should be taken with a grain of salt.

Some put their sentences in a different order than the previous critic just by copying sections.

rearrange the sentence of the guy before 'em ....don't take critics too seriously ..... just cut/paste and a lot of 'em

Yes..I know them, they're really quite tame
I had to rearrange their jail sentences
And give them both another name .... Spanish Sticky & Bitchus1220

ROCKMAN

Date: October 7, 2023 14:04

Irix
doitywoik

To close the new album, they put a song of their own in this tradition. "Rolling Stone Blues" ...

That's another line that made me smirk ... winking smiley

BTW, thank you Irix for posting the review as text. What was the trick?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 7, 2023 14:15

Most newspaper journalists aren't Stones fans and those who are have all retired. That's why these embarrassing mistakes are made. These 30-40 year-olds know nothing about the blues, or even the sixties and seventies.
It's even worse when it comes to etermedia. Often the journalist knows absolutely nothing about the band (except the things they google in advance).

Date: October 7, 2023 14:25

doitywoik

What was the trick?

[www.OnlineOCR.net] - (column by column) -> plain Text -> DeepL -> IORR.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: October 7, 2023 14:37

HardRiffin
These comparisons with past albums that reviewers make have really pissed me off.
This 'Best album since Some Girls/Tatoo You' has become really cloying and ridiculous.
Every album has its own history and must be contextualised with internal and external dynamics and many factors.
Let's just enjoy this new album and i'm sure we won't be disappointed!

Yes, totally agree! Spot on comment. Equally so the comment from Stoneage immediately before this one. What we are fed is almost always facile, lazy 'journalism'. Cut and paste cliche-ridden writing. Indifferent and unbalanced analysis of both the music and the performances.

I pay much more attention to the comments made by contributors to this site than to any journalists. And get all my information here. I may disagree with some comments, but I NEVER disrespect any opinions expressed, or doubt that the writer is a true fan who has also travelled the hard miles supporting the band and, even more importantly, LISTENING to their music.

I really wonder how many journalists have done that!

Posted by: goingmad ()
Date: October 7, 2023 14:45

rebelhipi
Next single with Charlie!

Those ''best album since Tattoo You'' mean nothing to me since i rank Bridges To Babylon higher than Tattoo You.

me too, I prefer Bridges to Babylon

Date: October 7, 2023 15:12

Thanks, Irix! thumbs up

Among the Austrian print media, Oberösterreichisches Volksblatt and News have the same review, apparently taken from the Austrian Press Agency (see below).

Kurier and Die Presse also have reviews but I can’t access the respective texts. (Not my day ...)

[www.news.at]
[volksblatt.at]

Rolling Stones in good form on "Hackney Diamonds" album
by APA - Austria Press Agency

On their past tour, The Rolling Stones showed themselves in impressive form. Whether they have transported this quality into the studio, fans can judge from October 20. Then "Hackney Diamonds" will be released, the band's first album of original songs since 2005. It can be said: The Rolling Stones have delivered a strong work that reworks numerous trademarks of the group - from rockers to blues and disco sounds to country, everything is there.

The journey through the colorful, varied album (with the Stones this is still a meaningful art form) begins with the well-known first single "Angry". After this snappy rock song, the band takes a step back in the following "Get Close", but the great beat of neo-drummer Steve Jordan grooves the song with saxophone solo that rises to an anthem wonderfully, to Elton John strumming on the piano and Mick Jagger sings as if he had just turned 20.

Delicate country guitars introduce "Depending On You," but remain in the background on this pop ballad. "I'm too old to die and too old to live," Jagger sings. But there's no lamenting: no sooner is "Bite My Head Off" counted in than the gentlemen, backed by Paul McCartney, shred through a party smash that makes many a newcomer look old. "Come on, Paul, let's hear the bass!", Jagger asks the ex-Beatle, who doesn't ask twice for a solo. In addition, razor-sharp guitars: producer Andrew Watt even speaks of the "punk song" of the album.

Keith Richards and Ron Wood deliver beautiful riffs, quoting themselves, but by no means transfigured. So also to "Whole Wide World", an uplifting hymn with melodic chorus, torpedoed by aggressive guitar sounds. This is followed programmatically by a dragging country number, "Dreamy Sky," beautifully maudlin, classic Stones, the heart bleeds.

