Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
How about The Stones doing a true "Unplugged" show?
Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: August 11, 2023 15:27

In their 60 glorious years we've been fortunate that "The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World" have played thousands of concerts all over the planet. We've been treated to massive shows like Brazil, historic shows of the '69 tour, huge stadiums from '81 to the present, guest-filled pay-per view shows, and even a few intimate shows from the "four flicks" era. We've seen it all, except one thing - a truly unplugged/acoustic style show in a very small studio like many other artists did on MTV. The "Stripped" shows were close, but not quite the same. At the age they are now, we're fortunate that they're even capable of doing a live show, Would you all like to see a few shows like this? Obviously not many fans could attend, but a properly recorded blu-ray release of our favorite band doing a full show acoustically without all the fireworks, blow up dolls, Mick running all about in a track suit, flames etc... could be pretty awesome - Just the band doing their best stuff with a few deep cuts would be "something new" after all these years.

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking "Play with Fire", "As Tears Go By", "You Got The Silver", "Angie" -

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-13 11:02 by bv.

Re: What are your thoughts on the Stones doing a true "Unplugged" show?
Date: August 11, 2023 15:29

They did an abbreviated version of this in 1994 at the Miami PPV.

It was called Stones "Unglued" if I remember correctly.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 11, 2023 15:30

Many of we would love it ...

...but no beggar else would grinning smiley

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: August 11, 2023 15:32

Richards declared he couldn’t care less making the usual unplugged thing and, thus, we got the Stripped album that has to be meant as The Rolling Stones version of the unplugged trend of the 90’s

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: August 11, 2023 16:38

I loved all the Stripped recordings, but doubt they’d want to do a whole concert. Maybe a mini-set of 3 or 4 songs would be something they could get into though - I’d love that!

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: August 11, 2023 16:52

the days of MTV unplugged are long gone…
With Stripped they did their own version of 'unplugged' which was better than most recordings of the MTV unplugged series.

Posted by: MizzAmandaJonez ()
Date: August 11, 2023 17:11

Great idea for the 2043 “Centenarian” tour

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: August 11, 2023 19:02

Not possible with Keith,s guitarplaying now

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: August 11, 2023 19:56

Terrible idea. That is not who they have been, nor who they are. Also, given their ages, they need the noise, the volume to compensate for their lessened singing and playing abilities. I wonder which of their warhorses could be preformed unplugged? Just one fan's opinion . . .

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 11, 2023 20:40

DaveG
Terrible idea . . .

It's a fantastic idea, there's no downside. Older is MORE a reason to do this, and as for its not who they are ... umm, well it is not who any band is that had great success w/ it - Nirvana, Oasis (didn't Metallica do one?), etc.

Furthermore, how great are some of those clips they have already done, like the Country Honk w/ Mick/Keith several years ago, and then the You Can't Always Get What You Want during COVID. How any fan not possibly want more of this is totally beyond me ...

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: August 11, 2023 20:43

DaveG
(…) Also, given their ages, they need the noise, the volume to compensate for their lessened singing and playing abilities. (…)

very good point

Date: August 11, 2023 20:47

I don't think something like this would work well.

Traditionally the shows would start up tempo, slow down a bit, and then out with a bang.

How would you do this without all the glitz and glamour?

The idea sounds great to me. If they wanted to do it they would have done it in the 90's when the unplugged idea was fresh.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: August 11, 2023 21:20

Don't see it ever happening... but I would love just a Jagger/Richards acoustic set of 4 or 5 songs

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 11, 2023 21:30

umakmehrd

Don't see it ever happening... but I would love just a Jagger/Richards acoustic set of 4 or 5 songs

At the No Filter US-Tour 2019 they did acoustic sets of 2 songs on the B-stage: [iorr.org] - (see the reports).

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: August 11, 2023 21:54

Irix

At the No Filter US-Tour 2019 they did acoustic sets of 2 songs on the B-stage: [iorr.org] - (see the reports).

But it wasn't a Jagger/Richards acoustic set à la 1969-70, was it?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-12 10:15 by Topi.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: August 11, 2023 22:44

No thanks

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: August 11, 2023 22:50

Too late for more of that.

