Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

When Toronto Rocked
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: July 30, 2023 01:29

Toronto Rocks. SARSstock. July 30, 2003.

Toronto suffered badly from the SARS outbreak. Someone decided that a massive concert could be the emotional and economic boost we needed and the Stones (and a ton of others) were there for us. And…it was my first Stones show. (I know, I know, they damn near lived here for decades and YES I'm a twit…) And as I’ve mentioned in the past, I was so far back that the curvature of the earth made it impossible to see them except on the screens.

Mick had just turned 60 (!!!) and it would definitely be their last tour. But they came back in 2005, and I found this site, and thanks to Bjornulf and all you other loons, it’s been a 20-year adventure. London, 2007 (definitely their final tour!). Newark and Toronto in 2012-13 for their 50-year anniversary (certainly their final tour, just a Victory Lap!!!), the US / Canada tour in 2015, Paris in 2017 (sadly, their final tour), the UK / Europe tour in 2018 (tragically, their last tour and it didn’t end in London as it should have), the 2019 tour (which inexplicably included Burl’s Creek aka Swampfest, clearly demonstrating they had lost their collective marbles and should hang it up), the 2020 tour cancelled due to COVID (sad that they had to cancel their final tour), a 2021 tour of the US to wrap up their career, and the epic 2022 UK / Europe tour. Now, Charlie has left us, Mick is 80, and there are rumours of a 2024 tour. Nobody is betting against them.

Best damn band, best damn fans and best damn website. Grateful for it all!

Re: When Toronto Rocked
Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: July 30, 2023 01:39

All of this for $21.50 (Canadian dollars I guess). Those were the days…

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: July 30, 2023 01:58

Paid $18 a ticket and drove there from Pittsburgh with a good friend of mine.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 30, 2023 02:01

"Toronto suffered badly from the SARS outbreak. Someone decided that a massive concert could be the emotional and economic boost we needed"

fast forward 20 years: everyone and their dog was projected to suffer badly from the proposed SARS2 outbreak. someone decided that two years of agony without any concerts or cultural life could be just what we needed

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: July 30, 2023 02:13

there was a dvd too
Happy i got it
at the same time there was a 4dvd version of the one plus one film.
didnt have money for both so i got the Toronto dvd.
did the 4 dvd version of the one plus one film contain extra stones content? its only here that i can hear about that.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 30, 2023 02:23

Twenty years ago...wow!

From what I recall reading of the event, it was the day that AC/DC blew away the Stones (according to many in attendance), the day that the drummer for Rush met Charlie Watts,
and the day that Justin Timberlake made an unwelcome appearance with the Stones with Keith getting angry and scolding the crowd when they began booing Justin during Miss You.
As for me, I had just seen the three shows in Stockholm the week prior, and was awaiting the Stones return to Europe to see all the shows in the Netherlands, London, and Glasgow. 'Twas an amazing summer!

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 30, 2023 07:04

Hairball
Twenty years ago...wow!

From what I recall reading of the event, it was the day that AC/DC blew away the Stones (according to many in attendance), the day that the drummer for Rush met Charlie Watts,
and the day that Justin Timberlake made an unwelcome appearance with the Stones with Keith getting angry and scolding the crowd when they began booing Justin during Miss You.
As for me, I had just seen the three shows in Stockholm the week prior, and was awaiting the Stones return to Europe to see all the shows in the Netherlands, London, and Glasgow. 'Twas an amazing summer!

Yup. It was a hoot!

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: July 30, 2023 07:54

Hairball
Twenty years ago...wow!

It was a long day and the crowd tired out before the stones hit the stage.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 30, 2023 12:45

They were in the middle of their European Tour back then in the summer of 2003, and left Europe, crossing the Atlantic, for a one-off show in support of Toronto. Like Keith said on stage: "We are all here for weired reasons"...

The Rolling Stones went on stage at 10pm, and they performed for 1h 40 min. Like me, they were on European Time Zone, 6h ahead of EST in Toronto, so it was really a performance from 4am until shortly before 6am the next morning in theirs as well as my "body clocks". No wonder they did not have the same energy as AC/DC on stage that night.

Still, that day was a great memory, and hot, hot, hot!

SarsStock Toronto Canada 2003 memories (IORR)

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-30 12:46 by bv.

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: July 30, 2023 19:04

Yup...ACDC stole the thunder from the Stones that day. The crowd was absolutely exhausted by the time the Stones hit the stage. We had been out in a blistering heat with little water all day. Many had walked miles just to get to the grounds due to limited parking. ACDC came late in the day and played short, snappy versions of their greatest hits to an audience that was ready to party. After they departed, The Stones waited too long before coming on and played too-long versions of their songs. They seemed endless to a heat-fatigued audience. Everyone was so numbed and tired. A substantial part of the crowd was ready to begin the trek home. The Stones also sounded tired, as well. I remember thinking that Mick was really trying hard to get the crowd amped up but to no avail. It still was a memorable event!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-30 20:45 by ThePaleRider.

Posted by: Chitown23 ()
Date: July 30, 2023 20:01

Drove up from Chicago. Didn't plan well. Watched from the screens because so far from stage. What an experience.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-31 01:36 by Chitown23.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 30, 2023 20:24

Nice. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: downagain ()
Date: July 31, 2023 15:57

I can echo the other sentiments about it being a hot, long, day. Tons of great performances and definitely not the best I'd seen the Stones perform.

