Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Half a century ago, Angie, how was the song received in your country?
Posted by: CrosseyedHeart ()
Date: August 16, 2023 02:01

I remember my mother saying that every time she got in the car and turned on the radio that song was on!
Big hit in the US. I was in high school when the album came out-and a huge Stones fan-everyone knew it-and my name is Doug so my nickname became “Mr D.”

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: August 16, 2023 02:19

Excerpts from an interview with Yuji Ikeda san:

- Did you see the Wembley Empire Pool shows on September 7, 8 and 9?

Yes, as for the 8th, I saw a night show. Several attendees also saw the first show.
I saw David Bowie's first show in Japan in April before I went to London, and it was amazing.
At that point, I concluded, "There's nothing else left for me to do," and departed for London.
Due to this experience, I did not have high expectations for the Stones.

But when the show began, it shocked me so intensely, I couldn't think straight. The first song was the loud rocking 'Brown Sugar'.
The album 'Goat's Head Soup' had just come out on August 31, and I hadn't listened to it yet.

When I was going to go back to Japan, I found out that the album was being shown in a record store in London.
I had heard "Angie" as a single before (it was released on August 20), but the way it was performed was not the same as the record, and it was even rougher.

I've always been a fan of Keith, but when I saw him perform, I jumped with excitement and said, "That's amazing!"
I was at the very front of the stage where Keith performed, and Rod Stewart, Jeff Beck, David Gilmour, and others were there in a separate section; it was genuinely thrilling.

While playing "Tumbling Dice," security officers argued with some people standing in front of the fence. Mick saw this and hurled a silver platter at the security guard!
He was pretty ferocious (laughs). Mick kicked out them from the show. Afterwards, the audience quickly returned to the stage. At that moment, the excitement was unimaginable.

Tickets for the concert were about JPY 3,000. Compared to today, it was very inexpensive.
Back then, only a few media people might have seen the show, though, what if true fans like us fail to see it?
This was my strong and focused emotions.

I was only 20 years old when I felt incredibly driven to share what I had experienced with everyone in Japan.
As a result, I became a representative of the fan club. Not very cool, though.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: August 16, 2023 12:52

By the time the Stones released Angie their image had solidified into them been a hard living and hard playing rocking band. I believe that it must have been a surprise for them to see how the public at large accepted a soften version of the band. But it showed that the Stones' capacity at adapting and at evolving into a cameleon-like music business was strong and enduring.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: slew ()
Date: August 20, 2023 18:17

Reached number one here in the States. I wasn't really a fan in 1973 but remember hearing it on the countdown hit number one. I was only nine. My sister who was five years older than me loved it and it got her hooked on the band which eventually got me hooked and osmewhat obsessed with the band.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 23, 2023 07:34

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 23, 2023 09:00

Lets put it this way ....
Its never let me down ...
Its always knocked me heart around ....

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1724
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home