Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Blue Sunday & the Cockroaches (Stones content)
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 1, 2023 23:42

How come this gig is never mentioned for the Vault? An El Mocambo type recording in a small club prior to their '81 USA tour? Surely they recorded it. Morgan Cove was after El Mocambo. They must have learned their lesson from that one and recorded it right. An interesting set list with a few oldies covers. What's not to like? Does anyone know if they video recorded it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-02 07:03 by 24FPS.

Re: Blue Sunday & the Cockroaches (Stones content)
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 3, 2023 14:27

I wouldnt expect too much from this one...
The playing must have been very very rough : see the kind of musical "quality" they delivered a few days later in Philie. eye rolling smiley

Therefore I doubt Jagger hired a 16-tracks remote unit to record it. It must exist in the Vault as a board cassette with a label that says "not to be circulated".

24FPS
An interesting set list with a few oldies covers.

Must have the standard one for the tour plus Mona and DTRApiece and maybe Tops. It was not a club-show in the manner of the Mocambo, but a public rehearsal for the upcoming tour.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-03 14:36 by dcba.

Date: August 3, 2023 17:28

where can i find a confirmed setlist of this mysterious show

Date: August 3, 2023 17:36

PaintMonkeyManBlack

According to SetlistFM, this is what they played:

Everybody Needs Somebody to Love
Mona
Under My Thumb
When the Whip Comes Down
Miss You
Shattered
Neighbours
Let It Bleed
I Just Want to Make Love to You
She's So Cold
All Down the Line
Hang Fire
Honky Tonk Women
Start Me Up
Sympathy for the Devil
Brown Sugar
Jumpin' Jack Flash

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-03 17:36 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: August 4, 2023 00:06

dcba
The playing must have been very very rough : see the kind of musical "quality" they delivered a few days later in Philie. eye rolling smiley

Therefore I doubt Jagger hired a 16-tracks remote unit to record it. It must exist in the Vault as a board cassette with a label that says "not to be circulated".

Maybe. But things sound better for the Stones with the passage of time. Especially when it has the original Wyman/Watts rhythm section, and a setlist some variance to the norm. El Mocambo sounds great. I'm sure a live album from '72 would sound good. I guess what I'm trying to say that those 'old' recordings sound much better when compared to what they sound like now.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: August 4, 2023 15:53

24FPS
dcba

Maybe. But things sound better for the Stones with the passage of time. Especially when it has the original Wyman/Watts rhythm section, and a setlist some variance to the norm. El Mocambo sounds great. I'm sure a live album from '72 would sound good. I guess what I'm trying to say that those 'old' recordings sound much better when compared to what they sound like now.

It's a different band today, more relaxed and swinging than rocking and rolling. But I also prefer the "original" rhythm section and Keith's more forward playing in the GOT.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 4, 2023 16:47

24FPS
dcba

I think Jagger has already approved a bunch of shows to be released after the band’s demise in Dick’s Picks fashion.
Being perfectionist he made sure there will be only fine/remarkable performances.
Hopefully we will get to hear ALL the multitracks from the MT years - I do not think there is a bad show in these - plus superlative stuff from the RW years.

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: August 4, 2023 16:57

Where was this show performed? I'm guessing the Capitol Theater in New Jersey or the Palladium in Manhattan?

Date: August 4, 2023 17:01

MisterO
Where was this show performed? I'm guessing the Capitol Theater in New Jersey or the Palladium in Manhattan?

Sir Morgan's Cove in Worcester.

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: August 5, 2023 23:45

24FPS
How come this gig is never mentioned for the Vault? An El Mocambo type recording in a small club prior to their '81 USA tour? Surely they recorded it. Morgan Cove was after El Mocambo. They must have learned their lesson from that one and recorded it right. An interesting set list with a few oldies covers. What's not to like? Does anyone know if they video recorded it?

A couple years ago I spoke to the guy from the Boston radio station that organized the show and he said he didn’t know of any recording. Of course that doesn’t mean there definitely isn’t one, but he said he didn’t know of one and he set it all up.

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: August 5, 2023 23:57

I recall that there were very strong rumors of a small theater show in Boston around September 19-20 that made it to the planning stages before being cancelled due to security concerns. I actually drove up to Boston from Philadelphia with hopes of being nearby when the gig was to be announced on local radio. I was almost to Boston when I got the word that it was not going to happen. No cell phones or internet to spread or investigate such rumors, but it was the same source that ultimately got me to New Haven's Toad's Place in 1989.