One side note which was bad at the time but kind of funny in retrospect...around the time of SARS there was also a mad cow issue within the Canadian beef industry. As such there were promoting the hell out of beef and you could buy a big steak sandwich there for something like 5 bucks. Anyway, the bad/funny part is that, between some of the acts, Ackroyd and Belushi were doing these truly horrible bits to promote the beef industry. I never did pick up the DVD...I wonder if any of them are on there.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: July 31, 2023 18:11

Amazingly hot and memorable day...
Yes, many cheap beef options to choose from and a beer tent paradise a mile away from the stage. Still impressed with the onsite operation of immediately printing concert shirts as they were being sold from the truck. Might be my favorite shirt of all-time.

Military jet flyover boomed unexpectedly while I was in a porta-john. I thought it was an earthquake! What at day!

The rumors of AC/DC just killing it are all true.

Last thing I remember is climbing over a knocked-down section of security fence to get off the tarmac at the end of an extremely long day as the fireworks were blasting off behind us.
Satisfaction, indeed!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 31, 2023 19:29

I remember leaving the grounds after the show with my wife, all you could hear was the crunching sound of thousands of disposed plastic water bottles as they were walked on.

Posted by: StonesSoCal ()
Date: July 31, 2023 20:14

What a day... went to Toronto just for the day for the show. We were about 5 rows back. Didn't go to sleep the night we arrived and partied with Jerry Stone at his Stones bar the entire night before the show. We were in Toronto for less than 24 hours and then back to California. The memories made it worth it. You only live once smiling smiley

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: August 1, 2023 09:18

"The Stones gave us an hour – that’s a dangerous thing to do. You don’t give us an hour before you go on, mate ... The whole band just nailed it. We got into the van offstage and went, “Yeah, f**king follow that !".

Phil Rudd, Drum magazine, 2005.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-01 09:24 by powerage78.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: August 1, 2023 17:43

NO ONE could have "followed that!"
AC/DC were as powerful that day as any band I've ever seen...

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: August 1, 2023 18:44

AC/DC were damned good but likely were remembered as having "blown off the Stones" because the Stones kept the crowd waiting over an hour. When they did finally come on much of the crowd was exhausted, thirsty and hungry. It was disconcerting sitting in the dark in another country with half a million strangers. Fortunately Canadians are a friendly lot. Still, we bailed when the trotted Justin Timberlake out to sing "Miss You."

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 1, 2023 18:57

rbk
AC/DC were damned good but likely were remembered as having "blown off the Stones" because the Stones kept the crowd waiting over an hour. When they did finally come on much of the crowd was exhausted, thirsty and hungry. It was disconcerting sitting in the dark in another country with half a million strangers. Fortunately Canadians are a friendly lot. Still, we bailed when the trotted Justin Timberlake out to sing "Miss You."[/quote

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-01 19:54 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: August 1, 2023 22:12

Like many others have said, the passage of time is almost surreal. I remember following the Toronto show in the days after on IORR - pictures/setlist/video, to then waiting (im)patiently to get my hands on a bootleg VHS of the broadcast. Twenty bloody years! I hear that phrase, "Where did the time go?" - a bittersweet, nostalgic melancholy. I dont know where it went, but those were magical days.

Licks was the first Stones jaunt I could follow online - got online in 2000, joined this forum, and 2002-2003 could actually follow a tour, show by show; wonderful. Into '03, trading for Licks show soundboards, boots, TV broadcasts (MSG '03, Bangalore, Toronto). The 'Clicks tour of the Licks tour' 2-DVD boot of the clips put up on the official site after each tour stop. Fandom into overdrive

Toronto had such a great lineup, culminating in two of the most iconic rock'n'roll outfits of our age. I still have vivid memory of procuring that proshot, purchasing alcohol, setting time aside to view the prized new possession. To rock and/or roll (both!) with the Stones - on VHS - in living coloursmiling smiley

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 1, 2023 22:13

powerage78
"The Stones gave us an hour – that’s a dangerous thing to do. You don’t give us an hour before you go on, mate ... The whole band just nailed it. We got into the van offstage and went, “Yeah, f**king follow that !".

Watching the DVD, it was a typical AC/DC performance. High energy hard rock and I'm sure the crowd knew more of their songs than the Stones songs! One hour of hits. You always here AC/DC songs during sporting events. Can't believe that this year will be 40 years since my first AC/DC show, time sure flies!

Date: August 2, 2023 10:59

DGA35
powerage78

Watching the DVD, it was a typical AC/DC performance. High energy hard rock and I'm sure the crowd knew more of their songs than the Stones songs! One hour of hits. You always here AC/DC songs during sporting events. Can't believe that this year will be 40 years since my first AC/DC show, time sure flies!

Summer 1984 ?

Date: August 2, 2023 11:43

Posted by: downagain ()
Date: August 2, 2023 16:44

AC/DC were just better, regardless of any waiting before the Stones took the stage or fan fatique after a long day. I'm not a big AC/DC fan so no bias that way, on my part.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 2, 2023 20:00

powerage78
DGA35
powerage78

Summer 1984 ?

Nope Oct 83, Pacific Coliseum in Vancouver, first night of the Flick of the Switch tour w/Fastway opening and Simon Wright's first show. Saw Fastway in the same venue a few months prior when it was Iron Maiden/Saxon/Fastway.

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: August 2, 2023 20:23

A quote I remember at the time was related to how the guitar volumes were much louder for AC/DC’s set. “The Stones need to turn up the volume on their guitars.”

Date: August 2, 2023 23:15

DGA35
powerage78
DGA35
powerage78

Summer 1984 ?

Nope Oct 83, Pacific Coliseum in Vancouver, first night of the Flick of the Switch tour w/Fastway opening and Simon Wright's first show. Saw Fastway in the same venue a few months prior
when it was Iron Maiden/Saxon/Fastway.

Thanks smileys with beer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1961
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home