Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6364656667686970717273...LastNext
Current Page: 68 of 138
Re: Hackney Diamonds - New Rolling Stones album due out soon!
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 6, 2023 21:54

Yeah, Mick pretty much gives us an answer to many our speculations during all those years in that massive thread we followed the devolopment of the new album. They started almost from a scratch less than a year ago. They seemingly weren't satisfied with the material recorded by then.

In the end of the day, during all those (wasted) years they recorded only two good enough songs to be released (plus "Ghost Town"). And they all are from 2019. So before that: nada! Forget "Mick's 40 demos", "Keith's three dynamite riffs", etc.

Probably they (Mick?) became to the conclusion that the half-retired 'lazy' model does not suit to them. You know, a random session here and then, probably one week once every six months or so. They needed a deadline to have a commitment, focus and purpose. And then work their asses off...

- Doxa

Posted by: EasterMan ()

Angry is pretty good, not their best album opener, but I like it better than Sad Sad Sad at least.

Rough Justice > Angry

Flip The Switch > Angry

Love Is Strong > Angry

Angry > Sad Sad Sad

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()

ronkort
So what is the most prized posession of all different limited editions?

Probably the boxset version, but for me, I really like the shattered diamond T-shirt, the German exclusive non-cover litho, the slipmat, the purple vinyl, and the blue vinyl. I guess without having a tour to splurge on this year, I can justify buying what? 7 different vinyl versions (if the rumors of the clear vinyl are true), plus the Japanese CD/BluRay version, plus the boxset, plus the 3 versions of the single. By God. Who needs to heat the house when there's new Stones music to be had?!?!?!

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: September 6, 2023 21:55

tiffanyblu
Video is doing great. #9 on trendig music on YT. Though, to be number one on the charts (video) one needs 5-6m streams/day. Atm its about 400k and may end the day at around 1m = top 50!

Their most streamed is Anybody seen my baby at 75m. Living in a Ghost town is at place 23 with 13m streams.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: September 6, 2023 21:56

The only thing that bothers me a bit on "Angry" is the pitch correction on Jaggers voice, most evident in the "we haven't made love and I wonder why" part. It's just too unnaturally tuned for my taste.
Apart from thata good song, builds up nicely and has some nice guitar licks and bass playing in it.

Posted by: howlingmad ()
Date: September 6, 2023 22:01

"Angry" sounds so @#$%& good. I can't wait to hear the country and gospel influenced songs with this kind of production. Even Mick's vocals on the high parts sound better than anything since...Bridges To Bablyon, maybe?

It's clear they learned from Blue and Lonesome that less can be more when it comes to the track list. The reference to this being the start of a "new era" and lack of bonus tracks on the single suggest they may be planning to use the remaining 11 songs for another album in a year or so. If Hackney Diamonds does well, you obviously don't want to wait 18 years to follow it up!

(One thing reading various online comments about this event has revealed: The Stones never get old but their fans absolutely do. I'm fully convinced the band has some kind of Dorian Gray voodoo going on!)

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 6, 2023 22:08

JumpingKentFlash
Are they really having a cover of Rolling Stone Blues on it?

Brings the story full circle, if true.

The song that inspired their name and they finally release a version of it 61 years later on what could well be their final studio album

We know that this mysterious 'Morning Joe Cues' was registered as a song title with the publishers.

Can we presume that'll be the bonus track on the Japanese version?

Posted by: vibrolux ()
Date: September 6, 2023 22:10

(Deleted. Reposted on thr Fallon thread)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-06 22:12 by vibrolux.

Posted by: petewasbristol ()
Date: September 6, 2023 22:12

I'm convinced that they have another album on the way next year. A few subtle hints today.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 6, 2023 22:13

Gazza
JumpingKentFlash
Are they really having a cover of Rolling Stone Blues on it?

Brings the story full circle, if true.

The song that inspired their name and they finally release a version of it 61 years later on what could well be their final studio album

We know that this mysterious 'Morning Joe Cues' was registered as a song title with the publishers.

Can we presume that'll be the bonus track on the Japanese version?

I’ve been an advocate for ending the last album with a cover song (touting Can’t Turn You Loose for years). They do that song really good, and it’s kind of reminiscent of Bruce Springsteen doing Shout at the end of his shows. That song could be a great ending to the film… The only better choice would be Rolling Stone Blues - I really hope that happens. There is no better way.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: September 6, 2023 22:16

Doxa
Yeah, Mick pretty much gives us an answer to many our speculations during all those years in that massive thread we followed the devolopment of the new album. They started almost from a scratch less than a year ago. They seemingly weren't satisfied with the material recorded by then.

