Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314Next
Current Page: 12 of 14
Re: Happy 80th Birthday Mick Jagger July 26, 2023
Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: July 29, 2023 19:29

Testify
I'm happy for Mick, it's nice to see him with his extended family, he's a lucky guy or more simply I think he's a fantastic and generous person but it's nice to see them! I don't care how old everyone is and what clothes they're wearing, I don't care to count how much hair Mick has lost, I leave that to frivolous people and there's just too much for my liking.

Yes i look at it the same way, it doesn't bother me what wig he has or how old and ravaged he looks, it just makes it more fascinating they still tour and best of all while Mick looks so old but he and Keith still do their gig, well it means I'M NOT OLD. smileys with beer

Mick in London, July 29
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 29, 2023 19:31

Day Three of England and Australia cricket series at The Kia Oval:

Mick in London, July 29
Date: July 30, 2023 13:44

With Richard Thompson, chairman of the England Cricket Board

Happy 80th Birthday Mick Jagger July 26, 2023
Date: July 30, 2023 23:20

Mick Jagger is 80. Let’s pay tribute to his greatest gift to the world

Donald Clarke: Mick Jagger and his peers liberated young men from requirement to dress like their dad

The Rolling Stones in 1968: Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts, Bill Wyman and Brian Jones. Photograph: Camera PRes/JBA

Donald Clarke
Sun Jul 30 2023

As Michael Jagger reaches an impossible 80th birthday, let us ponder his greatest gift to the world.

In 1967, William Rees-Mogg, then editor of the London Times, but not yet father of Jacob, dragged Alexander Pope into an editorial on the recent drugs bust (as he almost certainly wouldn’t have called it) at Keith Richards’s house in rural Sussex. Both the householder and his pal Mick were slung into the nick for a night while the commentarial pondered the consequences. Perhaps surprisingly, it was Rees-Mogg’s piece in the Thunderer, rather than any hand-wringing in the Guardian, that is remembered as the most potent defence. “Who Breaks a Butterfly on a Wheel?,” he asked, quoting from Pope’s Epistle to Dr Arbuthnot. The editor went on to air a suspicion “that Mr Jagger received a more severe sentence than would have been thought proper for any purely anonymous young man”. Mick eventually got away with a conditional discharge.

Rees-Mogg was just the right side of 40 at the time of the arrest. Contemporaneous photographs show a sober-looking, grey-suited individual wearing the sort of heavy glasses that have since passed through a style revolution and become vaguely trendy. A high forehead is topped by a straggled parting. He looks, in short, as all everyday men were once supposed to look when they passed the age of 25. You wore a suit and tie from Monday to Friday. You only ever wore denim if you worked on the railways. Hair and collar were never in contact. The trouser fly was the only place a zip was found on your clothing.

This wasn’t entirely a class thing. Look at photographs of British football crowds in 1960 and you will see quite a few dressed as if for a formal appointment. There is little colour to the garments. “Ladies” encountered a more complex series of informal regulations, but, to a certain point in history, they were still expected to dress for the village fete when 30 loomed. Rees-Mogg was, in 1967, well over a decade younger than Jade Jagger, daughter of Mick and Bianca, is at time of writing. Happily, she does not yet feel the need to pull on sober formal prints when presenting her latest jewellery collection.

Anyway, Mick Jagger was 80 on Wednesday. This scarcely seems possible. It is like learning Bosco or Paddington is 80. As with those fictional characters, Sir Michael seems – let’s not look too close – forever manacled to the age at which the wider world first met him. The same year as of the drugs bust, the Sunday Times Magazine asked artist Michael Leonard to create an impression of what Jagger would look like 30 years hence. At this stage the notion of the Beatles and the Stones reaching middle age was the stuff of science fiction. Most everyone assumed their music would soon be as unfashionable as George Formby’s then was. Leonard delivers something between a Belle Époque roué and a rougher Noël Coward. His hair receding (as if), black cigarette in a silver holder, Jagger scowls downwards in an apparent state of imperial regret. He wears a white polo neck and an odd furry high collar. One could imagine this version, alone in a gothic castle, sadly reliving that brief dawn when he ruled the world. Like Norma Desmond in Sunset Boulevard. Only a dead monkey for company.

That was not how things worked out. At the age of 54, Jagger was a marginally more creased variation on the 1967 edition. He was still touring with the Stones. Rather than dressing like a faded silent star, he sported lurid tracksuits while leaping explosively round the world’s great stadiums. Twenty-six years later there isn’t much to add. It is less than 12 months since the Stones worked through their hits on the 60th anniversary tour. The face still looked like a friendly old saddle.

What else would you expect? By the time William Rees-Mogg had written that editorial, Jagger and his generation had liberated young men from the requirement to dress like their dad the minute they attained voting age. Jagger more than anyone else. The Beatles began in their nice little suits. The Stones frontman strolled before the camera in a polo shirt, checked slacks and desert boots. The world noticed and did the same. Manners altered accordingly. Not everyone could live Jagger’s extravagant life, but you needn’t adopt the tweedy bristle of a golf club bore either. Jagger and crewri. It was not a change to compare with the great social liberations of the 1960s, but it mattered for those who chose to get on board.

