Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: What a Great Band - Keith and Winos Live in Boston
Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: August 6, 2023 12:40

Chuck?

Posted by: erad ()
Date: August 6, 2023 14:17

Chuck Berry.

Date: August 6, 2023 15:32

I thought Eddie Cochran wrote that bad ass song. Maybe I missunderstood. Let´s just forget it. smiling smiley

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 6, 2023 16:59

Bjorn
I thought Eddie Cochran wrote that bad ass song. Maybe I missunderstood. Let´s just forget it. smiling smiley

It was about the solo in the song.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 6, 2023 17:42

The Eddie Cochran cover for a starter was a nice surprise. Otherwise - I think the drums and the bass drenches every song. Very monotonous. I'm not a fan of the ballads either.
The guitar work between Keith and Waddy is sometimes very good. Waddy is a very accomplished guitarist. Keith sometimes loses it when his solos goes on for to long.

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: August 7, 2023 00:17

Rockman
Dunno .....

Mick Taylor on one track of Talk Is Cheap ....

Yes that's right, forgot about that, thanks Rocky!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: August 7, 2023 01:37

lem motlow

Ditching Ronnie after 10 years was a huge mistake. They’d developed a rapport that was unmatched between two guitar players and it was never the same.
I’m still not so sure what people see in the Winos, weak rhythm section, cliche guitar riffs, weak songs.
Keith has that ability to make a lot of fans think they’re getting “ the real deal” a lot of people who didn’t see the New Barbarians I assume.

The whole point of going solo is to try something different, see things from other perspectives. Ronnie in the winos doesn’t make any sense. It would have been like the current lineup os the stones during Keith’s solo spot.

Winos were a great band. Barbarians, but it’s only my opinion, not always.

I consider the Winos the real deal because THEY ARE the real deal!

C

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: August 8, 2023 10:12

liddas
lem motlow

Ditching Ronnie after 10 years was a huge mistake. They’d developed a rapport that was unmatched between two guitar players and it was never the same.
I’m still not so sure what people see in the Winos, weak rhythm section, cliche guitar riffs, weak songs.
Keith has that ability to make a lot of fans think they’re getting “ the real deal” a lot of people who didn’t see the New Barbarians I assume.

The whole point of going solo is to try something different, see things from other perspectives. Ronnie in the winos doesn’t make any sense. It would have been like the current lineup os the stones during Keith’s solo spot.

Winos were a great band. Barbarians, but it’s only my opinion, not always.

I consider the Winos the real deal because THEY ARE the real deal!

C

That word GREAT gets thrown around a lot. The Who were a great band, Pink Floyd were a great band.
The Winos were a failed side project by a member of The Rolling Stones.
They released two albums both of which bombed and toured a couple of times doing theaters.
They flew commercial because they didn’t make enough to rent a jet.
It’s weak music made by session players, so far from the real deal it’s not funny.
I saw John Primer a few weeks ago, that is the real deal.No matter how many interviews you read with Keith telling you how GREAT it was his solo career was even worse that Jaggers.

Date: August 8, 2023 11:45

Still sounds like a great live band to me. 2 or 3 unnecessary tracks on Main Offender, imo, but all three albums are really good.

Date: August 8, 2023 12:08

lem motlow
They released two albums both of which bombed and toured a couple of times doing theaters.
It’s weak music made by session players, so far from the real deal it’s not funny.
I saw John Primer a few weeks ago, that is the real deal.No matter how many interviews you read with Keith telling you how GREAT it was his solo career was even worse that Jaggers.

Another negative one-note hater hates on. Can't you head off to find the I Hate the Rolling Stones message board and fill your boots there?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 8, 2023 12:51

MadMetaphoricalMax
lem motlow

Another negative one-note hater hates on. Can't you head off to find the I Hate the Rolling Stones message board and fill your boots there?

Oh yes. This is a Rolling Stones fan site, so it is only legitimate to criticize and 'hate' Mick Jagger and his solo works here. But holy Keith Richards and his solo projects are beyond mortal criticism.