Along with Paul McCartney's guest appearance, "Mess It Up" and "Live By The Sword" are probably the most eagerly anticipated songs, with the late Charlie Watts wielding the drumsticks on both. "Mess It Up," a rock song with an earworm disco chorus a la "Miss You" that only the Stones could come up with, once again impressively documents how Watts formed the band's rhythmic foundation.

But that's not all: On the wonderfully old-fashioned rhythm-and-blues track "Live By The Sword" you experience an unexpected reunion with bassist Bill Wyman and thus the classic rhythm section of the Stones. When Elton John intersperses a casual boogie piano in the style of the band founder Ian Stewart, who died in 1985, and the duo Richards/Wood lets the blues guitars roar, time stands still.

Driving Me Too Hard" is allowed to ripple along a bit, Jagger's fantastic vocals ennoble even the less strong moments anyway. Speaking of vocals: Keith Richards takes over on "Tell Me Straight", an introspective ballad for the blue hour. With the second single "Sweet Sounds Of Heaven" it goes into the soulful finale: Jagger and Lady Gaga increase in the duet, Stevie Wonder presses the keys - and all with a lot of elegance and feeling. What is still missing? A trip to the very early days. This is done with the concluding, earthy "Rolling Stone Blues" (Jagger on harp).

To compare "Hackney Diamonds" with the early album classics would be presumptuous. But that the Brits produce such an album about 60 years after their foundation and 18 years after the rather lukewarm "A Bigger Bang" and that one is able to determine after only three passes that it does not belong to their worst, deserves recognition. Even more: Should "Hackney Diamonds" be the band's last album, it would be a very worthy conclusion.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 7, 2023 15:19

MelBelli

Mick's interview with Mark Goodman is available On Demand on the SiriusXM app.

Date: October 7, 2023 15:30

GerardHennessy

As described by the newspaper 'Salzburger Nachrichten' above: "So a night of pre-listening to the twelve Stones songs before they disappeared again for a fortnight." Nowadays it's only a short listening session (to prevent leaks) - and then journalists have to write their reviews, although they could only spend a short time with the new album.

Date: October 7, 2023 16:29

I wonder if those journalists could also see the complete artwork (possibly not) or were only given streaming links.

Date: October 7, 2023 16:44

Irix
GerardHennessy

As described by the newspaper 'Salzburger Nachrichten' above: "So a night of pre-listening to the twelve Stones songs before they disappeared again for a fortnight." Nowadays it's only a short listening session (to prevent leaks) - and then journalists have to write their reviews, although they could only spend a short time with the new album.

What was to prevent them from playing the tracks on a speakers and recording them? More astute ones could likely have recorded the stream directly on their computer.

--------------

Date: October 7, 2023 16:50

gotdablouse

What was to prevent them from playing the tracks on a speakers and recording them?

The only thing that is safe is that nothing is safe. winking smiley

European Central Bank: "376,000 counterfeit euro banknotes withdrawn from circulation in 2022" - [www.ECB.Europa.eu] .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-07 17:10 by Irix.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: October 7, 2023 16:52

Some things that should not be missing from any cheap Stones review:

- best album since Some Girls/Exile / their playing is the best since [insert random year here]
- their combined age ("together they are 235 years old...")
- some standard puns using their song titles that have been used for 40+ years ("Stones fans will definetly get some Satisfaction" "Stones fans still get what they need" "It's only rock n roll but fans still love it")
- their last tour / album?
- some Beatles / Stones comparison
- calling them "rock n roll dinosaurs", "rock n roll grandpa's" or something similar
- that Jagger is still running 12 miles on stage

Have I missed anything?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-07 16:55 by StonedRambler.

Date: October 7, 2023 18:09

StonedRambler
Have I missed anything?

Yeah, another recurring theme appears to be that ABB wasn't a super-great album.

Posted by: Putty ()
Date: October 7, 2023 18:10

StonedRambler
Some things that should not be missing from any cheap Stones review:

- best album since Some Girls/Exile / their playing is the best since [insert random year here]
- their combined age ("together they are 235 years old...")
- some standard puns using their song titles that have been used for 40+ years ("Stones fans will definetly get some Satisfaction" "Stones fans still get what they need" "It's only rock n roll but fans still love it")
- their last tour / album?
- some Beatles / Stones comparison
- calling them "rock n roll dinosaurs", "rock n roll grandpa's" or something similar
- that Jagger is still running 12 miles on stage

Have I missed anything?

Time is on their side.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...113114115116117118119120121122123...LastNext
Current Page: 118 of 138

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1798
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home