Not everyone did. Jacob Rees-Mogg was born in 1969. But that’s a story for another day.

[www.irishtimes.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 31, 2023 00:14

....here we go again .......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: July 31, 2023 00:29

bye bye johnny

Donald Clarke: Mick Jagger and his peers liberated young men from requirement to dress like their dad

The Rolling Stones in 1968: Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts, Bill Wyman and Brian Jones. Photograph: Camera PRes/JBA

Donald Clarke
Sun Jul 30 2023

As Michael Jagger reaches an impossible 80th birthday, let us ponder his greatest gift to the world.

In 1967, William Rees-Mogg, then editor of the London Times, but not yet father of Jacob, dragged Alexander Pope into an editorial on the recent drugs bust (as he almost certainly wouldn’t have called it) at Keith Richards’s house in rural Sussex. Both the householder and his pal Mick were slung into the nick for a night while the commentarial pondered the consequences. Perhaps surprisingly, it was Rees-Mogg’s piece in the Thunderer, rather than any hand-wringing in the Guardian, that is remembered as the most potent defence. “Who Breaks a Butterfly on a Wheel?,” he asked, quoting from Pope’s Epistle to Dr Arbuthnot. The editor went on to air a suspicion “that Mr Jagger received a more severe sentence than would have been thought proper for any purely anonymous young man”. Mick eventually got away with a conditional discharge.

Rees-Mogg was just the right side of 40 at the time of the arrest. Contemporaneous photographs show a sober-looking, grey-suited individual wearing the sort of heavy glasses that have since passed through a style revolution and become vaguely trendy. A high forehead is topped by a straggled parting. He looks, in short, as all everyday men were once supposed to look when they passed the age of 25. You wore a suit and tie from Monday to Friday. You only ever wore denim if you worked on the railways. Hair and collar were never in contact. The trouser fly was the only place a zip was found on your clothing.

This wasn’t entirely a class thing. Look at photographs of British football crowds in 1960 and you will see quite a few dressed as if for a formal appointment. There is little colour to the garments. “Ladies” encountered a more complex series of informal regulations, but, to a certain point in history, they were still expected to dress for the village fete when 30 loomed. Rees-Mogg was, in 1967, well over a decade younger than Jade Jagger, daughter of Mick and Bianca, is at time of writing. Happily, she does not yet feel the need to pull on sober formal prints when presenting her latest jewellery collection.

Anyway, Mick Jagger was 80 on Wednesday. This scarcely seems possible. It is like learning Bosco or Paddington is 80. As with those fictional characters, Sir Michael seems – let’s not look too close – forever manacled to the age at which the wider world first met him. The same year as of the drugs bust, the Sunday Times Magazine asked artist Michael Leonard to create an impression of what Jagger would look like 30 years hence. At this stage the notion of the Beatles and the Stones reaching middle age was the stuff of science fiction. Most everyone assumed their music would soon be as unfashionable as George Formby’s then was. Leonard delivers something between a Belle Époque roué and a rougher Noël Coward. His hair receding (as if), black cigarette in a silver holder, Jagger scowls downwards in an apparent state of imperial regret. He wears a white polo neck and an odd furry high collar. One could imagine this version, alone in a gothic castle, sadly reliving that brief dawn when he ruled the world. Like Norma Desmond in Sunset Boulevard. Only a dead monkey for company.

That was not how things worked out. At the age of 54, Jagger was a marginally more creased variation on the 1967 edition. He was still touring with the Stones. Rather than dressing like a faded silent star, he sported lurid tracksuits while leaping explosively round the world’s great stadiums. Twenty-six years later there isn’t much to add. It is less than 12 months since the Stones worked through their hits on the 60th anniversary tour. The face still looked like a friendly old saddle.

What else would you expect? By the time William Rees-Mogg had written that editorial, Jagger and his generation had liberated young men from the requirement to dress like their dad the minute they attained voting age. Jagger more than anyone else. The Beatles began in their nice little suits. The Stones frontman strolled before the camera in a polo shirt, checked slacks and desert boots. The world noticed and did the same. Manners altered accordingly. Not everyone could live Jagger’s extravagant life, but you needn’t adopt the tweedy bristle of a golf club bore either. Jagger and crewri. It was not a change to compare with the great social liberations of the 1960s, but it mattered for those who chose to get on board.

Not everyone did. Jacob Rees-Mogg was born in 1969. But that’s a story for another day.

[www.irishtimes.com]

Ironically, William's son Jacob (mentioned above near the end) does dress exactly like his own father. And doubly ironically (and actually rather creepy "mini-me") his son (name unkown to me), who is hardly in his teens, ALSO dresses in the same early 20th century style. (Perhaps more accurately... is dressed by his parents in the same early 20th century style).. 3 piece suit (incl waistcoat).

Stones pedants may care to count the hands in the above photo, and then explain. :-)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-31 02:06 by CaptainCorella.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 31, 2023 13:01

marquess
Hello!