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: August 11, 2023 23:21

It won’t happen but I would really like to see it. I would enjoy a truly unplugged show, and not just a few songs, I mean the entire show. Deep cuts and perhaps acoustic versions of some of the hits. I’ve enjoyed every Rolling Stones show I’ve attended but it would be great to see a complete departure from the usual.
Mick doesn’t need to run around a stage in a football stadium to keep me engaged.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: August 11, 2023 23:27

DaveG
Terrible idea. That is not who they have been, nor who they are. Also, given their ages, they need the noise, the volume to compensate for their lessened singing and playing abilities. I wonder which of their warhorses could be preformed unplugged? Just one fan's opinion . . .

Couldn't have said it better myself ! I fully agree ....

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: August 11, 2023 23:33

I thought STRIPPED was great, and there is a bootleg of it whose name escapes me (maybe STRIPPED AWAY or something ?) which is equally great. But to try and re-enact that these days, 20 or more years on ? Hmmm ? Not sure if they could credibly carry that off successfully and to good critical acclaim !?

Date: August 12, 2023 02:14

paulywaul
… there is a bootleg of it whose name escapes me (maybe STRIPPED AWAY or something ?) which is equally great…

I’ve found More Stripped and Stripped Companion. If there is more, I’d love to know!

Posted by: juano ()
Date: August 12, 2023 02:24

SomeTorontoGirl
If there is more, I’d love to know!

The Rolling Stones – EMI Studio
[www.discogs.com]

Date: August 12, 2023 02:45

juano
SomeTorontoGirl
If there is more, I’d love to know!

The Rolling Stones – EMI Studio
[www.discogs.com]

Wow! Thanks for the info. Now…to get my grubby little paws on this!

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: August 12, 2023 03:00

Zero chance, Mick will be bored to death with only 10 minutes in rehearsals.

Actually less than zero chances, the last Stones show was over 1 year ago and the last Stones show not in a large stadium/arena and no warhorse leaded was in 2015.

It's easier to play the same songs over and over again, jamming the warhorses during 10 minutes each, less work and the tourist crowd is happier.

Posted by: StonesSoCal ()
Date: August 12, 2023 03:36

Never ever will happen... nice idea, but this is not and has not been in their blood as individuals, a band or as a business/entertainment model.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 12, 2023 04:43

Been there Done that. What’s next? Ed Sullivan?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 12, 2023 06:02

Drool here baby ..........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 12, 2023 07:49

If it was to be done, in total, it should have been done a long, long time ago.

Date: August 12, 2023 18:56

Rockman

Drool here baby ..........

Fab, but that was then, and folk are ruminating about now, or 2024 lets say. I wonder if they could pull off a 2 hour show of material of this sort of "quality delivery" these days ? If they think they could, if they think their skills haven't dimmed too much, then yep - it would indeed be great, and I would happily pay good money to be there and see it !

But if, as someone mentioned earlier in this thread, their skills have now dimmed to the point where they need the cover of background noise to partially disguise the fact, well then ... maybe not ?

Furk knows what, if anything, they'll ever do on a stage again ?

Posted by: django ()
Date: August 12, 2023 22:41

Mick Jagger and Keith Richards on the Paradiso ‘stripped’ shows (1995):
Mick: “All sitting on stools in a line – that wasn’t really the Rolling Stones. Also, I thought MTV Unplugged was really boring television… The results of the filmed Tokyo sessions were terrible. It was the dullest TV I’d ever seen – and boring without an audience. So we finally decided, Let’s do a club show. And we lighted on the Paradiso. It’s an interesting old place. We’d never actually played there. But I went there to score drugs once (laughs)….

…We had to do this nod to the acoustic business, to see if it works. In rehearsal, Beast of Burden was really good. But last night, with the audience, it was a bust because I couldn’t hear anything. I wasn’t singing on my own out there. I had 100 backing vocalists going, Never, never, never in funny Dutch English. I felt that we would take the best elements from Unplugged, the intimate thing of it, without actually doing it completely unplugged.”

Keith: “When this whole thing came up, I said, Guys, forget about the acoustic guitars. It’s about ATTITUDE. Scale it down, take it back to where the song was when you were cutting it.”
rollingstonesdata.com

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2403
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home