Personally, I gave up commenting Keith's solo stuff after the release of CROSSEYED HEART, since I came to realize that the fans of his solo stuff are so sensitive and so protective that there is no room to say anything going against the consensus (of praisal and true love). One just 'spoils the party', etc. It leads nowhere, except to bullying and fights, and just leaves bad vibes. Besides, I realized that since I am not that big fan of that stuff, so why should I comment it in the first place at all (even though it is strongly 'Rolling Stones-related', and as if any Stones fan by nature or by obligation should have an opinion to share about it). I don't go to Beatles sites to tell the people there why I don't appreciate that band that much. So in regard to Keith's solo stuff, I use BV's principle here: I only talk if there is something positive to say. The rest I keep to myself.

But Lem, go on! It is refreshing to read non-orthodox opinions like that. No matter they might shock some people here.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-08 13:19 by Doxa.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 8, 2023 14:07

I love Keith's solo work ..its the earthy sound of it more than anything

but I also like Mick's stuff . Neither are perfect.

But within the Stones, each corrects what's wrong with the other.

Date: August 8, 2023 14:37

Spud

Indeed. However, Ronnie might be the one who came up with the most interesting solo stuff, imo.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 8, 2023 15:51

Love Ronnie's stuff too ...especially Now Look.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: August 8, 2023 18:31

beachbreak
My favorite concert video of theirs, great video/sound and Keith and the boys are rocking so hard.

[www.youtube.com]

The version of Something Else reminded me of Herman Brood. Not the tempo, but the dynamics and roughness and coolness. Keith and him would have been a great fit too.
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 8, 2023 19:52

Spud

It used to be like that, but beginning with ABB (at latest!) both obviously stayed away from their opposite's creative territory - otherwise we would not have Infamy and Streets Of Love on a Stones album...

Date: August 8, 2023 19:56

Right! Good, nice observation. Infamy...

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: August 8, 2023 20:28

retired_dog
It used to be like that, but beginning with ABB (at latest!) both obviously stayed away from their opposite's creative territory - otherwise we would not have Infamy and Streets Of Love on a Stones album...

Great observation. Maybe it's part of the fire missing. But then again I think most of us are that way when we age. But then again we are talking The Rolling Stones.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 8, 2023 22:13

lem motlow
That word GREAT gets thrown around a lot. The Who were a great band, Pink Floyd were a great band.

The Winos failed? When did that happen?

The albums bombed? TALK IS CHEAP got up to #24 and it went gold (in the US - #37 in the UK). MAIN OFFENDER peaked at #99 (#45 in the UK). Not exactly burning up the charts at #99 but still better than #199.

I don't recall there ever being an expectations of either of Keith's albums being chart contenders like Mick's albums were hyped to be.

lem motlow

Oh dear.

Just think of how bands like Nirvana started out in a van. What a failure.

lem motlow

There definitely are some Keith tunes that are stinkers, like It Means A Lot, Yap Yap and Bodytalks.

Mick's had the same deal. Turn The Girl Loose, She's The Boss, Let's Work, Radio Control, Primitive Cool, Gun, Everybody Getting High, Charmed Life.

There are others I don't care to listen to. But to combine the words "weak" and "session players", that's laughable. Waddy did do sessions but he was also in a lot of bands. The rest of the Winos were in bands and, you know, recording sessions. Not sure how you get "session players" out of the Winos.

You make it sound like being a session musician is not real, that they're fake musicians. That's a bizarre way of seeing music.

Of course, one huge difference between their tours was Keith's sets barely had any Stones songs in them, Mick's sets were mostly Stones songs. And Keith's band was a band, Mick's band were session and touring musicians as well as and one struggling solo guitarist.

But as much as Mick's solo albums are all over the place, Keith's are too - just like The Rolling Stones albums. For that matter, neither Mick or Keith are solo artists, they just failed at being one, one purposely, the other because what else was he gonna do.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 8, 2023 22:35

Spud

Yes, and thankfully Keith vetoed Micks Gotta Getta Grip and England Lost..

"When I heard them, all I said was, 'This is not Stones stuff. If you want to put them out, put them out by yourself".

But in hindsight, Keith could have been more accepting and flexible with those terrible Mick tunes - the Stones might have finished the album several years ago.

Date: August 9, 2023 00:05

--

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-09 00:54 by TheflyingDutchman.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1725
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home