I hereby share a posta made in Facebook by Stephen Stills, regarding Mick’s birthday:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0FFUeXCKqjperKPpugKKgrf8g3NSSXnXy3v6JimT1VQRaadGdx6zF8Dj39Jc9wa1Ml&id=100065244590553]Stephen Stills 1970[/url]

Fixed your linka: [www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-31 13:01 by Koen.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: July 31, 2023 18:22

CaptainCorella
bye bye johnny

Stones pedants may care to count the hands in the above photo, and then explain. :-)

ELEVEN!?!?
Clearly, the extra creepy extra hand must belong to Matt Clifford.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: July 31, 2023 19:08

I thought that was Piers Morgan's hand.

Re: Mick in London, July 28
Posted by: BFR ()
Date: July 31, 2023 23:19

Lady Jayne

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Isn't that also his eldest, Karis, in the bottom left.

And also his son James in front of her.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: August 1, 2023 02:37

BFR
Lady Jayne

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

And Karis' children, Mick's grandchildren, Maisie (next to Karis) and Zak (next to James). Happy family times!

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: August 1, 2023 09:40

Great to see Mick with so many of his children and grandchildren. A big measure of success in life is if your children are happy, well-adjusted, and close to the family. Mick and Keith have done surprisingly well in this regard.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: August 1, 2023 13:12

Is there any guest list around?

Date: August 1, 2023 13:15

Happy belated birthday Mick .smoking smiley

Posted by: Harry ()
Date: August 1, 2023 14:01

Lady Jayne
BFR
Lady Jayne

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

And Karis' children, Mick's grandchildren, Maisie (next to Karis) and Zak (next to James). Happy family times!

And brother Chris next to Mick

Date: August 1, 2023 14:45

Mick's personal assistant Dom Faccini on the right.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: August 1, 2023 17:19

Harry
Lady Jayne
BFR
Lady Jayne

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Stop and think about this for a second: Just about everyone on this board at one time or another via purchase of albums, CDs, concert tickets, various merchandise (t shirts, jackets, hats, etc) has contributed to making Sir Mick (a very successful) man of wealth and taste. Let's give ourselves a round applause! smileys with beer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-01 17:27 by Sighunt.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: August 1, 2023 18:15

Does anyone else think that the bearded guy next to Matt Clifford looks like film director Sam Mendes? Especially in the pic without his sunglasses on.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: August 1, 2023 21:04

Beast
Does anyone else think that the bearded guy next to Matt Clifford looks like film director Sam Mendes? Especially in the pic without his sunglasses on.

It is Sam Mendes. He's a massive cricket fan.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: August 1, 2023 21:34

Sighunt
Harry
Lady Jayne
BFR
Lady Jayne

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

I'm with your there, Sighunt thumbs up

smileys with beer

Stop and think about this for a second: Just about everyone on this board at one time or another via purchase of albums, CDs, concert tickets, various merchandise (t shirts, jackets, hats, etc) has contributed to making Sir Mick (a very successful) man of wealth and taste. Let's give ourselves a round applause! smileys with beer

I'm with you there Sighunt thumbs up

smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: August 9, 2023 13:30

And again no Keith in attendance.

Date: August 9, 2023 14:58

I don't think Keith goes to a whole lot of cricket matches to begin with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-09 14:59 by Topi.

Date: August 9, 2023 15:36

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 9, 2023 16:02

Topi
I don't think Keith goes to a whole lot of cricket matches to begin with.

And he lives across the Atlantic, of course I hardly think flying all that way, aged 79, only to attend a party until the early hours, is the 'thing' to do for an elderly gentleman. 30 years ago, perhaps. Besides: hasn't Keith said before that he hates night clubs?

edit: oh, we're referencing the cricket here, aren't we? Not Mick's birthday bash. Yes, I can't see Keith at a cricket match, either. That's a Mick and Bill Wyman thing.

Date: August 9, 2023 16:08

Mick's joined Leonardo Di Caprio, on the latter's extended summer break.

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Date: August 9, 2023 16:13

PaintMonkeyManBlack
[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Sorry, I didn't spot your post!

I hope Toby Maguire doesn't get too jealous, with Mick stealing Leonardo's time!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 9, 2023 16:37

Even for a gossip magazine I must say that The Daily Mail is quite unflattering. They are not exactly piling up flatter on a platter, to quote a famous Jagger song...

Date: August 9, 2023 17:38

Glanced through the gossip mag: Seems to be the usual mix of young fashion models and older male celebrities. One thing I noticed though: Seems like Jagger's ankle problem is either gone or much better.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 9, 2023 18:49

Stoneage
Glanced through the gossip mag: Seems to be the usual mix of young fashion models and older male celebrities. One thing I noticed though: Seems like Jagger's ankle problem is either gone or much better.

You could diagnose that from glancing through a gossip mag? confused smiley

Date: August 9, 2023 19:39

Koen
Stoneage

You could diagnose that from glancing through a gossip mag? confused smiley

Yep, if you look at the pictures he's stepping on and off boats and climbing ladders. With some assistance but nevertheless - that is not something you'll do with a severe injury.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314Next
Current Page: 12 of 14

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2220
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home