In the end of the day, during all those (wasted) years they recorded only two good enough songs to be released (plus "Ghost Town"). And they all are from 2019. So before that: nada! Forget "Mick's 40 demos", "Keith's three dynamite riffs", etc.

Probably they (Mick?) became to the conclusion that the half-retired 'lazy' model does not suit to them. You know, a random session here and then, probably one week once every six months or so. They needed a deadline to have a commitment, focus and purpose. And then work their asses off...

- Doxa

I think it might had to do with Charlie. They tried to get together in the studio a few times in his last years but it seems that working really intensely on the album was not possible. Now it seems all three of them were motivated to do three months of intense working.

Of course they wouldn't say that, so it's "we just have been lazy"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-06 22:19 by StonedRambler.

Hackney Diamonds - New Rolling Stones album due out October 20
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 6, 2023 22:18

The Rolling Stones confirm details of new album Hackney Diamonds

By Mark Savage and Steven McIntosh
BBC News

The Rolling Stones have unveiled their first album of original material since 2005, and the first since the death of drummer Charlie Watts.

Hackney Diamonds will feature 12 tracks and be released on 20 October, preceded by lead single Angry.

Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood and Sir Mick Jagger announced the album on Wednesday at an event in Hackney.

Richards said: "Ever since Charlie's gone, it's been different, he's number four. Of course he's missed."

But, he added, the new album will feature Steve Jordan in Watts' place, a drummer Richards said the band knew from "way back" and who filled Watts' seat on tour this summer.

"It would have been a lot harder without Charlie's blessing," Richards said, explaining that Watts had previously told the band Jordan should replace him if he ever was not around to record.

Watts died in 2021 aged 80, prior to the band's 60th anniversary tour, after suffering from throat cancer.

Sir Mick explained: "The album has 12 tracks. Most are with Steve, but two are tracks we recorded in 2019 with Charlie."

The album is preceded by a new lead single, titled Angry, which also received its premiere at the event in Hackney.

Euphoria actress Sydney Sweeney, who was sitting in the audience at the launch event where she was briefly interviewed by host Jimmy Fallon, features in the music video for the song.

In a five-star review, the Telegraph's Neil McCormick called the song "an absolute blast," describing it as the band's best single in 40 years.

Discussing the recording of the album, Wood told Fallon: "We did it pretty quickly actually.

"There were lots of ideas floating around, we gathered them together just before Christmas last year and made a go of it."

The record will feature Lady Gaga, and other rumoured guest stars include Sir Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder.

Asked about the gap since 2016's Blue & Lonesome, an album of blues covers, Sir Mick said: "We've been on the road most of the time, maybe we were a bit too lazy, but then we said, 'let's put a deadline'."

He said the band cut 23 tracks, which were mixed in February, before deciding on the final 12 to include on the album.

Sir Mick said the sound of the album was "angry", like the title of the lead single, but added there was an "eclectic" mixture of genres on the record, including love songs and ballads.

He continued: "I don't want to be big headed but we wouldn't have put this album out if we hadn't really liked it. We said we had to make a record we really love ourselves.

"We are quite pleased with it, we are not big headed about it, but we hope you all like it."

One fan told the BBC he had flown in from Poland just for the launch, which was also livestreamed on YouTube.

"They are the kings of rock and roll," he said. "We've been waiting 18 years to get some new Rolling Stones music and finally here it is. I think it's a really special day."

Another said: "It's fantastic that they're doing all this, I've been a fan of theirs for a very long time - I first saw them in the mid-1960s."

One attendee said he was a "hardcore fan" of the group. "It's so great they've come here today to Hackney," he said. "To me, they're original rockers, they've never changed, they're dynamite."

Speaking to BBC News after the press conference, Wood confirmed the band would likely take the new material on tour.

Asked about Watts, he added: "I was with Charlie before he passed, and he said 'make sure Steve Jordan covers for me until I'm repaired enough to come and join you'. So Steve has his blessing, and that's a really comforting thing."

The last track on the album is a cover of Muddy Waters' Rollin' Stone, but Richards said it should not be perceived as the band saying goodbye.

"That's not intended," he said, "it was actually Andrew Watt who came up with a 1920s guitar, and said 'maybe you guys could finally do a song that the name of the band came from".

"And Mick and I looked at each other and said 'yeah, OK'. So there it is, it's more a tip of the hat to Muddy Waters, Chicago and all the blues men we learned our stuff from."

The announcement of Hackney Diamonds follows a teaser campaign that began with an unassuming advert in the Hackney Gazette - a free newspaper distributed in corner shops and supermarkets that covers the London borough.

Ostensibly for a local glazing firm, the blurb contained several references to Rolling Stones songs, and a phone number where fans could register interest.

Over the weekend, the band also shared a preview of one of the songs, via a website called dontgetangrywithme.com.