HBK

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: August 6, 2023 14:41

The Toronto pre-show 2002 was pretty good and it's one of my favorite bootlegs. Any chance of that one seeing official release?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 6, 2023 14:57

DandelionPowderman
PaintMonkeyManBlack

Mona
Under My Thumb
When the Whip Comes Down
Miss You
Shattered
Neighbours
Let It Bleed
She's So Cold
All Down the Line
Hang Fire
Honky Tonk Women
Start Me Up
Sympathy for the Devil
Brown Sugar
Jumpin' Jack Flash

It would be interesting to hear how "Sympathy" sounded like, since they didn't played much at the time (1978 and 1981/82 tours). Probably it was still the 'road version' dominated by guitar fiesta. Also it would be interesting how they approached "Want to Make Love to You". Still hints of their 1964 version or close to Muddy original. They loved fast tempos at the time, so the 'original' first album version might have worked fine.

The opening with an old show opener "Everybody Needs Somebody To Love" arises question if it was just one night idea, or was it also considered as a show opener for the tour and tested here. They chose another traditional show opener ("Thumb") instead.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-06 15:04 by Doxa.

Date: August 6, 2023 23:38

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
PaintMonkeyManBlack

Mona
Under My Thumb
When the Whip Comes Down
Miss You
Shattered
Neighbours
Let It Bleed
She's So Cold
All Down the Line
Hang Fire
Honky Tonk Women
Start Me Up
Sympathy for the Devil
Brown Sugar
Jumpin' Jack Flash

It would be interesting to hear how "Sympathy" sounded like, since they didn't played much at the time (1978 and 1981/82 tours). Probably it was still the 'road version' dominated by guitar fiesta. Also it would be interesting how they approached "Want to Make Love to You". Still hints of their 1964 version or close to Muddy original. They loved fast tempos at the time, so the 'original' first album version might have worked fine.

The opening with an old show opener "Everybody Needs Somebody To Love" arises question if it was just one night idea, or was it also considered as a show opener for the tour and tested here. They chose another traditional show opener ("Thumb") instead.

- Doxa

Great setlist. Would make a great vault release, though they didn't call El Mocambo a vault release, even though it was. No Security San Jose was called a vault release, Steel Wheels Atlantic City was not. Don't understand the difference contractually. They're all vault releases.

I'm not sure how fast they were playing for the beginning of the '81 tour. It sure as hell wasn't supercharged like their playing at the end of '82.

Date: August 10, 2023 10:20

I heard a lot of rumours that this setlist is not correct and they played 23 songs.

Date: August 10, 2023 12:13

PaintMonkeyManBlack
I heard a lot of rumours that this setlist is not correct and they played 23 songs.

Have they played 23 songs in a club ever? They usually cut down the number of songs when they do clubs.

When that is said, I'm a bit skeptical to ENSTL, Mona and SFTD myself.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 10, 2023 13:24

DandelionPowderman
PaintMonkeyManBlack

Have they played 23 songs in a club ever? They usually cut down the number of songs when they do clubs.

Why Mona? They actually played it at JFK Stadium, Philadelphia, Sept. 26 - a mere 12 days later. There's plenty of taped evidence!

Date: August 10, 2023 13:47

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
PaintMonkeyManBlack

Why Mona? They actually played it at JFK Stadium, Philadelphia, Sept. 26 - a mere 12 days later. There's plenty of taped evidence!

I know, but with that rendition in mind, would they really choose Mona as song #2 in any setlist? smiling smiley

Date: August 10, 2023 13:58

DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
PaintMonkeyManBlack

I know, but with that rendition in mind, would they really choose Mona as song #2 in any setlist? smiling smiley

Imo Mona is a perfect tune for a club show - for a giant stage not so much. So maybe it was the other way round - Mona sounded great at Sir Morgan's Cove, and that's why they tried it on the giant stage (and failed miserably)...

Date: August 10, 2023 15:10

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
PaintMonkeyManBlack

Imo Mona is a perfect tune for a club show - for a giant stage not so much. So maybe it was the other way round - Mona sounded great at Sir Morgan's Cove, and that's why they tried it on the giant stage (and failed miserably)...

Maybe. Would be interesting hearing from someone who attended the gig how it was, though.

Date: August 10, 2023 16:08

DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
PaintMonkeyManBlack

Maybe. Would be interesting hearing from someone who attended the gig how it was, though.

Good luck! So far we don't even have a confirmed setlist, must be even harder to find someone who not just attended, but is even able to give a correct & detailed account of how a certain song actually sounded - despite the high level of adrenaline and possibly alcohol and whatever else!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2179
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home