However, it was another elaborate ruse: after a prolonged loading screen, the site only played a short snippet of music before appearing to crash.

The band responded to supposed difficulties on social media with the message, "Sorry, don't get angry with me" - a reference to the song's opening lyric.

But all was finally revealed in Hackney on Wednesday afternoon, with all three remaining Stones - Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood - in attendance.

"New album, new music, new era," a trailer for the livestream promised.

The album will be their first since 2016's Blue & Lonesome, which featured covers of the songs by Little Walter and Howlin' Wolf that first inspired them to form a band in the 1960s.

Before that, their last album of original material was 2005's A Bigger Bang, trumpeted as a return to basics, but which failed to reach the heights achieved by classics like Sticky Fingers and Exile On Main Street.

-----

Analysis By Mark Savage
Music Correspondent

The stage is littered with fallen chandeliers, the famous lips logo is slashed to pieces. The Stones might be entering their 80s, but they're not going quietly.

Sir Mick and Ronnie bound onto the stage, vamping for the crowd and stirring up a frenzy. Keith Richards hangs back in his shades and a trilby hat, forever cool.

They're in a playful mood, teasing Jimmy Fallon for his questions ("the first track is called Angry, what's the main emotion behind that?"), and singing an impromptu version of the 1965 track Off The Hook.

"Mick and Keith, you've been together longer than me an my wife. What's the secret?" asks a fan.

"Don't talk too much," Sir Mick fires back.

The trio are obviously energised by the new album, with Keith talking up the "damn funky riffs" and Sir Mick declaring: "We wouldn't have put this album out if we hadn't really liked it."

"I'll drink to that," replies Ronnie.

They also confirm some of the big rumours - Lady Gaga will appear on a song called Sweet Sound Of Heaven, and drummer Charlie Watts features on two of the 12 songs.

The scale of the press conference is reassuringly old school. There's an endless free bar, a rowdy phalanx of paparazzi, and broadcasters from all around the world - Australia, Brazil, China, Germany, the US - elbowing each other for prime position.

Outside, pressed against the barriers, fans have come from just as far afield - waving banners and clutching albums in the hope Sir Mick's brought a Sharpie.

As it ends, we hear one new song: The rowdy and rambunctious Angry, which finds Mick Jagger in the middle of a domestic fight, snarling like a Rottweiler, but hoping for reconciliation.

If the relationship has to end, he says, "Let's go out in a blaze."

For what could realistically be the Stones' final album, that's a solid manifesto.

[www.bbc.com]

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: September 6, 2023 22:22

Is it already clear what song Keith sings on the album? Sorry I missed that

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 6, 2023 22:28

NilsHolgersson

Hes singing lead on 'Tell me straight'. He claimed Mick tried to steal it from him, so 'it must be good'

They didnt specifically mention any others, but I guess its possible there may be a second.

Date: September 6, 2023 22:28

NilsHolgersson

Tell Me Straight

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-06 22:38 by VoodooLounge13.

Posted by: howlingmad ()
Date: September 6, 2023 22:31

I just hope we get more tracks with Keith playing bass!

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: September 6, 2023 22:33

StonedRambler
Doxa

- Doxa

I think it might had to do with Charlie. They tried to get together in the studio a few times in his last years but it seems that working really intensely on the album was not possible. Now it seems all three of them were motivated to do three months of intense working.

And the Stones, like others, will always prefer to say (tell rather) that the album was done quickly after all... No worries, it was really easy and spontaneous, you know.
Even if it took 18 years.
Of course.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: September 6, 2023 22:37

Gazza
NilsHolgersson

Hes singing lead on 'Tell me straight'. He claimed Mick tried to steal it from him, so 'it must be good'

They didnt specifically mention any others, but I guess its possible there may be a second.

Aahh okay thanks

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 6, 2023 22:38

powerage78
StonedRambler
Doxa

- Doxa

And the Stones, like others, will always prefer to say (tell rather) that the album was done quickly after all... No worries, it was really easy and spontaneous, you know.
Even if it took 18 years.
Of course.

The "get it done quickly" approach served them well with Blue & Lonesome.

But wasn't it also the approach they took with A Bigger Bang?

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-06 22:43 by drewmaster.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: September 6, 2023 22:38

It’s excellent. A big big step up from what I expected.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 6, 2023 22:40

Gazza

We know that this mysterious 'Morning Joe Cues' was registered as a song title with the publishers. Can we presume that'll be the bonus track on the Japanese version?

This mysterious track was registered at American ASCAP but not at French SACEM and German GEMA.

The ISWC-Code of 'Morning Joe Cues' (T-310.348.324-1) is completely different from the other 11 tracks - [iorr.org] .

There's currently also no 'Rolling Stone Blues' registered for Jagger, Richards or Stones at SACEM and GEMA.

'Rolling Stone Blues' by Jaime Saso (2019) - [www.Qobuz.com] , [www.Facebook.com] .

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-07 00:00 by Irix.

Date: September 6, 2023 22:44

Irix

RS No.9 Carnaby Red Exclusive - [RSno9.co.uk]

Clear Green Vinyl - Amazon Exclusive - [www.Amazon.com]

Transparent Purple (Fuchsia) Vinyl - exclusive at [www.jpc.de] and [HMV.com]

Target Exclusive Vinyl - [www.Target.com]

Crystal Clear Blue Vinyl - [TheRollingStonesShop.co.uk] , [TheRollingStonesShop.com] , [www.Bravado.de] , [Platenzaak.nl] .

Thanks for posting all these links, Irix. To me, the Target one looks more fuscia than the HMV one. I'm wondering if they are both the same color, as both covers list translucent purple? Perhaps Target is getting the purple version that other countries get?

And does anyone know where these LP's are getting pressed?

Date: September 6, 2023 22:45

Well.. I wouldn't say they were lazy..
How many 70+ year olds have a rock music tour every year, produce and star in movies, release singles, work on re-issues, release a Grammy award winning blues album, father children.. tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-06 22:46 by NilsHolgersson.

Date: September 6, 2023 22:45

I think I like the Amazon exclusive version of the cover the best. It is absolutely incredibly sexual.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: September 6, 2023 22:46

gotdablouse
The sound of the (at times "walking") bass is really something ! Can't say I've ever heard anything like that before !

Yeah the chorus (or bridge?)...I remember writing that "Don't Get Angry, Fix It" sounded like a poor man's "Don't Get Mad, Get Even" and that chorus does sound a bit Aerosmith, no ?

I’d agree that it sounds a shade Aerosmith. But then I love Aerosmith and they ripped off the Stones anyway so it’s all good

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 6, 2023 22:47

The last track on the album is a cover of Muddy Waters' Rollin' Stone, but Richards said it should not be perceived as the band saying goodbye.

"That's not intended," he said, "it was actually Andrew Watt who came up with a 1920s guitar, and said 'maybe you guys could finally do a song that the name of the band came from".

"And Mick and I looked at each other and said 'yeah, OK'. So there it is, it's more a tip of the hat to Muddy Waters, Chicago and all the blues men we learned our stuff from."

Dammit! The cover of Muddy's "Rollin' Stone" actually is the last track of the album! Beautiful! Bless you heart, Andrew Watt.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-06 22:57 by Doxa.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 6, 2023 22:51

Irix
Gazza

We know that this mysterious 'Morning Joe Cues' was registered as a song title with the publishers. Can we presume that'll be the bonus track on the Japanese version?

This mysterious track was registered at American ASCAP but not at French SACEM and German GEMA.

The ISWC-Code of 'Morning Joe Cues' (T-310.348.324-1) is completely different from the other 11 tracks - [iorr.org] .

And it's the only song on that list tthat mentions that there are "no performers", unlike the others.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 6, 2023 22:55

VoodooLounge13

To me, the Target one looks more fuscia than the HMV one. I'm wondering if they are both the same color, as both covers list translucent purple?

Maybe the Fuchsia edition is the same at jpc, HMV and Target. Barcode is 602455464613 at Target and HMV. Target says: 'Made in the USA'.

I've edited the overview on page 63 - [iorr.org] . But currently jpc and HMV are showing a different color (purple) than Target (fuchsia).

Interpretations of the Fuchsia color - Wikipedia .

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-07 23:45 by Irix.

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: September 6, 2023 23:00

I have listened to this first single about ten times and i have very positive feelings that this new album will be really good, eclectic and very enjoyable.
After all, that's what we want from the Stones! Those who want to hear their 60s sound, listen to albums from that period...and so on.
Those who want monolithic sounding albums or 'copy and paste' albums ... listen to other bands.
I love 'em more than ever!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 6, 2023 23:09

VoodooLounge13
NilsHolgersson

Tell Me Straight

Yep so it's unlikely to be the "Really Wanna Tel The Truth" snippet as was hypothesized when the tracklist leaked.

As for "Morning Joe Cues" wasn't the consensus that "Cues" pointed to some kind od incidental music used in the "Morning Joe" program like another "cues" registration someone had spotted ?

Angry has grown on me thanks to the eye-popping production (and did I mention the bass, hehe...) bit I'm still appalled at the video's vibe, i.e. "poll dancing on a car", but I suppose we have Pete Townsend to blame for that since he told them not to grow old gracefully during the 1989 RnR HoF induction ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-06 23:23 by gotdablouse.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6364656667686970717273...LastNext
Current Page: 68 of 138

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2336
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home